Work In Progress / Resist: Revolution

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2017 00:27
Quote: "Who deliberately makes roads like this .. God and Solar it seems ."

Have to agree ,own up Solar what’s the secret .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2017 01:25
I was figuring he just had road-line terrain textures going 2 different ways, and sprays it on... if I am wrong I am VERY interested then.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2017 07:31
Yeah thought that too. Very cool though.
You know you watched too many of Lee's Live Brodcasts when you're at work and have an earwig from his twitch intro music....

By the way, I am a Modder, Soundtrack Composer and now Game Developer. Well, sort of.

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti
Find some my work onYoutube:
(Music Channel) The German Music Dude: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeutscherVolker
(Games and Mods Channel ) DK Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIqwvScXnJL_zNYqSsfTCqA

Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2017 11:36
Hi Wolf, Landman, Belidos, Synchromesh, Granada, Duchenkuke and Bugsy!

Thank you all for the good comments. I really appreciate it!

To all who was wondering how I did the roads, Bugsy is indeed correct! I simply made two similar road-line terrain textures going 2 different ways, one going horizontal and the other going vertical, that I put in position 2 and 3 of the terrain palette. Then I simply spray the roads on the map. The only drawback with this is that the roads must go in straight lines, if you try to do curves going left or right it looks a bit weird.
PM
=VX=Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2017 00:57
Looks very good, reminds me of Dayz
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2017 05:50
Thank you very much, =VX=Doggy!
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 2nd Oct 2017 05:56
Ah I thought it was terrain at first because it fut so well, but when I saw the texture in two direction I thought OK it can't be because you can't choose texture directions, makes sense now. Looks really good.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2017 05:56
It has a very realistic, non GameGuru look and feel to it - really well done.
i5 2500k 3GB GTX1060 8GB RAM Windows 10
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2017 06:16
Thank you very much, Belidos and Gtox!
PM
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 30th Oct 2017 08:55
Solar. Ek like dit baie. Dis goed gedoen.

Solar. I love it. Your work is done very well. I like your models that you use , it fits the scene well. Nice models that you can use in the day time, and not to need to hide it in the dark. Well done.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2017 12:29
@PCSKILLER - Baie dankie!

Thank you very much! Making a game that takes place outdoors in the day time is truly a bit easier than indoors or night scenes.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2017 14:11
Hi GameGuru peoples!

I'm busy working on a small little island level that plays off in the rain. For the rain I used Devcore35's awesome RainboxV4.

I think it gives a nice atmosphere!

Hop you enjoy the video!

PM
Bolt Action Gaming
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 17:37
Really solid design.
I like the trick you used for the road lines. I thought about doing a similar thing with my road terrain but opted against. Primarily because you can only run the lines in one direction I prefer VA's road line decals. But still, it's good if you're clever, which you clearly are.

My only real thing I'd add here would be I'd use the spray tool to spray down some regular plants to add some variety here and there. The grasses are ok, but they are really monotonous.

I'd also put some more clutter near the buildings themselves.

Example:

or if you prefer trash:

Beyond that, not much I can offer you. You have a pretty solid setup here and the level design is really good. It looks like a lot of hours were spent on this.
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2017 19:21
@Bolt Action Gaming

Hi, and thank you very much for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Thanks also for the clutter and vegetation tips. I agree, I should put some more clutter and a bigger variety of foliage around the buildings in my levels. I just hope my graphics card can handle the extra polys!
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2017 22:56
Just a quick screenshot of a level I'm working on, that I tested in the new DX11 version.

And oh yeah, I modified the radar model so that the antenna actually rotates!

In the coming week, I will hopefully finish this level, and then make a demo level out of it so that the GameGuru people can play it, and give me some valuable feedback.

Can somebody please give me some info about where and how to host my demo level, so people can download it?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 13:17
25 fps is not good for a shooter.. you may need to work on that ! Just a friendly advice
Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti
https://sites.google.com/view/dkproductions

Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 15:34
@Duchenkuke

Yeah, I had everything on max settings and my graphics card is a puny GT740. On medium settings I get between 40-60 fps.
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 16:42
i'm excited then!!!!

host it on google drive.
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 16:59
@ Bugsy

Thank you Bugsy, I will give google drive a go!
PM
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 18:52
stunning images here
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link | Patreon - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GTX 960
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2017 19:48
Thank you very much, Teabone!
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2017 23:45 Edited at: 13th Dec 2017 01:32
Hi GameGuru people!

Here is a link to download a demo of one of my levels. (I also edited the first post to show the link.)

I hope you people will enjoy playing it, as much as I enjoyed making it. Also, please let me know what your thoughts are on this, any tips on improvement, feedback etc. will be highly appreciated.

Resist Demo 1:

(PS. - Press the "M" key to see the objectives map)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gVJfQE8gCwRfoQRGHdrU8X_aBRH2PCYG
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 04:54 Edited at: 13th Dec 2017 05:32
downloading now! will leave a detailed review.

edit- my review:

This game was 10 pristine minutes of good ole fashioned wholesome fun. I wish gameguru was more capable in the ways of producing pretty graphics, and then it would've looked like bad company 2. what I got was exactly what I expected: a free roaming romp with well thought out objectives and enemy placements and sensible health regen/checkpointsystem!! I really liked it, I want to play more. I wonder how many levels of this gameguru is capable of building into one game.

what it was missing was any sort of level detail and lighting. this isn't your fault, gameguru couldn't possibly handle it. this game ran at 20 FPS for me on highest, but on lowest it managed to average around 40, jumping all around from 20 to 60. I think the issue is that not much is culled and the map is very "open field" so when you look in a certain direction framerates drop a lot, this makes some battles very annoying. GRAPHICALLY the game still managed to look REALLY picturesque in some places, but I think that you could have increased framerates by perhaps creating a foggier area or a more vertical area, or in any way to hide a decreased draw distance. as it was, the drawdistance was huge, but that made for some pretty vistas.

another thing I needed was some more sounds. music, voices, ambience, etc. I never once knew there was an objectives map and rather just played by walking to the numbers. worked fine that way but it was slightly jarring with no initial voiceover telling me what to do or at least something to read.

this was a very interesting game, and I love the way your objectives are laid out and necessary to win. you should show me how to do that!!

I also thought that the explorable buildings and houses should have rewards for players who go looking through them! I would have loved to find a new gun on in one of the rooms, or perhaps more ammo, or grenades. also, can you use the grenade launcher? I didn't know how or if i could.

all in all, great job!!
This reminds me a lot of my first GG game, Running Around. I'd really love it if you'd play that and let me know what you thought of it!!
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 10:50
@ Bugsy

Thank you very much for the detailed review , compliments and valuable feedback. I highly appreciate it.

I will definitely address the issue of adding more audio/ and a notification for the objectives map, at the start of the level. Maybe have a prompt that comes up at the start of the level that tells the player to "Press M for Objectives".

Regarding the objectives layout and how I did it, what I will do is make a tutorial in the Scripts Thread, and share the scripts that I made with all of you GameGuru people.

Yes, you can use the grenade launcher by pressing the "V' key, to change fire modes.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback, and I will definitely try out your game and share my thoughts.
PM
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
This is outstanding.

If you are one of those people who think you can't make a game with Game Guru, well you need to try this. It looks real, feels real, plays like I'm in a real place.

If you don't like shooting the bad guys, then just sit by the waters edge soaking up the views it so relaxing.

I can't add to what Bugsy put, he has hit on all the main points.

What's even more amazing is the whole game size is a little over 1GB and Video ram used is well under the 2GB of my card.

I'm getting good FPS for my computer 10 to 20 on low setting at 720p trust me thats good.

Great work, and thanks for sharing with us.

Quote: "Regarding the objectives layout and how I did it, what I will do is make a tutorial in the Scripts Thread, and share the scripts that I made with all of you GameGuru people"

Yes Please.

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 14:34
@ 25-WATTS

Thank you very much for the good comments. Much appreciated! I'm glad that you enjoyed playing this demo, it motivates me to hear that.

I agree with you that GameGuru is a very good engine, and is capable of making good games. A lot of GG users are trying to prove the naysayers wrong, and I think we will do that.

It is also heartening to hear that the level does not consume so much Video ram.

Regarding the objectives layout tutorial, I will try to get it up on the script board soon, maybe a bit later in the week or over the weekend.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 19:47
I gave this a spin! The presentation was very clean and it reminded me of all the neat military shooters of yesteryear. Back when you didn't have a ton of in-the-way gimmicks and AI allies to deal with. I liked that! Just me, a gun and increasingly harder objectives.

There is a certain warfare feel to it, I can not quite put my finger on as to why and a lot of other games that tried to pull this off failed. I think its in the choice of models, the understated naturalistic ambience and your choice of washed out colors. The fact that there are longer stretches without enemies helps a lot to build tension. Especially since they sometimes run at you through the foliage.

The whole objectives thing was clear, despite no in-game introduction as to who or why but I suppose this will be added later. It took me a while to figure out the whole "out of breath" thing. You can hear some static in it so I assumed I was in an irradiated area or something but very cool feature!

The weapons are neat, I appreciate that you took the time to get the shaders working on them. Its a very nice looking showcase of a visually appealing GG game all in all!

Framerates wheren't great on my laptop but that is to be expected. After some sightseeing I have activated "low frame rate mode" to play the actual game and I found it enjoyable. However, it was also way too easy.... the game presents itself as if it would turn out to be tougher. I liked that fact that I had a few hundred grenaders for the launcher! Thihi!

The leveldesign is very minimalistic. You used the exact amount of models and media you would need for this type of level and feel. No more, no less. I do however concur with Bugsy that some variety or stuff in the enter able buildings would be neat.

Notes: Most players might not notice this but the AK and the Scar have rather different walking animations. // Some walls in the town area are not aligned properly // one of these shed buildings was pitch black for me. // you can see a bullet stick out of the magazine when you reload the AKM.

This is definately a project I'd love to see a full release of!

-Wolf
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2017 20:33
@ Wolf.

Thank you very much for reviewing my demo game and the valuable feedback you gave me, I highly appreciate it.

Haha! I must figure out how to lower the number of grenades, but maybe one can never have enough grenades in war!

I will definitely add some sort of intro to the level, and a message at the start that says "press M for objectives map".

Also, thank you for the good comments you made and pointing out some of the other issues, I will definitely have a look at them.

@ Everybody who asked me and is interested in my Objectives System, I posted a tutorial thread on the Scripts board with the LUA scripts included. Feel free to use them and modify them as you like.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2017 19:48
Hi everybody!

For anyone interested in gaining some valuable FPS in my Demo, I found that if you disable the lightrays you can score an extra 5 to 10 fps'. Maybe even more!

To do this, just open up the visuals file and set lightraymode, length, decay and quality all to zero.

I didn't realize that lightrays had such an enormous impact on performance, so there you go!
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2018 21:20
Here's two quick videos that I made to show my new Infantry Squad Moving System!

Now I can have squad allies that move with you in a life-like formation.

They don't fire on enemy troops yet, but I'm working on the scripts to try and simulate some gunfire, at least.

Notice on the different movements of the squad in the two videos, it brings a real life-like element to the game.

PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2018 09:05
Your stuff is awesome.
@TheGermanMusicDude @DK_Productions My "Website"

Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2018 10:43
@ Duchenkuke - Thank you very much!
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2018 12:50
Hi Game Guru people!

For those who was wondering if this project is still going on, yes it is!

I am unfortunately not able to work on it currently, due to severe financial constraints.

But as soon as I have funds again, I'm going to finish this project!
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2018 13:25
Its okay, you can just say "I'm broke"
Errant AI
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2018 22:46
Really nice looking game. The squad mechanics are great.
Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3, Intel Core i7 2600K (passmark 8555), 16GB Corsair DDR3, EVGA GTX 970 SC (passmark 8637), Win10 Pro 64-bit, Primary monitor @ 1920x1080, secondary monitor @ 1280x1024
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2018 08:00
@Wolf: Haha! Yeah, something like that!

@Errant AI: Hi Errant AI, thank you very much for the compliments. I'm a huge fan of your work.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2018 12:25
Now that the monster update is here, I tested a quick nature scene in the DX11 version, and it looks quite good!

I love the new water fx and settings!

Attachments

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2019 23:35
Hi GG people!

Just want to let you know that the project is still going on.

I am in the process of redoing a lot of the textures and foliage for the game.

I'm trying to make it look as good as possible...

Attached are some new screenies to show the new textures.

Attachments

PM
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2019 20:37
This is looking great, definitely an environment I look at and want to jump right in and explore! Are you using Duckenkuke's cheeky technique for getting multiple grass types in one level?

The screenshots look weirdly low resolution though, were you on a laptop?

AE
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2019 22:59
The low resolution and odd water shader are strange but it seems to shape up well
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2019 07:49
@ Avenging Eagle and Wolf,

Hi guys, thank you for your feedback, regarding the low res, I think it might be due to me still using DX9 version and not turning on the bloom effect and thus no AA effect utilised.

Regarding the grass, I considered using Duchenkuke's technique, because it looks so good, but I basically just layered three or four different grass types onto one single grass texture, to simplify the process.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2019 15:40
Quote: "I think it might be due to me still using DX9 version and not turning on the bloom effect and thus no AA effect utilised."

I see! I think I know what is going on. Try opening your setup.ini and make sure you have "disabledynamicres" set to 1. GG can not run while you are doing this.
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2019 17:56
Ah, I see now. Thank you, Wolf.
PM
osiem80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2019 15:23
Are theese real russian words on the board?
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2019 17:02
Hi osiem80.

It's just a place holder words that I got from Google translate, until I come up with a cool sounding name for the village.

It's supposed to say small village, but I don't know if I got it spelled right. Hehe.

I'm open for suggestions for a name for the village, if anyone can give me some ideas, I will be grateful.

In other news - I have been busy with optimisation of the level, by playing around with the camera distance. I managed to get the cam distance down to about 12, and the framerate has increased significantly. Also got the fog setting just right to mask the transition.

Another thing that I did was to decrease the tree and foliage textures sizes by about 50% and deleted the animations from the models. Also decreased their LOD ranges.

All this helps me to save some valuable framerates.

PM
Defy
Years of Service
User Offline
Great looking project.
All the best with development.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2019 06:33
Thank you, Defy.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2019 21:03 Edited at: 26th May 2019 21:10
Hi GG people!

Here's some gameplay vids of my new level I'm working on. I added some nice atmospheric effects with a stormy skybox, fog, lightrays, a little bloom and some misty raindrop effect.

Sorry for the crappy vid quality, I uploaded them with my mobile.

Hope you enjoy!

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2019 21:16

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2019 10:54 Edited at: 27th May 2019 10:55
It looks fantastic but … ( without intending to put a downer on it )
Can I assume your wearing Goggles or something as in reality you wouldn't have a glass screen in front of you or that wouldn't happen with just open eyes ?

So glad your continuing this though
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:50:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:50:11