Showcase / GameGuru Multiplayer Simulator 2017

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2017 02:35
Developer: Bugsy

Publisher: Activision

Description: This is a fully realistic simulation of what will happen when GameGuru becomes multiplayer capable. I was originally going to make it a bomb defuse mission, but let's be honest, we both know that'll never happen Get ready to experience the true extent of Gameguru Multiplayer Gameplay: poorly decorated levels, vulgar 12 year olds, laggy connections, unsatisfactory framerates, and an incredibly long unnerving wait time to connect to a server!

This was originally meant as a joke, but became more of a hardcore CQC simulation not meant for the faint of heart. the level is open ended leading to some replayability. There are no healthpacks and your health doesnt regenerate so it takes a careful operator with a cool head to succeed on this mission. See how high you can score!

Storyline: Your kill death ratio is really bad. Hop in a server and get a 15-0 killstreak. Nothing less will be tolerated

Screenshots:

Download:

Venilton Matos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2017 18:23 Edited at: 14th Dec 2017 19:47
Very good, I approved because I had so much fun. That more projects like this grow. Congratulations to Debgsy for the great GameGuru simulator.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jmbRY1SklU
PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2017 19:36 Edited at: 14th Dec 2017 19:36
Played it for a few. It's great

So more serious analysis:
The good:
I love the style, design, I actually really think you should consider making a quake 3 arena style game-guru game. Just add more characters, more levels, more weapons, and some powerups, then ship that puppy.

Loaded great, real fast. Level design was good, fun to play. Maybe could use a little more cover, broken pillars, boxes, etc.

Reshade made it pretty

Lighting was real good, as expected.

The bad(ish):
1) There's an error on the second floor viewing area:

2) Your icon is just a standard 'game guru' icon though in retrospect that could have been intentional?

3) Enemies lacked variety; I'd have personally used different 'character creator' models to give a more realistic feel

The awesome:

The middle finger and the scoreboard

Well done all around. Fun little romp.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2017 19:59 Edited at: 14th Dec 2017 20:00
thanks for the review! glad you liked.

Quote: " Maybe could use a little more cover, broken pillars, boxes, etc."

unfortunately with GG's utter inability to handle even slightly detailed scenery on a large scale, even my second (of what was planned to be many) detail passes on this map dragged frame rates even on my absolute beast of a computer to an average below 60, which I (and what should be a lot more people around here) couldn't tolerate. that detail pass included hiding the bottoms of the background overlays with other scenery. I'll definitely be doing something like your suggestion, but i'll have to figure out a roundabout way to squeeze in enough level decoration to actually make a presentable game, as at this point gameguru's capabilities to handle even something this simple are disappointing.
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2017 20:02 Edited at: 14th Dec 2017 20:10
OH its in here now lol AVE IT!!!!!!!!! Brilliant!

Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2017 16:01
I'm surprised to hear that simple obstacles gave you difficulty with respect to framerate. I haven't personally encountered that particular difficulty. Are you sure it wasn't something strange causing an issue, such as shadow calculations or light-maps throwing too much video memory out the window?

I'd make a backup of the level, fork the development into it's own bundle. Remove all lighting, strip out all extras and add clutter. See how it runs. Add to it layer by layer, saving each successful goalpost as it's own file. Then after you reach the point of lightmapping, lightmap it all and see what happens.

I've found some really weird bugs this way, things like lightmapping on decals breaking levels or specific textures/shaders breaking entire map framerates. In one case, I ran into a 3rd party terrain texture that busted a map from 60fps to 8 FPS. To this day, I still haven't figured out what caused that one other than it was the specific texture.

Anyways just some thoughts on helping you grow it.

Worst case:

Build 2-3 extra maps, add 2-3 different colors of enemies, and make it a game you can play through
Call it GG-3-Arena GOT edition
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2017 00:03
Quote: "I'm surprised to hear that simple obstacles gave you difficulty with respect to framerate. I haven't personally encountered that particular difficulty. Are you sure it wasn't something strange causing an issue, such as shadow calculations or light-maps throwing too much video memory out the window?"

this is a possibility given the map is all one object, however GG's culling system, and ESPECIALLY its AI just cant handle complex geometry.

Quote: "I'd make a backup of the level, fork the development into it's own bundle. Remove all lighting, strip out all extras and add clutter. See how it runs. Add to it layer by layer, saving each successful goalpost as it's own file. Then after you reach the point of lightmapping, lightmap it all and see what happens."

i've always been an iterative saver. lightmapping actually INCREASED fps vs. an unlightmapped level. it was the second detail pass that brought me down to the 40s then subsequent lighting pass that brought me to around the 50's and I decided to go with the original "less decorated" version that averages 70-80 for me.

Quote: "Worst case:
Build 2-3 extra maps, add 2-3 different colors of enemies, and make it a game you can play through
Call it GG-3-Arena GOT edition"

actually, what you're playing IS the worst case I may do future maps that require objectives like this or are slightly open ended, but I had to see how GG would handle not-even-10 static/dynamic light combos and let me say the result is sometimes pretty decent but often kind of weird and flashy and ugly. I am not satisfied at all with gameguru's capability to barely handle something so simple, and QUITE A BIT of unecessary extra work went in just to make the lights cause specular emission. My efforts will continue to be invested on kshatriya, i've just got music i have to make which is why I'm procrastinating.

I've also got a lot of work to do learning how to optimize my lighting properly so in the NEXT kshatriya my work on specular maps isn't wasted, but i don't have weird lights flickering on and off seen through walls so much.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2017 01:51
Of course there is a giant thing about framerates going on

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2017 18:38
frame rates: the most important numerical in an FPS game imo

Login to post a reply