Product Chat / Fighting Game (VERY BEGINNER DEVELOPER)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2021 16:53
Hello there folks,

I recently got Game Guru on Steam at a good price because of it's simplicity which fits my beginner's experience at game developing, and for years I've wanted to make a fighting game featuring my own original characters and allow the game to be modded by it's playerbase through custom characters and maps. Basically, I want to create a game in a vein similar to the Pipeworks Godzilla trilogy or Drunken Wrestlers 2 but with my own stuff, so how possible is it to create a game like this within Game Guru?

If any of you know how I can accomplish this, I would definitely appreciate it because even though this is a simpler game engine, I am still trying to wrap my head around creating distinct gamemodes and importing custom models and animations.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2021 18:53 Edited at: 8th May 2021 18:57
Game Guru is capable, just not aimed at that sort of thing. As a beginner I would consider another engine that is designed for such games, or to start simple and work up. To do what you want will require most of GG's features to be ignored and for you to take control via lua scripting. Not a beginner project by any means. I haven't played either game you mention but assume they are a 3rd person type fighter of some sort. Using GG's default TPC stuff will be very limiting for a fighter.

I made this demo awhile back. I coded it from scratch in lua. Had some issues though which put me off continuing, and I've been using GG since it was first released and wasn't a beginner to game making then by any means.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Allosaur Hell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2021 22:11
Thanks, I will look further into these things, and yeah the game I am going for is more or so a 3rd person type fighting game so not a side scroller.

Here's a small example of one of the games I'm looking to as reference, I'm guessing it's going to be harder to accomplish in Game Guru.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPLWpivwqXI&ab_channel=RayDhimitri
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2021 22:43 Edited at: 8th May 2021 22:44
Unfortunately if that is your goal then you wont be able to do it in GameGuru.
I have seen a lot of impressive stuff by advanced users and as classic beat em ups go this is probably the closest i have seen. Its just not designed to create such games

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2021 17:26 Edited at: 9th May 2021 17:35
i would recommend the engine that "isn't real" to make your game, it can handle animated physics the easiest afaik.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Allosaur Hell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2021 18:12
I have that engine, but it is such a mess in it's layout so I'm more accustomed to testing in Game Guru or Unity.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2021 00:57 Edited at: 11th May 2021 02:25
My side scroller was just an example. You could do the same thing with a 3rd person view, but not an easy job or anything like a beginner project. Whatever engine you decide to use you need to start a little smaller I think and work up to your big idea in steps. Default GG third-person is pretty limited and for sure without a lot of extra code not gonna make a beat-em-up with many moves. Even in TP GG is biased to shooting mechanics.

The side scroller I posted was written entirely in lua. No automatic stuff at all. I treated it like it was AGK or a similar language and just did everything manually. I may even get back to it when I have finished my current distraction lol.

It's possible for sure, but I would say it's pretty advanced stuff to make a decent beat em up in anything. I've played about with other similar projects, but don't have any videos of them at the moment. I'll see what I can dig up.

Edit - found this out.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2021 12:02 Edited at: 11th May 2021 12:03
@Dvader
Even thats a better result than i expected
However even if you achieve all that the OP mentions ...
" allow the game to be modded by it's playerbase through custom characters and maps."
I think this would be its downfall ?
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes I imagine so. You could make a map editor in GG, but it would be limited to a set amount of scenery. Again defo not for a beginner and not suited to GG really. Character customisation though is not really an option, again best you could possibly do is have a selection of models to choose from.
MXS
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2021 17:38
This is why third person should have support in this engine and max because there is a bigger fan base out there for this genre development.
more than what meets the eye.Welcome to SciFi Summer

Windows 10 home premium 64bit gtx1660 ti 6gb 16gb ram i9 9900k

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, one of the features that was tacked on for Steam release and never much changed. I think TGC realised they needed some more suitable models for it and put it to one side.
Found this old demo out as well So thought I put it up.
Allosaur Hell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2021 06:33
That Batman beat em up is so cool! Something like that would probably work for my combat game projects.
Allosaur Hell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2021 00:07
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but how can I import my own custom models (both rigged models and other objects) into Game Guru? I try searching for a tutorial but they are too long and difficult to follow for me.
Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2021 00:26
"but how can I import my own custom models"

Just put Your x file together with Your textures in a map and put in an fpe file from another object and change the names to the name of Your x file and textures. Fragmotion is Great if You need an dbo/x exporter..
Good luck
Stop being mediocre, be Yourself...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 10:30:40
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 10:30:40