Product Chat / [SOLVED] Standalone Game Crashes to Desktop Without Error Message PLEASE HELP!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am basically done with my game but I am running into an issue where I am playing my standalone game and it will crash at random times. The game closes and I am sent to my desktop. There is no error message. I have ensured all the files have been transferred when creating the standalone file. I put all my maps into the "mapbank" folder so nothing is misplaced. This one issue is preventing me from finishing this game and it is really frustrating. Please help!

The author of this post has marked a post as an answer.

Go to answer
PM
Kitakazi
Years of Service
User Offline
Well to tell you the truth a lot of people have issues when making a standalone game. I have had the same issue, complete crash at random times, although it should not be happening every single time you try to play. How often does this happen? Check and see if their is any constant to the crashes. Is a certain script running everytime it crashes? Does it only crash when you go to shoot your weapon? Is there a certain enemy or entity on the map that is present in each of the crashes? What stock scripts have you edited? Check all those things first.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2020 01:23 Edited at: 18th Nov 2020 01:24
Whats in your game? Are there a lot of enemy NPC's running around? How much of the map do you have covered with assets?
Store Assets - Store Link
Free Assets - Resource Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2020 03:11 Edited at: 18th Nov 2020 03:12
No doubt you are following good dev practice and doing regular backups, and stand-alone builds

So on which of your build versions did it start crashing. Maybe go back to a previous build that worked ok in stand-alone. That would at least give you an idea of what you added\changed that may have broken it.

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
C.J. Cuypers
Years of Service
User Offline
The idea of my game is it is one room and the player must solve puzzles to continue. Each room is the same but every time you advance the room or puzzle changes slightly. The majority of the room structure is made with the EBE and then I have "room/apartment" type entitles around the area. I cant pinpoint a consistent place it crashes. It will crash on the 2nd level, then it will crash on the 6th or 10th level. It even will crash when I try to save the game too many times. It will crash for every different build I try to make. I'm not sure if its because I have a lot of maps in this one game. I have a total of 24 maps that are in the build.

I have the game here if you guys would like to play it and see if it crashes for you.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BXUMlD2isAJf36A8PyxjnUz8kWsHadNz/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the help!
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2020 09:35
@C.J. Cuypers
I usually avoid rar files, but I downloaded the file to test it for you. I found a free rar file app that I put on to unpack the file, but it says it is either corrupted or requires a password. Tried the download twice - but same result.

Sorry I can't test for you

OldFlak....
System Specs
i7-9700K 3.60GHz. ASUS NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 32GB Themaltake ToughRam Z-ONE 3600.
Main Screen: HP 27" @1920x1080 - Screens 2\3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider
aka Reliquia
PM
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2020 09:43 Edited at: 19th Nov 2020 09:56
Greetings,
I often only do testing if being paid. though since your new and the size of the download had me intrigued. I thought I would inform yourself I took a look.

First, went straight to your .fpms and they are way too large for this platform. Sadly this is not mainly your fault.
*based on the sizes of files and sizes of maps, you've possibly stacked your texture memory with changes to ebe without notice, than doing prior texture memory setup.

Second, using a system to load into levels as you have is not always an option and level loading should be used with consideration.
*loading can use .1 memory (loading bar) unless doing dumps (im not sure if you are carrying over stats) though your wasting .3 just from the first couple of levels on the readouts

Third, after the key collection level, the meters are high on 32bit memory cap from loading these higher fpms. Please make sure you have no other 32bit apps running, such as chrome if wanting to exceed. though level 5 I was getting lockups/return to desktop in random locations. tested three times based on reaching an undesired memory usage.

Please remember GGC needs 0.3/0.4 for initial load, and every load unless key optimize will stack 0.1 doesn't leave enough memory for these large .fpm file sizes. I suggest do some research on correct EBE handling, have levels contain more than one section of your game, as this game most likely will need to be rebuilt as stacked texture data can not be removed from a saved gg .fpm.

I did like the room with the kitchen, and wish your GGC dev all the best. Thank you.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I also tried it and it locked up for me but cannot work out for the life of me WHY the levels are so big or even need to be.
Also lots of old FPSC imports being used which to be honest seems more likely to cause issues than anything else.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
C.J. Cuypers
Years of Service
User Offline
This post has been marked by the post author as the answer.
Thank you all for looking and testing this for me. Very unfortunate that my idea is breaking the engine. I guess I know have to figure out what to do from here. Thanks again.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Thank you all for looking and testing this for me. Very unfortunate that my idea is breaking the engine. I guess I know have to figure out what to do from here. Thanks again. "

Do all the levels need to be that big ?
The first kitchen does not warrant being 160 meg.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
"have to figure out what to do from here"

Maybe learn how to shrink textures in your graphics tool (paint.net is free)

It might lessen the visual looks a bit, but if you are wanting more speed,
and in fact save your project (hopefully), then just test them out at 1/2 size,
wherever you see anything over 1024x, put them to that, or even 512.
Because running a little blurred is better than no running at all- yes?
BACKUP ALL ASSETS FIRST.
PM
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2020 23:16 Edited at: 21st Nov 2020 23:19
@C.J. Cuypers

Hi there, was not planning to re-reply here, however after reading above. Your Game idea is fine, and will work.

With out pre planning on design, this seems to be a combination of user and engine fault.
There is nothing wrong with using fpsc models, lower poly is a good choice in a 32bit environment, used for many years.
However did you update all fpe's for this media to be used? Double checking texture formats and script directories?
Your level sizes are large in data from Texture data stacking in memory, as soon as you hit save, this stored data will save to your fpm.

Please feel free to DM and I can educate you further on how to have this running, with no changes to the projects looks at its current stage. Can not guarantee you will get the 20 levels before hitting the next ggc memory cap, though if your invested worth a try right. Yes this will need to be rebuilt, as I mentioned in my first post, texture data stacking is irreversible.
Also yes 512 suggestion from the user above is a good option if wanting to squeeze out some more room, though I do not believe texture size is the problem here.

Also if your not comfortable with DM, let me know and I can arrange a run down here of pre planning/setup using ggc. All the best

@synchromesh, I've noticed some of your replys over the years (inc steam), where I believe you try to assist where possible, great. I suggest using that time to do some research on ggc workings and faults and help educate users, especially on engine faults and memory limitations, Its an interesting topic and I would hope, someone like yourself to be an advocate for.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-27 21:17:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-27 21:17:32