Product Chat / floating platform

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,

In the LOG of the latest version of GG there is something about "Floating Platform" :

Added new 'floating_platform.lua' to show off how to associate player with moving entity

Is it a system like "Super Mario" game where Mario can jump on floating or moving platforms? If so, how it works ?

Does it works with the character seen in the 3rd person ?
Does someone can realize an example script or a test level ?

THANKS !

PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2016 17:59
Hi Mariokiki,

video:

Harry
Harry
When nothing goes right, go left
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Harry !

I have to test it right now !

PM
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2016 23:54
nice, now we can make classic "railshooters"
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
@Harry,

I tested like you shown in the video, and it works fine...
but I would like the platform moves up and down and using the waypoint system it's not possible.

I took a look in the .lua file and I understood the system roughly (not completly !).
So; if I associate the "platform object" to the "floating_platform.lua", may I use another script (.lua file) in order to move the "platform object" using another way than the waypoints...

for example, I use an active object "barrel" with which I control the movements of the "platform object".
and the "platform object" is associated with "floating_platform.lua" in order to control the player deplacements when he's on it...

with this method, I need one object "barrel" for each "platform object", according to the desired movement type (speed, amplitude and direction...)

Sorry, I'm not sure to be clear... I'm French and I use Google Translator !

Thanks !
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 01:10
See if you can grab something from this script to get you in the right direction.

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/207801?page=6#msg2506907

This is smallg's Lift Script.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Making the platform Isimmobile = yes seems backward but if I don't do it I somehow fall into the ground and drown. When I do set it up as Harry did it does work but is incredibly slow and I can't seem to jump off the platform.
Julian
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "but I would like the platform moves up and down and using the waypoint system it's not possible.
"

If you turn physics off and Isimmobile to 'No' the platform does move up and down in response to undulating terrain but it still cuts into the terrain; it doesn't rotate and slide over it. I now understand you have to wait until the platform reaches the end of its waypoint to get off. But on my system it is still very slow and jerky. Is this normal?
Julian
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2016 17:53 Edited at: 17th Apr 2016 22:25
Hi,

The first time I tried the platform with Harry settings, it worked.

but now I can't stand on the platform, even at 1st or 3rd person view...

worst using the 3rd person character. my feet are stuck in the platform and I can't move on it, I'm stuck in the middle of it !

Edit : Last try tonight...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rceHVZWgxaU
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2016 23:22 Edited at: 17th Apr 2016 23:29
Ok I don't know if this is the problem but it looks like it ...
It seems to be directional and works off the very first waypoint marker ...... In other words for example ...
If you place the first waypoint marker at the top of the screen and drag the second to the bottom ...
putting the crate on bottom one wont let you stand on it but it will move ..... you can only stand on it on the return journey
I hope that makes sense ...

Place the "first" waypoint marker at the bottom of the screen .... Drag the second to the top..... Place the crate on the bottom and then you get the ride to the end of the waypoint only ....and no you cannot walk on or off once your on it nor return..

Not sure if its a bug or the way its supposed to work

you can move in any direction but Just make sure your platform is on the very first waypoint marker you place and see what happens
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I found a way to make it work both ways ...

I modified something in the script (.lua file)
I removed the following command "ai_path_point_direction[e]" ...with the value of 1, should be 0, 1 or -1 ?

The original line : if ai_path_point_direction[e] == 1 and PlayerDist < 80 and g_PlayerHealth > 0 then
The modified line : if PlayerDist < 80 and g_PlayerHealth > 0 then

But the player still can't move freely on the surface of the platform ... because the following command freezes the player at the center of the platform :

SetFreezePosition ( tNewX, tNewY+40, tNewZ ) => please note position Y +40 because 3rd person character is 80 of height...
TransportToFreezePositionOnly() => TransportToFreezePosition() for fixe camera when player is on the platform...

Take a look at the platform system I would like (with the player can move freely on the platform) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRkxopU0fUo

Thanks !

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2016 00:44 Edited at: 18th Apr 2016 01:13
Nice ....Thanks for the info Mariokiki
Perhaps you could attach your modified script here ..
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
I can do it... but I discovered another problem once the lua file is modified.
When I use a 3rd person character, once he's on the platform, he can't get off (He sticks to the platform!)

Have to replace the line "if ai_path_point_direction[e] == 1 and PlayerDist < 80 and g_PlayerHealth > 0 then" by "ai_path_point_direction[e]" < > 0 but this syntax doesn't works in LUA command... If someone else know how to do that ?

About the second platform system from my latest video, it was created by SmallG. I just modified it a little bit for my test level...

See the link given by Pirate Myke : https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/207801?page=6#msg2506907

Thanks !
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2016 11:13
The LUA syntax for not equal is ""ai_path_point_direction[e] ~= 0" Glad everyone is having fun and challenges with the script, if you make your waypoint have a few nodes, you should be able to get off at the other end when it reverses its direction.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahh thanks Lee .... So that is the intention then .... A one way trip
I wasn't sure
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Lee for your reply !

Please, can you add to this script, the possibility of walking (move freely) on the platform for 3rd view's character ?
Also, the possibility to jump from the platform at any time ?

Please take a look at my video for an exemple : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRkxopU0fUo

If you can add this functionality, you'll be MY BEST FRIEND !
...and it would allow me to continue to make the game of my dreams !

THANKS !
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 18th Apr 2016 14:38
Quote: "Please, can you add to this script, the possibility of walking (move freely) on the platform for 3rd view's character ?"

I'm not sure that's entirely possible by just changing/adding to this script, it would probably be a very different script.

The way this script works is by continuously transporting the player to the object as it moves over and over again, which is why you can't move while on it.

i7, NV960 4GB, 16GB memory, 2x 4TB Hybrid, Win10.
i5 , AMD 6770 1GB, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII + 2TB Seagate Baracuda SATAIII, Win7.
i3, Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 512gB Generic SATAII, Win8.1.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB memory, 180GB Generic SATAII, WinXP.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2016 16:58
I dare say you could detect the space bar (jump) and then disassociate with the platform, but the best solution of course is when the player control system has been externalized into LUA script at which time you will have pretty much absolute control of the entire mechanic. Adding little hooks here and there would only overcomplicate the system by the time we externalize it. I am pretty sure a script solution exists, and am curious to see which of our fine scripters publishes the solution first
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
@Belidos,

I saw the following lines in the script :

-- Associate Player with this moving entity platform
ResetPosition ( e, tNewX, tNewY, tNewZ )
if g_floating_platform_associateplayer == 1 then
SetFreezePosition ( tNewX, tNewY+40, tNewZ )
TransportToFreezePositionOnly()
end

If it was possible to indicate the position X, Y, Z from the player (like g_PlayerPosX,Y and Z), not absolute coordinates, but relative coordinates from the platform.

Something like : Set_Player_Position(x,y,z) => Set_Player_Position( (tNewX + g_PlayerPosX), (tNewY + g_PlayerPosY), (tNewZ + g_PlayerPosZ ) )

We could place the player where we want with absolute coordinates or combined with the platform coordinates...

@Lee,

If you can create a command like this, it should be good !

THANKS !
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2016 10:09
Quote: "Also, the possibility to jump from the platform at any time ?"

Now you can jump/disassociate player when you want, just press "space bar" .

3com

Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2016 13:58
Thank you 3com
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Big progress !
Thanks 3COM !!!

PS :: What is this command you added also ? "ModulateSpeed(e,500)"
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2016 19:27
Quote: "PS :: What is this command you added also ? "ModulateSpeed(e,500)""

Tha't was a test I made, and forget to remove the line, anyway does nothing; I'm looking for increase speed when using waypoints.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
@3Com,

I noticed "tIncX" and "tIncZ" variables are for the platfom movement.

Test changing the value "tIncX" and "tIncZ" is multiplied by (below it's 0.25 => test with another value to change the platform speed...)

tIncX = tDistX / DistFromPath
tIncZ = tDistZ / DistFromPath
tNewX = g_Entity[e]['x'] - (tIncX*0.25)
tNewY = g_Entity[e]['y']
tNewZ = g_Entity[e]['z'] - (tIncZ*0.25)

Enjoy !
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 11:47
Quote: "I am pretty sure a script solution exists"

Challenge accepted
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
@cybernescence,

Please, if you found a solution for my requests, test it using 3rd person character view !

Requests :
The possibility of walking (move freely) on the platform for 3rd person character => like every SuperMario 3D games...
The possibility to jump from the platform at any time => first solution by 3Com works fine with 1st person view, not for 3rd person character...
Horizontal and vertical movements for the platforms...

I already made a simple script working fine for platforms with vertical movements. Original script from SmallG.
Video link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRkxopU0fUo

Really THANKS if someone can do that !
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline

just for information...
I continue to seek a solution on my side, but I'm not good LUA coder...

I can't help much on this issue, but if someone need help for modeling object, don't hesitate to ask me !
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
moving platform with the ability to move around (but get reset if you reach the edge) and jump off any when plus an extra delay in movement at the ends of the waypoints so you can walk off. *set the HP/strength of the entity to the rough size of the entity (must be square/circular in shape)*
tested and working with multiple platforms and 3rd person. i will likely add some more arrays for speed and wait times but for now it's working and i figured you might want it now rather than later as i may forget

up and down would require a different script as waypoints can only be set at terrain height.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11

Attachments

Login to view attachments
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I just knew it wouldn't be long before you had a play with it !!
Fantastic thanks Smallg
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 20th Apr 2016 23:31
Nice one smallg. Mine's still a work in progress as I've got distracted and will be for a while now by the fact my VPS provider has just wiped my entire platform 'by accident' and can't recover it ... aarggh!

Anyway, did make some progress on this, so a vid:

Cheers.
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks SmallG ! Amazing script !

I can cheat with the shape of the platform so that the player is transported as in a nacelle or a trolley !

Take a look : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db9GhPmy0Nc

Note: currently experimental trolley !

Many Thanks !
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Love the female character you have there, the movement of the dress with the legs is awesome too
lua guide for GG
windows 10
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Mariokiki .... Very Clever
@cybernescence ...... how do you manage to stand still and move when you want ?
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
@synchromesh,
Thanks, but it's not exactly what I want as final result... but rather the method of cybernescence !

Hope he can recover his script someday...
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2016 12:24 Edited at: 21st Apr 2016 12:26
edited my script to move the player more smoothly (like cybernescence's video) but still only really works with platforms that move slower than the player's movement speed as you can't dynamically adjust the player's core movement speed to compensate for the speed of the platform (i dont see how i can fix that without some engine update).
- i.e. the player still moves as if on stationary ground but in real life you would move with both your own acceleration and also the speed of the moving platform.

now you set the speed of the platforms via the 'name' of the entity (a low value like 0.5 is a good place to start) and again the range is set via the 'strength'

oh and you can now walk or jump off at any time (but if you stop moving you will stay on the platform of course)
lua guide for GG
windows 10

Attachments

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2016 14:29 Edited at: 21st Apr 2016 14:36
I've had a look at the floating platform and while it's okay in it's way, is really not very good for actual platforms. It is more suited to on rails shooting section really. In fact it is ideal for that.

It's nice to see people trying to improve it, but from what I can see it is very limited. There's nearly always a workaround, but for this we really need the physics engine to work for us. We shouldn't need to have to reposition the player in line with the platform, it should move the player automatically. We have a physics engine, the player should have physics enabled as standard and be controlled by the physics engine. Why is it that the player slides as if he has no friction whatsoever on the surface?

I've not seen a physics engine that can't do this and I can't see it being an issue with Bullet Physics either. I mean, I can code a platform to move and have collision on the y axis, but it then slides like I'm floating just above the surface on really effective, but weak rocket shoes. In comparison, doing the same in DB's PhysX engine would be no problem. I haven't used AGK in awhile, but I imagine it will also work in the same way. Perhaps we need some physics commands to move the platform? As far as I see it, that's the main issue. Whatever we do, when we move the platform, the physics has to be disabled. So although we get collision due to gravity, we don't get the friction and movement factor. If we could directly move the player (not transport to a location) we could work around this a lot better. Still, actual physics commands would be far more useful for this, although I still think player and camera controls should be improved.

You know me, I'm always looking to do things that show GG can do more than it appears, but I really don't see why we should be happy with this state of affairs. I consider this sort of thing to be part of the engine, something we should not even have to worry about. When I purchased GG it was so this sort of thing could be avoided and I could concentrate on making games. I'm a big advocate for scripting being important, far more so than several features ahead of it, but this sort of thing should be automatic. We should have some way of moving objects using physics forces.

I'm sure given time, myself or another GG scripter out there could come up with a decent workaround, but in this case we really shouldn't have to. As a problem to be solved, it could be regarded as a challenge. Always fun (well sometimes, lol) but really, having proper physics control over objects would be far, far more satisfactory, long term.

Saying that, I'm so unhappy with the default script I may just have a look anyway I'm not sure if any of the above examples have improved on this, but by default it seems to be a one way trip. You can only get on at the beginning of the way-point marker and the platform only starts to move when you stand on it. Also, if you try to jump on it in motion, you fall straight through. Not ideal or even worthy of the title platform. I certainly wouldn't even consider it for a platform game. It should be called on_rails_movement.lua.

Edit - Lol, watched cybernescence's vid and that's more like I was thinking of doing. Still, that transport command still looks a little ropey, but probably as good as it gets.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
@DVader,

you are right !

I also think that everything about 3rd person is not yet been finalized.

This engine is derived solely from FPS Creator, and the first items added for 3rd person view are very recent...

It's true that slightly annoying for someone who wants to make a platform game (a Mario-like game), but most users of GameGuru want to make shooting games !

I like GameGuru as it is, and I hope for the future it will be possible to realize more things...

I wish to thank all of you for your scripts and your efforts to find a solution ! That is the community !
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
@SmallG,

In your script (the last one) is it possible to replace the directions keys (W,S,A,D) by the cursors keys (arrow keys of the keyboard) ?

I didn't found the value of their, even using "Prompt(GetInKey())"... I just have the ASCII values (Up=200, Down=208, Left=203, Right=205)

Thanks !

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "In your script (the last one) is it possible to replace the directions keys (W,S,A,D) by the cursors keys (arrow keys of the keyboard) ?"

ok, i have now allowed either, if you want to remove the w,a,s,d you can modify line 107
lua guide for GG
windows 10

Attachments

Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2016 18:51 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2016 20:11
Thanks Smallg !

Take a look at the final test using your script ! Amazing !

link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJHd1rNdByQ

PS : forget the sound in the video... it was not planned !
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks a lot better than the default. Much more what I was thinking nice work!

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
@Smallg,

I think you can move your final script in the "Script TAB" at the thread : "some example scripts for ideas"

One more in your collection !

Thanks again !

PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
sure, glad to help
curious to see how cybernescence coded his and if it would work better with faster platforms or if it ended up being the same approach (the later is most likely given the limited commands and the subtle shaking when standing still is very similar to what i was seeing with mine.)
lua guide for GG
windows 10
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Take a look at the final test using your script ! Amazing !"

@Mariokiki
Hmm what am I missing ....I keep sliding off when I walk ....not like your video ?
PM
PartTimeCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@DVader,

you are right !"

Yea that's a very valid point one I'm hoping gets addressed soon, hopefully the rewrite of the AI engine to support stairs/height after the building creator will force Lee to expose some core physics commands, I know these things will be exposed as and when certain areas of code are being worked on and yes sure that makes perfect scene, there are a few items on the list that could prompt it but way down low, personally speaking I'm holding out for Third Person Mode for any character, looking over the shoulder of a guy staring down the barrel of an AK47 has always been my favorite in game view! lol, anyone remember Freedom Fighters, I'll be happy when GG can do that!
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
@synchromesh,

You took the latest script posted by Smallg, of course ?

Be careful at your platform size and name. Smallg add these lines for the speed and the collision detection compared with the platform size :

--set the speed of the platforms via their 'name' and their "size" by their 'strength'

for the speed of the platform :
function floating_platform2_init_name(e,name)
move_speed[e] = tonumber(name)
if move_speed[e] == nil then
move_speed[e] = 1
end

for the size of the platform :
if on_plat_range[e] == nil then
if g_Entity[e]['health'] > 59 then
on_plat_range[e] = g_Entity[e]['health']
else
on_plat_range[e] = 80
end
end

But you can modify it if you want platform bigger than 80 for the collision detection with the character...

Hope is something like this you forgot...
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Been seeing some videos of pilotable vehicles. Could this have been done by adapting the floating platform script?
Julian
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 12:40:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 12:40:03