Scripts / FPE Files

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 06:46
I guess this would be more than anything be a question directly for Lee, but are we going to remain with using the FPE files? Even if a different scripting language comes about?

I think it be a good idea so we can keep some of our older packs working for Reloaded. What do people think about this?

http://t-boneproductions.blogspot.ca/
spudnick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2013 19:56 Edited at: 9th Nov 2013 11:43
To find out more on what is actually being done and so on i read Lee's blog as thats where i find more about what is going on.

[href=]fpscreloaded.blogspot.co.uk[/href]
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2013 23:17 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2013 00:31
I know. I read Lee's blog everyday lol

Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2013 19:57
I guess that once a final decision has been made someone will write a short utility to convert existing .fpe files into the new format. Should () be straightforward.

Powered by Free Banners
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2013 02:24 Edited at: 18th Nov 2013 02:25
Yes, I agree a converter should be straight forward.

The one thing that some people seem to not realize about LUA is that it is an industry standard AND if you learn LUA you will have a skill that you can take with you to other environments.

Part of what makes FPSC so cool is that it is a fairly easy (and very fun) way to get into game development. Personally, I believe part of the mission should be to get kids (or life-long learners) interested in programming. And while you can definitely learn some of the basics of programming with FPE, you will gain more "real world" skills if you know LUA.

Maybe this is not as important for some folks here but I know that FPSCx10 actually got my kids excited about the possibility of creating their own games.

Since I am going off-topic I'll just go all the way:

For other like-minded parents who want to show their kids that producing games can be as fun and rewarding as playing them there is a really fantastic 2D, HTML5 game engine called Construct2 that has the same kind of spirit as FPSC while also being a very serious development environment. With FPSC and Construct 2, there are some fun and realistic ways to get kids interested in programming/development.
unfamillia
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2013 14:02
Srealist,

Thanks for the heads up about Construct2. I will be playing with the free version tonight, with a look to purchasing. It looks like a great little engine.

Jay.

SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 21:36
Unfamilia, You won't regret purchasing Construct2, I've used it for my first Android and iPhone game release. It's really a good engine. If we could have the same sort of "scripting" engine for FPSC-R then that would be amazing! It uses an event based click and drag model for "scripting". It'd be brilliant for a kid to learn the logical structure behind programming.

Landman

Artrift.com - Digital Art Community | MyPixelbox.net - My Creative Blog
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2013 22:17
Yeah, I LOVE Construct2...LOVE LOVE it. New Betas almost every week with stable builds once a month. Almost as soon as something new comes out for HTML5 it is incorporated. Multiplayer is coming very soon. They already have full support for 3D audio and effects, webGL shaders, tilemaps, Spriter support, Node WebKit, and on and on.

It's great for serious and casual HTML5/2D developers.
spudnick
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought this post was about FPE files and all im reading is about another game engine,never thought this fpscr forum was going to talk about other software.

PM
MadLad Designs
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2013 21:32
Please keep it on topic guys.

"I find your lack of grammar disturbing..."

Check out the FPSC Reloaded FAQ!
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 00:31 Edited at: 21st May 2015 19:59
Just so people know... I'm talking about FPE not FPI.
i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce 420 GT

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:49:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:49:52