Product Chat / Steam - "Review Book" On GG

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What that means is that I'm now seriously considering submitting a review of GGClassic on the Steam page.
Not just a statement like: "Well, it's alright sorta for some things, but pretty bad on others- so meh."
Not just that kind of review, but facts and figures and details. And what part I'm working on now, and asking for your help with are the tools and features that GGJr comes with "out of the box" and no matter how small, I'm listing them.
Here is my list so far, please consider adding your suggestions if you feel so inclined. (Unfortunately there will be plenty of faults where GG falls short), and if you really want to say something for that, you can but this is primarily for FEATURES (no matter their state of usefulness.)
There's quite a lot I am probably missing as I don't model and get into FPE's or settings much so if anyone has those more technical features or something I obviously missed, I'm all ears.
My list so far;
***Listed not in any particular order of importance, just based upon what came off the top of my head on the fly. Obviously some of these are very standard to the industry and essential, but let's list them anyhow:

Terrain tools, terrain textures, grass painting.
Skybox system.
First Person Controls (limited 3rd person controls).
Weapons / ammo and weapon behavior including animation and damage.
Player health and life system.
Player sounds/ Footstep sounds.
AI sounds.
Hud system.
Sprite system.
Text system.
Visual graphics controls (Brightness, Contrast, Bloom, Vignette, Zoom, Fog, etc)
Sun shadows/ time of day controls.
Water settings.
Auto Level of Detail. (Not customizable).
Point lights and flood lights.
Trigger Zones
Easy Building Editor
Character Creator
Lua Scripting
Bullet engine physics
Large collection of models including characters
AI scripts for NPC's
Way-points for NPC's
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
LOD for objects is customisable btw, but only with a 3D modelling package and FPE edits.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2021 21:28
Particle system.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2021 21:33
LightMapping
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2021 08:25 Edited at: 8th Jun 2021 08:26
The trouble is, you'll have to caveat so many of these features. You say Game Guru has a HUD system, some people will interpret that as it having a GUI editor for creating HUDs, possibly animated ones, when in fact it has a somewhat basic system that displays static images according to a script you must edit outside of the program itself.

The text system; it can display a maximum of seven different sizes of text...and you have to make the sprite atlases yourself. You can't simply say, "display this text in 24pt Arial".

Sun shadows/ time of day controls; you can switch shadows globally on or off, and there's a script floating around somewhere that will dynamically move the sun, but it doesn't update the skybox (that's something you'll have to script yourself and even then you won't get a realistic transition between skyboxes, just a hard cut from one to the next).

AE
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2021 08:44
Its shocking for game making but good to learn on. Amd its newer brother the max engine is the next step with better graphics by wicked engine and has the bullet physics engine.
So in short
Good ti learn how ro make a game and grasp the concepts of game making and max is good for the more advanced users. So buy the cheap engine to see if you want to make games amd if you do buy the max engine
Im 50 now aint a kid travelled the world been in terrorist bombing shot at near kidnapped. Have an audi a house a fiancee a cat and ex dj and promoter and now home Manager. Have a degree and lots of quals and this is actually all true
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 8th Jun 2021 11:54
Quote: "Its shocking for game making but good to learn on. Amd its newer brother the max engine is the next step with better graphics by wicked engine and has the bullet physics engine.
So in short
Good ti learn how ro make a game and grasp the concepts of game making and max is good for the more advanced users. So buy the cheap engine to see if you want to make games amd if you do buy the max engine"

Your original full statement had 33 words... you're in "short" statement had 45 words ..... LOL!
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
@DVader, AmenMoses, 3com- thanks.

@AE
I hear ya, to incorporate detailed use steps into a review is too much. That's for the user to learn. I guess then on some of those features they should be called ex; HUD capability *via script*. Also- text is indeed a limited feature.

@ Science Boy
Interestingly enough, my thoughts exactly. GG MAX will get a plug in my review because it just so happens that MAX seems to be covering most of the "cons" that negatively effect game making in GGjr-- even though MAX is not vetted yet, those features showcased by TGC or forthcoming cover several major complaints. The review wasn't designed this way, it just fell into it...
PM
Bob Humid [2021]
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2021 14:37
ambience sound (as in "room tones" or birds, backgrounds etc.)
vs.
soundtrack (dynamic to the gameplot or not)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 11:19:01
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 11:19:01