Product Chat / [LOCKED] GameGuru MAX Live - Broadcast #28 Answers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 01:43
Hi guys

One of the problems GG faced was stuff that worked in the editor did not work the same in the standalone. The standalones also suffered from missing media etc.
If standalone creation is enabled early in Max then user testing to confirm that there a no functional differences can be carried out as the features are introduced potentially catching problems early.
Leaving it to the end is likely to make it more difficult to discover underlying causes and interactions that can lead to the sort of problems GG suffers from.

Look after yourselves
Rick.

Protect your neighbours wear a mask and get vaccinated.

“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.”
Albert Einstein

"Ye count your selfe wele lettred , your lernyng is starke nought."
Anon
PM
swift-au
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 03:35 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 03:35
Quote: "Actually you did compare. Why did you bring up unity at all? its a totally different situation. Totally."

It's no different at all, and yet you appear to be saying that if someone downloads a crap game in ggmax, they are going to think ggmax is crap, whereas if they download a crap game made with Unity, they're going to think Unity is excellent. That's just silly. Like I said, nobody interested in making games is going to base their opinion on a game making utility based on a game they purchased on Steam. If you're talking about those people who just want to play games, well, obviously they won't know anything about the engine until they actually download and play the game, so again, it's not relevant at all.

I just don't get the point of your exclusive club that gets to decide what can and what can't be published with ggmax. If someone has paid for ggmax, surely they should be entitled to make what they want with it.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 08:01 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 11:37
Whatever dude. I tried to talk reason and you clearly are not a reasonable person. Enjoy your game making

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 09:18
@ Ratall +1 what you said m8, so many old builds i did were missing media etc ok i worked around it at the time. But wouldn't want to really have it in max. Leave it in and let us feedback on it, not lock it away only to have problems with it later.
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
R5 2gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 09:21 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 09:22
Putting my game developer hat on:
I would 100% base my decision to buy a game engine on the games made with it. Maybe not one or two games, but a handful at least. I'd want to see what different mechanics and genres were possible, how good it looks etc. If I played six games and all of them had terrible AI, bad gunplay, and persistent memory leaks...well then I'd think maybe I shouldn't drop money on that product.

Putting my gamer hat on:
If I bought a few games made with engine A and found them clunky, buggy, and with poor graphics, I would be less inclined to buy any game made with engine A again.

I agree with Ratall that the standalone issues need to be thoroughly weeded out before V1 can release, but what we have currently is what feels like ~30% of the proposed V1 product, so I think it's too soon to be worrying about standalone.

AE
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 09:39 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 09:42
AE agreed lol when reading the forums on max lately I've seen a lot of don't include this or don't include that which to me just makes no sense if its not included it cannot be tested and therefore no feedback can be given from different machines. Its a game making engine not the latest security package for nasa. with me i use the standalone alot just to test the models i use work e.g build and test.....no warped bodies ...cool that works
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 10:15 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 11:20
AE fair point
Still far too early to make a game and i have no idea why build is there. But it is. Why not have internal testers for the build to crunch the bugs.
Ratall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 10:39 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 10:42
The number of potential failure paths tends to raise exponentially with the number of features/functions in a program.
Lets face it if Lee releases a make standalone function that just produces a textured terrain that you can walk around someone will find just the right combination to break it, whether it be a hardware configuration or a combination of textures nobody thought of trying , something totally unexpected.
Roll standalone features out in parallel to editor features then we can break them in both places at once while its all still fresh in the developers minds. Hopefully that way every new function will be added to a solid working base both in the editor and the standalone.
After all the whole thing is just a support package for making those standalones.

An aside.
Personally I hate the term standalones I much prefer to divide it into development and run time packages.

The development package contains all you need and more to create your runtime package.
The runtime package contains only what you need for that particular game no more no less.
With GG your runtime package seemed to contain lots of things you didn't need and was often missing stuff you did need.
I hope the same doesn't happen with max
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.”
Albert Einstein

"Ye count your selfe wele lettred , your lernyng is starke nought."
Anon
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 11:10 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 11:25
When it comes to Standalone it does differ this time ..
In GameGuru the Standalone is created from here there and everywhere with bits taken from GameGuru's folder structure.

This time all the files are taken from your project folder in GameGuruApps ( totally self contained from the engine )
I am assuming that alone will be the folder used to create the standalone which is likely to be much more thorough.
However that saved file structure is still incomplete when you save your maps ( No scriptbank folder ) for example which is bound to cause issues right now.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 11:18 Edited at: 30th Jan 2021 00:40
Tbh honest whatever they do i just want an engine that works fully with the promised parts. Flippers can flip away and think they are ace or make small money. Hobbiests. I wish them well and to prosper. Serious heads for serious games good luck. To the antagonist my professional job says you need some help. To the frustrated and angry people peace be with you and i will watch it unfold let the products speak volumes.

Sb
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 12:41
I think GGMax will have a project feature, therefore standalone will be project base.
I just say again: how code something based on some feature then does not exist yet?
It is no matter of fanboy club decision, is only something that IS UNDOABLE YET.!!!!!
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
darimc
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 12:46
Quote: "I don't really have a problem with the standalone being added, primarily because of the issues i had with GG's standalone creator, so for me its good to have early to test to see if it has any issues e.g models not copying over etc, also there isn't as yet tons of people who actually have max to try and make a game so to speak. Yeah if needed put a splash on it, but we definitely need to test it and make sure it works."

Quote: "I am not totally agree regarding do not allow the user to generate autoexec files. I think it is good to let the user use that function in the alpha release, then the user could also inform about any issue o bug in that process."

Quote: "I really don't see the need for limiting features just because the engine isn't ready yet. Let it be, let it be. Users are free to try and export finished games, I don't see the problem with that."

Quote: "If standalone creation is enabled early in Max then user testing to confirm that there a no functional differences can be carried out as the features are introduced potentially catching problems early.
Leaving it to the end is likely to make it more difficult to discover underlying causes and interactions that can lead to the sort of problems GG suffers from."

Comments like these are exactly why Lee should NOT include standalone builds in the next release. These comments show a fundamental misunderstanding of how software development works in that users will think it's possible to test features that have not been properly implemented. You will find near infinite bugs in a feature that is not developed, most of which will be pointless to report, because once development on the feature actually begins, much of what currently exists there will be ripped out and reimplemented, making a vast majority of the bug reports inapplicable to the final product.

The current implementation of standalone is unfinished and intended for internal use. Allowing users to use it will mean nothing other than a bunch of unwanted bug reports about a feature that hasn't been developed yet. And there is nothing worse as a developer than having to wade through a million bug reports concerning features you explicitly told users are unfinished and have asked them not to test. The correct solution here to avoid these bug reports until the feature has been implemented is to simply not include it.

Quote: "Wow, Script-Spawning Entities is a MUST-HAVE feature imo, and no game engine can be taken seriously without it. Sounds like Lee rejected that idea for a grouping system in the map editor? IDK I'm confused.
Scripters are not important here?"

Quote: "Lee should open up MAX features as much as possible utilizing Wicked engine, expanding the developer functions (Spawn via Script! ), etc."

I think you are misunderstanding the concept of the object generator, or I am. The way I understand it is that there will be a generator marker of some sort that can be used to configure object spawning from the user interface, and also from a script. I cannot imagine it would make sense to create the object generator feature, but have the implementation be entirely hard coded and un-scriptable. I think it is very, very likely that Lee's comments are a confirmation of the object spawning feature you (and many others including me) have wanted for so long.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 13:02 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 13:09
I don't think that's the case at all if you watch the video Lee stated that if something doesn't work or isn't quite implemented yet, he has marked it as such. Therefore there would be no use sending in a bug report. He also stated that the internal testers would be testing first and then when each part is complete they then in turn would release it out to us to test further and put in any bug reports that we may find that they may have missed. What I'm saying is that there is no point including for e.g the standalone creator into the GUI/Software only to have to waste his time taking it out again. If it's there so be it if it isn't "ho hum said Poo" if it is marked as not complete don't send bug reports.... not that hard to understand or even worth giving Lee more jobs to to than he needs to do. Not only that but it kind of read like your saying Lee doesn't have any idea about software development as he's put something in that you don't think he should have.
8gb Ram 8gb Ram

Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 14:40
I just want Max to be as professional and secure as possible.

Keep the spammers, the scammers and the pirates away from Max.
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 15:33 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 15:46
I would not necessarily judge a game development tool based on the games produced, but on the features present in the actual engine and how well they are implemented. Games produced with the engine may not accurately reflect that. As an example, a game could get terrible frame rates because the developers did not understand how to optimize things like meshes, materials, etc., or how to put together a level to run properly in the engine they choose to use. I would check the engine features to see if it would meet the needs of my project and then would want to test the engine to see how well those features were implemented. If my internal tests are not passed based on the project I intend to develop, then the engine is passed over.

Judging a game engine by the game produced with it is somewhat like judging a pencil by the art created with it. Sure, there are good pencils and crappy ones. But some people just can't draw ... no matter what grade pencil you give them.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 17:19
I wonder there the latest beta is, changing the subject slightly, looking forward to it when it gets here. It's Friday
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth, Roland D05 Synth Module, Bluedio Victory V Headphones, AKG K141 Studio Headphones, Lenovo Ideapad, with Windows 10 64bit, 8Gb Ram and AMD A10 7th Gen Graphics. Acer Swift i3 Laptop with Intel Optane memory, Intel 620UHD GPU, Windows 10 64bit.
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 17:21
Its not in my TGC product list yet.

I'm guessing it will be closer to a midnight release if it does come today.
Burgos
Years of Service
User Offline
I know what the next request will be:
"Please TGC, do not sell the GGM to anyone who does not demonstrate very skillful development capabilities, otherwise the community will think that GGM is a bad game engine" I recommend including a form on your website to fill out before buying GGM , with questions that must be answered to demonstrate your knowledge in texturing, 3D modeling, scripting, best practices, ... also with practical tests. The answer of each exam can be posted here and then the whole community could give the exam grade just to allow or not to that person reach the store page.
What do you think?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@Burgos
Form emailed ...
Dont forget to check your spam folder
J/K
PM
Burgos
Years of Service
User Offline
@synchromesh, you passed the exam, you can buy GGM, if you haven't already.

To be honest, the test result allows you to buy 2 additional licenses.
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 18:23
Another option is to have a pay to export system where you need to pay a one off fee to build a game.

That would make people think twice about selling rubbish on the stores.
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 18:34 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 18:35
Quote: "Another option is to have a pay to export system where you need to pay a one off fee to build a game.
That would make people think twice about selling rubbish on the stores."

it won't, most big stores already have a fee anyway.

i guess the answer is just wait and see how Max looks before we debate the standalone to death but from what i've seen so far i personally think it is too early to have a standalone that doesn't at least have some sort of forced "made with a beta release" disclaimer or something... there's really no reasonable reason or way anyone should be able to release a working and polished game in such a short time anyway... as anyone who has actually made a game will tell you, 90% of the game is made in 10% of the time, the last 10% takes 90% of the production time.
so the only real reason to include standalone building is for testing and sharing with friends etc.. they won't care about the disclaimers
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 21:57 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 23:29
Quote: "Another option is to have a pay to export system where you need to pay a one off fee to build a game."

No, no, and NO! I am not going to pay for a piece of software only to have to pay again to export out my work. Can you imagine if my 2D and 3D software made me pay to get the software initially, then pay to export out the stuff I create in them? I don't care that MAX was only $25 for me (at pre-release price) or if they were to charge only $1 for the export. No ... no ... just ... NO! You're coming up with solutions for what amounts to non-issues. And, once again, it's a solution that PENALIZES legitimately licensed users of GameGuru MAX. Stop. Just stop finding ways to make things more difficult for legal users of this software ... ways that hackers will easily find ways around and, once again, end up with a more convenient piece of software to use than legally licensed users.
Intel i9-10900K 5.10GHz, 64 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti 11GB, Windows 10 64-bit, dual monitor display
swift-au
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If I bought a few games made with engine A and found them clunky, buggy, and with poor graphics, I would be less inclined to buy any game made with engine A again."

Firstly, do you seriously buy games based on what engine they use, rather than on things like positive reviews from people, screenshots, promo and/or gameplay videos, etc?

Secondly, do you even know what engine a game uses before you buy it?
PM
Nomad Soul
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 22:50
New Max build is available now and its absolutely fantastic!

Get it now
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok remember when i said about over reacting. I think we are there ...
Starting to get profanity abbreviations now and we all know the rules on that one.
Nothing is decided yet and its unlikely to be any OTT suggestions.
Time to calm it down i think.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 23:28
Quote: "Ok remember when i said about over reacting. I think we are there ...
Starting to get profanity abbreviations now and we all know the rules on that one.
Nothing is decided yet and its unlikely to be any OTT suggestions.
Time to calm it down i think."

Hallelujah

Totally second that
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh. Actually, I was calm. But I did want to emphasize how much I disagreed with the idea of charging to simply export a stand-alone. In any case, I edited the post to remove the profanity abbreviations that were in my post. Didn't realize that profanity abbreviations would be so offensive when my intent was to emphasize disagreement. No worries.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 23:34 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 23:38
Everyone needs to chill and go play with new build
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2021 23:44 Edited at: 29th Jan 2021 23:49
... never mind. I'll just go chill out and play with Max ...
PixelF
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2021 01:21
The developers of Buildbox found a way to make their software impossible to pirate. Back in the early days of Buildbox, I used to pirate it for years since they were asking $2800 for their buggy mess of an engine. But since 2018ish, they did something that made it impossible to pirate and the engine is actually pretty good now. Buildbox was built by a very small team and they love interacting with the community. Perhaps Lee could gain some knowledge on how to make GameGuru uncrackable?
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2021 06:52
Quote: "Another option is to have a pay to export system where you need to pay a one off fee to build a game.
"
Yeah, with respect - no just NO!

When you build your game you will - or should have - made a plethora of stand-alone builds to test the game at every level of design. Like edit, compile, test - rinse repeat, countless times on every map in your game.

I really don't see where all of this security\policing ideology is coming from. If they implemented any of these security 'features' being bandied about lately, I would just go and use another tool.

People will make rubbish games with any engine - you can't stop that. I don't play a game, only to find it is rubbish, and then blame the Engine it was made with.

Just use the dev time to Make Max Great!

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
swift-au
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I really don't see where all of this security\policing ideology is coming from. If they implemented any of these security 'features' being bandied about lately, I would just go and use another tool.

People will make rubbish games with any engine - you can't stop that. I don't play a game, only to find it is rubbish, and then blame the Engine it was made with."

+1 Exactly what I was saying.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 30th Jan 2021 10:25
Quote: "The developers of Buildbox found a way to make their software impossible to pirate. Back in the early days of Buildbox, I used to pirate it for years since they were asking $2800 for their buggy mess of an engine."

Yeah that isn't cool to admit to piracy, whether in the past or future, and raises the question what else have you pirated, whether it is $2800 or $50000, TGC products and content ?
Win10 Pro 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
Fitz marc ade
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 30th Jan 2021 15:48
First of all I do not condone piracy. Secondary from what I have experienced with all the various copy protection and DRM that have been out over the last 20 years or so, is that it only works for a limited time before a crack group out there finds away around it. Also it tends to cause a lot of problems for those whom have purchased the genuine product, whether it slows down your PC or renders the game you bought useless due to problems with the DRM protection system.

The latest Denuvo anti-tamper system is proof that a software company can spend £1000,000's on this system and when the game or product is released, only for a crack group to release a crack in a matter of days or a month. There is no such thing as 100% working copy protection, anti- tamper or DRM protection system out there. Most companies like Ubisoft stopped using it as it caused more problems and reduced their sales. Therefore losing returning customers etc.

It is a little like having the most advanced security system on your house and if some thief wants in they will find a away to do so. It is a hard truth in life, that some people are dishonest and believe they should get things for free or like the thrill of getting caught.

I can be certain though anyone whom has not purchased any TGC products legally will end up on the Forums or in contact with TGC in some way in the future asking for help or support and be caught out. I have seen this in the past in the forum boards.
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
PixelF
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2021 19:14
Quote: " Yeah that isn't cool to admit to piracy, whether in the past or future, and raises the question what else have you pirated, whether it is $2800 or $50000, TGC products and content ?"

I’m not trying to sound cool and I agree piracy is not okay. I’m trying to make the point that Buildbox was successful in ending piracy for their software.

And no I never pirated TGC content or TGC user content.
Monkey Frog
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I’m trying to make the point that Buildbox was successful in ending piracy for their software."

Hate to break it to you, but no, they haven't been. There are cracked versions of the latest and greatest of Buildbox out there. v3.xx is currently available at several of the less savory parts of the web. So, nope. They have not been successful stopping piracy. And, no, I don't use pirated software (in case anyone is concerned).
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 30th Jan 2021 20:11
Quote: "I’m not trying to sound cool and I agree piracy is not okay. I’m trying to make the point that Buildbox was successful in ending piracy for their software."
What is to stop you from pirating a steam game, or other developer tools ? No one ever pirates just once, it is absurd to suggest otherwise.

It actually goes against the AUP as well.

But to put it blunt to others in this thread had a conversation with lee about this a few years back his stance on this has always been he is aware of the piracy it is not some thing you can stop, and he isn't willing to nerf his software for the sake of stopping piracy of TGC software. He hopes that they become future customers if they like the software enough, TGC philosophy is to price products in such a way that there shouldn't be a need to pirate. Lee does enough to deter it more then that really isn't needed or wanted by TGC. Since moving to steam things have actually improved FPSC piracy was rife that includes all the model packs.

So enough said about that.
Win10 Pro 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
PixelF
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2021 21:16
Quote: " Hate to break it to you, but no, they haven't been. There are cracked versions of the latest and greatest of Buildbox out there."

Yeah you’re probably right. It’s been a long time since I’ve checked for pirated versions of Buildbox, but now that I think about it, maybe the reason “newer” versions of Buildbox gone so long without being cracked is because there just weren’t enough people interested in cracking it. I think Buildbox is still relatively “unknown” in the game making business.

Quote: " What is to stop you from pirating a steam game, or other developer tools ? No one ever pirates just once, it is absurd to suggest otherwise."

Well to be honest, nothing is stopping me. Though, I think nowadays pirating has started to die down a bit in general. I also think it’s absurd to think anyone who is at least mildly adept at using the internet has never downloaded pirated content. I’m sure we were all guilty of that at one point.

But anyways, you’re both right. Pirating probably can’t be stopped and Lee’s stance on it is likely the most effective way to look at it.

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It actually goes against the AUP as well."

Which is pretty much where this thread has reached i think.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 05:48:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 05:48:39