Product Chat / [SOLVED] Colour Problems

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi. PLEASE help. I've uploaded the latest beta of GGMax and all I get is a screen with a total mess of hundreds of colours. I cannot even read what is on the screen! Anybody know what to do about this? - the program often doesn't want to start either. I'm 83 and quite willing to admit that as such an old fogey I might just be doing something stupid...
Mike L
PS: Just to show how dumb I am: If i download the latest beta must I delete the previous one or Ido I just let it install over what is already there?
Old guy in a modern world

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi there
Ideally you need to uninstall the previous version of GameGuru Max and delete any related folders.
Then download the "Tiny Installer " and install that.

Once done run it and the latest version of Max will install.
From this point Max will update through the installer so you will not have to install again.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Grandpamike
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Synchromesh. Many thanks for speedy reply but I regret it didn't help. I did what you said and the latest build was duly installed by tiny installer. However, I still just get these hundreds of colours on the screen. Thought I would take screenshot to show you gents what exactly I am talking about but (weird!) in any screen grab, if the whole screen or just a part of it, all the textures and colors are 100% correct. On the screen they most certainly are not: just hundreds of colors everywhere, even if I start one of the demo's supplid.
Regards and thanks anyway.
Mike L
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2021 12:24
Do you try Verify files?
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 10th Mar 2021 12:25 Edited at: 10th Mar 2021 12:28
Hmn, what graphics card are you using?

If what you are describing is what I'm picturing then it really sounds like you have an issue with the vram on your graphics card. But that's just based on your description, i could be completely misunderstanding you.
Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Primary Laptop:
i5, NV1050 4GB, 8GB memory, 1x 1TB HDD, Win10.

Secondary Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.

Grandpamike
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi gents and thanks for attemps to assist. I use an AMD Radeon R7 card and I think its fine. Has given me no problems with any other games or hefty simulator programs - including Game Guru classic. I really wish I could explain what I see better: no problem with initial start, no problem with making the level or loading a demo but the moment I get onto "test level" I get this mass of weird colors. As I said, funnily enough, if I try to make/send a screen grab, all the olours and tetures are correct.
Mike L (aka Grandpamike)
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2021 14:23
Maybe try to record a short video of the gameplay.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2021 15:08
Do you have anything running in the background that would eat into the graphics card memory. Any windows or other updates waiting to be installed? My music software acts up if there is a windows update queued.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics. Acer Swift i3 Laptop with Intel Optane memory, Intel 620UHD GPU, Windows 10 64bit.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
To get a screenshot you may do better recording a video. Something like Bandicam should work with an AMD card. Then just grab an image from the video to show here
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Grandpamike
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Tarkus and Darth Vader. No, I have nothing else running and I will try to make a screen recorder after I download the necessary software. Even weirder: there's a button that says "restore default settings" - not that I've changed anything -and when I press that the screen changes to what it should be, correct colours, object texture, etc. HOWEVER, it also pops up a screen asking if I want to keep that setting - and when I click on either the yes or no options it goes totally haywire with colours and textures again. Its really bad - thousands of multicolored pixels as if somebody poured multicolored sand over my display.
Regards, Grandpa Mike
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2021 08:19
Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers to the latest version?

Alternatively, what specific graphics card do you have? The R7 class has many cards and some of the lower end ones (such as the R7 240) look like they are not powerful enough to run Game Guru Max.

AE
Grandpamike
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi. I do have the latest version and also 16GB of memory - so I do not think its the card. I'll wait and see if any of the future updates will fix this otherwise I will get rid of GGMax and stick with the classic version. Lee can keep the money.
Regards, Grandpa Mike
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 11th Mar 2021 14:32
When you're doing the 'screen grab' are you using windows print screen for this or the GG F10 screen shot key (assuming Max has this enabled - I haven't looked at latest Max betas)? Asking because it sounds kind of like the Max rendering is OK but it's the display of that which is corrupting and wondering if it's related to the DPI updates (asking to 'restore defaults' sounds like it may have or be trying to change desktop resolution)

Cheers.
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER PassMark: 18125
Grandpamike
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Hi Cybernescence. I am using the windows keys as well as a seperate screen grabbing program I have. Situation is: 1. I build level. No problem, textures, objects etc., all correct. 2. I press test game key- display goes into a sandstorm of colour. 3. I try the restore setting defaults and it comes out OK then reverts back to the sandstorm. 4. I take a few screenshots so that you knowledgeable gents can see what a mess I'm actually looking at - but when I look at those screenshots everything is fine: colors etc 100%!
I'll try -in desperation - your screen resolution suggestion. But what resolution should I use? At the moment my display is 1920x1080.
Regards, Grandpa MIke
PM
Grandpamike
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Cybernescence - Wow, you've solved the problem amd made my day! I reduced the display size and everything now works fine. Still have to figure out what the optimal screen resolution is - what display size do you use?
Regards and thanks again. Grandpamike
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 12th Mar 2021 11:47
That's great you found a way forward !

Sorry can't help with the resolution question - whilst I've ordered GG Max I'm not trying out the betas until later in the year when hopefully it's a lot more stable and there are some big drops of expected functionality.

I do remember seeing on one of Lee's videos that there was a DPI setting somewhere in GG Max - perhaps playing with that setting may help and it might be that you've uncovered a bug related to resolutions?

Cheers.
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER PassMark: 18125

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 10:18:25
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 10:18:25