Work In Progress / Resist: Revolution

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2021 13:15
Thank you very much, Duchenkuke. I am looking forward to your feedback, It means a lot to me to hear from a very talented designer like you.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2021 13:24
I am having a blast man Cant wait until you finally can see the video!
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2021 16:48 Edited at: 24th May 2021 16:51
chirp chirp KAWWW chirp chirp
rustle rustle KILL HIM brrrrt brrrrt brrt

This is what R:R sounds like with its current sound design.
I can also not quite understand what made you keep the default GG heartbeat sound in the game.
But first I like to mention some positive aspects of the game.

Now I like the approach to the game. Its an FPS that drops you into a map with a set of objectives you'll have to make. It gives you a map for easy navigation and orientation and your tasks are usually the most basic (collect a laptop, kill an enemy, reach the extraction point). Even so, the game still provides you with waypoints once you are close to an objective so you seriously can not get lost.
The environments are sparce and spartan. You will see some shrubbery, the occasional tree and mostly vacant industrial types buildings to traverse. Now, usually these look pretty on point with the exception of some ruins/construction sites in the first level that look very much like assets stacked on top of each other and not like proper structures. Other than that, the game can have some visually pleasing levels. You will se a little town and some industrial/military base type areas. these are competently made but lack detail, especially if you enter a building. Solar also converted some decent unity 3d models and made some of his own media which is a welcome sight. To this date I dont understand why this is so rarely done even in decent GG projects. But alas, props to solar for taking the time!

However, my main issue with R:R is not that its simple, I welcome that as it makes it far easier to develop a good game than trying to implement all kinds of features, its more that the core elements of the game are extremely rough around the edges.

The enemies have your usual GG AI, and that together with the rapid fire hit scanning, every enemy having the same "KILL HIM!!" line when they spot you and the little reaction time you get makes combat more a chore than fun to play. this, for an fps, is a bad sign.
The guns are EAI's classic work and those have legendary status for a reason. However, there are some additions here that seem out of place and awkward. The running animation for the AK makes it seem as if the player is jumping along on one leg (you can see that in my video). The extra rustling sound added here doesn't help making things better, quite the contrary actually. Other guns are alright but could still use some better sounds and better shader maps. Still, no store or stock guns, so it has that going for it.
Sound design is a big thing about this game. There is a lot of ill fitting and very loud music and a constantly repeating ambient sound that plays in the outskirts and in the city. No ambient sfx apart from that, no enemy chatter, no nothing. There is a lot of room for improvement here.
Not a major issue, but the sound effect that plays when the player jumps is a war crime.
There are also radioactive barrels that chip away at your health. There is no indication of this, other than the player loosing health rapidly so most of the times I assumed I was being shot at. Some geiger counter SFX and maybe some HUD overlay would do nicely here.
The levels all have that sterile feeling you get from the maps out of games like Armed Assault or the first project IGI. While this is not a bad thing, I think that some little details here and there would liven things up a bit.

All in all, my take away from R:R is that its a very rough, very early release of something that could have the potential of being an enjoyable shooter if the core gameplay elements are being polished.

Here is a video of my playthrough:

Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2021 17:18
Hi Wolf! Thank you very much for taking the time to play and give feedback.

I agree that the sound design needs a lot of work, and I will definitely spend some time on this issue. Also thank you for pointing out stuff that I should polish more, it's sometimes easy to miss obvious things.

"the sound effect that plays when the player jumps is a war crime" Hehe, I really have to change that jump sound, don't I...
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2021 17:21 Edited at: 24th May 2021 17:25
Finally the first video is ready..

I agree with Wolf, sounds should be improved!
Other than that I think that the combat is really fun. I really enjoyed it!
I will be uploading more videos.

Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2021 17:45
Thank you for making the videos, Duchenkuke. Going to watch them now. Also thank you for the feedback, I highly appreciate it.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2021 17:58
youre welcome! I will upload the videos over the next week, it takes soo long...
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2021 18:22
Okay cool, Duchenkuke. I really enjoyed watching your video. Thank you very much for the compliments and feedback.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2021 19:48 Edited at: 25th May 2021 18:42
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2021 19:49 Edited at: 24th May 2021 19:50
Youre welcome! I know how important good feedback is.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2021 19:49
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2021 13:50
Okay cool. Thank you to Duchenkuke and Wolf's feedback so far. The videos are great! I will definitely take out the red screen and heartbeat effect, and also change the awful jumping sound to something better. Hehe!

I'm also working on to get the atmospheric sounds and music to have more variation and to fit the game better. That's not one of my strongpoints, so it might take a while to get that right.

Oh yes Duchenkuke, to see the objectives you have to press "o", at the start of each level there is a prompt that shows that. It's sometimes easy to miss the prompt, so I think I'll have to change that to appear in the middle of the screen.

Looking forward to more feedback and suggestion from everybody.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2021 14:11
I suggested in one of the videos that I could make music for you!
I believe I mention that in episode 4.

I would do it for free, to help you out a bit!
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2021 15:47
Oh wow! Thank you very much, Duchenkuke. I will appreciate your help very much with that, and I will give you the appropriate credit in the game as well. That is very generous of you. And if I can help you in any regard, just ask. I will always be more than willing to help you as well.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2021 16:04
Also Duchenkuke , in the third video you asked about the shotgun damage and the force effect on the enemies. What I did was in the gunspec file I made the damagetype = 2, and I set the damage = 60. I think damagetype = 2 gives the force effect, rather than using force = 40 or whatever. I don't know why that is exactly the case, might be one of the famous GG quirks. Hehe!

But yeah, it seems like damagetype = 2 in conjunction with a higher damage level gives the weapons a real punch!
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2021 16:09 Edited at: 25th May 2021 16:10
haha nice!

I used the shotgun more in the next video!
I am currently uploading again!

I will also send a custom made audio track soon.
Maybe I will start with it today or sometime this week.I sent you a friend request on discord. I could send you the files there more easily.

BTW: I thought of something like a background military/special agent theme.. idk how i am gonna do it but I will try to find something that fits.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2021 17:55
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2021 22:12
Alright Solar

I have made a piece of Music for your game.
I tried to give it a bit of an IGI / Special Agent theme.
For my game I create a much different type of music so I hope this is useful!

If you dont use it, thats perfectly fine. Just let me know what you think!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2021 23:02
Hi Duchenkuke, the track is absolutely awesome and perfect! Thank you so very much! I will definitely use it, and also give you the credit in the game.

This fits so perfectly, just what I was looking for. Thank you once again for all your help, my friend.

Oh yes, I noticed towards the end of the fourth video, that you were surprised by the sudden ending of the level, and I realized that I made a mistake with the triggering of the end zone. I must look at the script again, so that the second objective must first be achieved before the end zone gets triggered. My mistake, and thanks to you I realized that error on my part.

Also you mentioned the atmosphere throughout that reminded you of STALKEr Soc, and yes. that was a big motivation for getting the coloring (palette) and texture wise to be unified. Down to the slight fog, the distancing of trees (quite sparse but grouping wise) and choice of ground and foliage color. Even games like Escape from Tarkov and as you rightly mentioned *fear the wolves". I cannot remember how many screenshots I took of those games, and compared it to my own levels' screenshots, and then go back at tweak my textures, fog, spacing, etc. to get more or less the same feeling as those legendary games. Not that I can even compare to them, but at least it's a way to get close to a unifying look for ma game.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2021 23:31
haha I know the feeling!

Dont know if you played Dark Skies yet, but i took a LOT if inspiration of STALKER too.. basically Dark Skies is my own little version of stalker..^^

Glad you like the Music! I can make more if you want sometime soon! Also maybe try to replace the weapon sounds like wolf said.
I want this project to become even better! It was a blast to play. I will upload the last video tomorrow.
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2021 23:42
Oh and I forgot to add, one thing that I got a lot of inspiration from, was watching your awesomely impressive project DARK SKIES: THE NEMANSK INCIDENT and the way that you used desaturated textures, fog and ambiance to bring a whole scene together with great effect. I want to suggest to everybody to hop on over to DK Productions' YouTube channel and see what he has achieved, truly a masterpiece and an inspiration to us all. I was awestruck with the Dynamic Sky Test video you made. You are truly an inspiration to us all.

One thing I noticed in GameGuru, and especialy a daylight scene what I tried to achieve, was that I used a lot of desaturated textures for a realistic worn down and unifying effect. But I also noticed that if I increased the bloom, it brings out the natural colours as well, so you get a desaturated unifying effect witch is still very colorful but in a natural way. (I know it sounds crazy. Hehe!) The only drawback is that unfortunately, the skybox gets a lot of bloom saturation. I don't think there's a way around that at the moment, the GameGuru engine is just like that sometimes. Interestingly enough, I have noticed the exact same thing happen to some STALKER mods sometimes as well, if I remember correctly.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2021 23:51
Haha oh yes, I played all three STALKERS, and some of the mods too.

I absolutely love the track you made me, and if you have time you can maybe make me one more, I will definitely use it. But there is no rush, only if if and when you have the time, my friend. I am looking forward to the last video, and once again, thank you for all the help and everything. I am eternally grateful.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2021 07:56
Thank you very much for the kind words! This is really motivating )

Speaking of mods, I played autumn aurora the most.. For me its the perfect shooter. For years I tried to get gameguru to look somewhat similar and with a lot of learning and with help from the wonderful community, I actually sort of achieved that!

Here is the last episode of my playthrough! It was great fun to play and I am really looking forward to whats next for it!
Also I thought of maybe changing the skybox in the levels more often would make the levels feel more individual. But thats up to you of course! There are many things that can be worked on and I will happily test again in the future!

Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2021 10:22
Thanks once again for everything, Duchenkuke. Glad you enjoyed playing the game. I'll make some necessary changes and keep you all updated soon.
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2021 13:41
Hey Solar!

I have another Track ready for your project!
Check it out
I hope you like it ?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2021 14:53
Hi Duchenkuke! This sounds really great, I love it!

Thank you very much, my friend.
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 13:05:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 13:05:35