Product Chat / Gameguru Max No Third Person???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2020 17:34 Edited at: 31st Oct 2020 22:25

---------------------------------------------------------
LEE:
There are no plans to support third-person gaming in GameGuru MAX. We did dabble in third person for GameGuru Classic but it was clear from the community feedback that it needed a lot of work, and could probably have justified a whole new product just to focus on that genre. In order to ensure that MAX really hits the mark, we have decided to focus on the first-person genre and make sure we do that well. You will still be able tp use GameGuru Classic to create and script basic third person games.
----------------------------------------------------------
Anders_Dreth
Years of Service
User Offline
I think (I hope) this just means they haven't worked on implementing proper third person support; but that it's still something the community can work on with their own scripting. There were some attempts at least concerning third person, but since the core functionality wasn't there, it never really reached the point where you could call it functional third person yet. Hopefully we can still apply a third person script from Classic and have it show up just the same, janky but third person.

Otherwise this is deeply discouraging news, and I hope their point of view changes with feedback.
PM
Nevin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2020 11:40
I agree 100%
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
" Hopefully we can still apply a third person script from Classic". Don't think so, not if it uses the third person controls at all. I think Lee means if you really want 3rd person you can code it yourself. Only good thing is if they remake it it may be a little more useful than it is at present. Simple things like say, hiding your cursor at times at the moment is impossible without scrapping their stuff and starting over. But I wouldn't expect any movement for quite some time on this. lee has made it very clear over the last few months that 3rd person is removed in Max.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
Cobbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Yup i think its that they dont want to build an unfinished feature that could make their tool seem unfinished or amateurish. Users who want to buipd it hopefully still can but any attempts this time around are not TGCs responsibility to polish. Haha
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2020 16:28 Edited at: 4th Nov 2020 16:30
Quote: "Don't think so"

Ye that wont work as i think the " Drag Character to Starter mark " is hard coded in GG and if its not in Max which it currently is not then Im not even sure its possible to manually script anything third person. As much as i love messing with isometric style if they get everything else spot on i can do without it ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2020 16:50
I don't think it's a resounding no, I think they first want to get a first-person by working as expected and then go on to work in a third-person system.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
DC to SM is hard coded...
Anyone thought of trying to see what happened if you manually
set third person control trigger to on in GamePlayerControl.lua?

I guess the problem is what character to use-- to get activated?
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2020 17:01
If a third-person system is not yet implemented, there is not anything you can do via script.
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2020 00:49 Edited at: 30th Nov 2020 15:34
It shouldn't be too hard to recreate from scratch in Lua. All the commands are there for this. You got commands for overriding the camera and making a character entity move. So its certainly something that will be possible in Max with a bit of a scripting and a lot of trial and error. We also have raycasting support so you can have your character predetermine a collision without getting shot up in to the air due to any odd Bullet physics behaviors when forcing forward on an irregular shaped collision model.
Store Assets - Store Link
Free Assets - Resource Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
Rightly so. Any flying or driving script is basically third person.
My first GG lua script was a I,J,K,L moving a SquareBox X, Z.
The "pong" of third person character- and maybe even
SpongeBob would be jealous! ++ no animation required!

PM
Nevin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2020 20:47
I really feel like they went backwards here. Making it look better, but then limiting them selfs to fps games.

ill still buy it to play around.. Drop some ai and pew pew

Conjured Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2020 22:49 Edited at: 7th Nov 2020 23:16
No Third Person?

COOL!

That gives me something to work on to learn LUA.

Quote: "All the commands are there however for this. You got commands for overriding the camera and making a character entity move. So its certainly something that will be possible in Max with a bit of a scripting and a lot of trial and error. We also have raycasting support so you can have your character per-determine a collision without getting shot up in to the air due to any odd Bullet physics behaviors when forcing forward on an irregular shaped collision model."

COOL!

I was playing around with what I called "Puppet Scripts" back in the day with FPSC to control characters.
Didn't get far with LUA in FPSC Reloaded before my old computer got to be unbearably slow because of its low specs.
Excited to give the Game-Guru a try though, so looking forward to diving into LUA head first in the deep end.
Just did the 4+ gig download at Steam, and will be playing around with finishing that old game title I was working on forever in FPSC as long as I can find the thumb drive that has the old backups.
Will totally need to redo all scripts and the custom models, but anxious to push the limits on the new capabilities, and thinking of GG MAX is even more exciting, although I may wait a bit to do that upgrade.
Have always wanted to do some driving games using this development tool, and am hoping to get that done at some point in the near future.
I want to focus on all the things I can do with this amazing software, instead of what I can't do, but the scripting challenges to take it to customized craziness is a good thing.

GG RIG...
i7 - 9750H - 12 CPUs
16gb RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1650
THX Spatial Audio
Windblows 10
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2020 23:00
That's what I like to see, optimism.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Nevin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2020 01:49
Depends on whats hard coded. If its locked in first person we cant play around with it.
GubbyBlips
Years of Service
User Offline
@Nevin
"Depends on whats hard coded. If its locked in first person we cant play around with it. "
We can certainly play around with it. But it's not stock, even though I think I heard Lee
touch on TP as future goal. Yes, certain things are hard coded, and those things are
pretty frustrating-- example TEXT. But a work- around would be "text" via particles.
?? on particle text with MAX...?
Or like most engines, text via your own sprite artwork.
Still, more text and certain other features would be great- I hear ya!

As I mentioned, a person if they had some ambition could go through the GG jr
GamePlayerControl.lua, find the third person bits of it, and assign a remodeled
script to any character. And poof, by "playing around with it", you would have 3rd
person game! It's all in there, just not STOCK tool as activated- apparently.
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2020 12:04 Edited at: 9th Nov 2020 12:04
Thinking about it I am Pretty sure T-Bone managed a good isometric style prototype using LUA only so it must be possible to manipulate a 3rd person view without use of dragging to the start marker.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Thinking about it I am Pretty sure T-Bone managed a good isometric style prototype using LUA only so it must be possible to manipulate a 3rd person view without use of dragging to the start marker."

it is but the AI firing is set up to only fire at the camera (or the "real" third person) so you would have to fake all of that as well if you wanted it
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Nevin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2020 19:34
This is good for me. as long as we have the option to script 3rd person in some way im happy.

seeing all the new features Max has is vary exciting so when i seen they might not have 3rd person i was bumed.
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2020 06:09 Edited at: 15th Nov 2020 06:11
Was reading on the Fortnite ADS update/patch, and thought I would take a look today, 45mins on GGC, now out the door. Cheers.
Transcode / 48mb - 1080p HD option.

PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2020 11:22
Looks great Defy

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce RTX™ 2070 GAMING OC 8G
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
3840 x 2160 ,60 Hz
PM
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2020 12:56
Quote: "I really feel like they went backwards here. Making it look better, but then limiting them selfs to fps games."

Nevin i think they are doing this right. they got overwhelmed with FPS, multi player, 3rd person, new updated engine x11, EBE took a year and that was not even an engine requirement which to my knowledge was not used that much but everyone wanted this.. speed and low ends complaining too low frame rate and then it went low end optimizing for a year, making gg less of an engine for ages until all the options were brought in which all took another year. it was a complete war on development and was not helped by everyone shouting their wants and wishes, multi player tantrums, laptop gamer tantrums, even i moaned at one point as did 99 percent of GG users, TGC tried to deal with it all but there simply was too much to do to please everyone. they ran out of money as they sold it cheap and our funding went quickly probably after 2 years. then it was one person. so they then looked to advancing, i think this was a low of TGC but needs must i guess. used the gg engine to build a working VR for a company and spent a year on it kept quiet and then told everyone they built a company a VR world on GG and that we were gonna get a new option to get a better GG as in Maxx... i have bought maxx and this is my last shot with TGC as i have followed for many years and supported, but Twin worlds has been scrapped lots. so a last role of the dice. and i would actually for once like to see TGC do this right without them doing too much for everyone. and so i would also like to see everyone accept what they are doing suggest away and throw some creative fluids for them. this time i think, one step one style, sort then add new.
and i totally get what they are doing. and i hope they dont listen to our now demands, i think they are behind but i want this right, they have a world to build and they need to sort that out and the engine with a fully functioning world environment with good FPS. if they get that sorted then i am sure the rest will be very quick indeed. to focus on one thing will benefit all.

peace to all
SB
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-26 18:01:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-26 18:01:18