Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 17:15 Edited at: 14th Jun 2017 17:36
I think this might be a better dish I'm still not sure though
think ive got it now

I will update my turret pack with this dish
Welcome to the real world!
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-2600K @3.40GHz - 32.0GB RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 4x500GB SSD Striped

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 17:39
heres the new turret pack
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-2600K @3.40GHz - 32.0GB RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 4x500GB SSD Striped

Attachments

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 18:50
Blimey, turn my back for five minutes ...

I'll get busy checking out these models later on today, just got in from work so need to put the kettle on first.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
@ AmenMoses
Would love a dedicated video tutorial on how you achieve
these results. mabie 1 day you could think about it.
even at a basic level for users to understand the principles.
i know i would donate to such a project of learning tutorials .
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 22:57 Edited at: 14th Jun 2017 22:59
@GraPhix: So I had to tweak the models, simply changed the origin points and default rotation to make them simpler to deal with. My original scripts use two identical turret models, one for the left and one for the right, whereas you have a dual turret model. Although this makes the scripting simpler in some ways for some reason it means that there are points in the motion where it sort of flickers, don't know why that should be, I'm investigating further.

Here is the progress I've made so far, next step is to add some decals but to do that I'll have to work out exactly where the barrel ends are with regard to the model origin so it's out with my virtual tape measure.

PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 23:20
I really like Graphix's turret etc etc i just think the bunker needs to be bigger not the height but the length and breath if you get me looks a little bit too telephone box wider on all sides i think would make it more bunker ish, just my opinion m8 love it so far
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 23:32
@devlin: personally I dislike video tutorials, I've lost count of the number of Blender video tutorials I've tried to follow and I still can't fathom the darn thing. I try my best to make my scripts easy to follow, and they all work in similar ways (I tend to re-use a lot of code ) so once you understand how one works the rest should be easy to figure out.

The main thing you need to have to do this sort of thing is a really good understanding of how spatial relationships work inside the 3d engine 'world', angles in particular are a real pig to get the hang of and the human brain has evolved to only think in terms of angular relationship in one frame of reference, i.e. the one where your head is 'up' and feet are 'down', that's why pilots get paid so much, being able to think in real 3d is difficult.

Here is an experiment you can try, pick up an object, say a pen, and hold it in a specific orientation in font of you. Now describe that orientation using numbers, the most obvious being x,y,z coordinates from some 'origin' (maybe the tip of your nose for example) and 3 angles (again from some frame of reference, maybe the floor). That bit is easy, now do the same with another object in the other hand, give it a completely different orientation and describe it in numbers, use the same reference point and frame of reference if you like). Ok so finally describe the position of the first object with respect to the second one, i.e. the position and orientation of the second object becomes the reference point from which you specify the the first objects position.

The reason this is important is that from code you not only need to be able to absolutely specify an objects position in real time, you also need to be able to calculate the position of other objects in relation to that object, for example if you have a helicopter model and a missile model and you want them to move around as one unit (until such point that the missile is fired) then you need to do that math every frame. If you have 4 missiles then you have to do the math 4 times every frame, once for each model.

PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 23:39
@AmenMoses - that looks brilliant thank you for bringing them alive :0 they look menacing lol

@Honkeyboy - I can make the bunker a lot bigger and better textures that would be no problem at all, if Amenmoses says everything is ok and he chooses to use my turrets I will make damaged turrets and damaged bunkers

I think the dish is a lot better than the first one I did, I will work on the bunker textures to make it more in line with the turret

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 23:40
@Honkeyboy: The bunker is simply a static object, not part of the scripted gun, so you can mount the gun base anywhere, on any model you like. I like the simplicity of GraPhix design as it is just 3 simple parts to move around, in fact my original script is completely over the top for this so I'll make a simpler version specifically for it I think.

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2017 23:59
One limitation of all this is that the scripts will only work properly if the entities are at their original scale, i.e. if the user tried to scale up the tower or guns to make them bigger then the offsets would all be wrong. What would allow this sort of script to be way more useful is some Lua commands to get an entities dimensions in real time. That way the script could react to scaled up (or down) entities and adjust the offsets in real time to suit. (also in the editor I would like to see some way of specifying the scale using numbers, the sliders are pants! Maybe a scaling factor in % which the script could access at run time so a single script can deal with multiple entities at different scales, i.e. the scale factor of the base could tell the script to scale the other parts appropriately to match)
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 00:44
This is way too cute, needs some NERF ammo to go with it.

PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 10:25
Ahh of course you can size the bunker manually (bit of senior moment going on there) lol, i realized the top turret i made has the missile parts as a part of the model so will redo those today so they can move and going to have a bash at a multi turret vehicle to mount them on. "cute" lol yeah not my usual thing to use yellows and reds does brighten it up, will put together a mad looking missile to go with it later today
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 14:50
here is a metal version of the Bunker (more futuristic)
I have included both in this pack

Attachments

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 15:54
Cool work GraPhiX .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 16:05
Quote: "Cool work GraPhiX ."

Thanks Dave, just roughing up the dish and guns for damage, will post them soon
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 17:34
here is the updated turret pack with broken dish and broken guns I have merged them into one pack

Attachments

Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 18:34 Edited at: 15th Jun 2017 18:52
Liking these Graphix a nice combo of models, I kinda swayed off the general turret idea today to play around with the idea of a sci fi APC with a working turret it took all afternoon/early evening but ive cracked it finally it has 3 seperate gearboxes axles and a propshaft, cargo doors etc and of course a turret lol all files included in the zip just drop them into your entity bank now i just have to add Amen Moses's scripts to it and see what it looks like and maybe some different types of turrets.

@ Amen Moses ammo this any good?

8gb Ram 8gb Ram

Attachments

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 18:48 Edited at: 15th Jun 2017 20:40
Very cool thank you not sure why but my full post from my phone not showing

I have not tried to do vehicles yet but may try soon, trying to do doors atm lol
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 21:41
@GraPhix: I've attached the edited .x files (repositioned origin and rotated to 0) and an image of how they look in the engine. The reason for doing this is that it simplifies the positioning and rotation in the scripts.

I have the day off work tomorrow so I'm going to work on the scripts some more, what do you see these guns firing btw? Not many decals in the base GG set to choose from (basically 'green flare' is the only one suitable) but I have all the expansion packs so I could try out a few to see what works best if you like and we'll have to see if Lee can include it with the guns (will probably have the same issue with explosions and smoke effects).

@Honkeyboy: Love the NERF missiles, if I get a chance this weekend I'll add firing them to the scripts, maybe with a cartoonish sound effect. What would be cool would be to have them hit the player and just fall to the ground.

Attachments

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 22:43
Time for a video:

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 22:55

I like this one, this decal is already in the Sci-Fi pack.
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 23:11
Loving those m8 look really cool with Graphix's models, Im sure a while back i saw laser fire done can't remember who did it though might have been Tbone or MXS gonna have a looksee into those when i get 5 tomorrow i know i did change the fireball to mystical symbols so might be able to rustle something up.
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 23:26
Great work guys,you make a good team .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 15th Jun 2017 23:33
Hi Guys

if I am honest I did not think of projectiles I like both of them, thank you for the positioning, I will put them in my library and only use the ones you have edited for any texture changes etc. thank you for doing this it is so cool

Is there anything you can think of for me to improve or change? I will try and make some projectiles for them but not sure what
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2017 07:43
The good thing about using decals is that performance wise they are extremely cheap and they can be combined to make all sorts of effects (see my moonlander demo thingy or the helicopter one for examples). I'll put up a few more examples later, I have an idea for a more 'pulse cannon' look.

A few more variations on the damaged versions would be cool.

I've fixed the flicker btw, I forgot about the Euler angle gimbal lock problem, simply added a line to detect when the Y angle is exactly 90 or 270 degrees and add 0.001. (the math goes screwy at those points when combining rotations, google it if you want to know more but don't blame me if you end up with a headache)

PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 16th Jun 2017 10:20
@Amenmoses no problem I will do some more worn torn damage, wich way did you rotate the x file btw, I will make sure all my models are the right way from now on and of course 0 them. I assume zeroing them means putting the centre of the model an the center of the X,Y,Z ? or am I wrong
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2017 11:38 Edited at: 16th Jun 2017 14:17
The guns themselves should be centred on the axis they need to rotate about and be pointing in the +z direction. The other parts should be standing on the ground and centred on the rotation point, i.e. in the case of the scanner it will rotate about the base so that should be the centre point.

It only takes a few minutes for me to do this in fragmotion so don't worry about it too much.

The rule of thumb should be if it is static like a building or it needs to sit on top of something else, like the gen base part and scanner, then the origin should be in the centre of the base and 'front' should be straight up the map when it is dropped into the map, any other bits the origin should be in the centre of mass or centre of rotation whichever is more sensible and also pointing 'up' (or +z direction). For models which don't fit this rule it is possible to correct for this in the script but then that makes the script specific to that one object which is rather wasteful, what we really need is scripts that work with many models.

Also the base, gun and scanner should all be 'always active', 'physics off' and non-occluder or occludee, I think these can all be set in the FPE.

Pm'd some extra info and attached the fragmotion settings the x files were exported with.

Attachments

PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 16th Jun 2017 12:51
thank you think I understand now
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 16th Jun 2017 17:03 Edited at: 19th Jun 2017 17:59
Ok not sure if I have done these right here is an updated turret texture change and added more detail to the stand, I am working on more damaged ones and a Mech-Warrior to go with them

Attachments

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 16th Jun 2017 17:50
sorry I missed a model out of my pack

Attachments

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2017 18:37

So in the latest version we have:
1) Sound! Needs volume control adding though.
2) Better detection logic, guns will only fire if player is able to be hit.
3) Added a slight delay to the shots so a barrel will only fire every half a second (the code selects barrels at random)
4) Shot speed is slightly randomised.

Just starting in on the damage handling stuff.
PM
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2017 18:55
lol wicked
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 16th Jun 2017 19:03
Wow that's awesome Amenmoses your a clever chap
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2017 23:00 Edited at: 16th Jun 2017 23:05

Attachments

PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 16th Jun 2017 23:49
I think you have done a brilliant job thank you Amenmoses I am still working on damaged models, and may need your help with a walking turret (Mech-Warrior) can you PM me your email and I will send you the details, that is if you are interested of course I don't mean to presume :0

once again thank you for all your work on this its amazing
Blacknyt46
Years of Service
User Offline
You guy's Rock! Thank you!
Jim C
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2017 13:56
Progress on Honkeyboy's 'cute' turret.

Adding NERF rockets next.
PM
Lance
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2017 14:42
Wow

Spent the last 7 weeks in and out of the hospital (minor surgery) and finally getting back to real time and life to find this treasure trove of stuff .

Thanks to all for the great work .

Lance
Lance

Joined 22nd Jul 2003

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2017 18:11
Warning, this video not for children as it's really scary.

Sorry Honkeyboy, I couldn't resist.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2017 20:16 Edited at: 18th Jun 2017 20:17
Turf wars? Sorry I miss-heard.

PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 18th Jun 2017 20:37
Lol. Very good

Cheers.
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 18th Jun 2017 21:08
ha ha ha ha very good
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2017 21:53 Edited at: 18th Jun 2017 21:54
ROFL very cool is the radar not centered? would kinda work well in a cartoony project
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2017 23:23
The non-centred radar thingy is on purpose as the 'eyes' need to be in front of it and that was the easiest way to do it. I think it looks more 'alien' not being centred anyhow.

I hope everyone is coming to realise that it really doesn't matter much how complex the models are when you can combine them with scripts. As soon as you add movement and subtle decal/particle effects they instantly look more complex and more .. well .. non GG if you know what I mean.

Just wait and see what I do with your scifi vehicle once I've got the alterations and the separated wheels!

A while ago the thing that was all the rage was those 'protect the tower' style games, this type of modelling and scripting could make a really cool one of those.

Now if Lee could give us proper Lua control of the physics as well ....
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 19th Jun 2017 17:55
Hi Guys,
sorry if you are getting fed up with me but I have added more damaged items to the pack, I will stop now and continue work on the Mech Warrior

Attachments

Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2017 18:48 Edited at: 19th Jun 2017 18:53
Yeah the physics is a bind atm i made shed loads of sci fi bikes and speeders smallg did a script to ride them but with the physics on the jumped about all over the place now they jump about all over the place with it off lol. Would have been really nice to have that working properly, we could do some nice racing games in no time at all
@ Graphix no one is getting fed up of you dude your giving people some really nice models, i for one think that's very generous

P.s AM wheels and chassis on my post m8 done 2 types of each let me know if they are good or bad and what i need to change if needed
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 28th Jun 2017 17:02
Here's the Gun Turrets ready to go with updated FPE's and Amenmoses fantastic scripts just copy the scripts to your scriptbank folder I don't have a decal for the gun fire I'm sorry about that

Attachments

PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 20th Jul 2017 22:20
ok. lets put some life back in to this thread again.

Amenmoses, is it possible to use GraPhiX Gun turrets as a defense system to defend a base from lets say some nasty alien flying space ships. To shoot them down before they shoot the turrets.?

If it is possible would you be so kind and show us, how to do this.

Thanks Again, AmenMoses and GraPhiX.

Pcs.Killer
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2017 23:29
Find the part of the code that targets the player and change it to target whatever you want it to.

The helicopter script has code to target enemy soldiers so that should be a good guide.

PM
Flatlander
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2017 05:46 Edited at: 21st Jul 2017 05:47
I am usually able to navigate scripts to figure out where things are. But for the life of me, I cannot see where or how the decal for the gun are used and/or placed. Right now, I'm not getting any joy when the guns fire and there is no indication that they are actually firing, except for the sound. I have plenty of decals available so that's no problem. Any help with this?
When in doubt -- C4 :heh, heh, heh:

-Jamie Hyneman

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 18:12:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 18:12:38