3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Aartform Curby 3D 3.0

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 20:14
New on Steam:

Quote: "Aartform Curvy 3D is an innovative sculpting package for Windows, ideal for first time 3D artists. Curvy brings new speed to 3D modelling by letting you draw shapes straight into 3D. Create whole models with just a few strokes. Sculpting 3D models for art and games is quick and hassle free. Colours and shapes are easy to work with using Curvy's artist friendly tools. You can sketch and paint colours, forms and bumps directly onto your 3D models, and then export models and textures for use in other 3D software."

Would anybody recommend this program to create custom assets?

GPU: GTX 660, CPU: i7 3770 Intel 3.40ghz x4, PSU: 650 Watt, RAM: 8GB DDR3, OS: Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
PM
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 21:53
The main issue that I see, is that it creates a very high poly asset. Perhaps if it is able to be reduced (with a tool such as Action 3D), without too much damage...then exported to the .X format; you could use it successfully.
PM
dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 14:49
I just tried the demo. This does create high poly meshes for sure, It has a built in reducer, which works ok. But I personally would build a base mesh in another modeling program, then use http://3d-coat.com/ to paint and do your normal maps. 3d coat is amazing! Been using it since it was first released. You can create awesome normal maps in realtime without adding polys. It does have a sculpting feature which I never touched yet, to build models from scratch. But I am an old school poly modeler so build my meshes from box or face extrusions, then paint my normals. Sculpting has come a long way though so you might find a different way than mine I would definitely try out the 3dcoat demo and see if you like it. And The educational license they offer is not just for those involved in education anymore and is only 99 dollars, same as curvy.

Direct quote from website:

The policy on the 3D-Coat Educational version have been changed. We offer 3D-Coat to students, hobbyists and amateurs pursuing non-commercial goals, so as senior people and unemployed at $99 US.

FROGS!
Dralel
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 18:38
Looks great, how hard is 3D-Coat to use for an inexperienced modeller?

GPU: GTX 660, CPU: i7 3770 Intel 3.40ghz x4, PSU: 650 Watt, RAM: 8GB DDR3, OS: Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
PM
Jackal
Years of Service
User Offline
Wings 3d is the easiest low poly modeling software there is. For normal maps. Use sculptris... Both are free and cool.

Ya' what that one said.....
PM
dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2013 13:52
I personally only use 3dcoat for painting and normal maps, I would not recommend it to make game models. Yep, as Jackal said Wings is a very good software for low poly modeling. Probably the best free one out there. Sculptris I haven't used in quite some time, it looks like they even added painting feature to it now, pretty cool. I'll have to give it a whirl as well.

FROGS!
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2013 16:46
Only if you know of a reliable way to reduce polycount of your models.

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com

"absurdity has become necessity"
UltraVox
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2013 09:14
@KeithC

Quote: "The main issue that I see, is that it creates a very high poly asset. Perhaps if it is able to be reduced (with a tool such as Action 3D), without too much damage...then exported to the .X format; you could use it successfully. "

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 01:02:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 01:02:10