3rd Party Models/Media Chat / Disscussion: Your work flow for creating PBR assets?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 03:11
My goal is to gain a better understanding of the best work flow for creating or upgrading
models for the new PBR lighting in GG. This is my current progress with creating a new model
in Wings3d and texturing it with 3D Coat's smart materials. I am only currently evaluating 3D Coat
for its ease of use and how well it exports for the textures for GG. I would like to hear what the forum dwellers
thoughts and what their work flow is currently. I have attached a few screen shots to show the PBR textures in GG.
So far I think it looks ok, all feedback is welcome.

The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 04:57
I'm curious if displacement will be added, that would really be nice to have.
My workflow will be sketchup-light unwrap-substance-fragmotion.
I've bought substance as a package now that it is quite a lot cheaper during the winter sale.

i've made a stairs for the mill which i'm currently working on and which i'm using to also get familiar with substance painter.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 04:58 Edited at: 31st Dec 2017 04:59
I haven't messed with the PBR in either the betas or the public preview simply because I don't understand how it all works yet either. I have Substance (Designer and Painter as well as B2M), but I'm not totally sure how to implement them yet in GG. Belidos said on one post that he was going to put up a tutorial for that, but I've either missed it, or he hasn't done it yet. Anyway, back to your use of PBR. Honestly, it doesn't look to me any different than a standard asset. I mean no offense, but I'm certainly no expert on such things! I'm sure this is a topic that will get lots of coverage in the coming months, though.
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 10:56
Hi I have posted a couple of tutorials and my workflow it's not good enough for a sticky so you may have missed it https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/218774

Also your model looks good but you need to tone down the edge wear it's a little bit too even and too much of it.
Not all edges in rl have wear on them.

I also tried 3dcoat but did not like it so I went with Quixel Suite, Substance Designer and Marmoset toolbag 3
Welcome to the real world!
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Stab in the Dark software
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 17:00 Edited at: 31st Dec 2017 17:03
Quote: "Also your model looks good but you need to tone down the edge wear it's a little bit too even and too much of it.
Not all edges in rl have wear on them."

Yes I know, I kind of did that on purpose to see more of the metalness in GG so I could tell if
it was working. I know I made some other artistic mistakes as I am learning 3D Coat. As Wings3D is my preferred
modeling program I wanted to test how well 3D Coat works UV mapping and texturing a Wings3D model.
So far I like the 3D coat interface and work flow, I was able to figure out how to use it with only watching I few minutes of a tutorial. Probably since I am familiar with Gimp and working with layers it made it easier to understand how to use 3D Coat.

I have attached an updated screen shot from GG. After some more testing I discovered that I was not exporting the
textures correctly from 3D Coat so I was not seeing the normal map effects in GG. I am still not sure if I have the
.dds textues exported correctly from 3D Coat. It seems that 3D coat does not add mipmaps to the .dds format on export.
Does GG need mipmaps in the .dds file? I tried opening the 3D coat exported .dds file in Gimp and exporting it .dds with generate mipmaps but GG does not like it. In the past I exported from Gimp .dds with mipmaps and both GG Directx 9 and DirectX 11 versions liked it. I can only assume it has to do with the .dds file I get from 3 Coat is not correct. I guess we need more info from Lee or Preben on this. I have attached the 3D Coat export settings I am using for GG.

Attachments

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 17:37 Edited at: 31st Dec 2017 17:40
You are using DXT5 compression I would change that to DXT1 to reduce your texture size by 50% DXT5 is really only needed for transparency in GG.

You could also try inverting your roughness map before renaming it to gloss UE4 workflow as the correct inversion UNITY does not as far as 3dcoat is concerned I cannot remember if I had to invert it or not

To be honest I have been exporting my maps as PNG from Quixel or Substance if I do convert them to DDS I have found paint.net works better for me than gimp.
And don't worry about the normals at the moment they are very subtle in GG I am hoping Preben tweaks them a bit with his shader tweaks
Main PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Test PC - Windows 10 Pro x64 - G4400 @3.3GHz - 16GB DDR3 RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 500GB SSD
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 18:14
Hey look, bricks

Attachments

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 18:44
WOW the normals are really popping out in that good job Earthling45
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 18:53
Quote: "You are using DXT5 compression I would change that to DXT1 to reduce your texture size by 50% DXT5 is really only needed for transparency in GG."

Apparently now PNG is "the" format to use for GG.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 19:00
Quote: "Apparently now PNG is "the" format to use for GG."

To be honest PNG is the format I have been using with PBR simply because the texture size seems to be smaller than DDS and transparency works if the alpha is around 130 ish
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 19:11
I switched to export png from 3D Coat then I convert them to .dds with Gimp.
I use the DXT1 and generate mipmaps. The Cityscape PBR assets are using .dds with mipmaps
so I guess this is correct. It does not seem that I need to invert the roughness map before renaming
it in the 3D Coat export. Still not sure if I have it right as the model looks different in 3D Coat.
Maybe Preben still has shader tweeking too get the same look. Screen shot attached.

Attachments

Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 19:14
Looks great in 3D Coat!
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9809), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080 (passmark 12006), 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 19:22
Yes , In 3D Coat the lids look like bumped plastic compared to the metal.
Still trying to figure out how to get it to look the same in GG.
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 19:24 Edited at: 31st Dec 2017 19:56
I agree it looks awesome in 3dcoat but I had little success getting anything to look right in GG from 3dcoat thats why i settled on quixel originally until i saved enough to buy substance i think those two applications are the best tools for creating GG assets at the moment.

I also have iclone7 but have not used it yet
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 19:47
Great looking model Stab in the Dark ,to be honest I’m not going to spend a lot of time on models until the pbr is finalised.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 23:36
Hi all

Quote: "Apparently now PNG is "the" format to use for GG."

Belidos, Is that a work in progress in the beta? All the textures are DDS in the current public preview.

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2017 23:39
Quote: "Belidos, Is that a work in progress in the beta? All the textures are DDS in the current public preview."

My point exactly,I will wait until it’s all in place .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 01:03
Quote: " Belidos, Is that a work in progress in the beta? All the textures are DDS in the current public preview."

It's what I've been told by others in the beta section, but apparently it's been that way for a couple of updates. I got told off in there for telling people not to use PNG.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 04:14
Seems like the dds mipmaps are working ok in GG for me.
I went back to 3D Coat and altered the textures. I think I got a better result.
It definitely looks better in GG now. I think I have the lid looking like plastic
and the bin looks like painted metal. The AO might be too dark. I will do more testing next year.
Until then, some new screen shots.
Happy New Year forum dwellers

Attachments

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 08:41
that looks much better what did you do? I had issues getting 3dcoat assets looking right in GG, some people may find it useful if you mention how you got it to look right.

are the textures DDS or PNG?

Happy New Year everyone
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 14:44
Looks great!

Quote: "are the textures DDS or PNG?"

I think he used .dds (with mipmaps)
PM
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 15:41 Edited at: 1st Jan 2018 15:48
It is quite interesting and educational to read more on this matter.
DDS is the prefered format but also losy because with every edit and save information is lost which means that the quality gets lower.
DXT3 seems to be the prefered compression for color-rich textures but not for alpha because it is either on or off.
DXT5 has gradient alpha and is thus the choice for water, sky and other gradient textures.

PNG data is lossless but as i understand there needs to be some processing of that data because it is not data that is directly readable by the GPU like DDS.
This processing will affect the loadtime of the textures.

PNG 8 is 256 colors.
It can be used for small textures with less color and thus have textures with a small filezise, there is however also question of banding on the textures.
PNG 16 is 16 million colors and the preferable choice for larger complex colorfull textures.
PNG 32 is essentially the same as PNG16 but it is the preferable choice for textures with alpha transparency which compared to the index-alpha of PNG16 provides multiple levels of transparency which thus also provides a much smoother blend along the edges.

Please do correct me if i'm wrong with the above.

My previous question seems to be answered, parallax mapping is a shading technique, not actually adding geometry like tessellation mapping.
It is good for walls and floors but the texture must be suitable (enough dept) in order to get a good result.
Brickwall_D which is found in your EBE texturesource is the texture i used as a test to export textures with B2M3.
I didn't do much more than lowering the normal intensity a little and exporting the texture maps as PNG.
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 18:05
Quote: "that looks much better what did you do? I had issues getting 3dcoat assets looking right in GG, some people may find it useful if you mention how you got it to look right.

are the textures DDS or PNG?"

For the plastic lid I changed the color from completely black to a little lighter.
A 3D Coat tutorial said not to use completely black for PBR. I also changed the
layers for the lids. I had a smart material worn plastic for the base then just a plain color
layer, then a smart material paint layer with some depth for the bumped effect.
Also I had missed including the lids in the ambient occlusion.
I exported them png from 3D Coat and converted them with Gimp to DXT1 with generate mipmaps.
If I export .dds DXT1/DXT5 from 3D coat and open them with Gimp I get no visible texture for ever texture
except the color texture. But it seems GG still likes it. Also 3D coat does not export with mipmaps.
I will have to research what we need for DirectX11.

Earthling45 has confused me more. Which textures should I use.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 18:31
For direct x engines, .dds file is more game ready as it does not need to have extra processing done on it during runtime.

But you can use any of the available flavors for textures.
.jpg, .png, .dds, .bmp

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is how the map types work.

Metal Rough Worfkow

Base Color
Raw color with no lighting information. Small amount of ambient occlusion can be baked in if using it for micro-surface occlusion. The color range for dark values should stay within 30-50 RGB. Never have dark values below 30 RGB. The brightest color value should not go above 240 RGB.

Roughness
Describes the microsurface of the object. White 1.0 is rough and black 0.0 is smooth. The microsurface if rough can cause the light rays to scatter and make the highlight appear dimmer and more broad. The same amount of light energy is reflected going out as coming into the surface. This map has the most artistic freedom. There is no wrong answers here. This map gives the asset the most character as it truly describes the surface e.g. scratches, fingerprints, smudges, grime etc.

Normal
Normal map

Metallic
Tells the shader if something is metal or not. Raw Metal = 1.0 white and non metal = 0.0 black. There can be transitional gray values that indicate something covering the raw metal such as dirt.

* With metal/rough, the areas indicated as metal in the metallic map have a corresponding metal reflectance value in the base color map. The metal reflectance value in the base color needs to be a measured real-world value. Transitional areas in the metal map (not raw metal 1.0 white) need to have the metal reflectance value lowered to indicate that its reflectance value is not raw metal.

Also, with metal/rough, you only have control over metal reflectance values. The dielectric values are set to 0.04 or 4% which is most dielectric materials. The dielectric is hard-coded by the shader and you don't need to set it in Substance. Some shaders add a specular control that allows you to change the fresnel reflectance value at 0 degrees.

Specular Glossiness Workflow

Diffuse
Raw color with no lighting information. Small amount of ambient occlusion can be baked in if using it for micro-surface occlusion. The color range for dark values should stay within 30-50 RGB. Never have dark values below 30 RGB. The brightest color value should not go above 240 RGB.

Glossiness
This map is the inverse of the roughness map. White 1.0 is smooth and 0.0 black is rough. Describes the microsurface of the object. The microsurface if rough can cause the light rays to scatter and make the highlight appear dimmer and more broad. The same amount of light energy is reflected going out as coming into the surface. This map has the most artistic freedom. There is no wrong answers here. This map gives the asset the most character as it truly describes the surface e.g. scratches, fingerprints, smudges, grime etc.

Specular
This map contains the reflectance information for both metal and dielectrics (non metal) surfaces. This is a key difference in the metal/rough and spec/gloss workflows. The same rules apply. You need to use measured values for metals and most all dielectrics will fall with the 0.04 - 4% range. If there is dirt on the metal, the reflectance value needs to be lowered as well. However, you can add different values in the specular map for dielectric materials since you have control to author the map.

Normal
Normal map
"So let it be written; so let it be done." Account got messed up with introduction to steam. I am Jackal
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2018 22:16
Quote: "Roughness
Describes the microsurface of the object. White 1.0 is rough and black 0.0 is smooth. The microsurface if rough can cause the light rays to scatter and make the highlight appear dimmer and more broad. The same amount of light energy is reflected going out as coming into the surface. This map has the most artistic freedom. There is no wrong answers here. This map gives the asset the most character as it truly describes the surface e.g. scratches, fingerprints, smudges, grime etc.

Glossiness
This map is the inverse of the roughness map. White 1.0 is smooth and 0.0 black is rough. Describes the microsurface of the object. The microsurface if rough can cause the light rays to scatter and make the highlight appear dimmer and more broad. The same amount of light energy is reflected going out as coming into the surface. This map has the most artistic freedom. There is no wrong answers here. This map gives the asset the most character as it truly describes the surface e.g. scratches, fingerprints, smudges, grime etc.
"

Except in GG for some reason the _gloss map is actually a roughness map. Not sure why Lee did it that way.

Primary Desktop:

Secondary Desktop:

Laptop:
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 02:27
A bit overboard with the normal and height map i think

But i've recorded a little while playing with the shadows, light and flashlight.
Having a dark environment and thus eliminating the sunfactor makes quite a difference on how it looks.

What i'm quite curious about is why there are white spots in the texture, what am i doing wrong?

Textures
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 02:47 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2018 02:52
I had kind of hoped that this post would not get moved from the Product Chat.
But I guess this is where it belongs. I thought that the discussion would be see by more users that way.

Quote: "
What i'm quite curious about is why there are white spots in the texture, what am i doing wrong?"

I do not seem to see the spots. I think there is something still not right in GG with the light sources.
As you can see in the screen shot the dumpster is all in shadow but the lid still has a shine to it.
It is as if the concrete wall ( which is a GG PBR model) is not blocking the light source.

P.S.
In the fpe file what does the materialindex mean?

Attachments

Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 03:04
Quote: "P.S.
In the fpe file what does the materialindex mean?"

I belief that the material index is for the sound files.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 05:33

This is the current index list.
I believe that only 0 - 3 work right now.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 15:03
Ok I discovered 2 new bits of information. I believe I am making
my AO maps to dark and it seems that you do not want to use compression
on your normal maps especially in the dds format with mipmaps.
Apparently it will loose to much detail in compression especially on the mipmaps.
The cityscape PBR assets are like this. Also it seems to be a standard in other DirectX 11 game
engines. I have attached my current export settings for 3D Coat.
This seems to be giving better results.

Attachments

JackalHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Use either DDS 5 or PNG. Works best
"So let it be written; so let it be done." Account got messed up with introduction to steam. I am Jackal
Joined 2nd Dec 2009.
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 19:27
Honestly you shouldn't be using DXT 1 compression with small objects it doesn't pose a problem on larger objects DTX 1 results in far more visible pixelation. Should also be noted that roughness map should be 32bit, photoshop is able to save out DDS files with the nvidia plugin in 32 bit.

PBR is quite sensitive to pixelation you should refrain from using DTX 1, additionally maps should also be the same size across all maps, unlike previous shader, reducing texture sizes of other maps is going to have a significant overall quality reduction.
Win7 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2018 22:49
Quote: "Should also be noted that roughness map should be 32bit, photoshop is able to save out DDS files with the nvidia plugin in 32 bit."

What do you mean by this? There is no choice for RGBA 32 bit.

wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 3rd Jan 2018 03:10

These tools for photoshop, the 32bit depth relates to the alpha channel in the roughness map.
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop
Win7 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2018 12:37
Hi All

So there be some interesting info in this thread.

Would be nice to know the type of dds to use for all maps - for both PBR and Non-PBR textures - wizard of id -

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2018 00:17
I uploaded my model to sketchfab to check if the PBR textures look correct.
Seems to look the same as 3D Coat. Now if we could get the same look in GG
we would be all set.

https://sketchfab.com/models/7b55e973d1cd48819ba09b7db1853afc

Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2018 02:39
That looks really good.

Obviously pbr in GG is not finished yet but it is nice to have the preview and play with it.
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2018 12:23 Edited at: 5th Jan 2018 12:24
Quote: " uploaded my model to sketchfab to check if the PBR textures look correct.
Seems to look the same as 3D Coat. Now if we could get the same look in GG
we would be all set."

There is a GG version with color/light corrections and better energy conservation , but if you try it in the current public preview , it will also nearly look the same as in Sketchfab .

The GG version will look a bit different , this is mainly caused by the tab tab color sliders that is also included in the GG PBR version , so the color sliders can actually RUIN the PBR look , somehow we need to find slider settings that are "neutral" and dont change the PBR colors/light , and work with our PBR levels from there.

Another difference is that the colors from the surroundings is included in the objects colors , so it looks brighter in GG because you have brighter surroundings ( the skybox and terrain ) , So if you change your skybox to one that looks more like the one in Sketchfab (dark gray) the model in GG will also look darker.

If you notice "gray" surroundings nearly always look better in PBR, this has nothing to do with GG but when your PBR objects use colors/light from the surroundings gray will be neutral and only change the variations of the color, so you get the original color variation on your objects.

Stab in the Dark software: I will not include screenshots from the latest version as i think Lee should release all this when he thinks its ready ( but it looks .... ) , so i just took your screenshots from above to compare

best regards Preben Eriksen,

Attachments

GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2018 16:06
Thanks Preben for the explanation, I will try your suggestions and I understand
that the beta is still not finished. Here are some screen shots from my next PBR model.
If you look at the base of the model in the GG screenshots you can see some dark patches.
These do not appear in Wings3D , Fragmotion, 3D Coat or Sketchfab. The symbol on the base is
a separate mesh from the base. I think the surface of the mesh behind is bleeding thru when
viewed in GG. Also the center pin seems to be showing the polygon lines. I am not sure if it is the same issue.
Maybe I have constructed the model wrong. Other than that the model looks better with a cloudy sky and
darker terrain.

https://sketchfab.com/models/478609d11e14444b90dd872cb1de2509

Attachments

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 6th Jan 2018 16:59 Edited at: 6th Jan 2018 20:15
Seems to me that you may have left your UV in the texture or not welded the vertices and it is a very nice model
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2018 17:50 Edited at: 6th Jan 2018 17:57
Hi stab: WOW thats a great PBR model

If you zoomin in sketchfab you also get the poly lines in the center see screenshot, but they are for some reason more visible in GG.

Quote: "I think the surface of the mesh behind is bleeding thru when viewed in GG"

The big black spots at the bottom of the model , this could be a GG normal error , i seen this on some default models where some polygons gets inverted normals in the dbo version ? ( this is a reported problem )

You say there is more then one mesh in the model, there could also be a problem with the depth buffer size , i think GG only use a 16 bit depth buffer in the current preview version , you can spot this if you see z fighting and wall decals that flicker or dont display at all ( and i do ) , and that could also be the problem here , but i did not confirm with Lee if the preview only have a 16 bit depth buffer in the current version. do it Lee ?

If you could try this model in the latest GameGuru Loader then we know if this is the GG inverted normals problem or another problem. or you could email it to me at plemsoft@plemsoft.com , and i will check it for you

edit: do the black spots flicker when you move the camera ?
Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here

Attachments

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2018 19:21
Very nice model Stab in the Dark ,got a great look and lots of detail .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2018 23:20 Edited at: 6th Jan 2018 23:23
Thanks for the comments on the model. I made it a few years ago for a modeling competition.
You had to design something original so I based it on a theory about celtic crosses actually being
a navigation device like an astrolabe. Since I am no artist I stuck to non organic, kept it simple
and made use of normal and the bump mesh feature for the base. The PBR makes it look better then
ever. I should actually design a game where you have to navigate using it.LOL

The reason I used this old model was because I already had the UV and normal maps done.
I need to test 3D Coat to see if I could keep my original normal maps which were on separate
UV maps. Surprisingly I was able to completely re UV map the model while keeping the normal
mapping and combine them all on the one UV chart. The more I use 3D Coat The better I like it.
I should probably make a video on how I did this for those wanting to update old models to PBR.

Quote: "If you zoomin in sketchfab you also get the poly lines in the center see screenshot, but they are for some reason more visible in GG."

Yes, I now realize they were more visible in GG because I had scaled the model up in GG.
I have solved this problem by increasing the padding from 1 to 6 of the uv maps upon export from 3D Coat.
I wonder if it should be more then 6 padding? I will have to keep this in mind when UV mapping so I leave
enough room between the uv islands. So this is not GG's fault. I have attached a screen shot from GG.
I have also updated the textures on Sketchfab.

I thought I had one mesh over another on the base but I was mistaken, so I do not
think its a z depth problem. Also there is no flicker. This model has 35,000 polygons so maybe it is a little
much for GG. It was originally created for rendering and not game engine optimization. It does not show in Sketchfab
so maybe it is a normal error in the dbo file. Preben I will email it to you for testing.

Attachments

Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2018 03:32 Edited at: 7th Jan 2018 13:21
Hi stab: Got the model and can confirm this is a problem with the normals.

Lee:
EDIT: checked this again , and converted the generated dbo back to .x (dbo2x astrolabe.dbo astrolabe2.x -groups) and the .x worked, so its not in the dbo itself , it must be in the GG dbo loader the problem is ? , this is related to this bug: https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/219020#msg2591034 , so still could be the missing tangent binormals ?

This is how it looks in GameGuru Loader using settings:
scenecolors$ = "morning"
includeagkskybox = 1

I now use this as my windows wallpaper it just looks so great.
Subscribe and checkout great GameGuru/AGK video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here

Attachments

GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2018 14:50
Maybe this work flow can help others, my attempt at creating a PBR smart material for 3D
Coat that uses a seamless texture with a pattern(Brick). I had trouble making the textures that are needed
to create a smart material for 3D Coat. I found a free seemless brick texture and ran it through an
open source program called Awesome Bump. Awesome Bump allows you to create all the textures
you need for PBR from your diffuse texture. You can preview and tweak them in the PBR viewport an
then export exactly what you need. I needed a cleaned diffuse and a height tex, roughness tex and a
metalness tex for 3 D Coat to create a smart material. With a little experimentation I got what appeared
to look good in 3D Coat. I then painted it on a object in 3D Coat and exported with my GG settings.
Screen shot shows the result. I think it looks ok as PBR but not 100% sure. I think Awesome bump could be a
good method for those converting old assets to the new PBR method.
Here is the link for Awesome bump.The version 4.0 I got from this link did not work for me so use 5.1.

http://awesomebump.besaba.com/

I got the latest version 5.1 from this link.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/awesomebump.mirror/

Attachments

GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2018 20:43 Edited at: 12th Jan 2018 20:44
I decided to try taking one of the default assets in GG and giving it a PBR
makeover. I kept the same normal map and did not alter the model, just
gave it a new paint job with PBR textures. The screen shot compares the 2.

Attachments

GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2018 15:49
Here is a my attempt at creating a PBR glass texture for GG.
It looks good in 3D Coat so I uploaded it to sketchfab and it looks
even better. The next hurdle is getting it in GG.

https://sketchfab.com/models/5450dc5e2a2d4b418979827d8c509736

GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2018 04:12
I have not yet had success with glass in GG yet. I think we are going to need an opacity
map and emissive map to handle this in GG.

I had some free models that are in .fbx format and needed to convert them to
.obj so I could import them into 3D Coat for texturing. I tried using the Autodesk
fbx converter but it looses the UV and smoothing groups converting to .obj.
I found an online converter that will convert fbx to obj without losing the uv and normals.
The website is free because it uses the Assimp library.
Here is the link.

http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/index.php

Also Here is a screen shot of a PBR tree I created in 3D Coat.
I created a bark and snow smart material and a brush for the lichen.

Attachments

PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 27th Jan 2018 14:08
very nice
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 11:48:30
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 11:48:30