Product Chat / GameGuru MAX Live - Broadcast #20 Answers

Author
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2020 17:05 Edited at: 11th Nov 2020 17:08
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who attended the live broadcast this Wednesday, and here is the recording for those who could not make it:

Also happy to have answered some of your questions during the live chat, and as promised here are all the answers in order:

Q> ​Will characters created in Classic's Character Creator import into Max?
A> You will not be able to import characters created with the Classic version of the Character Creator, as they have been entirely replaced with the new and improved Character Creator for MAX, which offers additional features such as better animations, lipsync and higher quality geometry and textures.

Q> ​Coloured themes are nice but default Grey looks more Pro on startup?
A> Yes it is likely we will opt for a grey style to match the expectations from other creation tools, but we have a few ideas on how we can pep it up to give it a splash of cool color queues, though still in the design stage at the moment.

Q> When can we expect the beta 4?
A> There are no confirmed dates for the release of the next build, instead, we are working on an auto-updater for the next installer which will remove the need for installers after that last one and improve the process of getting new builds to you.

Q> I'm getting an 8003 Error followed by "Path Cannot be Found" error. cant launch GG MAX. any idea how to fix?
A> Best place to post errors from MAX is the GameGuru thread that covers reported issues, as there are some answers already for solutions and it means if I am also provided with the link, I can answer directly and everyone in the forum benefits.

Q> ​If I import an old level into Max, if it has a lot of custom characters, it's kind of messed up then?
A> The level will not be messed up, but your character creator characters will not be there. In this case you would use the new character creator to recreate those characters, which then have the benefit of proper lipsync, text to speech, and higher quality.

Q> Can we please have Ctrl-S for a save shortcut?
A> We already have the CTRL+S keyboard shortcut for quickly saving your level.

Q> How many "Undo's " will we have?
A> We are planning 10, but this is an early guess before any actual code has been considered. It will depend a little on the storage requirements of an undo/redo system that has to track quite large changes to your level.

Q> Is it too late to buy and have instant access to the beta?
A> You can pre-order GameGuru MAX at any time, which affords you access to any builds we release running up to release. Be aware however that we have an open release date which means you will not know when the release date will be until we are much closer to completion.

Q> What vr headset work with gameguru max?
A> We have based our VR technology on OpenXR which currently supports Windows Mixed Reality, Oculus Rift S and Quest (via Link), and potential support for Steam Index and HTC Vive, though they are still working on their own OpenXR support right now.

Q> Can gg max support dlss?
A> GameGuru MAX will not be supporting NVIDIA Deep Learning technology at this time. We do have an eye on real-time ray tracing and the advanced methods of rendering modern games, but we wanted to support older graphics cards, and many of them perform poorly or not at all when asked to do real-time ray tracing rendering. DLSS is not on our radar at the moment, but if the adoption of this technology is high, and we opt to do another major graphics engine upgrade, it is likely the request will come from many parts of the GameGuru community when the time comes.

Q> ​What is the maximum resolution (size) of the terrain map?
A> There is no forced maximum size of the multi-node terrain, though we may impose a memory / storage limit when we have finished our tests. The bottom line is that are not offering a fixed terrain map size this time, you will be able to expand it to suit your needs.

Q> Does it autosave and recover a level when it crashes?
A> There are no plans for an autosave system for MAX and we do have a method for restoring your level if you crash, but only back to the point when you last clicked the TEST GAME button.

Q> What about import custom character model into gg max?
A> You will be able to import any 3D model of the formats supported into MAX through the Import Model feature, including characters you find on asset stores. The functionality of that characters entirely depends on what the original artist included, and so will not necessarily have the same capabilities of characters created with the built-in character creator system for MAX.

Q> The assets of the previous engine (gameguru classic), can they be used in gameguru max?
A> Yes you can copy most entity file groups over manually for use in MAX, or you can use a new feature which can load an FPM level file from the Classic installation and it will automatically copy over all the assets from the Classic installation into MAX so the level can be loaded.
GameGuru Classic will continue to be supported with bug fixes and functionality additions.

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2020 17:45
Quote: "or you can use a new feature which can load an FPM level file from the Classic installation and it will automatically copy over all the assets from the Classic installation into MAX so the level can be loaded."

Cool! anyway, I wonder it GGMax is going to handle multi-texture meshes in the correct way since right now I'm just getting GGMax painting my multi-texture mesh with one texture, and ignoring the other ones. for example a building with one texture for the walls, other for the stairs, other for the floor, and other for the roof, but the whole building end up painted with the wall texture (bricks), and yes I've made the PBR textures plus the surface textures, and use the texture tool just give you the chance to apply one texture, so it is not an option.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Burgos
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi @Lee, sorry I can not follow your broadcast but I posted a question in the forum I would like to know:
From now in GG Classic it is possible to inport a custom model in T-pose and GG provide him the CGI animations and the ragdoll feature. Is it going to be the same in GGMax? For now I couldn´t see that in the last release.

Thanks in advance
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Fun broadcast! But I am happy with a b&w or 8-bit UI if it means directing more energy to the important stuff. At this early stage, I mean.
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
Cobbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Is what you're hinting at ('back to game project') scenes? Or the idea that a game is a project, and within that project are levels/scenes - which is how other game engines work (at the project level, not just at the scene level).

Am I right?
PM
Rector
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2020 12:58
Quick question regarding the beta builds?

Is it worth starting a project on a beta or should we wait for the full release?
Processor i9-9900k CPU@ 3.60GHZ
Ram 32GB
Windows 10 64bit
GeForce RTX 2060
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is it worth starting a project on a beta or should we wait for the full release?"

Not recommended right now to be honest in fact your better off starting the basics In GameGuru and importing it all when Max is more complete
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Rector
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2020 16:45
Cheers for that
Processor i9-9900k CPU@ 3.60GHZ
Ram 32GB
Windows 10 64bit
GeForce RTX 2060
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2020 21:42 Edited at: 27th Nov 2020 21:55
Sorry I missed this week's broadcast but I watched it on YouTube and have some questions:

1. Will the player get his Scouts Swimming Badge this time?

2. Will snow and rain hit the camera lens and trickle down?

3. Will the day/night cycle traverse the levels (or maps) of a game?

4. Is there no end to your awesomeness?!

5. Can we expect the much-needed Event Manager (which presumably will heavily embrace Lua, allowing non-coders to create non=GameGuruesque games)?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Will snow and rain hit the camera lens and trickle down?"

Why .. Do you wander around outside in the rain in real life with a piece of Glass held up in front of your face
j\k
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
1. "Will the player get his Scouts Swimming Badge this time?"
Sure, this has been near #1 request for a while.

Someone posted a swimming script @ gameplayercontrol.lua script just a
week or so ago on these forums. Miss it?
Maybe it's not pretty or how everyone wants it-- but the scripter made it do
what they wanted @ experiment with! Goes to show that a game engine
developer cannot anticipate or fulfill everyone's exact wishes all the time.
But if you simply missed that post, go check it out, be sure to backup your
original gameplayercontrol.lua first. Personally - I'd use it.
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool. Thanks.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2020 12:20
imagine virtual swimming under water with sharks in the water and your looking about and gtox's G.white comes for you, that would be very VR playable, like Depth but this engine has soooo much potential if they get the world and physics right the possibilities are endless, there is a game just from having underwater swimming. imagine what other games like boat racing rafting etc etc. i have never understood how fxaa e.b.e and even multiplayer came above a game changing feature?
you saw what bod was doing with vehicles. same can be done with water...... so i think the world environment is and always was paramount to the engine. above UI and above EBE and is such a valuable addition and essential to a world.... so i think under water and on water is very very important
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Cobbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2020 19:31 Edited at: 30th Nov 2020 19:33
I'm still under the impression that GG isn't about other people building the elements of your game, and then you enabling them and 'poof' there's your finished game. Expecting TGC to program everything for us seems like asking a bit much, especially since this is a royalty free engine and we're supposed to be doing what we can with it.

All that stuff above is what game developers build for their games (Gameplay, creatures, animations, etc). GG is an engine, not a level editor, so developers are supposed to make things like underwater sharks or swimming and vehicles (etc) if they want their game to have them.

Modern engines have lots built-in, but someone is developing these bits. If it's not you, it's someone else.

The focus should be on finding the engine that lets you make what you want to make, rather than the engine that lets you use what others have made.
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2020 20:41 Edited at: 1st Dec 2020 11:27
Quote: "ll that stuff above is what game developers build for their games (Gameplay, creatures, animations, etc). GG is an engine, not a level editor, so developers are supposed to make things like underwater sharks or swimming and vehicles (etc) if they want their game to have them.

Modern engines have lots built-in, but someone is developing these bits. If it's not you, it's someone else.

The focus should be on finding the engine that lets you make what you want to make, rather than the engine that lets you use what others have made."

i see so are you saying that you don't need and will not be using character creator the terrain editor and its terrain, level designer and you don't need to buy anything from the store or use the EBE editor as well as any other extras that come with max?
you just want the engine only right?
But wait, that's not been written by you its someone else's work so do you want the engine?
well i will be impressed when i see a WIP from you with no terrain use your own skybox and no tree packs or DLC, no bought characters and nothing but your own creations. If you do this i personally will be very impressed and i will be the first to give you compliments and apologies if i came across a little Sceptical.
i was under the impression that game max was a complete engine for beginners to intermediate to advanced.
not everyone is good at everything maybe you are if so why are you here using game-guru? AGK has what you ask and unity and many others. lee was already doing terrain and many functions and is making many DLC packs which accompany the engine i take it you don't want them either then?

in the end Cobbs i'm not here to bicker with anyone. i believe that game guru gives the users of game guru templates to create their own versions like hud's and quests and many other things to create adapt and think outside the box. there is a swimming script but i was thinking about VR swimming, and i don't have VR but lee has it working and i was actually wondering if he had thought of this and so i was attempting to inspire him i don't have VR and do not intend getting it any time soon, however many do and i am sure this would be a fantastic addition. i agree to an extent where does it all end, but some people just like to create with friends some for hobbies some serious, there are many reasons to this, if you think i only use what is given think again go check my work in progress i stopped a while ago twin worlds mostly my own creations and it has animated items and many original products. but i will use others work if i feel it would better my project and i don't mind asking for help and there are many generous people on the boards.
this is not a go this is another perspective and my view as yours is yours.
peace to all
SB
just a few pics of my own work
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2020 08:12
wow the monster looks outstanding
PM
Cobbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2020 20:07 Edited at: 1st Dec 2020 20:11
I was saying it's a good idea to treat GG as an engine you have to work at and build what's missing in. It's not going to have a store any time soon that can fill every game development gaps the way unreal and unity do. I don't think I said anything controversial.

I'm not going to complain about GG lacking multi-genre plug-in possibilities. That's not what it is, and I don't want to complain in circles.

I bought GG Max and I'll be happy if what's advertised works and is stable to build games on. If people have ideas about TGC making a multi-genre game engine, maybe focus on AGK and the programmers that work on that open ended engine product. GG topics should be focused on what GG is and not constantly be about complaining about TGC not making GG an unreal/unity copy.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-26 20:07:27
Your offset time is: 2024-05-26 20:07:27