Product Chat (Early Access) / Possibility to create proper standalone RPG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello!
I've just recently discovered the GG MAX getting release, and immediately loved it and pre-purchased!

Anyway, I'm looking for a tool to create games by team of 2-3 people where we can code quite well, not really afraid to do coding only without the use of the GUI tool, but we lack 3D modelling skills, so GG MAX initially seemed really great for us!
Since we are hobbyists, Unity or Unreal is simply too complex for our use-case.

What I wanted to ask is, what all in-game elements can be handled via Lua code?
As I mentioned, we are not afraid to create complex systems in code, but does GG MAX even allow to do so?
Our view is that the more we can control the characters, objects etc ourselves in the game via code the better (when needed of course).
I know GG MAX has "just now" reached Early Access, and that's fine - we are looking for a bit long term, "starting" in 6-18 months let's say as we have another project going on right now, so I suspect more feature will be available then as well.

Thanks for anyone more knowledgeable than me sharing some capabilities of MAX.
PM
UNIRD12B
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2022 16:00
Go to the scripts folder in GGM and
open up the GLOBAL.LUA
with notepad or a similar program
and you will see all the available commands for LUA.

UNIRD12B
Let\'s actually make something happen with this one !
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2022 19:55
@ Donach
GGMax initially started as shooter game style, although, RPG and puzzle will come the next.
And yes, you can do a lot of work with the meshes via LUA, you even have a visual LUA system, that allows you to create meshes behavior on the fly, in test mode.
When in test mode press the tab key to get into it, I really have not to play with it yet, due I prefer my notepad++ (old school)
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Donach
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your answers.

For a comparison, I'm not sure how you're familiar with WC3 and its editing posibilities. Anyway, the way WC3 works is "great", the editor can create all the terrain + objects needed, the rest can be done in code (that's what we do). We basically omit as much native functionality as possible, as it was too limited for our usage, so if some similar customization is possible in GG MAX, I'm gonna be happy
PM
Harkin Hails M.
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: With Rocks. Ooga Booga.
Posted: 27th Mar 2022 12:54
Quote: "Anyway, the way WC3 works is "great", the editor can create all the terrain + objects needed, the rest can be done in code (that's what we do)."

Not just JASS code.

When I was making mods, we were using "conditional" visual programming for everything, from Bnet MP mods to SP campaigns. Something like that for GG Max would be pretty damn useful.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 09:04:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 09:04:15