Scripts / GG Classic AI stops far away from player with Always Active set to YES

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I wanted to make a little sniping level where the player tries to shoot some enemies from far away with the standard sniper gun. But after putting a few enemies on way points they just stand there doing nothing until the player gets close to them (too close to make the sniping fun) and then the close ones activate. I was using the setting Always Active set to Yes in the physics properties of the entities and no change to the behavior of far away characters.

I used the standard combat soldier and the fantasy barbarian. 11 characters total, two waypoint paths, one player start marker, an ambient marker and that's it. Very basic scene for testing. I did generate a Standalone also, to see if the behavior changed. It did not.

This problem seems to be something discussed before in 2017 here:
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/213322#msg2528900
But the thread doesn't list a solution, just that Lee was going to address it in a future update.

So my question: is there a known workaround for distant enemy AI seemingly getting turned off?

I'll continue testing to see if I did something odd. I am new to this engine after all!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a true story; Once upon a time, my son and I wanted to make a game. I first loaded up Unity and we tried using that. He was making a level for the game idea he had, and was pretty excited for it. We both had zero experience with game engines. I got a little frustrated with certain aspects of Unity and thought I'd check around to see if there was a simpler UI. Stumbled across a Youtube video and thought I'd try GG.

I got this "engine" in about Aug. 2018. And I remember putting characters down on a very distant location to snipe from a great height, (they where quite small) and if I'm not mistaken they reacted and even looked for me.... I even remember the first projects we did was to test waypoints, and again to observe them from a distant hill (had to be ~2500 units FAR away). But I do agree they certainly do NOT behave past the 1500 mark TODAY, which must have been one of their mandated quarantine fidgets to budget the poor performance-- even after they where supposed to have been freed. I was a slouch abandoning Unity- true. So being a slouch, I stuck with the slouch GG "engine"-- regrettably.

(Back at the start of this story, my son tried one level in GG and desperately wanted to stick with Unity. He told me we need to operate in Unity or it would be useless. Because I stuck playing around with GG, my son vehemently abandoned the game making idea after looking at it.) From that time on I tried to learn as much scripting in GG as possible to allow actual game play to come to fruition. But even all that scripting won't pull together a trampled mess. There are pretty stout prohibitions on what can be allowed in GG, and being one sole user makes for hard times.

Flash forward to the present time today... Basically motivation = ZERO at the GG projects. Checked out a book on C# from the library!
PM
bluemeenie195
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2021 03:03 Edited at: 13th Nov 2021 03:05
Try some different bad guys with always active on and see what happens
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 18th Nov 2021 17:36 Edited at: 18th Nov 2021 17:41
I have tested it just now with one normal Npc and a waypoint and all works out fine.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590S CPU @ 3.00GHz
RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
bluemeenie195
Years of Service
User Offline
It's probably the waypoint line. If you keep it to a simple straight line from far away it should work.
PM
wilmarzop
Years of Service
User Offline
Try some different bad guys with always active on and see what happens https://get-mobdrovip.com https://techzpod.com/
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 10:37:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 10:37:11