Product Chat / GameGuru Max Normals Flip, More Than One Mesh, Directory Importing

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2021 10:01
Hello All

I hope I have the right forum for this.

First Normal Flipping when importing a model. I have mainly had success with this where required but a few models seemed to get their normals flipped whether I do it or not. Flipped or not the results are the same. See the picture of a watchtower below.

More than one mesh. Sometimes I export from Blender using more than one texture. This allows for easier texturing in some cases in Substance Painter. This will give a second set of textures as shown in the pictures below where the main body is one set and the rails are another. I have tried putting them in the textureref1, textureref2 , textureref3 but that does not work. I may be missing something bit I cannot find a way of attaching these textures to the mesh.

Finally it is a bit of a drag when importing several models all stored in one directory to have to navigate to that directory for each new import.

I am sure there are answers to all these but I just cannot find them. Many thanks to those that will reply.

Ken
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 4th Mar 2021 10:41
Unfortunately flipping of text has been like this since FPSC and has remained ever since to allow backward compatibility with older models.

There is two ways around this either you flip the uv map, or when designing your normal or text for the color texture have it pre-flipped.

As for dealing with multitextures.
Don't work with blender so I don't know. What I normally do is export the unmerged mesh to llithunwarp, assign each uvmap a texture slot, import back to the model editor, assign the textures, then merge the mesh export again. Import into fragmotion, and assign the textures again and export, correcting the normals/smoothing ect, export as an object file and job done.

Use the import function in max and that automatically picks up all the textures and assign them, without having to lift a finger due to the ground work being already done, having the textures referenced in the model it self.

Manually trying to assign via FPE isn't going to end well, if the model file doesn't correctly reference the model. So you would need to change your work flow and make sure the the model file references the textures correctly.

Win10 Pro 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2021 12:34
@ grobyken
Never try importer at least no atm, so ignore about map name convention, assume your occlusionRoughntessMetallic is the "Surface" map in GGMax, anyway, do not worry, GGMax should create a surface.dds map for you.
Also, you have some options on GGMax to flip normals.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 01:44:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 01:44:49