3rd Party Models/Media Chat / My fog/weather/time of day system is finalllllly available :)

Author
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2017 02:06 Edited at: 27th Oct 2017 03:09
https://www.tgcstore.net/product/30361

The system isn't complete as I'd like but I got a significant amount of V2 features added so it's basically V1.5.

Capabilities:
Interpolating transitions from state to state.
* 12 basic states, 1 extra state. Extra state is heavy white 'silent hill style fog'
* 12 basic states include Several nighttime states, an early pre-dawn, dawn, golden hours, late day, sunset, blue hour and twilight states. All already configured. There's also about 12 additional commented states that offer variation on this in case you don't want to do the work of trying to determine other possibilities. Some are more blue, or more orange, etc.
* Fog cover extends to cover sun, making night look like night.
* Callable functions for your own scripts!
* Instant transitions available
* Instant weather available
* Indoor areas can use a weather stop command to prevent rain/etc indoors.
* Specific states can be selected or randomized.
* Storms operate on a probability table which is easy to modify and configure!
* A useful demo map
* Weather effects included. I improved the rain effect provided by algostep, it looks a lot more realistic now.
* Thunder effect can be added for random thunderstorms.
* During the day - Fog automatically kicks in for rainstorms. Heavier fog for thunderstorms and snow. Orange fog for dust. Light orange fog for dust at night.
* Heavily documented code for the tinkerers out there.
* Works out of the box with minimal modification, or if you want you can literally use my functions to make your OWN time of day system.
* Completely modifiable; being designed from the ground up as a function library it's rewarding to more advanced users who want to make complex systems or improvements.
* Engineered to provide smooth transitions even over longer periods of time.

Eventually I will complete a lightning module which I will offer for free. That will pretty much complete this portion of the project. Version two will be a complete rework relying on better principles and implementation but part of that is waiting for upgrades in the engine itself (such as control of sun and shadows).

Thanks for all your patience.
Johno 15
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2017 23:25
Wow! This looks amazing! I wanted to test thus a while back when you were looking people but I was away from game guru at that time, will certainly be buying this! Can't wait to dive into it!
'Judge a man not by his answers. But by his questions.'
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 15:49
Thanks Johno, let me know how it goes for you I'm still working on a demo video, unfortunately I'm having microphone issues so I can't seem to get audio working on my pc for recording. So I have a great video that I have no voice on. I need to figure out what's up there.

This bears mentioning for those who are interested:
SALE ENDS THIS FRIDAY, PICK UP YOUR COPIES SOON!
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 15:53
Just Purchased brilliant work well done
Welcome to the real world!
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-2600K @3.40GHz - 32.0GB RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 4x500GB SSD Striped
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 16:38
Ah many thanks GraPhiX!
I appreciate the support and look forward to your results. I'm *VERY* interested in seeing what other people can do with this given it's broad applicability and power over the engine.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2017 16:38
So just a quick little update here. I have gotten the lightning working by taking it off the old system I originally made years ago (using ambient lights) and put it on a straight brightness modifier. It works good and provides a nice effect.

But of particular note is that I made some refinements elsewhere.
I added a really cool specular adjustment that makes surfaces look wet when it's raining (if they have a specular map and it's set to highest texture settings). It also dulls textures during sandstorms to give it a more realistic feeling. Normal weather (snow/fog/no weather) has no change and uses standard settings. Check out some screenies:
(no rain, normal settings)

(rain, high specular)

(rain, high specular)

(rain, high specular, daytime).

I removed the shadows from the weather system on highest settings, to be honest I didn't even know they were there until I was messing with the above specular stuff. So that's fixed.

I've cleaned up the dust sprite so it looks more realistic for the weather effect; I'm still tooling with the snow one and should have that nailed down in a few days. Once that's done I'll update the system on the store. It will probably be up and running in about 5-7 days on the store. I've decided current purchasers will get an auto-upgrade to any changes I make with this.

Is there any interest in a sky + script pack? I'm thinking of putting all of my terrestrial skies (both packs) and the script into one big bundle.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2017 17:31
This looks excellent - GameGuru could do with more addons of this nature.
i5 2500k 3GB GTX1060 8GB RAM Windows 10
GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 3rd Aug 2017 18:01 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2017 18:02
That does look really good when can I get my grubby little hands on it I assume its an update or is this something else lol
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-2600K @3.40GHz - 32.0GB RAM - GeForce GTX 950 2GB - 4x500GB SSD Striped
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2017 19:59
Glad it's to your satisifaction

Sorry if I wasn't clear - if you're a purchaser of the weather/time of day system it'll be available as an update (free) to the existing code. So you'll get a new download of the bag_weatherfunc.lua file in a few days plus a few of the bolt_action_gaming/misc/*box.dds files.
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2017 00:23
Just a little video teaser. I found a fog issue I need to resolve centered around the active weather/fog system I put in recently .. nothing major just a little annoyance I can't let slide.

Everything else though you can see here will make it into production.

Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2017 03:45
Some nice work going on here.
Once we can get control of the actual sun thru scripting, then you will have a great system going. But what you have done with the shaders and scripting is awesome.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2017 19:02
Thanks Myke
System is updated as of today, 8/10.
Includes the following changes:
-- bugfixes for weather related fog and weather shadows
-- specular wet effect
-- brightness controlled lightning
-- better weather decals
-- a free thunder effect, attribution license included, must be given with any project it's used on.

Thanks and good hunting

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 10th Aug 2017 19:52
thank you for the update its absolutely brilliant
Windows 10 Pro x64 - Core i7-7700K @4.2GHz - 32GB DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1060-6G 6GB - 1TB NVe SSD
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 20:29
So I did a lot of updates to this system to bring it up to where I wanted it to be:

10/23/2017 - Secondary files updated.
Added div_int function for simple rounding and hour computation; drops the remainder.
Added additional documentation.
Cleaned up variable name for stupidloopcounter. Now called cycleloopcounter. Changed all instances to reflect this.
Added functional global time value (TODclock) which can be checked by scripted entities that look at that time for determining a global 'in game time'. Also does a 12 hour conversion to AM/PM format if chosen.
Fixed transitions to be 120 instead of 100, made the item a variable in the init section
Added comments reflecting all this.
Bugfixed lightning brightness issue.
Bugfixed issue with loop only working 11 times instead of 12 after first iteration of states.
Bugfixed time issues/TOD issues.
Tuned state colors to match time of day. Sunset is approximately 8pm. Very accurate transition.
Added a legitimate changelog, which you are currently reading

Long story short, there's a new feature in town: an actual time of day clock. This clock operates on each daily cycle to give you a clear use via global variable for other scripts such as NPCs or event driven items.

I've also done a ton of bugfixes, including some more tuning on time of day transitions. I actually sat down with my wife (who is a professional artist) for an hour and worked through the colors. Most were good, but sunset looks WAY better now. This had to happen because of the syncing of states to an actual time of day.

As a result things are a little different now, but these changes bring this to a better state of permanence and function.

I'm also going to try to get a few extra things in the next few months but for now this is effectively 'weather and time of day version 3'.

AS OF THIS TIME THERE ARE NO KNOWN BUGS.

I will also put this on sale for those of you interested in first time purchasing of the weather/time of day system. I'll try to get a video put together sometime in the next few days too. Sale will run until 11/5.

Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2017 20:38
Ok, sale's online. $9.98 until the sale runs dry on 11/5 @ 23:59.

As usual, all current owners will receive the updates done for free, all they have to do is update via store items.

warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2017 00:08
WO WO WO WO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!! No more words: Incredible job! Felicitations!
The game is a serious thing (El juego es una cosa seria)
grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2017 08:54
I don't make games with GG (or any other engine in fact) as I am rubbish at it so I just stick to model making.

However this is so good I am going to buy it just for the fun of playing with it.

Well done mate a great addition to GG.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 02:21:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 02:21:41