3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Entity Shaders

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2013 22:27
I see that the basic entity shader is only using _D, _N, and _S and doesn't actually process an _I texture (though the comments at the top of the shader would lead one to believe otherwise).

Am curious to know what's the plan. Does the alpha channel on the specular texture give us illumination? Is that currently supported?

Also can we use other PS3 shaders right now or are the existing shaders hard coded? I noticed the following comment about the water plane for entities: "VALUES PROVIDED FROM FPSC - NON TWEAKABLE". Which makes sense for the water plane just wondering if we are limited to only using the provided shaders (which are very nice).

Thanks!!
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2013 02:51
Also, is this the right sub-forum to post in? Maybe the general would be better for this...dunno.
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 20:30
Quote: "just wondering if we are limited to only using the provided shaders (which are very nice)."

No, you can use your own shaders - but they must use the same naming conventions for fx filenames, tweakables, non-tweakables and textures. So you can use your own shader instead of "terrain_basic.fx" for example. But you must study the code carefully and make sure you match your filenames, etc, correctly.

That seems to be the situation at the moment. Shaders for entities might be a little different since you might be able to specify the fx filename in a script somewhere - but I'd guess you still need to use variable names which the engine will recognize.

That's my understanding of the current state of play and is probably incomplete.

Powered by Free Banners
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 21:00
Thanks, GG. Do you happen to know if illumination is handled in the current entity shaders? And if so, is it based on the alpha channel of the spec texture?

I'm limited right now to kinds of testing I can do. Thanks!
Green Gandalf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2013 21:24
Quote: "Do you happen to know if illumination is handled in the current entity shaders?"

I've looked at the "entity_basic.fx" shader and as far as I can tell the only "illumination" is the combination of lighting and shadows. The shadows require internally computed depth maps. Perhaps you are thinking of "emissive" lighting where objects have their own illuminated areas - such as a glowing rock or a monster with glowing green eyes?

I'm sure Bond1 can advise you more accurately but I guess he's busy with all this.