Work In Progress / Ignite (Working Title)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2019 21:18 Edited at: 21st Apr 2019 21:22

Developer: Avenging Eagle / AKA Tanner Productions

Background:
This game takes its inspiration from Francisco de Goya's 1798 painting "The Forcibly Bewitched", which can be found hanging in the National Gallery in London.

I first encountered this painting in 2011 when I visited the gallery on an inspiration-gathering trip as part of my Film Production degree. My coursemates are I were asked to find paintings that inspired us and come up with film ideas based on them. Several of us liked de Goya's moody oil painting, but none of us ending up pitching it! That painting has always stuck with me though. It depicts a scene from a 17th century play El Hechizado Por Fuerza (Eng: The Man Bewitched By Force) in which the protagonist, Don Claudio, believes his life depends on keeping a lamp alight.

Fast-forward to 2019. I'm looking for inspiration for a new project, be it a film, a game, anything. I remember "The Forcibly Bewitched". Suddenly it hits me; an idea for a Game Guru game. No shooting, no expansive open worlds, perhaps no enemies at all. Instead, a simple gameplay loop; keep the flame alive, or you die, all the while an impending sense of dread builds. I open Game Guru on one screen, Notepad++ on the other, and begin typing...

Screenshot: (which is kinda rubbish but is mandatory for a WIP thread)

I've been tinkering away for two weeks and have the core functionality down now. I'm still refining story ideas, but broadly speaking the game will be an atmospheric horror puzzle/platformer. Each stage will give the player a choice of three light sources, each with their own pros and cons, and it will be up to the player to decide which light they use. Do you pick the torch, which burns brightly but quickly? Or do you pick the oil lamp, which doesn't light as far but will last longer and is less weight? Or perhaps the lantern? It's heavy but can't be extinguished by water.

So far I've been experimenting with a very basic test level which has allowed me to develop this proof-of-concept, below. But now it's time to time to start working on actual levels and media.

Video: (Sound up, it's very quiet!)

Everything about this project is very freeform at the moment. The name might change, the style might change, the story might change, the light characteristics will almost certainly change. But I'm going to attempt to release fairly regular builds here to get feedback. Be sure to check back here to see the latest updates.

AE
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 21st Apr 2019 22:06
Avenging Eagle , wow this is supper creepy awesome, i like it , but i don't think this is for the faint hearted, if you get scared easily then this will have you rais some hair on your neck. lol , cool , you have done a very nice intro video, cant wait to see what is next. very nice.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2019 17:09
Interesing, its something like "thief:the dark project"?I loved the sieries.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2019 17:09 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2019 23:59
I take it this means you cancelled Extraction Point?

Well, it all looks rather early but your concept is great. I can not stress enough how intrigued I am when someone else gets inspiration from something other than video games. I am thorougly dissappointed with the amount of people in the indie scene that just copy other, already existing games.

Godspeed with the development though.

-Wolf
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 22nd Apr 2019 21:16
Looks like a great start, and like Wolf says it's great to see the inspiration and starting point as a baseline for the evolution of the game (and it's interesting too).

It so far does make me think of 'The Dark Mod', just from the initial video, though I gather the game-play is something entirely different.

I really wish we had dynamic light shadows for those wall lights and player lantern

Cheers.
Mrs Baird
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2019 06:48
Excellent idea! /.-)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 4 x CORES / FPUs @3900 MHz - NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti [2 GB] passive cooled - 16GB DDR 3 SDRAM - Win 10 Pro [64 Bit] - Audiosystem: Marian Marc Seraph AD2 - 2 x UAD-2 DSPs
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2019 23:43 Edited at: 25th Apr 2019 23:46
PCS wrote: "Avenging Eagle , wow this is supper creepy awesome, i like it , but i don't think this is for the faint hearted, if you get scared easily then this will have you rais some hair on your neck."

Thanks PCS, it's certainly intended to be creepy!

osiem80 wrote: "Interesing, its something like "thief:the dark project"?I"

Kind of, although sort of the opposite. That game was all about sticking to the shadows, whereas this one will be all about clinging to the light haha!

Wolf wrote: "I take it this means you cancelled Extraction Point?"

No, not cancelled, more...postponed? Initially, I held off on continuing doing more because of Game Guru's lighting engine. I have actually done some work to Extraction Point since releasing the one level demo, refining level 1 a bit, and work on the previously-unreleased level 2. Maybe I should do an update in that thread soon...

Wolf wrote: "I can not stress enough how intrigued I am when someone else gets inspiration from something other than video games. I am thorougly dissappointed with the amount of people in the indie scene that just copy other, already existing games."

I hear you - it's always best to draw inspiration from a range of other media, be it films, books, pictures, music, even architecture. It's fine to pay homage to your inspirations but not to the point of totally trying to copy them or rip them off. We live in a post-modern world, nothing is ever really new, so the artistry comes in your choice of references and how you assemble them. Anyway, that's enough pretentious art theory from me! (Didn't we already do this in another thread recently!? haha)

cybernescence wrote: "I really wish we had dynamic light shadows for those wall lights and player lantern"

You and me both - I've been wanting that for years! If Game Guru ever gets them, I will be so happy! Until then, I'd sell one of my kidneys to get a lighting engine fast-tracked.

Mrs Baird wrote: "Excellent idea! /.-)"

Thanks Mrs Baird!

- - - - - - - - - -

MINOR UPDATE
I've continued to tinker away on the core functionality this week. Death is now a thing, so there's a penalty for letting your fire die out, and respawning now resets the state of your light source (which it didn't before). I've been using a dummy torch for testing, always with the intention of replacing it with something better later on. I was going to model a flaming torch, but then I saw one on Turbosquid and thought, what the hell. I've now got a static version in Game Guru, which I intend to animate later.

Right now, my biggest conundrum is how on Earth I get this torch to be alight. I want to use the newly-added particle code to achieve this, because it might mean I can have the flame flicker and decrease in intensity as it burns out. But I have no idea how to do this. I can't even parent a particle emitter to a moving entity yet, so I'd appreciate any tips. The other option could be to do the flame through some sort of animated texture, but I don't think this will offer me the control I need when it comes to having the flame gradually fade to red and die out.

I can see me creating a thread over in the script board before this week is out because I have many questions

AE
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2019 02:19 Edited at: 26th Apr 2019 02:20
Couldn't fault it as a proof of concept . Looks brilliant and oozes with atmosphere .. Considering GG's lighting system thats really great work and i could wander round there for hours. When i started Protascope my attitude was to ignore what GG wasnt very good at and stick with what it does do well. So far so good … Could be your on the same track with this one ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2019 09:53
This is looking very good
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2019 20:22
synchromesh wrote: "Couldn't fault it as a proof of concept . Looks brilliant and oozes with atmosphere"

That's great to hear - I'm definitely trying to make it atmospheric

Teabone wrote: "This is looking very good"

Thanks Teabone!

- - - - - - - - - -

I hesitate to even call this an update but today I made a thread over in the Scripts board to try and find a solution to my flaming torch problem. I'm sure there will probably be other headaches that need solving, and that thread is where I'll be asking for help. Check it out if you're interested: https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/220728

I also made an updated gameplay video showing off all the basic functionalities I've got working already, which include:
Three light sources, each with different behaviours (actual weapons shown are placeholders atm).
Movement penalties based on light choice.
Death, respawning, and resetting of light source attributes.
Safezones.

AE
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2019 00:04
Wow! This looks great!

I love the atmosphere, nice and scary.

Great work you are doing, Avenging Eagle.
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2019 19:32 Edited at: 6th May 2019 19:33
Quote: "Wow! This looks great!

I love the atmosphere, nice and scary. "

Thanks Solar! I really want to create a tense atmosphere with this one!

- - - - - - - - - -

For those of you not following my progress in the script help thread, I'm still working on the light sources. Having more or less sorted out the flaming torch, I'm now having fun and games trying to make a candle with dynamic fire. This is one of the three light sources the player can choose to use to complete a level. For a time, I was going to use a small oil lamp instead but I didn't want it to look like Aladdin's lamp, and I couldn't figure out a way to believably refill it in-game (in real life, the oil would last ages, and you couldn't refill it while lit). Instead I'm going with disposable candles. You'll find them throughout the levels, they last quite a while, and you can travel faster with them, but they don't light as far so you can't see well with them.

Modelling the candleholder itself was a nice little day-and-a-bit project for me. I did lots of research and drew a sketch combining the elements I liked from a variety of different designs. The prevalence of brass in this model really gives an opportunity for PBR to shine, although it would look better in game if Game Guru's PBR reflections were dynamic!

AE
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2019 22:27
UPDATE
Ignite will give the player three types of light to complete a level; a flaming torch, a candle, and a lantern, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Having previously completed modelling the candleholder in the last update, I have now finished modelling and texturing this rather nice oil lantern; the last of the three lights the player will be able to choose from. The UV mapping on this one was particularly challenging, but the end results look great I think!

In addition to modelling, I've just trying (and failing) to solve a scripting issue involving particles. Anyone following the script help thread will see I have had the flaming torch worked out for a while now, but I'm struggling with the other two lights. The candle is too small for particles to realistically model a dynamic flame, so I'm currently using a static plane with a flame texture on it. The lantern is a bit too small for particles as well, but I want the player to have dynamic control over the brightness of the lantern flame, so particles seem the best way to make that look realistic. The problem is, the emitters are getting confused over when to make their particles transparent and when to make them opaque, leading to some interesting flickering effects. There is also a one frame delay over the placement of particles, meaning as soon as the player turns, the particles lag behind slightly.

This is what I've got so far, but there's still more work required to get each light animating correctly, and solve the flickering particle issue. Even so, I'm pleased with how things are looking.

AE
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the approach and theme.
Can't watch video at moment , though wishing you all the best with this project.
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2020 11:20 Edited at: 12th Jan 2020 11:20
VIDEO UPDATE
It has been many months since my last update and although I took a break from Game Guru over the summer, I have been chipping away at Ignite again and would like to share the progress made, some of which has only been glimpsed in other threads across the forums until now.

Rather than write an extensive rambling blog post that few people would read, I instead decided to make a video summing up all of the work on Ignite to date. It touches on the inspiration behind Ignite and the extensive scripting and artwork created in the nine months it's been in development.

The salient points are:
I liked a painting and thought it would make for a cool game.
I made some 3D models.
I couldn't get my scripts to work so AmenMoses stepped in.
I made some fire decals by making and filming a flaming torch IRL.
I have sourced and begun converting lots of PBR models for use in this game.
I gave making an in-game cutscene a go. It still needs a lot of work.
I made some parchment sprites and hand-inked icons.
I have started work on level 1 but it's very slow progress.

January felt like the right time to make this video/update. I wanted to reflect on 2019 and all the work I and AmenMoses had put in, but also look forward to 2020 and advancing the project further. With the promise of substantial updates to Game Guru coming later this year, I'm excited to see Game Guru itself develop, and hopeful the updates will improve my game and spur me on. I'll be sure to post more updates, maybe even video updates like this one, as the game gradually comes to life.

AE
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2020 13:27
AE - looking good.
Those flames are fantastic, awesome work there indeed.

OldFlak....
aka Reliquia
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2020 19:03
A wise man once said that its seldomly the resources that hold one back but a lack of resourcefulness.

You are indeed very resourceful and I must say when you started out on a project so heavily centered around light in Game Guru I was very skeptical but you have proven to me that even something that seems to work so much against the engine can actually work if you are determined.

What I specifically like about the great video you posted is just the spirit behind this. There used to be a lot of passion in inde game development in general back in the day, more people from different backgrounds bringing what skills and hobbies they had into making a game and with the ever more approachable engines and asset kit mentality we have these days a lot of it has been lost.
Going on photo safaris for textures, making ones own music, filming stuff, recording sound, recording voice work with friends, traditional art forms such as painting or modern ones such as photography... Just going the extra mile and really making the game project something that bleeds into ones life rather than a dull thing one chips away on in the chair just makes all the difference to me.
its really inspiring to see your work in progress and how you approached the various challenges.

By contrast, so many other video logs of people developing games have kind of a depressing, apathetic under tone. (strangely enough, this increases the more colorful and upbeat the project seems on the surface which further adds to my loathing of the lowpoly-cartoon art style.) Maybe its just me but stuff like this is a breath of fresh air and I am happy to see that its something that is still alive in this community. Be it you doing all this and bringing a lot of your film experience to making games or Duke who makes so much music and even recorded his own footstep sounds goes to show that creativity and a hands on approach is still alive in this community.

Cheers and best luck with your progress on this!

-Wolf
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
great work AE... it's the same gameplay mechanics idea my horror proejct game i have in mind( fading torches, and candles, oil lamps ect) ... but only in my mind.. ..for now...

keep it up..
PC 2 Specs:
AMD RYZEN 2600 SIX CORE @3,70, 64GB RAM DDR4 2400, M/B GIGABYTE AX370
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
AMD QUADCORE 880K @4.5GHZ, 32GB RAM DDR3 1600, M/B ASUS A88XM-PLUS
SVGA RADEON R9 380 4GB , SSD KINGSTON A400 1TB, 2X HHD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2020 08:07 Edited at: 13th Jan 2020 08:08
OldFlak wrote: "Those flames are fantastic, awesome work there indeed."

Thanks OldFlak!

JC LEON wrote: "great work AE... it's the same gameplay mechanics idea my horror proejct game i have in mind( fading torches, and candles, oil lamps ect) ... but only in my mind.. ..for now..."

Thank you, and best of luck with your project if you decide to make it.

Wolf wrote: "I must say when you started out on a project so heavily centered around light in Game Guru I was very skeptical"

I'm skeptical even now as I'm still struggling with Game Guru's lighting. I'm very much hoping with the upcoming developments to Game Guru that the engine catches up with my vision. It's like aiming for a moving target. But I am pleased with what I've got so far.

Wolf wrote: "Going on photo safaris for textures, making ones own music, filming stuff, recording sound, recording voice work with friends, traditional art forms such as painting or modern ones such as photography... Just going the extra mile and really making the game project something that bleeds into ones life rather than a dull thing one chips away on in the chair just makes all the difference to me."

This made me smile, probably because I've done most of those things. Even on holiday last year in Sorrento, I took myself off for an afternoon 'texture gathering', and made several nice sound recordings of thunderstorms we had. It's all part of the fun for me; I could buy most of this stuff but where's the fun in that? I like creating things, I always have to be creating something. Game design gives me countless outlets for that creativity, which is why I love it.

Wolf wrote: "so many other video logs of people developing games have kind of a depressing, apathetic under tone. (strangely enough, this increases the more colorful and upbeat the project seems on the surface which further adds to my loathing of the lowpoly-cartoon art style.)"

Firstly, I totally agree with you on the lowpoly cartoony look; it's very overused and I think a lot of developers use it as shorthand for "Don't judge my game on its graphic" rather than a conscious art style choice. But anyway...
It does seem weird that developers often come across as apathetic, even when making fun and/or colourful games. All I can say for my part is that I'm genuinely passionate about game design, I've had a lot of practise doing voiceover, which is partly why I sound so enthusiastic, and knew I'd need a smattering of humour in my video to keep people engaged.

Wolf wrote: "Cheers and best luck with your progress on this!"

Thanks Wolf! And, as I said in your thread, likewise for your project(s)!

AE
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2020 16:03
Hello!

Quote: "I could buy most of this stuff but where's the fun in that? "

Ha! Indeed! My last vacation in lithuania has proven a wealth for graffiti covered fuse boxes and castle walls
Sure, you could just buy it all, its really affordable now but as you said, you'd deprive yourself of all the fun, which is really the end goal to me.

I've been meaning to ask:

Quote: "I gave making an in-game cutscene a go. It still needs a lot of work."

What would that look like? A slideshow, in-game render, filmed?

-Wolf

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2020 18:17
Quote: "My last vacation in lithuania has proven a wealth for graffiti covered fuse boxes and castle walls"

Splendid - hope they make it to the store one day!

Quote: "I've been meaning to ask...What would that look like? A slideshow, in-game render, filmed?"

No, as in a live cutscene executed through LUA scripts controlling the 'actors' and camera. The test went OK, although it took a lot of trial and error to get even this simple camera move. The main problem was releasing control of the camera seemed to be send it off pointing off in weird directions.

This sort of thing probably isn't suitable for this game, but I would like to experiment with it further.

AE
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2020 21:55 Edited at: 16th Jan 2020 02:04
AE you're a damn [ MOD EDIT ] genius..the master of cutscenes...really WOW
Edited for using Profanity
PC 2 Specs:
SVGA NVDIA 1660GTX 6GB , SSD M.2 TRANSCEND S110 1TB, 1X HDD SEAGATE BARRACUDA 4TB, 1X HDD TOSHIBA 2TB

PC 2 Specs:
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
@JC LEON
Please do not use Profanity in your posts ..
You Know TGC have a strict Policy on it.
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2020 10:24 Edited at: 16th Jan 2020 20:55
Quote: "@JC LEON
Please do not use Profanity in your posts ..
You Know TGC have a strict Policy on it."

sorry syncro.. not my intention to offend ...
PC 2 Specs:

PC 2 Specs:
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2020 20:32
And watch the double negatives.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "And watch the double negatives. "

my bad
PC 2 Specs:

PC 2 Specs:
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2020 22:15 Edited at: 16th Jan 2020 22:18
Quote: "osiem80 wrote: "Interesting, its something like "thief:the dark project?"

Kind of, although sort of the opposite. That game was all about sticking to the shadows, whereas this one will be all about clinging to the light haha! "

If you ever change your mind

Fantastic work with the use of those models by the way. The torch and candles are a beauty.
Store Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2020 20:36
This i have been watching woth envy
1. Its unique
2. Has a background which i love.
3. Very well designed
I look on with envy of your lamps amd especially the torch i would pay hansomly for these items as i watch with intrigue.
4. This entire design feel or ambience is drawing me in.
I. Love it

Ae hat goes off to you
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I look on with envy of your lamps amd especially the torch i would pay hansomly for these items as i watch with intrigue"

me too lol... more for the gameplays mechanics system...
PC 2 Specs:

PC 2 Specs:
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2020 22:13
Thank you all very much

JC LEON, no offence taken, thank you for your compliment! The cutscene thing is something I'm keen to explore further in the future, I just wish it was easier (like a lot of Game Guru tbh lol).

science boy, I wish I could sell/give away the torch but it's against the license. I bought the torch on Turbosquid here if you're interested, but I then had to add the Game Guru arms and animate it myself.

Teabone; that's an excellent script - top job! I can already see several applications for that in other games I have ideas for. Maybe one day...

AE
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2020 08:15
Video test is great reminds me of the very light and shadow depending cutscenes from Thief Deadly Shadows. Certainly something to build upon!
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2020 21:00
awesome project man... This is so cool. I love the effort you put into this, making your own decal ? wow!
Medmatheus
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome project
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2020 23:52 Edited at: 24th Jan 2020 23:52
Thanks Duch, I'm watching your Dark Skies thread with just as much admiration - it's looking fantastic!

And thank you Medmatheus

UPDATE
Despite working overtime at work this week, I still found time to work on Ignite, mostly beating my head against a brick wall trying to crack a LUA script and understand fileIO commands. Basically I had an idea for a new game mechanic; it's a picture puzzle where you gradually collect the pieces over the course of the game to assemble...a picture! Anyway, it required some pretty intense scripting - storing and reading variables across multiple levels - which, although I was making tiny amounts of progress on each night on, was ultimately way beyond my feeble expertise. Thankfully, in the last 24 hours or so, AmenMoses has stepped in yet again to write an elegant script to handle everything I needed. Him and smallg are still ironing out the last couple of issues to do with save/load but it's looking great!

The video also showcases a new model I made - a scroll of parchment.

Was thinking this might make a good addition to the store, now that I'm all set up on there. It's PBR compliant, naturally.

AE

Attachments

Login to view attachments
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
really cool AE ..great work like always
PC 2 Specs:

PC 2 Specs:
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2020 09:46
Cool stuff AE
The scroll is great, really like the bow - lol - good job on that....

OldFlak....
aka Reliquia
i7-4790 @ 3.2GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. M1: Acer 31.5" @1920x1080 M2: Samsung 31.5" @ 1920 x 1080. M3: Acer 24" @ 1920 x 1080. OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Insider.
PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2020 23:01
Quote: "The scroll is great, really like the bow - lol - good job on that...."

Cheers, I'm pleased with how that came out given how low poly it is. Had make a bow in real life to use as a reference when modelling. The scroll is now available in the store!

UPDATE
Progress has been a little slow recently while life gets in the way, but I figured I'd post some things I recently made to show I'm still working away, albeit gradually. In my developer vlog from a few weeks ago, I briefly touched on how I had drawn some icons for the game, and also made some parchments for use as sprites. I was so pleased with how the first icon turned out that I'm now leaning into that art style a bit more and finding more excuses to use etchy hand-inked pictographs within the game.

The illustrations are made by hand. I find an image I like, desaturate it, and play with the contrast in Paint Shop Pro until I'm happy, then print it out and trace over the outline on a separate sheet of paper using a lightbox I made a while back for a film. I try to mimic the style of engravings from the 16th and 17th century. I trace using a fountain pen I was awarded aged 10 for having neat handwriting. I don't know what they were thinking; my cursive handwriting is terrible, but I still have the pen and, amazingly, I still had an unopened ink cartridge from those days (I have since bought more refills). Once dry, I scan the illustrations in, tidy them up a bit, and apply them to a suitable backdrop.

The parchment was made by taking normal printer paper and staining it with coffee. I mixed up coffee and cold water and then used a wad of paper towel to apply successive washes over the paper until it turns brown, and dried crispy. I then roughed up the edges by hand, making little tears and fraying the edges. I even tried lightly burning one of them . Some I rolled up to get more of a scroll-like effect, some I kept flat. Then I photographed them using some nice diffuse lighting to give soft shadows to subtly add some depth. My parchments were so authentic, I ended up recording the sound of them to use as foley within the game.

I've got a few different styles I'll be using during the game, some small ones just for short phrases of text, some larger ones for pickupable notes that will contain backstory and lore. The three showcased here will all appear in the opening level to help teach the player the basics of the game.

Next time, I'll try to post something more related to Game Guru itself.

AE
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2020 19:29
Great stuff!

Besides, Lee was nice enough to feature an article of mine in the TGC newsletter, in case you are signed up to it.
I took the liberty to link your game as its on topic and as I think every GG user should see it

Cheers!

-Wolf
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2020 10:23
UPDATE
With much of the basic mechanics now working, I've been turning my attention to actually building the first level of the game. It seems the harder my day job stretches me, the more I rely on Game Guru in the evenings and weekends as a way to relax. That said, I only manage to squeeze in a couple of hours each night so progress is fairly slow. That and the fact I keep abandoning my opening level and starting again.

Another thing that is slowing me down is asset modification. Since the earliest days of the project, I've been using Lafette's Mystical Dark Age pack as the basis for much of my level architecture. It's a wonderful little pack of medieval corridors, traps, and entities, but I have had to make some changes to various assets to make them work for my level.

First and foremost, I've lessened the green tint to the walls, and updated the walls and floors to be PBR-compliant. I also developed one or two custom texture variations of my own, which I need for some story beats.

Sometimes the modifications have been small aesthetic tweaks like removing the bars from this window (which has previous been seen in my cutscene test here), and updating the textures on these columns.

Sometimes I've had to make changes for technical reasons. The original doorways in the Mystical Dark Age pack were great, but because the flaming torch script has its own collision detection, I was frequently getting stuck in doorways, despite my best efforts to tweak the values. My solution? Make the doorways a bit bigger.

The collision detection was also causing havoc with the original stairs entity. I had to pull it apart, add some additional steps so each step could be smaller, and I also used it as an opportunity to tidy up the textures on the sides and the coping stones.

In addition, I've made several other custom pieces like short walls, coping stones, a large archway, ceiling pieces, and some animated dungeon prison cell doors that fit in those enlarged doorways from earlier.

I'm currently working on a completely remodelled wooden door to fit those doorways too, having lots of fun texturing at the moment. I also want to make an additional shout-out to Lafette again for his new, completely free, Medieval Starter Kit, which contains hundreds of walls, doors, pillars, traps, and entities, many of which I intend to use in Ignite. Go check out his amazing work!

A note on Game Guru Max
The recent announcement of Game Guru Max poses something of a quandary to me and this game. Ignite relies on lighting, and the current lightmapper is finicky and difficult to master (though I am getting better results recently). Game Guru Max will apparently have an entirely new lighting engine, which should really aid me in my quest to create atmosphere, not to mention potentially unlocking dynamic shadows, which would really help sell the flaming torch effect.

However, although backwards compatibility has been assured, there's really no guarantee it will 100% work, especially given that Ignite relies on a lot of custom scripting. I am confronted with two options; stop work on Ignite until at least September when GGM is released, or continue working on it and hope for the best. As you can probably tell from this post, I have chosen the latter, partly because I want to capitalise on still being creatively interested in this project, and partly because I am (I think quite rationally) sceptical of GGM and how good its new lighting system really will be. I certainly won't be pre-ordering until I see what it's capable of.

In the meantime then, I guess I'd better get back to texturing this door

AE
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2020 14:53
Yeah carry on with it then port over all needed models. scripts etc. And do a newer version of it. On ggmax that way you could get best of both worlds
an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2020 10:52
Thanks for pluging Lafettes stuff! I think it really deserves a bit more attention and sadly this community has a tendency to miss most strides made outside of the ever present bickering in the product chat section.

Quote: "I am confronted with two options; stop work on Ignite until at least September when GGM is released, or continue working on it and hope for the best."

Alternatively, you can do what I do and work on all aspects of the game that are easy to port. Basic scripts, maps, media (!) and sound. Then you have it all set up by the time GGX comes around and you can jump right into the meat of things in september (or so). If GGX will end up being a wash, you have all your media together and polished to make switching to a different engine easier.

Anyway! As always: Best luck!

-Wolf
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2020 23:38 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2020 09:03
UPDATE
It is now more or less a year since I started this project - an ideal time to reflect. My original development philosophy around Ignite was to try and mimic the 'waterfall' style of development; frequent builds, rapid feedback, and constant evaluation. Unfortunately, Ignite has required so much time up front to develop various technical aspects, gameplay elements, and 2D, 3D, and audio assets that, after a year of work, I still don't have a build to share.

Much of this is to do with the fact that I have kept abandoning maps mid-development because they either didn't flow right, or didn't account for mechanics I later worked into the game. Only now that I have a fuller picture of both gameplay and story have I finally been able to sit down and map out level 1. Level 1 of a game is always particularly difficult because you have to control the flow of information to the player, not just story information but gameplay information. Teaching the player the mechanics of the game at the right speed and in the right order has caused several false starts, but I'm now finally happy with where this level is going.

I realised it's been a long time since I've shared any gameplay footage of Ignite, so here's a clip of where we are right now. It goes without saying that nothing in this video is final, and there's a lot more to level 1 than what's showcased here

Now that I'm happy with the basic layout, I've begun adding detail to some rooms and playing about with lighting. It's highly likely I will make the switch to Game Guru Max later this year, but using Game Guru Classic's existing lightmapper has thrown up some interesting revelations that are changing how I decorate rooms and where I place lights. The idea is that even if I have to relight the entire game inside Max, I'll at least have a better understanding of where to place those lights.

One such revelation was to do with lightmapping quality. I had always assumed that I'd want high resolution lightmaps to properly capture sharp shadows. This might have been true if I was dealing with lots of point light sources like lightbulbs or the sun, but my game is entirely lit by fire, which spreads light out and creates softer shadows at a much closer distance. I've actually found I get more pleasing results by lowering the lightmapping resolution. Currently it's set to 340; this gives distinguishable areas of light and dark but softens the shadows to the point where it almost looks like surfaces are receiving a bit of reflected, environmental light. It's not quite radiosity, but it works for my tests, and it makes lightmaps a hell of a lot less memory-hungry.

My thanks once again goes out to AmenMoses for his continued help on the project. He's done some really fine work getting the lantern to work which I will showcase in a future update, as well as other tweaks to how each light (torch, candle, and lantern) are replenished.

All that and more to look forward to in the next update!

AE
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2020 02:02
errmmm..... Very Cool AE!

Shadows just add so much atmosphere - real nice
Those flames are just incredible....

All your hard work is paying off.

OldFlak....
aka Reliquia
PM
bluemeenie195
Years of Service
User Offline
I think this game has great potential.

Can't wait for the finished product.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2020 18:26
Getting better and better!

Remember that you can use GG's fog to set an ambient tone in the level
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2020 19:01 Edited at: 12th Apr 2020 19:05
OldFlak wrote: "Shadows just add so much atmosphere - real nice"

Doesn't it? It's a shame I'll probably end up chucking most of this lighting work away but it's given me a good level to build upon. Now I've just got my fingers crossed MAX blowing this lighting out of the water.

bluemeenie195 wrote: "I think this game has great potential. Can't wait for the finished product."

Thank you bluemeenie. There's still a long way to go but it's been a fun journey so far.

Wolf wrote: "Remember that you can use GG's fog to set an ambient tone in the level"

You say that, but so far I've been reluctant to mess with the fog settings as they tend to remove contrast and make distant structures appear clearer, removing some of the 'fear of the unknown' aspect I'm going for. Perhaps some subtle fog won't be too distracting, I'll look into it.

UPDATE
I like to stop by this thread every 2-3 weeks to post any updates I have made. Despite the lockdown, I am as busy with my day-job as I've ever been (namely because everyone suddenly wants video to reach various audiences). Consequently, I've had no significant increase in free time and progress has been slow but steady. OK, I also got distracted starting a Facebook page for my travel videos/photography and making a video in Cities Skylines...

Anyway. I have decided to split level 1 up into 3 parts to reduce loading times, and aid performance. It was a fairly easy trade-off as the level was deliberately designed to have a three act structure to introduce the player to the three torches they can carry with them.

I'm continuing to gradually build up layers of detail room by room, and am experimenting with lighting a lot (despite GG's...inconsistent lightmapper, as you can see in the picture above). For a game that relies so heavily on darkness, I'm needing to use a lot more lighting than I thought to guide the player's eye and illuminate objectives. I guess that's to be expected in these early levels.

Obviously all this light needs to be "motivated". Hence I've been cutting holes in ceilings, plopping down lots of static torches, and disguising subtle dynamic lights underwater to pick out geometry from the gloom.

One last thing. Lee was kind enough to get in contact with me last month and ask me to contribute to the April Newsletter, giving a write up all about Ignite. Most of that information already exists in this thread, but if you fancy reading a condensed version of it, have a look here:
https://www.thegamecreators.com/newsletter/thegamecreators-newsletter-18--april-2020

Stay safe.

AE
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
great work AE as usually
PC 2 Specs:

PC 2 Specs:
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 13th Apr 2020 21:59
You’ve done wonders with the GG lightnapper.

In sure all of this work will translate to an amazing head start into the max renderer. I just hope performance isn’t killed with the improved lighting and visuals but I guess we’ll see in a few months.

Dynamic light/torch shadows will look amazing in your 3D world - like a vastly improved dark mod.

Cheers.

GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER PassMark: 14817
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2020 20:54
VIDEO UPDATE
It's been a productive month or so for me in Game Guru. I've created and released a new pack of light rays, glows and halos for Game Guru that has met very positive feedback. I've also been tinkering away on Ignite's third level, adding new gameplay elements and slowly filling up the level with entities and set-dressing.

I promised I'd make another developer vlog if I continued with Ignite, and I have been, so here it is. This one focuses on the gameplay mechanics that have been developed for the game so far (mostly with the help and unwavering patience of AmenMoses).

AE
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2020 00:00 Edited at: 11th May 2020 00:01
simply crosspost form discord ...

i dont want to watch the video since i'm so jealous of what you acheived!!!

edit
Didnt resist and watched it...
Man you're really talented.. even your Vlog narration system is really amazing and very interesting, entertaining and profrssional... hope you can complete the game ...otherwise.... i come back to you and will kill you.... in the darkenss LOL
note system and explodable barrels are really great
and good looking ones
PC 2 Specs:

PC 2 Specs:
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 15:45:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 15:45:34