Work In Progress / [LOCKED] Deliver us from evil - Playable Demo

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2018 01:49 Edited at: 18th Oct 2018 02:21
Author
Ian StJohn

I made this, my first ever game , nearly two years ago with the versatile GameGuru software and it was something of an achievement for me but it was really slated on the old steam Green Light system and it knocked me back for six at the time. I have just played it today for the first time in two years and I was quite impressed with how well it was put together although the radar screen mechanic doesn't scale correctly. I still like the premise of the game but there are a lot of things I would change now. So I am reposting it as a Wip to see what you guys think of it if you didn't see it first time round - is it worth pursuing or should I give it up and move on?!

Link to website for the demo: http://www.deliverusfromevil.co.uk

Preface
This demo demonstrates what can be done with GameGuru if you are a total novice and new to scripting if you put your mind to it. The only thing I am guilty of in this piece of work is that I have used the game assets for the entities but all the coding and music is my own.

Concept
Take a horror game, combine it with a game of strategy, flavour it with a sprinkling of 3D PacMan and then glaze and cook for 5 months and what do you get?
The game ‘Deliver us from evil’, D.U.F.E, a title so mixed up that its difficult to pigeon hole its genre. Putting a twist on the modern 3D horror genre mixed with a retro 2D gameplay how will you play?

The Story
Earth has been all but destroyed and humanity are on the brink of extinction. The Retentive came in 2018 and it was clear from the outset that they didn’t come in peace. Their aim was to harvest all human life-force to fuel their desire to become fully sentient. These semi-sentient beings were not of organic form but of non-biological matter and their true form has never been seen. They often appear in spacesuits and it is thought that this image was taken from their initial contact with our space exploration projects.
All we do know is that the Retentive can extract a life-force by merely touching a human. The human life-force, the very soul of a human, is the cognitive ingredient that the Retentive feel is missing from their species.
Whatever the reason, it is your mission to put an end to this.
What remains of the human race have put into place their final plan to infiltrate The Retentive mainframe hive located on a small moon not too far away from our own solar system. The top scientists have used all the technology available and have landed you with a crude ship in the containment area at the hive surface. Sadly weapons are truly limited and only basic handguns with limited ammunition can be teleported to approximate locations without interception by the mainframe.
However, you have one weapon in your arsenal like no other. You have Eve, the most advanced sentient Artificial Intelligence ever created by man and she exists on a chip implanted within your head.
She will guide you in your mission and provide you with Head up displays, Radars and local Intel – look after her and she will look after of you.

Features
o 20 individual levels each with its own set of exclusive rules
o A final Boss level where you take on The Retentive Mainframe in a level to end all boss-levels.
o Our revolutionary ‘Edge & Execution’ A.I algorithm is like nothing you have seen before. The Retentive will hunt you down
as a pack and they re-evaluate their tactics with your every move, they wait, they hide, they pounce.
o Linear storyline but with depth to keep you intrigued throughout the game.
o Fantastic soundtrack by dance act Celestial (that's me)
o Hours of recorded Audio from your A.I assistant Eve

Hope you enjoy playing it

Saint

Link to website for the demo: http://www.deliverusfromevil.co.uk
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I fixed your links .. Non worked
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2018 15:53
Quote: "is it worth pursuing or should I give it up and move on?! "

That really depends on how much you are willing to change and your attitutde towards that.
I think you can make something worthwhile with the ideas you presented if you overhaul everything and learn a few basic game design skills. I see you already learned the LUA scripting language which is good.
The fact that you immediately considered your first attempt to be worthy to be sold on steam is, I believe, at the core of the issue with the whole presentation. This then continues, continues, and I am going to be honest with you, by showing some really basic, lackluster corridor based leveldesign that is just flooded with a mish mash of other users content. Having identical zombies in 90s jeans stumble towards the player in the same universe where you fight astronauts and the creatures from resident evil 4. That video alone with its movie-maker type fonts over the worst level design I have seen to date advertising things as "revolutionary" and "fantastic".

The plot is standard science fiction fair but can be really entertaining if you learn basic model and texturing and give it a fitting (and CONSISTENT) art style to go along with it.

"the boss fight to end all bossfights" is another claim that will immediately invoke a hostile reaction from your potential audience, especially when they see the "gameplay" that went along with the rest of the video.
Having this garage band type up-beat soundtrack play over a video for something that is a rather bleak scifi concept is also hilariously clashing. All this rampant exaggeration over something that does not even come close to mediocre, even for a one man project, leaves me personally with a really bad after taste even if you tried to make something legitimately entertaining.
You have your scripting down and the whole 3D pacman type thing can work if you polish it. I'd say bring the rest of your skills up to snuff and redesign it from scratch IF you really want to make this game.

All in all, nobody's first attempt at anything is an instant masterpiece...but I think it should be important to recognise that.

-Wolf

vincenthendriks
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: A whole lot of different things.
Posted: 18th Oct 2018 16:18
I'm sorry but I'm gonna tell you what I think, your 'game' is hardly worth calling a game. The fact that you immediately try to port your first game on steam is just absolutely ridiculous. Your level design is bad, the trailer looks absurd, and it's just a big mess. Your level design is just terrible, and combining zombies with robots and stuff like AI makes little sense to me. You just shouldn't release stuff like this, you could post it on a blog or something. But this is just not steam worthy. I've had GameGuru for over 2 years, and I have a small amount of hours put into it (400 or so). In all that time I haven't released a game yet though! I am working on a serious project right now, but you should think very hard on what you want to release. People release stuff like this all the time, and it hurts everybody's reputation, including yours! You can make 100 levels with a million zombies, but it won't make your game better at all. A thing I learned is that it's better to have 1 good level, then 10 bad ones, with that said, it's still your call. I strongly advise that you do not release this though.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2018 18:29 Edited at: 18th Oct 2018 18:30
Please don't put this on Steam.
Share it with friends and the online community for free but I highly recommend and insist not uploading this to Steam.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Charliestjohn
Years of Service
User Offline
I appreciate the brutally honest comments and I totally agree that the level design was thrown together with the stock Gameguru models as I invested all my time and effort into the scripting . I was trying to create something a little different from the usual FPS shooter and exploration game that everyone makes with this engine but I realise now that this is what GameGuru is about; those are the only type of games that will ever be made with this software. I still stand by the ingenuity in the code I created for this game, (indeed I created my own gamesave routine before it was implemented into the engine's core scripts), but, as you all state, without a well designed polished game shell to sit on it, it was destined to fail from the outset.

Time to move on.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2018 11:33
Which concludes this topic.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2018 12:44 Edited at: 19th Oct 2018 13:01
I have to agree with the others but with one main difference ..
I actually like the idea … You wouldn't make a fortune but a 3D Pac-Man style game could have been fun …
You could actually turn it around if you think clever .. Definitely No stock assets at all though for starters ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 09:45:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 09:45:23