Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2022 12:50
Okay, I'm having a crack at importing a building into GGM.
But I have noticed that under the materials tab it has Albedo, Normal, Surface and Emissive.

Now, Next to them is a question mark to click on for a description. But for a total new comer, the description
might as well be in alien. And even though it might sound silly to those of you that are well versed in this sort of thing, for some of us
it can be a bit mind boggling.

So , How about along with the description, that you also add a small thumbnail of what that type of file
actually looks like so we don't have to go back and forth between GGM & Google?

Just a thought, but it might help us newbies to model importing just a little bit.

Processor i9-9900k CPU@ 3.60GHZ
Ram 32GB
Windows 10 64bit
GeForce RTX 2060
PM
UltraVox
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2022 14:20
Yes, clearer explanations would be appreciated.

Regarding import and issues with white textures : This issue is fixed and will be in Friday's update (today).
For the rest, it still lacks some very important options for import textures.
But this has already been suggested on Github : https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues/1932

Regards,
UltraVox
3D Test Computer (for Max) :
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 4460 - CPU 3.20 GHz (4 cores)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB)
16 GB Ram - SSD Hard Drive - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2022 03:33 Edited at: 7th Feb 2022 04:07
@Rector
Quote: ".... the materials tab it has Albedo, Normal, Surface and Emissive."

Quote: "So , How about along with the description, that you also add a small thumbnail of what that type of file
actually looks like so we don't have to go back and forth between GGM & Google?"

I imagine that this will all be added to the Online Users Manual eventually..

But for now here be a basic explanation for you:

Here be a model:

And these are the textures it uses:

The Albedo and the Normal map:

Albedo defines the color of the model - no detail other than color of the bits that make up the model
Normal defines dents and bumps - this allows fake detail while reducing the number of tri's that make up the geometry of the model

Surface maps are a packed texture (RGB Channels) that combines three maps that are used by the engine to give the model more detail

This be very basic info regarding the purpose of the three textures in the Surface map
R - Ambient Occlusion - defines ambient lighting on the model - darker crevices for example
G - Roughness - defines detail like scratches and grime
B - Metalness - defines if parts of the model should appear like metal or not

Emissive maps are what provide illumination info for the model

The above model does not need one - but here is an example of one that does:

Belidos did a much more exhaustive post on texture sets some time ago in the GGc section

Wizard posted a very easy to follow thread on Creating Max Surface Textures using Materialize

GraPhix has some simple tools to help create your textures as well over here GraPhix Apps on the store

Hope that helps

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2022 13:31 Edited at: 7th Feb 2022 13:35
Quote: "G - Roughness - defines detail like scratches and grime"

I hope it's okay if I add a bit to this one.

Roughness describes surface irregularities that cause light diffusion. It's the difference between a completely smooth surface, like polished aluminum, and a rougher surface. One is like a mirror and the other "diffuses" light so as to be less like a mirror (not reflective at all or barely reflective). So, a surface can be clean (not have visible scratches and grime), but still be "rough" and, as a result, not be very "mirror-like". Compare polished aluminum to brushed aluminum. Both are metallic, but one has a higher roughness value and, as a result, is less reflective.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 01:50:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 01:50:23