Work In Progress / My project "Magnetic"

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2020 02:26
Hello! Tell us about yourself. I am Mikhail and I am from Russia. At the moment, I'm the one making an indie game. My project has been under development since June 9, 2020. I first started to create a game and for me this is a great first experience. Now I'm developing on GameGuru, but later I plan to transfer all files to GameGuru Max. At the end of August, my first alpha test.
And now a short description: An adventure thriller with survival horror elements. The game, which takes place in the middle of the XXII century, where the main character Smith is an experienced soldier who was entrusted with a responsible task to find a scientist who has a vaccine to save humanity from an epidemic.
Undoubtedly, among you there are experienced people with vast knowledge in scripts, Photoshop, lvl design, and so on. Dear friends, please, I look forward to your criticism in the near future. And please, I'm gaining experience!

The game is still in development. Screenshots are attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2020 16:28
Hello and welcome to the community!

I assume this is your first game? Well, space adventure is definitely a cool genre with lots of possibilities.

As far as your screenshots go, there is a lot you can improve.

The first screenshot just seems to be a bunch of scifi pack stuff thrown into the level editor. There is no rhyme or reason to any of it and it looks extremely non-sensical. You can start by actually making some terrain. Here is a basic tutorial to make some relatively okay looking topography.
What is particularly bad about is, is that long row of rocks that form some sort of path, I'd really remove that entirely. Try to add some terrain structure to make this temple look less out of place and don't scatter random space props around on a flat terrain.

Now that first interior screenshot has the same problem, random assets scattered around. Here are som pointers:
1. The ceiling texture is really bad, I'd use something else entirely.
2. These incredibly 90s looking gas station bathroom stalls and toilets really don't belong into space You can start editing your props texture to give things your own style and look using free tools like gimp or paint.net. (photoshop and paint shop are paid alternatives).
3. Same with these old ceiling fans and that neon tube on the floor.
4. There seem to be random barrels and crates in the bathroom.
Again, same with the first screenshot, it does not look like a level, so far it looks like random props that you dragged and dropped into the map. If you approach a level with a certain idea of what it is supposed to look like, and then make sure you acquire or use the correct assets for that, you can avoid this dismal visual quality.
Also, if you want your interiors to look less undefined, you can try lightmapping.

Mishahhi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2020 17:46
Good day, dear friend.

Unfortunately, I do not know your name, and I beg your pardon for calling me "friend." Undoubtedly, you are right in everything, and you know much more than me. I am also very grateful to you for providing a good video tutorial on how to create a mountain. Thanks a lot for your criticism! Undoubtedly, random textures / models does not fit my project at all, I really don't like it myself. I thought about it ... but! To you, I bow to you and thank you very much! I will definitely use your advice and teaching. For me it is an incredible huge and interesting experience to study everything new, or forgotten old. Unfortunately, there are no relatives among friends and, in general, the neighborhoods of the city and cities who can or know something in game development. Can you still help? Indeed, square rooms are rather very bad and not beautiful, what programs can be to make models like in the pictures.

Please write me your answer here: mikhail_vybornov@mail.ru , I will find out faster than here.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Mishahhi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2020 14:35
The work is slowly progressing! Fixed significant issues, and also changed a huge number of bugs and made good optimizations for the alpha.
Thanks again to dear Wolf for the material provided and attention to objects!
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2020 21:19
Congratulations on the improvements! Best luck with it further
Mishahhi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2020 16:19
Hello! I came across a very interesting moment in the game, but I am very weak in this. How can I fix this function so that health only grows up to 100, and does not reach infinite reserves. Please, if possible, describe or better send a video how to deal with this problem for me!
Mishahhi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2020 09:11
Hi everyone! And it's me again. My project is almost finished. I'll schedule a beta test soon. The project is still under development.
Mishahhi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2020 16:48
Hello! And it's me again. The beta test will be on the way. I want to warn you that I tried my best at my 0 knowledge level. I mostly tried myself as a game designer. I ask you to forgive me in advance if I did something wrong without the knowledge of permission. Dear users and main characters of this forum, I made a game using your models and made my project out of it. I had to spend six months developing the game, but it could have been better if not for my main job at a factory for a small salary. Can I use your models that are available on this forum and use my game as a commercial product?
I used models from the coolest modelers:
1. Wolk
2. Cosmic Prophet
3. JPH-GAMES
4. Teabone
5. Mav3rlck1981
6. Honkeyboy
7. SuperClark

And also used some scripts from the most incredible coders:
1. Smallg
2. Medmatheus

As soon as I'm finished with my weak project, I'll post it here for you to appreciate. True, I really tried to make a cool project. And I also want to thank you all in advance for being there and helping all newbies, including me.
Sorry for my English. I am very weak in it. Here's an interesting title with a funny design and a trailer for my project. Thank you all again!

See you soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7GsmyHI-GE

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 23:32:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 23:32:17