Product Chat / GG Loader asset handling and script emulation

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I mainly want to use GameGuru classic as a level editor and to utilize those fancy shaders Preben added. But importing assets into GG, and then convert them to agk can be a bit of pain. I even ran into several occasions that the models show up properly in agk, but totally invisible in GG. But since the GG loader automatically combines the textures and reads fpe files (I think), it seem that I can't just load fbx files directly at agk? Also I still am not quite sure how the normal maps works, GG uses DirectX maps, and agk uses OpenGL ones right?

Another qustion is how is GG Loader handling the "emulation" of lua? I saw an old GG Loader update saying a "rotatelight" support, but is this a GG command? How do I achieve this? Do I apply script in GG first?
I'll admit, I haven't read through all the source codes of GG Loader yet, however, it would be much appreciated if someone can point me to the right direction.

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
Recently Online
To be honest GG Loader is really an AppGameKit plugin so not many here will have much info.
Have you tried the AppGameKit forums
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
best to ask your questions directly @Preben
1. according to the help file AGK supports a list of formats, FBX included
https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/Reference/3D/LoadObjectWithChildren.htm
2. yes, AGK uses openGL / vulkan graphics ... not sure if that means anything for normal maps, i'm pretty sure you just supply the normal map as a texture in a different slot in AGK
https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/Reference/3D/SetObjectNormalMap.htm
3. back when i used GG loader it provided some basic script support by inputting certain script names in the AI "main" property inside GG but it doesn't convert custom scripts etc, only the name is used to determine if there is an existing behaviour that is set in GG loader... if you are using AGK you should really know how to code your own logic anyway
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
DonteLong
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I know how to load models in agk, and to be honest it's a lot easier in my opinion. But the thing is agk does not support PBR out of the box, only diffuse/normal/lightmap, not even specular map, and I digged into GG Loader's PBR demo, it only uses 3 textures to achieve PBR, which means it must pack metallic/roughness/ao maps into 3 texture stages.(agk only supports 8) So without GG Loader conversion process, I don't think the PBR will work.

The OpenGL normal map usually has a -y in green channel from the DirectX ones, so I was wondering if I have a normal map suitable for agk, do I need to convert it?

I didn't ask in the agk forum is just cause agk forum is a bit quiet recently, since the majority of the TGC manpower is being poured into GGMAX development.

But thank you both anyways!!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 20:49:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 20:49:53