Scripts / particle emmiter for smoke

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Total War Saga: Troy, Amytric Pulse
Posted: 30th Jan 2021 19:32 Edited at: 30th Jan 2021 21:54
Hello everybody

Have an idea to create something looking like smoke. If you check my video, you note that I used a decal for smoke from industrial tube. It looks good enough. But...only if decal far away. If decal is too close to player and player looks upward, smoke decal does not look natural. Again if it is far away it can be masked by scenery object and it is not bad salvation. But it excepts any closer look upward without masking. Bad.

So that's why I've tried to explore how to create smoke with particle emmiters. I guess, particles can give more cool result. I saw some examples of creating not bad fire here on forum. But fire is not smoke. Morever, any simple example of particle emitter has too much uknown parameters. And I am confused how to do this. May be someone knows how to create smoke with particles. Or can share some examples.
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2021 19:43
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/220140#msg2606716

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/220055#msg2622747

Should get you started.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Scanman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2021 19:53
Thank you, AmenMoses.

I have lots of questions, but I wil try to jump into basics before ascing something.
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice level. Very creative. Never thought of stacking up the rocks in that way.
For particles, they can be finicky when testing over and over.
Re-start GG if something doesn't seem right. Better yet, that's why AmenMoses'
tools are the way to go. Personally I'd save particles for the very last add after all
the rest of the design. But maybe it'll go pretty easy.
Have you thought of moving the new dynamic sun shadows + visual sliders to see
what that could produce?
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2021 23:47
Wonder if Lee is willing to support amen's particle system in GGMax? personally, I want to keep it working on GGMax as it does in GG, or even better, I want to be able to choose if I want or does not to buy a 3ยช party particle editor.
Particles and shaders are pretty important in the game maker universe.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Scanman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2021 05:18 Edited at: 31st Jan 2021 05:24
@GubbyBlips, thank you for attention. "stacks of rocks"? ah, that was not my idea...I can tell you how I came to it. In the beginning, I met "chinese floating mountains" while googling for beautiful mountaneous backgrounds, but for the first time I did not pay to it much attention and skipped this idea due to "grotesky" element in design. But after that, while exploring Iclone's content store I met this Rock Pack (click here). I was really admired with cool foggy effect and I say to myself: "Wow! May be I can repeat something like this using my Ultimate Rock Pack from Game Gure content library?"
PM
Scanman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2021 22:14 Edited at: 27th Aug 2021 22:26
Hi there,

I want to add heli to my level. As you can see in the video below I added blood_particles script from forum to it. So every successful rocket hit calls particle emitter with blood sparkles. I think that is cool if heli will reek like hell with smoke jets.

So i believe that i need to change sprites to something looking like smoke. But what do i need to change to remove timer so sprites can be emitted continuosly? Thanks everybody a lot for help...
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I want to add heli to my level. As you can see in the video below I added blood_particles script from forum to it. So every successful rocket hit calls particle emitter with blood sparkles. I think that is cool if heli will reek like hell with smoke jets.

So i believe that i need to change sprites to something looking like smoke. But what do i need to change to remove timer so sprites can be emitted continuosly? Thanks everybody a lot for help...
"

blood_particles from forum.. do you mean mine?
either way there is generally a life setting for the particles so you should be able to make the a larger value to make it stay around
g_blood_splatter_particle[e]['sminlife'] = 350
g_blood_splatter_particle[e]['smaxlife'] = 450
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 02:07:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 02:07:13