TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2021 17:00
Hi All,

Find a recording of this weeks broadcast:

And all the answers to questions we did not reach during our live chat:

Q> Are there moving dynamic lights yet?
A> Yes you can assign behavior to a light game element, and use that to control the position and state of the light. All lights in GameGuru MAX are currently dynamic

Q> I just saw you hit that "area of play" boundary that's FAR from the end of the editable area, are there still plans for the "rolling generation" to remedy that issue?
A> Yes, I am not happy with the imposed play area. It makes 'technical sense' but I think most users on first entering a new terrain will want to walk a few miles and see if they can find the editable border. My bottleneck right now is the navmesh more than the terrain physics, but both will need elegant solutions to give the user full scope within the editable area while keeping memory down and loading time fast.

Q> Will there be options to change the parameters for the tree instancing, e.g. changing the density, etc. or clearing an area of trees?
A> We are planning some settings in the tree mode to allow good control of how you want your trees to work in your game. There is always the option of adding single trees the old fashioned way but we will be pushing the 'spray tree' system as a better way to sort out your forests and jungles.

Q> Will we see things like waterfalls?
A> There are no plans to add waterfalls for the EA version, and the first sign of them will probably come from third-party artists and some nifty visual and behavior systems.

Q> ​Will game guru max have fpsc map editor?
A> There are no plans to bring back the old FPS Creator Map Editor system.

Q> Will you look at making the play area bigger or editable smaller zones with links between procedural roaming. of course after the release?
A> Yes this is something we want o to resolve sooner rather than later. The experience needs to feel unrestrictive and natural.

Q> Those trees look a bit stiff. Any plans for a basic wind shader/effect on them?
A> There are no plans for wind effects or animations on the current tree system, mainly focusing on fast rendered static trees on the scale of forests and jungles. You can still of course drop in single trees for animations for canopy, and you can trigger wind effects through third party tree object animations with a clever behavior if you want to put in the work in the EA version. We do plan to have wind as part of the overall weather system, and that will affect all nearby trees (look out for that in 2022).

Q> ​Have you made any progress with improving terrain speed yet?
A> We are pretty happy with the virtual texturing speed, and the savings we have made to render such a high resolution terrain using an optimized terrain shader, but we do feel there is room for improvement. For drastic reductions in performance, it might be related to terrain but not the rendering, so please do report on our issues board if your system is misbehaving with large terrains.

Q> Could we please have a live session just for questions? So many questions!
A> Alas, the Wednesday broadcasts will have to suffix for this year, too much development to do. Perhaps in 2022 we could expand our social channel activity if it looks the development is ticking along nicely.

Q> Will we be able to swim in water?
A> You will be able to splash around on the edges of the water but there are no plans to add full swimming into the EA version.

Q> Will we have fish as well as the animals shown?
A> Yes you get three fish included in this Friday's build, and all animations have their animations included, and properly named. You can play with them, and perhaps create some simple behaviors in the Advanced Mode Behavior Editor.

Q> How are the physics of building importing going as I have models I can't enter any. News will be good thankyou?
A> You have a new collisionmode value of 9 for "hull decomposition" which you can set in your buildings FPE file which will cause it to calculate convex hull chains to create a physics structure you can enter. It is not 100% perfect, but will handle most simple building structures.

Q> Will MAX ever have the ability to export games for other platforms ie, switch, Xbox? so on
A> There are no plans to support other platforms at this time, we want to focus on creating a quality product for creating first-person shooter games for Windows 10 and above, then VR, RPG and Puzzle after that, and beyond this, many things!

Q> Is MAX going to have some sort of bullet holes, i.e. on the walls.
A> Yes we have that on our dev plan for the EA release, and will detect different material types when the bullet hole is made on static scenery.

Q> That last person's question reminded me, how do you expect the planned quads for bullet holes/blood to work on terrain or uneven surfaces?
A> Bulletholes are easy as they are small, and can be placed neatly on most surfaces, even if the macro surface is large. Blood splats and scorches are not planned for EA for the reason you state, they would need to envelop the surface which would require a different technique, perhaps decal projection, but this is a 2022 conversation.

Q> Will instancing ever make its way to characters? so we can have lots of similar characters (even if they're doing the same thing) such as an army etc.
A> No plans to convert characters to instance characters (to build a hoard) for the EA version. Each character is an object with its own settings and behavior. Nothing to stop you from putting a bunch of them down to attack at once, but there are no plans to support vast armies of soldiers at the moment, nice idea though!

Thanks for all your questions, more answers next Wednesday 4 PM BST!
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Fantastic work !!
Really coming together now
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Great broadcast! Lots of loose ends being tied up today by the looks. Roll on Friday
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2021 18:28
That's the way to go. Great work Lee and team

@ Lee
Quote: "Q> Is MAX going to have some sort of bullet holes, i.e. on the walls.
A> Yes we have that on our dev plan for the EA release, and will detect different material types when the bullet hole is made on static scenery."

Quote: "and will detect different material types "

So, this might help to determine the type of sound to play, as well, though.
Ty for the reply.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2021 18:43
This is fantastic, Max is quickly become a high quality but easy to use engine now. Excellent work Lee & the team
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, EVGA GTX1070ti 8gb Nvidia gfx card.

Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Novation Ultranova Synth, Roland D05 Synth, Akai MPX8 sample player, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Asus Ryzen 7 Vega 10 gfx chip, Vivobook Laptop, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram.

Cherry audio Voltage Modular Synth, PS-20 Synth, Eight Voice Synth, CS2600 Synth, JU106 Synth. Samson Graphite 49 Midi Controller Keyboard
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2021 21:54
@Lee and Team - awesome....
Can't find an emoji for gob-smacked, so I will just go out the back yard and grab my socks (they got blown off quite a distance)

Looking great!

OldFlak...
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 21st Oct 2021 00:49
Played around with the new system, still a bit of a hit and a miss, terrain editing isn't any thing special, pretty much the same as classic except for the new additions so it is mostly meh. You can't for example get a nice cliff going, mostly the shape of the cliff and that is about it.Texture blending of the terrain is miles better, but again it is only suited to the rolling hills type scenary.

Shadow rendering distant is pretty much set to max which eats frame rate, completely unneeded definitely dial it back to half the distance in a forest should be pretty good.The current randomness of the trees is okay, of course this will be improved on, right now it is a bit symmetrical which doesnt look natural, with the trees being spaced more less equally.Random clusters would be pretty good, and more natural, the trees also doesnt angle like it should on a slope.

Not all slopes should have trees either, or more sparsely depending on direction facing the sun.Of course you would be able to manually adjust trees as needed but editing thousands of trees is less then ideal, so the base randomizer could use so minor tweaks for a more natural surrounding.

Definitely a step in the right direction, needs that little extra push for me.A good showing overall
Win10 Pro 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2021 01:15
Hi
great work as always.

Just wondering when you start adding multiple tree types will they be placed intelligently or randomly?

By intelligently I mean taking account of the terrain. In real life some types of tree grow only above or below a certain altitude. Some trees can not grow if the terrain is too steep, while others only grow near water or grow less densely in exposed areas than sheltered ones.
Will the automatic tree placement take any of this in to account , if so will there be parameters we can change to tweak this behaviour ?

Thanks
Rick
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.”
Albert Einstein
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2021 02:31
Thanks for the fantastic work of late. I think this is becoming your golden goose.. The flagship it will be.

Thanks for the clarity on more expanse of terrain sizes. Be great when you get larger terrain running. Twill be the dogs.... Swing ball.
Anyway it looks awesome and good attention to detail and you are delivering the goods so im mightily impressed. Hope to do the engine some justice.
Will send the house model over this weekend as I'm working away till then amd kts on my desktop

Again tremendous work. You can be proud as punch now
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 22nd Oct 2021 07:57
Quote: "and all animations have their animations included"

I would hope so, that would be hard to explain otherwise
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

Zaxxan
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Gameguru Max is shaping up to be a quality product. Well done to Lee and the team.
PM
SAR1
Years of Service
User Offline

Having had a quick try with the latest update I am having a few niggles. When creating a new terrain I get the expected tree population but without any physics collision so the player can run right through the trunks. In what may be a similar collision (?) issue, if I sculpt terrain and run over the sculpted area the player falls through the map.

Probably less significantly I put the new fish in a body of water and found they swam off onto land and kept on swimming.
Also when the player dips below the water surface, it seems impossible to 'swim' back up to get air, possibly due to swimming not yet being implemented though.

I've done a clean install but the issues persist. Is this just me or are these actual known bugs I wonder ?
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2021 23:42
@ SAR1
Trees don't have collisions yet.

Quote: " if I sculpt terrain and run over the sculpted area the player falls through the map."

They are aware of and working on it.
swimming is not yet implemented.

memory mark 2584.8

PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 23rd Oct 2021 06:35
Ok so i had to go and test this Fridays build om some once else computer.
Just One question. The 400 000 tree looks very cool but are we suppose to walk past every tree and make sure its in the ground especially the one's that is situated on a angle or even close to an angle and one by one re plant them in to the ground or are you guys still working on this.

If this is part is finished then........... But if you guys are still working on it then there is still hope.

Thanks for the hard work.
Pcs
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590S CPU @ 3.00GHz
RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2021 08:22
@ PCS

Everything in Max is work in progress at the moment but it’s looking good

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
AORUS B550 Master Motherboard
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
128 GB DDR4 RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 23rd Oct 2021 08:31
Quote: "Everything in Max is work in progress at the moment but it’s looking good"

@granada, thanks, i dont think i have the energy to replant the trees.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590S CPU @ 3.00GHz
RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2021 15:25
I thought the fish coming out of the lake and setting off into the mountains was funny as... No end of amusement there that script would work with crocs crabs turtles seals and that type of animal

Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
PixelF
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2021 01:40
Has anyone tested MAX on Windows 11? I was considering upgrading to 11 but not sure if that will cause problems
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2021 08:18
@ PixelF
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/223081

memory mark 2584.8

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2021 10:06
Quote: "@granada, thanks, i dont think i have the energy to replant the trees."

They are still working on it, so it will improve, however don't expect every tree to be planted perfectly, it's unlikely they will be able to refine it that much, i think there will always be the odd case of trees not quite sitting right, so don't expect to not have to do any work after hitting the button.
Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Primary Laptop:

Secondary Laptop:

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2021 10:14 Edited at: 25th Oct 2021 10:14
Quote: "Having had a quick try with the latest update I am having a few niggles. When creating a new terrain I get the expected tree population but without any physics collision so the player can run right through the trunks. In what may be a similar collision (?) issue, if I sculpt terrain and run over the sculpted area the player falls through the map.

Probably less significantly I put the new fish in a body of water and found they swam off onto land and kept on swimming.
Also when the player dips below the water surface, it seems impossible to 'swim' back up to get air, possibly due to swimming not yet being implemented though.

I've done a clean install but the issues persist. Is this just me or are these actual known bugs I wonder ?"

Trees: The trees have no collision, this is intended at the moment, while they are working on collision.
Terrain: The falling through terrain is another matter, however they are working on collision at the moment so it may be in hand.
Fish: The scripts for creatures are rudimentary at the moment, just for use as quick examples, i'm sure they will get better.
Swimming: Lee stated in a broadcast that there will be no swimming, at least not in the first release, you will have splashing when you walk along the edges, but no swimming.

Have you watched the live broadcasts? Because most of this, and a lot of what other people are asking is covered in the broadcasts, I'd highly recommend watching them all the way through, Lee does actually answer lot of things people ask about, some of which come up every broadcast despite him mentioning them every broadcast (release dates etc.).
Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Primary Laptop:

Secondary Laptop:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 12:28:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 12:28:52