Work In Progress / Legend of Gadfried downloadable Demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2023 17:45 Edited at: 22nd May 2023 17:52
[href]null[/href]Legend of Gadfried - The 8 Rafael Medals
You take on the role of Palvin, a grown-up foundling who finally wants to know his true origins. The fisherman Asmund found him as a small wrapped up child by the wayside and often asked himself the same question. He wants to support Palvin in the search. The old herbalist from the village knew a magician from Falbun, a larger trading town inland, who probably had the answers to the questions. But he didn't want to do it for nothing. For a long time, the magician tried in vain to find a series of medals that can be assigned to the former ruler Rafael. 8 medals, the magician wants to get them, then he wants to help. The herbalist knows about the medals, but only vaguely that they were once hidden by pirates for fear of the ruler's henchmen. They are said to have magic, but no one knows for sure. The magician wants to find out. Now the search for the 8 medals is not so easy because nobody really knows their secret and they could be anywhere. Well then, you have now made it your mission to find these things and travel to Falbun to see the magician.
This demo was supposed to be the start of the story. But it's a huge challenge for me. Many small things have to be considered to get the result the way I want it to be. From optimization to scripting, it is very time consuming. I have a lot of ideas, but I'm hesitant to put them into practice. And then the big question is who cares about games like this. Is it all worth it? A plus for bypassing the not really intelligent AI. There should also be fights, but not to the extent of a shooter. We're already at the limit of GG. RPG and adventure are unloved stepchildren of the engine. Now if I could at least still script it would be an advantage...I could bend some things in my desired direction to make the game more attractive. This shows me again that a small team could achieve so much more, even with ggc. Incidentally, there are still old engines that have not been updated in line with the times, but still arouse interest. Also, I'm back to the point that a game is only as good as its story. It doesn't matter what it was made with. With this in mind, I wish everyone who wants to try it out have fun searching for the 8 medals.

Legend_of_Gadfried_part1

Legend_of_Gadfried_part2
PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Lafette,
Thank you very much for sharing this demo of your beautiful game 'The eight Rafael Medals'.
Great work with the design of that medieval village.
I could find two of those medals.

It gave me the opportunity to have a look once again on some of your creations in the Game Creator Store.
You are definitely a great artist. Congratulations.

PM
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the nice comment. Yes, I've always enjoyed (well, mostly anyway) making models. There are people who like to play, there are people who like to code, and then there are people who like to model. This mix is what makes the computer gaming scene, and we're a part of it.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2023 11:13
Insanely well made. Played it and loved every second of it.
Hoping for a part 2
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi...

I've found that some people are put off by the split download, so here's the repackaged demo if you like...

DOWNLOAD

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2023 15:28
[video]ek6EzEEyQOA[/video]

I made a small video too as you already know. Too bad that there are very few non-fps games like this being made in the engine, the last one I can recall was this. And wow, that was 8 years ago. (no longer available, unfortunately.

A super small crit I'd have is, if this should be a longer story, I'd replace the medals with something like magical plants or mushrooms, because the town folk would have found the pirate treasure years ago. I mean, if I was living in a small fishing village and there were rumors of hidden coins, I'd go look for them too. I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't overthink it though.

Also I grabbed your medieval house pack on the store. Its pretty good!

-Wolf
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks again for the comment. So there is still a bit of life in this forum.
The point of criticism was justified from the start, which I have to attribute to myself. With the dwindling interest, I felt compelled to take countermeasures. Surely that was a bit hasty...flashlight and a few smaller things prove that. That with the coins wasn't planned either. Actually, they should have a bigger one...but I certainly don't want to reveal that. Basically, my main concern was to find out whether such games are played at all. And to what extent these can be created with ggc without getting by with a gigantic set of lua scripts. Well, one thing is for sure, without scripts it doesn't work. Now it's also the case that I can't script at all. As long as these are kept simple, I can still understand them and thus apply them to different objects or situations with small changes. There are also various tricks and cheats to add chaos to the story line, making it appear more varied or random. What I'm missing a bit is the sense of game-related optics. That's because I'm actually not a gamer. Games are like a yardstick for me. And sometimes also a grieving event. When you see the beautiful models that are used in many other engines, it's a shame. I don't think I can model highpoly at all anymore, so I've gotten used to the thriftiness. On the other hand, it's also a challenge how far you can push it. Anyway, I've decided to keep working on this project. With this in mind....have a good and successful time cheers everyone
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2023 12:27
look forward to playing this, as always you impress
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
@science boy Thanks very much. However, I have re-released the first level. That's how it should be as an introduction. It has an error that I have yet to fix. You always have to talk to the fisherman before you go to the Krautmuhme. Then it works better...

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zu51fst2549ss54/LoG_the_8_Rafael-medals.rar/file
PM
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
Legend of Gadfried
In the land of the orcs
First impressions from the 2nd level

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2023 14:56
Interesting conversation system. I like that you animated them too, instead of just having them stare at you.
You also made those tents, right?
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much..
Well, I still have to work on the conversation system. But the basic function is there.
And yes, I have modeled the tents. But they could use a more appealing texture.
PM
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
So, since I don't know what's next for me, I've unceremoniously stopped all work on LoG. I have the 2.Level still hastily halfway finished, so that it does not rot on the plate pointlessly. Unfortunately I have to cope with a massive deterioration. Due to the increased intake of cortisone, my vision has reduced to 20% left and 40% right in a short time. My eyes are constantly watering, I have to stop all work after about 15 minutes, and take a break for one to two hours. I trust the preliminary statement that it is cataract. That would be positive since it can be easily repaired. If it is not, I do not have a plan B yet how to proceed. Therefore this upload. The level should actually record more, but I can not. Then I had to replace my orks with the old ones from the fantasy pack, because the x-importer scripts didn't work on the high distances in standalone (I tried everything possible). Also, everything is a bit more bare in the final area now. I hope you don't hold this against me. I didn't get around to optimizing either. Well, if everything goes well (hopefully), I might continue with it, although it might become uninteresting then, because it's already known. But what should I do now in this situation? A few comments would make me happy. So, if someone is interested....

DOWNLOAD LoG In the Land of the Orcs
PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2023 11:21 Edited at: 24th Aug 2023 11:23
Hello Lafette II,

So many people around the world are 'anonymously' and virtually meeting other ones in a multitude of forums on the web, but behind their nicknames we sometimes forget that there are human beings having a daily life with their pleasures and sufferings.
Suffering from an eyes illness is a severe punishment for an artist creating visual artworks. And yours are particularly beautiful.
Furthermore you have a skill to create pleasant video games.
I wish you to find the good doctors and medicine to help you improving and recovering a better eye vision.

Thank you for graciously sharing again this new game. I played two hours to find the white stone that wat automatically placed on the pedestal of the stone statue. At the opposite side I found an opening where I would have found something (a key as mentioned by a fast disappearing message) but it was empty. Therefore nothing new happened in that level.
My weapons destroyed every possible enemies (those terrible snakes nicely animated). I fought like a fencer to stay alive during some difficult fighting.
Very nice animations of the vegetation (grass and trees) and beautiful textures of the landscape elements. Clever design of the places where there are something or someone to discover (a good example : that hidden place where the enemies orcs are hidden).
The noise indicating the presence of a snake is quite good.
All those games elements are convincing me that GameGuru Classic has nothing to envy to GG Max because it has enough features available for the skilled game creator to publish good video games like yours.
Congratulations Lafette II and may the Force be with you because this forum will always enjoy the presence of great artists like you.

PM
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
First of all, thank you for your heartfelt sympathy. I went to the ophthalmologist today, he gave me a positive diagnosis. If all goes well, I will get my original vision restored. That makes me happy, because, as it is now, it is unbearable for me not to see properly anymore. But now to the game. In total, 4 stones have to be found to finish the game. To do this, you must first talk to the two dying orcs in the tents. They also give subtle hints on where to find the stones. At one dead orc you find a kind of key to open the big statue. There in the compartment is one of the stones. When all the stones are found, you have to go to the orc village and give the stones to the orc mage. Then you can leave the area at the open gate. Please do not kill the mage, otherwise nothing will work. I did set a weapon free zone, but it doesn't seem to work, for whatever reason.
PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Lafette II, thank you for your reply.
I am glad about that positive diagnosis given by your ophthalmologist and I sincerely hope that you'll recover a very good vision after your treatment.

After having read your tips relative to your video game, I reopened a saved file done before I entered the hidden place where I faced those enemies orcs. And this time I was able to find two precious stones. I wasn't able to find the two remaining ones and it makes me think that the available area of the terrain in GameGuru Classic/MAX is already large enough to make the search of hidden items rather difficult.

Anyway I spent pleasant moments in your game nicely designed with an interesting scenario.

PM
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
@mikeven
It's easy to find them. Ok, One in the big statue, one between the legs of the lion statue, and then notice the columns of smoke from the fire bowls "where the conflagration once blazed, the stones are now hidden" said one of the dying orcs....
PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2023 19:29 Edited at: 31st Aug 2023 19:31
@lafette II, thanks again for that new tip. I indeed suspected that the two remaining magic stones were in that hidden place, but I didn't try to make some acrobatics to find them.

After having collected the two remaining magic stones then I left that place and I saw that there were no guards anymore in front of the entrances. I tried the (e) and the (q) keys but no message appeared.

This is a screen capture showing the entrance after I found the four magic stones :

I travelled again and again everywhere in the land, but there was no sign of life.
I noticed that each time I approached one of the entrances then my weapons were deactivated and the 'heart' icon (1 remaining life) disappeared.
PM
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh...This is an error that I am not aware of. Normally the village is now walkable. Now there is probably a memory problem. If you saved the game, it is possible that not everything is restored correctly. I don't know how to fix this now either. Anyway, this doesn't happen when the level is played through. I have tested this many times. If someone has a solution for such problems, I'm always open to it....
PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2023 09:37 Edited at: 1st Sep 2023 09:38
Hello Lafette II, I may guess your frustration about that problem and to say the truth I noticed the occurrence of some other errors in the continuity of the game after having opened a saved game in progress. It was also the case in your short demo 'the eight rafael medals' where many 3D sounds were mixed in a cacophony near the player after having reloaded a saved game.

We may suppose that a few variables aren't correctly stored in the files relative to the saved games in progress.

Just for the fun I found this comment in an announcement relative to GG MAX on Steam :

Anyway as I already said it you created a nice game with an interesting scenario and with a lot of care in the details.

Here is a resized copy of a photograph that I took near Dinant (BE) in front of the river 'Meuse'. I show it because you designed beautiful rocks (low poly meshes) for your games.

Have a nice day.

PM
Lafette II
Years of Service
User Offline
The save game mode is terrible. I have tested it now. It completely disfigures the game and would rightfully fail miserably on a major release. Enemies move backwards - several different sounds run together - destroyed things reappear...oh, I'll stop now. But everything takes place sporadically, so not all the time. What is it? I don't know how to prevent it, so I have to do without a save option to keep the error rate in check. All these are the things that make you not want to try anything with this engine.
By the way, a beautiful rock complex there...
PM
mikeven
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Lafette II.

Your comment confirms exactly what I thought about the 'Game Save' process.

And as reported by Necrym59 (whose reputation as a great 'scripter' of GG community is indisputable) on GameGuruRepo on GitHub :
https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues/4888 , similar problems occur with the latest version of GameGuru MAX (Steam Version).

(thank you for your appreciation about that picture posted in my previous comment. The Meuse Valley is one of the most beautiful place in Belgium.)

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 02:40:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 02:40:40