Feature Creep / Oceans

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I think FPSC Reloaded should allow the designer to choose to start with all ocean so he doesn't have to waste time turning dry land into ocean. It would be nice to see negative depth makes ocean water not just plain water. Ocean water should be rough and choppy making a swim impossible and there should be cresting waves hitting the beach.

My game idea is a man stranded on a island similar to Far Cry game one. I loved the ocean in Far Cry. I played WOW and if you swim too far from land, you will soon drown.

Good idea I think.

BJMGraphics
PM
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2013 01:12
Good idea.

So in addition to the standard options "New Random Level" and "New Flat Level" we'd also have "New Ocean Level". I guess you wouldn't want it to be too deep though.

Powered by Free Banners
FPSC Reloaded
Years of Service
User Offline
Deep seas can play as a natural barrier to discourage players from exploring any further without a proper water craft.

BJMGraphics
PM
Thurnok
Years of Service
User Offline
I would rather have an option to set the flat level's elevation. So then you could say, select Flat Level with an elevation of -100 and you have 100 ft. water your entire map, then build from there. Which conversely means you could set flat level at elevation +100 and its all land 100 ft. above sea level. Of course, setting the level should be an entry (or slider and entry combo) so you could set any arbitrary value.
PM
Tingalls
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2013 03:41
Thurnok -- That is a great idea you have. It would be nice to be able to do the same thing with the level button in the editor.
spudnick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2013 18:44 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2013 18:48
I would also like to see such a feature.

And also to enable one to raise or lower the freshold of the water level and to also see a value/coordinates of the height of the water.
PM
Uman
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Oceans would be good for those few people who may want to have them.

Again you have to be realistic. Reloaded has a world size and limited for a reason as well as there being many other considerations. An ocean is a big place.

Realistic representation of an Ocean in all its facets would probably require very advanced systems which I am not sure would be very realistic in considering.

Deeper water possibility may be a realistic option I don't know you would have to ask Lee.

At the moment it would be good to get dry land sorted.

spudnick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 23:30 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2013 23:42
Just to say that in fpsc x9 with no mod i managed to achieve such ocean effect from using a shader and an entity with a good bump map for which can be shaped to any design.

here is an old vid

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfcoqP5Fuy4

for some reason when using the ocean that i made the frame rate got better, so i guess the less land there is the less to process,

i have not had time to learn how reloaded ticks yet, but i will try and implement the same into it,

then i can also insert items like my fountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGPLOVtrKZQ

aw i think scenes will be so fab
PM
Thurnok
Years of Service
User Offline
In addition to having the ability to set the flat level's elevation, making your flat level either all land or all water at any height/depth (depending on positive or negative number), perhaps a depth (designer *set-able*) for where shallow water ends and deep / ocean water begins could be done.

So in essence, you should be able to do the following:

- set the map's (individual level) water table level (at what height does the water table begin == 0, 10, -30, etc.)

- set the default flat level starting height (0, 230, -25, etc.)

- set the deep water starting height (-100, -50, -580, even a positive height but force validation to be lower than starting water table level)

- set an area's water table level

With these capabilites, you could for example do the following:

- set map water table level (where water starts by default for entire map) to 15

- set flat level starting height to 25

- set deep water starting height to -100

- create a flat level (would start as all land at 25 feet above sea level)

- dig down in certain areas to -20 (would create some lake areas about 35 feet deep)

- create some mountains at about 500 feet high, and in center of one dig to 450 (50 feet down from top)

- select the area in the crater you just dug to 450 and set the water table height in that area to 480 (this would make a lake in the crater 20 feet down from the top and about 30 feet deep)

- go to within 1/4th the end of one end/corner of the map and dig a sizable area extending to the end of the map, starting at a shallow depth of 0 and gradually getting deeper towards the end of the map to a depth of -200 (this would set the the water depth near the shore to about 15 feet deep, and somewhere between there and the end of the map, deep water [ocean rendering] would begin)
PM
Steohl72
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2013 12:55
I would prefer if water was lika a plane you could easily adjust the water levels (depth) and also the size of it.

If you could adjust the size of the water plane you would be able to have water in some areas an no water in others - that would be great.

As it works today you have water over the whole map at a certain depth. Which can create some big issues.
PM
Thurnok
Years of Service
User Offline
That's pretty much what you would get with my suggestion, except you could also set the *default* height so as not to require manually filling in every lake and river you decide to make on a map. Only those areas where you wanted a custom water table height would then have to be done (in an area - square or otherwise I would hope as well).

So you dig 8 lakes on your map, using the default, not having to set each one individually, and then that one you want on top of a mountain you set the area where you are placing it to have a water table height according to your needs.

This also means if you want to avoid any *issues* as you put it, you can simply set the *default* height for the water table on a map to so low it wouldn't cause them. Like -10,000 for example. You would still be able to set certain areas to your custom height as well.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2013 14:05
I agree with both Steohl72 & Thurnok,it would give us a lot more freedom.

Dave

AMD Phenom(tm)IIx6 1090t Processor 3.20 GHS

8.00 GB memory Windows 7 64 bit

Nvida Geforce GTX 580
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 23:03:31
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 23:03:31