Product Chat / MAX levels vs GGjr levels

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Quick question.
GGjr resets/ empties all memory in any standalone / begin and load next level- correct?
You have to build a script to save/ load if you want to retain any existing information between levels.
It wasn't always this way- correct?

Would this "feature" (or hurdle) to reset-all-memory be desirable in (64-bit) MAX or would it be more desirable to retain level to level all the values, inventory, etc memory? And/ or be a user selectable option...
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2021 17:44
The problem with this, as I've mentioned before, is that the engine doesn't know what you need to save!

Most of the time the person creating the game doesn't know either unless they have planned out their game properly.

For example you 'complete' level one and go on to level two, then later on you return to level one. Does the engine simply keep open any doors that were opened on the first 'completion' of the level and keep closed any that weren't? That might sound like the obvious thing to do but it might not be depending on the gameplay you have in mind and there is really no simple way of telling the engine what you want it to do except through scripting it yourself (or buying a specific script from the store maybe).

A generic one-size-fits-all solution is unlikely to be possible without a major redesign to the way GG levels are built and stored.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
In fact when posing this question, I never considered returning to a level once you left it...
I see it as more like just keeping up with things like weapons, health, inventory, variable values, etc.
But good point made.
Primarily this is a question that looks at now and once before. So was this always the case; ie has something fundamentally changed in GG at some point different in memory saving from level to level? It seems I've heard the rumor that once upon a time memory was NOT wiped clean between levels, but because of issues arising from constraints on memory, now after each level change, all memory is cleared. (Maybe this is all my own assumption?) So primarily for now, I'm really posing this as a question for information purposes. IDK?

In fact with MAX single levels may become more a thing of the norm? And that's what I'm wondering because like you said things can get tricky when swapping back and forth and there's some critical attention needed to work it all out.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 9th Jun 2021 11:21 Edited at: 9th Jun 2021 12:22
Quote: "It seems I've heard the rumor that once upon a time memory was NOT wiped clean between levels, but because of issues arising from constraints on memory, now after each level change, all memory is cleared."

You're mixing up two different things, it has always been the case that variables haven't carried over between levels unless you script it, and health/ammo have always carried over. The memory clearing thing added recently is nothing to do with variables being saved, it's about clearing the cache memory, things like textures, models etc.
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2021 11:56 Edited at: 9th Jun 2021 11:56
weapons and ammo should already carry over between levels.
any variables such as custom inventory or crafting etc needs to be done manually.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the clarification.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 06:55:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 06:55:49