Product Chat (Early Access) / GameGuru MAX Live - Broadcast #80 Answers

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2022 17:13
Hi All,

Here is the video from todays broadcast:

And here are the many questions you asked which did not make it into the live chat answers:

Q> I wonder if making anime fps is possible in max?
A> Not in the March release, but it would simply be a case of using the correct assets so no impossible!

Q> I tryed everything....game guru is installed but will not update with that tiny installer...now what...
A> Please report your issue to our GitHub issues board, along with your system specs. We will get right on it in Feb!

Q> Shotgun looks fun does it have melee feature?
A> Yes you can press ALT to do a butt hit!

Q> What tasks are actually going on at the moment, whos doing what?
A> Right now, I am on AI and integration, Paul is on terrain, Preben on UI and optimization/stability, Zak on the undo system, Mark on biome improvements.

Q> Will I be able to import an asset such as my weapon more easily? [with the animation]
A> Importing weapons will not be easy. They have a lot of moving parts and need to be highly confired to work with MAX. We will be providing advice around this in March.

Q> Will it be possible to add characters who fight with fists or melee weapons only?
A> We are focusing on characters that attack with projectiles right now. When we start the RPG genre, we will focus on melee combat.

Q> Will it be possible to assign a chase music to characters attacking you, or trigger music on any enemy seeing you?
A> Yes there are a number of ways to trigger music and event sounds during your game play design

Q> Will we be able to have bows and arrows? Sword play? Crossbow?
A> There are no plans for the March release for Bows and Arrows, Sword and Crossbows, but we will be taking those suggestions seriously when we do RPG.

Q> I still dont get that...failed to parse........remember i dont want my money back...i just want to enjoy it?
A> Sure thing. Please report your issue with as much detail as you can muster to our GitHub Issues board here: https://github.com/TheGameCreators/GameGuruRepo/issues

Q> How big a terrain can be and does it have something like World composition?
A> You terrain can be as large as 5km squared, and you can generate it with something we are calling a terrain generator.

Q> When will making a full game compiling be ready?
A> You can already create a standalone game in the current alpha build.

Q> Were you inspired by Davie with the fish (bass)?
A> Alas no, I came into work one day and I had fish

Q> When will VR become available?
A> We are planning VR development after March 2022.

Q> Can we get a fishing rod :p ?
A> Not for the shooter genre, but may very well appear as one of the game mechanics for the RPG genre. Hunting/Mining

Q> I remember a few videos ago you showed a forest with little critters running around - is that available as a demo?
A> No demos with the critters at the moment, but I am pretty sure the competition we are running will have a few demos that use animals

Q> Why is one option for setting an object as explosive removed? It was in classic and why not leave it as a trigerrable option here?
A> We are reducing any object property to simplify things for new users (who are not traditional Classic users). You can get all these properties back by setting Developer Mode and have all your properties back.

Q> Demo levels for the comp, will have some bugs, it is this okay. Should we list known bugs?
A> We fully expect bugs in your demo level submissions, as we are fixing them right up to the deadline, and the real bug fixing push starts after the deadline. Do not be afraid to submit what you have as we are very good at spotting potential!

Q> Can you add script to trigger areas?
A> Yes, set your MAX to developer mode and select the options to see all your properties, you can change the script that way. Use the trigger zone, its the nicest one to use.

Q> Will we be able to change the words that characters / enemies say? Like the words they say when they see you? Could it be picked from a random selection?
A> You can change the sound files used by the characters for their alerts, etc. We will be expanding this with more choices and dialog trees for the RPG genre when they will be very much needed.

Q> Does MAX need an end screen and game over screen? Your goal is to have an fps game that people will regocnise as an fps game, and most fps games dont really have a game over/game complete screen ?
A> It will be your choice. We have added the functionality for win/lose screens, but you can redirect what happens when the game ends, and even add logic to your final level to conclude your game there before turning directly to the title page.

Q> How do you import and have none cc models like a dog or a dragon work with MAX behaviours. especially if the animations are all in one file like classic etc?
A> You will import third party models through the model importer and they will be converted to MAX compatible game assets. Once in, you can use the Behavior Editor (advanced) to create logic visually and select from any animations the object originally contained. It is worth noting you will probably not be able to use advanced behaviors such as the animal and character behaviors with third party creations as they require a specific set of animations and specific rigs to function properly.

Q> What is the easiest way to make new 3d models for the 3d-illiterate? Relying on the library has its shortcomings?
A> For those who cannot create 3D art, the next best step after raiding the build-in object library is to find a team member who IS good at it, and work together to make a game from your combined ideas. Creating 3D models, texturing, rigging, animating and exporting them with technical exactitude is a high skill and will take you some time to master if you are starting from scratch.

Thanks for all your interest, more reveals next Wednesday at 4 PM GMT
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
@Lee;
"And down the road I suspect we'll be adding other things like key configurations, control configurations and this may move to that. But it's pretty new and let me know what you think."
Okay then. But why am I the first here to think?!!?
Does that mean that in practice, that weapon slot@key mapping menu will appear in compiled games- or is your @above quote pointing only to MAX engine UI? More clarification please. Is MAX a game itself or a game maker? I get confused sometimes. Sorry.

Explanation;
If this doesn't come up again before March, I'd be surprised. It seems like you are giving the game *Maker* the option to map weapon slots@keys of their choice "games often come pre-configured". Though this means no flexibility to players, and this ( anti- FPS man ) wonders why wouldn't this menu be provided to show up in a compiled, ( aka standalone ), ( aka distributable ), ( aka executable ) for the game *Player* to map their weapon slots ? Maybe one day you might even consider inventory menus including health items, maybe even shield, shelter or clothing collectibles that are carried! or something else highly imaginary! - but I digress.

As it stands, the game *Player* will be locked into what weapon slots game *Maker* has chosen for them, unless it goes forward into the Standalone build. Anyhow, since you showed the mechanics are in place, this less than hoo-waa, non- FPS fan just wonders ? Seems peculiar-- surprised viable FPS fans didn't catch this first -- so is it just me being confused again?
PM
Necrym59
Years of Service
User Offline
As usual some nice changes coming and will be good to see some bug fixes soon, more important than new arms though, is there going to be some sort of character editing capability apart from the basic supplied, I had a slew of models that now dont import or wont animate correctly due to the fixed way characters are controlled, if we have to rebuild them all to fit in with the new system then its paramount we have some easy access to templates and requirements for creation of chars, not all of us want modern military or policemen.
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2022 13:35 Edited at: 29th Jan 2022 12:21
Quote: " so is it just me being confused "

Umm - nope. I must admit your post confused the heck out of me too, so you not alone there

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
@OldFlak You are most correct.

My question: Why are game developers setting and locking the weapon slots for game PLAYERS? Yeah, potentially they could have 9 weapons-- though I don't care; I'll never make a FPS game, not even with the one that wants to do it all for you with a few clicks of a button -- @ GG. But other people might care, so I wonder why I'm the only one commenting..?

Options makes for HAPPY PLAYERS. The game developer is NOT the player, but the videos TGC make seems that way. So this inventory type below will be very easy to script, unless weapons are locked (hard coded) like Lee seems to say>> SEE 7:00 minutes to 9:20 @ Lee's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LR7YO_Okm8
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2022 13:10 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2022 14:02
Quote: "Why are game developers setting and locking the weapon slots for game PLAYERS? "

Well of course it is the game developer who decides what the player can do in game.

Hopefully later down the track when they work on the HUD creator they will give options that allow the developer to provide the options you mention.

Role player and puzzle would require at least simple inventory - so could probably be used for weapons too...

But it won't be done for initial release. We shall have to wait to see how it works out.

If not I guess we would have to script that kind of thing ourselves?

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
Vbfyy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2022 15:33 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2022 15:43
Hey @LeeBamber will there be in built road, pavement/footpath, system where traffic(NPCs and Some imported models like vehicles) could be automatically generated like many plugins in unity helps to achieve this. It would great feature if Added. Also is there a plan for something like a in build Hud editor?
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 01:53:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 01:53:23