Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So, messing around with importing models and have had some pretty good results with a floor panel I made. I decided to do some more experiments. I figured a spinning crystal would be a cool eye candy if i could make it work. So i quickly modeled a crystal and slapped solid base color and a stone normal map on it for testing purposes AND......it doesnt quite look right.

I tried messing with the settings. adding some surface maps, etc. EVERYTHING i could think of, but still didnt look right. Then i realized what it's missing...REFRACTION! So, I know that the wicked engine supports refrection, HECK, Max supports it, I mean, the water refracts right? So, i have these questions:

Is there a way to add Refraction to our object materials?

Is there a way to change the shader that our objects use, like in the .fpe file in classic?

Is there a way to write our own shaders for MAX?

Is there a node based shader editor that can produce shaders that are compatible with MAX?

I found ShaderEd and the SpearNode Add-on, but i know little about shaders so i have no idea whether it can produce compatible shaders or not.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2022 12:03 Edited at: 14th Feb 2022 12:07
I have had no trouble with transparency. You need to make the alpha less transparent in your art package export dds as a dxt5 and then it should be good for messing about with.
Unless its a new bug in the update inonly had 20 minutes on the new build amd about 40 on the previous its very minimum time i get on pc at present but work and life and other tasks like gym and healthy choices have played to my limited creativity off late.
However once i have my job and everything in a more stable way i intend to unleash hell on my modelling programs and having a grasp of max a bit more I am starting to slowly feel its way. Models and importing have been my main activity tbh. Minor dabbling on ai and occasionally i do a map. But if im honest i aint really up for maps just yet as it sometimes alters or messes up or even some iffy fps in certain areas not sure if it was physics or too many trees in proximity to one another. Anyway had a little play yesterday and trees looking more promising the under water plants a bit iffy at present but im sure its early days with that too.
I reckon gtx970 is the minimum spec. I have 2 and about to attempt sli configuration if possible

But really I want 3060 but refuse to give 200 to 250 pounds profit through greed

Totally went off topic there.

Yeah as i say change the alpha settings in your art pack i use paint. Net. A good little program. Make sure you set it to dxt5 as this allows the alpha in the texture i would set the alpha to about 60 percent then work in 10 either way for transparency then when in max you can use transparency to activate the. Mess with the rest.
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
Toxicclowd
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry science boy, I think there was a misunderstanding, I'm not having any trouble with transparency that's working fine, what I want is for the background to be distorted when looking through the crystal.
These examples are similar to the effect I'm looking to achieve.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2022 16:49
ah i see, ok no idea will probably need a shader applied
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 15:00:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 15:00:13