Work In Progress / Resist: Revolution

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2017 19:34 Edited at: 22nd May 2021 15:11
Developer: Solar

Storyline: "In the near future, a group of revolutionaries are attempting to overthrow a small country. It is up to you as a loyalist fighter, to eliminate the threat to the democracy of your homeland."

Description: This game will incorporate a lot of stealth, where the use of cover will be more important than running in with all guns blazing. The game will be mission driven, where the player must infiltrate, sabotage and disrupt enemy bases, camps and supply lines

Here is a link to a playable demo of Resist Demo 1:

(PS. - Press the "O" key to see the objectives map)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CrJ7ZGC0bS_22Ple6nhxb6MJBzXZ0_KH/view?usp=sharing

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2017 20:08
Here are some more screenshots. (Forgot to add them in the first post. Still learning how to post images.)

Attachments

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2017 21:29
Its always nice to see a new project that looks promising
You are using a lot of highpoly trees though. I hope your framerate is okay.

-Wolf
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2017 22:10
Hi Wolf.

Thank you for the positive reply.

Yeah, the trees are quite a framerate killer. On high settings, the average fps are about 20 - 25. On medium setting I get constantly over 30 fps though.

I guess I should use more low poly trees for distant scenes, on the hills, etc. This map is still very much in alpha stage, so there is a fair amount of optimization for me to do still.

I also found that the EBE buildings I made kills the framerate a bit as well. It's a pity because the EBE editor is such an amazingly powerful tool, yet super easy to use.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2017 18:39
Just a little update:

Features implemented:

1. Objectives position indicator will be displayed on screen. Represented on screen by [1], [2], [3] etc. (See attached screenshots.)

2. Pressing TAB in-game will bring up a screen showing the mission details, objective description and a satellite image of the map.

Here are some more screenshots attached of my progress of the first level.

Attachments

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2017 02:23
This looks a whole lot like Arma2. I mean that as a very good thing. Certainly intersted to see how this will turn ou!
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2017 09:05
This look really nice, Solar, keep it up

Quote: "Pressing TAB in-game will bring up a screen showing the mission details, objective description and a satellite image of the map"

I have something similar in my game. I've found that, because TAB brings up the sliders in test game, I've had to temporarily set it to CAPS while I build each level, then modify the lua script after compiling.

AE
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2017 11:10 Edited at: 19th Jul 2017 19:08
Hi Wolf.

Thank you for the great compliment. The look and feel I'm going after is definitely influenced by Arma2. I just love the level design in that game. Also the Arma2 DayZ Mod is excellent in that regard.

Once again, thank you for the positive comments, it really keeps me motivated and inspired.

++

Hi Avenging Eagle.

Thank you very much! The positive replies really keeps me motivated.

Haha, yes! I have to do the same thing when I test the levels in the editor. I have the m key assigned to the script when I test, and after compiling I change it to the tab key.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2017 21:15
Hi Game Guru people!

Got some more screenshots of a new level I've been working on. It features some farm buildings, a small military camp and a radio station.

Attachments

PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 03:52
This looks awesome, but a frame rate of 25 can be quite the killer. I'd suggest using billboard trees in the background, less EBE buildings, and (unfortunately) mostly linear gameplay, or the illusion of choice. Get that frame rate to 60 and I'll be really excited for this.
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 12:07
Hi Bugsy.

Thank you for the good compliment and the useful suggestions. I've been busy optimizing the levels as I go along, and am happy to say that I've got the framerate up into the lower to middle fifties now.

I suppose I can rebuild some of the EBE buildings into entity buildings by using fragmotion, but it's just a pity because the EBE creator is awesome. A person can throw together an awesome looking building in a couple of minutes with the EBE creator, where the same thing would take me at least an hour or two using a 3D modeling program.

Regarding the linear gameplay, you are quite right. I suppose with careful planning and level design, an open sandbox "feel" can be simulated though.

I also think that with the DX11 conversion that Lee is busy with, that Game Guru will deliver a bit more solid framerates in the future.

PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 20:59
Quote: "A person can throw together an awesome looking building in a couple of minutes with the EBE creator, where the same thing would take me at least an hour or two using a 3D modeling program."

This REALLY depends on your skill level with a 3d software. I would sooner make a 3d mesh of a building one-handed than I would use the EBE for pretty much anything.

good to hear about the frame rate. That's what I really like to see, FPS getting higher as progress goes on. That means you care

Quote: "I also think that with the DX11 conversion that Lee is busy with, that Game Guru will deliver a bit more solid framerates in the future. "

Think what you will but the one thing in life almost as guaranteed as death and taxes for me thus far is that TGC products will run at low frame rates regardless of what directX they use
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2017 22:31 Edited at: 25th Jul 2017 22:36
Keep in mind that we don't know what hardware Solar has going, that affects framerate a lot.

Note that single player games don't need to run as smooth as competitive multiplayer games but they still need to perform well (on mid tier systems) to be enjoyable.

Here is a tutorial.

Even if you are inspired by Arma2, don't be inspired by its fps performance at launch

-Wolf
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2017 13:39
@ Bugsy:

Haha, yeah. The framerate issue will always be a problem, I guess.

Regarding modelling: I'm an average modeler at best, so it takes me a bit longer to kick out a half decent looking model. Although I must say that Fragmotion is awesome and very easy to use. Wings 3D is very easy to use too.

@ Wolf:

Thank you for the link to your tutorials on optimization. It's very informative and I have learned quite a few things from them. I found the post you did on lightmapping very interesting.

I've got an Asus GT740 GPU running on a I3 system, with 8G DDR3 Ram on board. I guess it's not the best graphics card for game development, I'll have to save up for a better card in the near future, I guess.
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2017 20:59
TBH that's not a very awesome computer these days by a mile, so I'd assume I'd be getting frame rates well into the 60s. I'm excited to give this a try.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2017 16:32
Probably out of the question for your computer currently, but I'd love to see a video of this level in action!

AE
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2017 21:43
@ Bugsy:

Yeah, I think I'll have to upgrade my whole rig soon.

@ Avenging Eagle:

I haven't tried recording the level with FRAPS yet, so I'm not sure what the quality level will be currently. I'll give it a shot over the weekend, otherwise I'll have to wait until my rig is upgraded.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2017 23:26
Okay, here's a short video of the one level that I'm working on at the moment.

For some reason the video doesn't have audio. I'm still figuring out the video editor.

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2017 23:31
Lol!

I just realized that the videos actually have sound, my volume was just muted. Doh!

Here's another one showing the sabotage mission.

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2017 23:33 Edited at: 30th Jul 2017 18:13
And the third one shows some explosions!

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2017 12:31
Some more screenshots.

This level features a harbor and a small factory. Also some screenshots of the baddies!

(Could the mods please change the title of the thread to "Resist", please. There is already a startup with the same name "Resist: Revolution" in development.)

Attachments

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2017 21:22
I spent a bit of time changing the color-palette of the scenery. Got a bit of a better balance between the green and brown colors for the foliage and the grass.

Looks a bit more natural, I hope.

Attachments

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2017 23:53
The last couple of days I have been working on a small town scene. Here are some pics.

Attachments

PM
Gtox
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2017 06:04
Lovely screenshots. Some anti-aliasing and it'll be just about perfect.
i5 2500k 3GB GTX1060 8GB RAM Windows 10
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2017 12:13
Thank you, Gtox.

Yep, I will play around a bit with FXAA to get some anti-aliasing going.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2017 18:17 Edited at: 7th Aug 2017 18:21
Some screenshots of an industrial factory scene I'm busy working on.

I also only now figured out that for the FXAA anti-aliasing to work, you have to set the bloom to any value except zero.

So what I did was to set the bloom to 1, that way it doesn't have an impact on the performance but still have FXAA.

Attachments

PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2017 23:01
I like it, but I'm going to need some explaination of the world. I see christian churches next to signs in arabic, containers under tents, and then signs in russian??

where is this place, what is going on there, why are you there?
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2017 23:12
I made two short videos.

The first one is a foliage test where a brush sound is played as you run through the bushes.

The second one is just playing around with the idea of drive-able vehicles. What I did was I modified Smallg's vehicle gunner script a bit and added the vehicle sounds from Devcore35's Drive Car Pack v1.1 It works surprisingly well, only problem is there is no collision, so you can drive through buildings, etc. So unfortunately, I don't think drie-able vehicles will be in the final game.

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2017 23:33
Hi Bugsy.

Okay, the signs in arabic is from the original models that I haven't gotten around to editing yet. I must still change those textures to be in russian, seeing that the game will play off in a small fictional ex-soviet Eastern European country. Thank you for pointing this out to me, I will correct that soon.

As far as the containers under the tents go, those "tents" are supposed to be metal roofed sheds in a factory environment. I retextured the stock tents to look like sheds, but I guess I have to model better looking ones.

As far as the game goes, you play as a loyalist fighter that fights against a renegade group of revolutionists that is trying to overthrow the democraticaly elected government.

You will be tasked to go on various missions such as sabotaging, infiltrating and eliminating of enemy targets. Those missions will be taking place at various locations such as factories, army camps, small villages, etc.

I want the game to be mission driven, yet open-level style like Arma2. I believe something like this can be achieved in GameGuru.
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2017 02:07
well good luck to you, what I see is already pretty impressive, and reminds me of arma 2
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2017 10:18
Thank you very much, Bugsy.
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2017 23:31
Here's some screenshots of a coastal town that I'm almost finished with.

I decided to use more models for the houses and buildings, to keep the framerate down. I was surprised with the many good quality house and building models in the store. There are some really good modellers here at GameGuru.

I'm really starting to love GameGuru and the way it allows you to easily put a level down. I would have never dreamed of making a game like this, but GameGuru makes it possible. Thank you Lee and the GameGuru people!

Attachments

PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm really starting to love GameGuru and the way it allows you to easily put a level down."

It does help if your a natural terrain sculptor as well for that realistic natural look which it seems you are ...
Your environments are really amazing ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2017 11:51
Hi Synchromesh.

Thank you very much for the compliment. GameGuru is awesome. It really makes it very easy to make natural looking terrain very quickly. I don't think that there's another games engine out there that allows for suck quick and easy results that GameGuru delivers.
PM
=VX=Doggy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2017 05:31 Edited at: 13th Aug 2017 05:32
Good Job so far Solar , oh Bugsy who is this guy? :p

Attachments

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2017 17:38
Thank you, =VX=Doggy!
PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2017 22:34
@VX DOGGY

civilian late in the game you can kill. Kshatriya Prologue. Model is real quickly made but texture is me
PCS
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 19:41
Solar, your work is very nice, do you make all your models yourself.?
i like the look so far off your game.

Ps. nice to see another RSA GameGuru user.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.3GHz RAM 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 730
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2017 21:03
Hi PCSKILLER.

Thank you very much. Most of the models I got from the GameGuru store and freebies from around the forums. I'm not a great modeler, but what I do is I change some of the models and their textures to fit the overall look and color-pallet of my game.

Oh yeah, it's great to see another RSA'er on the forum!

PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2017 01:03
Hi GameGuru people!

Been a while since I posted an update. I'm currently working on a big town level, where your mission will be to eliminate enemy combatants and secure key areas.

Oh yeah, I've been looking to include some allies as well, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get a good ally script going. So what I'm doing is to have my allies start with me on the map, and then just follow individual waypoints. It looks pretty good, except they're not actually fighting but that's okay for now. I just wish I could get them to stop at the end of the waypoint, instead of them turning around and heading back home. Cowards! Hehe!

Here are some screenies!

Attachments

PM
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2017 01:44
Looking good, I'd like to see more variance in colour scheme, like in earlier screenshots. you could be picking up the idyllic blues, reds, and greens of the country side but it instead just falls flat to a greenish brown. try to accentuate blues in your shadows and reds in your highlight colours from the ambiance and surface values. I love how big the map looks, I'd just like to see it pop a little better.
PixelF
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2017 05:16
Reminds me of PUBG
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2017 12:48
Hi Bugsy!

Thank you for the feedback. I guess I need to put in a bit more colors int the textures. What I tried to do was to give the scenery a more natural and blended look by de-saturating the textures, but I think I might have over done it a bit. Once again, thank you very much for your input, it helps me a lot and I really appreciate it.

Hi PixelF!

Thank you very much. I like the look and feel of ARMA2 and also PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. That is what inspired me and is basically the look I'm going for with this game. If it reminds people of those games then I guess I might just be on the right track, I hope!
PM
Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2017 18:35
I made some new action videos!

Hope you enjoy!

PM
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2017 18:43
This looks really cool ! Good Work.
You know you watched too many of Lee's Live Brodcasts when you're at work and have an earwig from his twitch intro music....

By the way, I am a Modder, Soundtrack Composer and now Game Developer. Well, sort of.

Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, Geforce GTX 1050ti
Find some my work onYoutube:
(Music Channel) The German Music Dude: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeutscherVolker
(Games and Mods Channel ) DK Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIqwvScXnJL_zNYqSsfTCqA

Solar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2017 22:45
Thank you very much, Duchenkuke!
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2017 01:58
You really have a way to capture that armed assault feel! Very impressive.
SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 30th Sep 2017 09:33 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 14:20
Aside from your level design being top notch, the way you've incorporated the sounds gives it a battlefield-ish atmosphere. It reminds me of some epic town shoot outs from Arma 3.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 30th Sep 2017 11:57
Looks really good, kind of feels like it's trying to be a single player king of the kill, but does look really nice.

Can I ask, how did you do the roads with lines? I'm assuming they must be models because the terrain system won't do that, but they match the curves of the land so well it's hard to tell.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2017 17:04 Edited at: 1st Oct 2017 08:09
I still cant get over the natural look of the terrain ...
I mean seriously .... Who deliberately makes roads like this .. God and Solar it seems .. Best natural features I have seen in a map so far

The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:23:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:23:35