Product Chat / Rendering Engine Overhaul - Get Ready For DirectX 11

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2017 15:00
Jupp! I'm sure we have just the right members in our community to get places with the DX11 upgrade
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 29th May 2017 14:12
Quote: "wizard of id: Everything is possible when we get that DX11 boost , thats the main thing (FPS) if we can get a proper boost we can also add all those goodies people expect. I dont expect a huge FPS boost in the first DX11 GameGuru release but, im sure we can make everything run much much faster in DX11, so it will also be possible to add all those extra great effects"

My issue isn't DX11 or features, my issue is that once you moved over to DX11 and add those features you going to pretty much wipe out any sort of performance gains in a blink of an eye if you don't make proper use of more then one CPU core, FPSC, gameguru, X10 all pretty much relied on a single CPU core, so unless there is a push to support for additional cores especially with things like game logic, lua and AI and some graphics moving over to the CPU and taking the load off the GPU, we will be seeing no gains whatsoever regardless of what version and features are added.

Most system these days have at least 4 cores or 2 cores with HT, with ryzen being released it will not be long before 6 even 8 cores become the mainstream CPU users have. It has always been the reason for gameguru to run badly, while most game engines don't scale beyond 4 cores any ways, I definitely would like to see the load reduced from the GPU to at least 70% - 80% in a decent sized level.

Win7 64bit----iCore5 4590 @ 3.7GHZ----AMD RX460 2gb----16gig ram
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2017 22:13
I was wonder myselft too about system cores handle, when had readed:
Quote: "All A.I calculations now moved to a second core for improved performance"

Afaik windows use multicore by default if needed, should I guess GG will do the same?, does GG will enable cores as needed, silently ?
Or should the user deal with disable or enable CPU Core parking, if needed?

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
cpu mark: 10396.6
2d graphics mark: 947.9
3d graphics mark: 8310.9
memory mark 2584.8
Disk mark: 1146.3
Passmark rating: 3662.4

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2017 23:27
Wait? I thought multi -core support was the main point in doing this?
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 00:32
Quote: "Wait? I thought multi -core support was the main point in doing this?"

Me to, i thought this was the whole point.maybe Lee will jump in here to let us no if this will come with the upgrade to DX11.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 02:24
Quote: "Wait? I thought multi -core support was the main point in doing this?"
It's not DX11 code per say that needs to be added, but more so the engine it self that needs to delegate tasks, while DX11 makes it possible to use all cores. Games don't in general scale particular massively over multi core setups, Some games that support more then 4 cores, and pitting 4 cores against 8 cores, the increases in FPS is minimal at best.

Both unity and unreal use default 4 cores, at most bar some things on the game creation side like light maps or path finding calculation.The reason for this is that if you were to spread the load over 8 CPU's all threads need to sync up in order to render a frame for example, and that is where it gets tricky especially for lee, in having to make sure all frames are sync, with audio, image, models, animations, ect so it's only as fast as the slowest thread on the CPU.

DX11 definitely makes things easier, but the API it self isn't going to delegate workload all on it's own, it's still some thing that has to be delegated engine side.It's doubtful that it will be in the first version, more so in future versions, as that is really as much work as DX11 it self.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 10:11
I notice when I play fear 3 only 4 cores are used on my comp the rest are parked.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 11:32
The primary purpose of the Engine Overhaul is to replace DirectX 9 with DirectX 11, and optimize the graphics pipeline along the way. This will improve rendering speed and loading times, and open up the door for more advanced graphics techniques such as PBR and similar. Multi-core is a separate conversation, but it's true that I'll be looking at this during the upgrade to see how best to take advantage of DirectX 11's ability to farm out CPU side work to multiple cores (a traditional bottleneck for a single core solution). GameGuru (or indeed any application) doesn't suddenly get multi-core by switching something ON, you have to break down your tasks into discrete chunks that are happy to run in parallel during the execution of your game cycles and carefully manage when those tasks start, stop and give up their data. Some tasks need to run in sequence, others can run concurrently with no issues. The light-mapper has been multi-core for years and will spread the work equally across all cores. The AI got a recent update which allowed me to push all the 'path calculating' stuff to a second core because the resulting path did not need to be known right away and could be delayed a few cycles (the perfect scenario for concurrent workloads). There are some other logic areas which can be offloaded, but again they have to be outside of the 'critical path' that requires a sequence of events per game cycle and identifying those special chunks of logic can be tough. It's likely I will be developing the particle system as a concurrent task as explosions, smoke, debris and sparks don't really affect cycle by cycle gameplay, but things like physics would be a little harder to do as you need your collision systems to confine dynamic objects every cycle, not just now and again. Here endeth my brief introduction to multi-core in game engines The ultimate proof in the pudding is when I have finished the overhaul and we can run some side by side performance comparisons between the current DirectX 9 version and the new DirectX 11 render path. I am confident you will see an improvement!
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2017 11:55
^ Hence why I have my reservations with regards to performance.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2017 10:41
I realise this opinion goes against the vast majority of comments in this thread but I can't help but feel disappointed that we're going down the DX11 right now. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate graphical improvements as much as the next person but I feel they will mean little while the feature set of GG is so limited. It's 2017 and we still don't have Convex Hull Decomposition or even any decent non-box collision for dynamic objects. AI doesn't always work consistently. The editor is missing a search function. Game builds continually neglect to include custom media like sounds and sprites, sometimes even entire levels. Water still inexplicably kills you. The physics engine is basic at best. View range is capped at 3,000 units in a level editor that allows you to build big open-air levels. Vehicles? Nope. Talking characters? Nope, not even to Dark Voice's standards. We can't even control the position of the sun in our levels.

This is not to devalue the excellent work that Lee and the team have done to get GG to its current state. They've worked tirelessly to improve upon the original GG offering. The terrain editor & paint works nicely, the consistent adding of new LUA commands is much appreciated and, although I've not played around with it much, the EBE seems to be going down a storm.

GG's integration with TGC Store has created a community of artists, of content creators, so it comes as no surprise to me that many of you voted for this DX11 overhaul. It's only natural that you'd want your work to look its best and these graphics and performance updates will certainly help with that. But GG is game creation software and the range of tools available to make interesting and unique games is limited and often only accessible via vast quantities of impenetrable LUA code. By voting for this overhaul, Lee will now be busy for the rest of 2017, meaning none of the things I just mentioned will be looked at. Come 2018 and GG will no doubt look very nice...but you still won't be able to recreate the opening level of Half Life 2.

Like I said, I'm in a minority here, but I just felt someone had to say it

AE
lotgd
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2017 11:47
@Avenging Eagle In my opinion it is useless to fix a fiat 500 and then make us off-road with her.
Better start with a motor of a modern car, and set it up to do it all.

My Pc Specs : Win10pro64bit /Msi z97 / i74770k / gtx1070 / 16gb ram / SSD 850Evo
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "but you still won't be able to recreate the opening level of Half Life 2"

With the right media, I can't see anything impossible there. Although I am a little fuzzy on the whole intro now.

Quote: "By voting for this overhaul, Lee will now be busy for the rest of 2017"

I don't think it will take that long in all honesty. In fact, I think people will be quite surprised. I certainly don't think it will take till Christmas. Although it won't be next week either. I could be wrong of course, but I'm thinking it will be a more palatable timescale than next year.

Quote: "unique games is limited and often only accessible via vast quantities of impenetrable LUA code."

Well, in my humble opinion, coding is pretty important when making a game. In fact if there's no code, there's no game. A coder however can make a game with zero graphics simply by coding some themselves. Probably not going to look good, but it's possible. Not possible the other way round without coding. Yes, GG is called an easy game maker (something many people complained about when it was announced). When push come to shove however, unless you can code, you will always end up with a game that is more generic and limited if you rely on the automatic options. It's always been the same and probably always will be. Sure some/many people are not going to be able to code like Lee, but most people can code to a lesser degree if they put in some effort. Even basic scripts can make a game less Game-Guru-like.

For me DX11 is a no brainer. We get access to far newer more modern features. It will run faster. I would think the hardware tessellation feature alone will give us faster levels (the current terrain is very hoggy). DX9 is all well and good, but it is old now and Lee is often having to work around it to get more modern approaches to work. I think it has the potential to be the best update for some time. DX11 is more multi-core friendly than 9 and so should help Lee split certain areas of code to other cores. The loading improvements sound good as well, it's Game Guru's biggest failing for me. Working on scripts can be a frustratingly slow business at times. I think any coder will agree, going back to a traditional coding interface, after using GG for some time seems like luxury when it come to compiling and testing.

Oh don't forget lighting. The current light system is archaic and so outdated it is completely noticeable to anyone. DX11 should give us a far better lighting system altogether. In fact, I think lighting is GG's biggest graphical issue bar none. DX11 will give us far better lighting with no real drop in performance (particularly compared to current lighting, which is awful by today's standards).

This is core engine work in my opinion and many of us have been shouting for the core to be improved since GG was released. It's about time. I applaud Lee for taking it on at long last.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2017 15:24
Quote: "In my opinion it is useless to fix a fiat 500 and then make us off-road with her. Better start with a motor of a modern car, and set it up to do it all."

I see your point. But if I were to apply your analogy, I'd say that the DX11 update is like putting a V8 in a Fiat 500 when the suspension is wonky and steering wheel doesn't work; it will look and sound nice and go very fast, but only in straight lines.

Quote: "With the right media, I can't see anything impossible there. "

The level opens with you being on a moving train with two other NPCs. As far as I'm aware, moving entities within entities isn't possible. The train pulls in to a station, the doors open and one NPC says, with lip-sync, "well...end of the line". We currently have no lip-sync engine in GG. You step outside and a big screen plays a video of Dr Breen welcoming you to the city. Video textures are currently a no-no. I would have gladly taken a functionality upgrade over a graphical one, although I do concede that the performance upgrade will be helpful to us all

Quote: "When push come to shove however, unless you can code, you will always end up with a game that is more generic and limited if you rely on the automatic options."

I see where you're coming from, and I accept that scripting should be required for certain bespoke aspects of our games. But I feel there should be more no-scripting-required options available, more stuff I can bolt together to make behaviour and events than simply scripting for scratch. Especially when we're talking about a product who's USP is that it allows you to make games in a "non technical, fun and extremely easy" way, and its target demographic is people who "have no wish to delve into the mystical realms of programming or 3d art?" Many of us are artists who don't have a head for coding. Give me a 3D modeling package and Photoshop and I'll do cool stuff but sit me down in front of Notepad++ with global.lua and I do struggle

Let me give you an example. I wanted to create a sniper in my level but the view distance cap meant I had to rely on the community (smallg, specifically) to write a script that uses raycasting to calculate whether the sniper can 'see' the player. Then he had to account for collision with both objects and the terrain. In my opinion, simply allowing me to set the view distance in-engine would have prevented a lot of headscratching and saved a lot of time.

Some of my other points, like the collision issues, the physics, the water, the sun, even GUI, cannot be solved with scripting.

I do agree with you about the lighting system - currently it isn't all that great. And I'm not saying the DX11 upgrade shouldn't happen, it definitely should...but in my opinion, just not yet. Anyway, this is all academic because Lee is marched full steam ahead and to your point...
Quote: " I'm thinking it will be a more palatable timescale than next year."

...he does seem to be making progress daily so I'm excited to see how things progress over the next few weeks/months.

AE
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 3rd Jun 2017 15:54 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2017 15:56
Quote: "I see your point. But if I were to apply your analogy, I'd say that the DX11 update is like putting a V8 in a Fiat 500 when the suspension is wonky and steering wheel doesn't work; it will look and sound nice and go very fast, but only in straight lines."

Actually it's more like replacing the electrics on a car that has dodgy lights, now we're sure the lights are the problem and they and can be fixed, and we can even get better lights now that the electrics can handle it.

Quote: "...he does seem to be making progress daily so I'm excited to see how things progress over the next few weeks/months."

He's actually making faster progress than I could have imagined, he's already done the tricky part, unhooking DX9 without breaking anything else, and has the basis of DX11 in place, he just needs to hook everything in and test one feature at a time. I think we'll be seeing something substantial within a couple of months.

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2017 16:13
Progress speed has surprised me,all looking good so far.

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The level opens with you being on a moving train with two other NPCs. As far as I'm aware, moving entities within entities isn't possible. The train pulls in to a station, the doors open and one NPC says, with lip-sync, "well...end of the line". We currently have no lip-sync engine in GG. You step outside and a big screen plays a video of Dr Breen welcoming you to the city. Video textures are currently a no-no."

Well, all that is technically possible. I could script a train sequence like that I would imagine, I've done a lift sequence in the past which would be very similar. I also considered a train bit for another part, but in the end decided against it, it was turning into the longest intro ever Lip sync could be faked, there are some talking animations that look okay, admittedly not as good as actual lip syncing, but much more reachable for many people. I often think that is why many default characters wear masks Capable modellers of course could do their own anims for this anyway Of course, that is well beyond many of us Finally although, very limited, you can have a very short video sequence in GG as it stands using shaders (all available already in GG as standard). A play animation to texture command would be great though, easier to use and far more useful

The main point here is GG can do a lot more than you would imagine when you add scripting into the mix. Add custom media for said scripting and you will be able to do some impressive stuff. Never say this or that is impossible It generally isn't. I've got GG running Amiga and console emulators in the past and also wrote a little 2D shooter you could play in game as well, plus a little Space Harrier like demo and a very basic Spyhunter game, all sorts of little experiments.

There's definitely room for improvement with lua commands and bolt-on's for people not that way inclined. I'm not sure why some haven't been added already (animation to texture) as they already existed in the original DB framework and are also available in AGK.

You sound like you know your way around a 3D package, which is a great place to be. Many coders are useless when it comes to modelling, so they are always on the lookout for anyone who can I'm okay with Blender, but only for basic stuff. I'd never attempt to make people for instance. They would be very, very bad. All of us have weak points that can frustrate us and hinder or even stop a game dead in it's tracks. Mine is media, others will think scripting, others may struggle with both. Music is also an issue, although it's easier to patch over that than other things, but really unique custom music will really improve your game.

It would be great if GG supported all the things you mention down the line of course. I think DX11 is long overdue now though and should be a good base to build from.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2017 18:22
I too feel like I could do a lot that is seen in the introduction of HL² in GG, the end result would, of course, be a tremendous far cry from the original but the similiarities would be there. AvengingEagle has a point but I am also in favour of getting the overhaul in first. I must admit that I'm even a little hyped about it.

lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I just started playing Just Cause on Xbox 360. It is quite shockingly bad in terms of visuals and AI - a talented GG user could do a better job. To be fair, it is nearly 10 years old.
Julian - increasingly disillusioned and jaded
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2017 22:57
You bet Julian! Only decent thing is the foliage.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2017 23:50 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2017 23:50
As a long term Game Guru user I would agree that the DX11 news is the best I have heard in an age In fact I think it is fair to say that it has kept my interest in Game Guru alive, as I have been feeling a little despondent with it for awhile. This has renewed my long term interest again and I am keeping my eye on developments here with far more interest than I have for some time. I honestly think the DX11 move is the best thing to happen to GG in ages.

warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2017 14:58
Mmm ... There are many talents and creative in the forums (it's more than a forum ... in a way I see it as a group of friends ... and that's very good), GG is a good engine (not the best ... but you can achieve a great development, because it is a GOOD engine), you have excellent contact with a great boy ... its creator ... Lee. The only thing missing from GG I consider humbly is a good game placed on the big window of the internet ... something that is almost achieved with Father Island of Ertlov. Perhaps a project of the community, in which each of the members of the forum put their skills in it allows an achievement of this nature ... A thought, nothing more ...
Regards!!!

Mmm... Hay muchos talentos y creativos en los foros (es más que un foro... en cierto modo lo veo como un grupo de amigos... y eso es muy bueno), GG es un buen motor (no el mejor... pero se puede lograr un gran desarrollo, porque es un BUEN motor), se tiene un contacto excelente con un gran muchacho... su creador... Lee. Lo único que le falta a GG considero humildemente es un buen juego puesto en la gran vidriera de internet... algo que casi se logra con Father Island de Ertlov. Quizá un proyecto de la comunidad, en el que cada uno de los integrantes del foro ponga sus habilidades en ello permita un logro de esa naturaleza... Un pensamiento, nada más...
Saludos!!!
The game is a serious thing (El juego es una cosa seria)
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2017 04:59
Yeah, sounds great warlock12, a community driven project - not sure about the best way to organise that at all, but would be awesome if it could be pulled off!

Reliquia....
aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2017 09:54
Quote: "something that is almost achieved with Father Island of Ertlov"

Thanks!

I really tried to get the best out of the current GG back then in Summer 2016, and I believe that with the latest and upcoming fixes and improvements, it *IS* possible to create a jaw-dropper in GG.

It's "just" (lol) a matter of creativily working around the GG limitations remaining, the usage of really good assets and, in the end, a good game design.
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2017 15:44
Quote: "You step outside and a big screen plays a video of Dr Breen welcoming you to the city"

As Dvader pointed above it can be done already in GG, using animated textures and shaders.

3com

memory mark 2584.8

PM
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2017 17:20
3com... estimado Catalán!!! Como es eso de las texturas animadas??? Mmm... Gran saludo!
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2017 22:51
According to Granada ...
Maybe this topic has already escaped this post, but as it was born here, I publish this ... although if there is interest we should move to another post.

I think the group has many members with years of experience that can add to the creation of a community-driven project would be very positive for the engine ... I think that's why Lee would also join to achieve success. I only have experience in Projects of Pedagogy, research and technology ... nothing to do in the development of video games, but there must be someone who has a clear mind in that aspect.
I think it would be news in addition to the development of a video game in the hands of a group spread around the world and that is known through a forum ... What cool !!
But before starting something, it would be very important to know who are interested, because if we do not have a good script ... would be impossible a good product ... in the forum there are excellent scripters (we know that good scripts are important, but they are not Many who master it) ... you have to See if they have time or if they are interested
I think the main axis should be the script and rich content story, all interested could write some guidelines of the idea and the community to choose the most interesting ... Then something similar with the artistic (visual) guideline, the band Sound and audio fx. All the agreements confirmed within the group and with the time guidelines ... does not help that the times dilate, the interest can be faded.
I've written too much I think ... it would be interesting to know if there are interested in a community-driven project ... count on me to help.
A big hug to everyone !!!
Warlock

De acuerdo Granada ...
Tal vez este tema ya se ha escapado de este post, pero como nació aquí, publico ésto... aunque si hay interés deberemos mudarnos a otro post.

Creo que el grupo tiene muchos miembros con años de experiencia que pueden unirse para la creación de un proyecto impulsado por la Comunidad, sería muy positivo para el motor ... Creo que por eso, Lee también se uniría para lograr el éxito . Sólo tengo experiencia en Proyectos de Pedagogía, investigación y tecnología ... nada que hacer en el desarrollo de videojuegos, pero debe haber alguien que tenga una mente clara en ese aspecto.
Creo además que sería noticia el desarrollo de un videojuego en manos de un grupo repartido por todo el mundo y que se conoce a través de un foro ... Qué cool!!
Pero antes de empezar algo, sería muy importante saber quiénes están interesados, porque si no tenemos un buen guión ... sería imposible un buen producto ... en el foro hay excelentes scripters (sabemos que los buenos scripts son importantes, pero no son muchos quienes lo dominan) ... tienes que Ver si tienen tiempo o si están interesados
Creo que el eje principal debe ser el guión y la historia rica en contenido, todos los interesados podrían escribir algunas pautas de la idea y la propia comunidad escoger la más interesante ... Entonces algo similar con la directriz artística (visual), la banda Sonido y audio fx. Todos los acuerdos confirmados dentro del grupo y con las pautas de tiempo ... no ayuda que los tiempos se dilaten, el interés se puede desvanecer.
Ya he escrito demasiado creo... sería interesante saber si hay interesados en un proyecto impulsado por la comunidad... cuenten conmigo en lo que pueda ayudar.
Un gran abrazo a todos!!!
Warlock

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 12:05
@warlock12 : I'd oppose this. I've been developing in the indie scene for a decade now and I have been part of half a dozen community projects.
They where all dumpster fires. A game requires a clear vision and is very hard to make. Even among good friends and well organized teams its a challenge to keep a project going as it usually takes up to 2 years to finish one.

What has happened with the team efforts I have been assigned to so far is this:

*Key members disappear during production.
*The majority of members are legendarily useless and drop their workload on 3 or less productive members.
*People are very excited at first but loose interest very fast and gradually in a time span of mere weeks.
*Art team tries to sneak in copyright protected materials
*Members of the team are productive and inspired but absolutely incompetent and then the core team ends up with inconsistent media they have to use because they don't want to hurt the feelings of others.
*People don't do the work assigned to them sometimes for good reasons, most of the time because they don't feel like it after work/school.
*Arguments and conflicting visions throughout the entire production
*Projects never even take off (a lot)

Even projects I was working on with people I knew for years never made it past initial stages. I have yet to see a good community project.

-Wolf

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'd oppose this."

I can understand you not being interested for the reasons you have mentioned, but that seems a little extreme.

Myself, I have to agree with Wolf in the main. I haven't done many collaborations myself and those I have generally have only been a small team of 2, rather than a bigger team and every time I have had similar issues. I've had private messages about this sort of thing and also turned them down. It's very difficult for something like this to work, especially when done via the internet. None of my previous team attempts have been over the net and even those didn't work. Interest dies quickly and eventually you have to stop badgering the person to get the stuff done Bear in mind these 2 man efforts were really me doing everything bar graphics and even then the graphics guys have ended up dropping off. I will say though, I have no problems saying something is not up to scratch, so perhaps it's an artist thing I'm not nasty, but I do speak my mind.

However, it's not to say it can't work. The team would have to consist of like minded individuals who are really, really into making games and have some skills to add to the table. I've never found anyone who matches my drive in this regard when working on a team effort, so as Wolf says it can be difficult. I'd consider something like this, but having wasted many months of my life in the past on other team projects, am a little wary these days. It's a pity in a way, because if the right people did get together, I reckon they would make a pretty amazing GG title.

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 14:08
@ warlock12
There is a BOTR thread that can be useful for you.

https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/217140

3com

memory mark 2584.8

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 14:23
Quote: "I can understand you not being interested for the reasons you have mentioned, but that seems a little extreme."

Ah! Mistranslation! I meant to say that I disagree, not that I'd try to stop them.

I can relate to all your experiences @DVader. Oh well! You live, you learn.

Quote: "I have no problems saying something is not up to scratch, so perhaps it's an artist thing"

Depends on the project. In a team this is necessary but if you are doing a community project, you'll get few experienced people and many rookies...

What really works well in this community though are community model and media packs! The cosmic prophets projects have proven this... I even learned modeling during one of these events myself.

-Wolf
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 14:56 Edited at: 6th Jun 2017 15:34
Friends ... Can I say friends ??? (Friends-forum category)

I'll stick with this quote and a question: does the right people ... exist?
"It's a pity in a way, because if the right people did get together, I reckon they would make a pretty amazing GG title."

Wolf: you. Is one of the great referents of GG (not the only ... ha ha ha) that I have, so I totally respect his opinion and also made me fall into what I now understand as a great reality and made me remember in many projects Of another nature (not so complex) that also followed the directions you mark ...
But as I am an optimistic person and hope is the only thing that is lost, I am always willing to channel projects that are not selfish but for the common good. I agree with what you propose, because it reflects your experience and a reality that can not be hidden ...

DVader: another of my great references ... I see a vision not unlike Wolf, but a little more optimistic ... I see and it seemed strange that I had never discussed the subject ... and I understand that I have not Found the corresponding post, nothing more.

I also share the fact that I was (despite my short presence in the Forum) invited to integrate two projects ... which I kindly rejected. But if you saw a project in which you can find: Wolk, DVader, SmallG, Relic, 3Com, Bod, UnFamilia, Bored ..., Pirate Mike, Cosmic ..., Sincromesh, LandMan, Honkeyboy, UndeadJoe, Granada, Arfur, Belidos. .. I even read ... (it is not necessary that they are all there are even some names that escape me ... sorry) ... I would surely join the project and I would commit to it to the last consequences.

U big hug !!! And thank you very much for your words ... it is an honor.

Well, if anyone considers it interesting to continue discussing this topic ... we should do it in another post ... Belidos can be angry !!! Ha ha ha Greetings Belidos!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amigos... ¿Puedo decir amigos??? (Amigos-foro categoria)

Me quedo con ésta cita y una pregunta: ¿the right people... existe?
"It's a pity in a way, because if the right people did get together, I reckon they would make a pretty amazing GG title."

Wolf: ud. es uno de los grandes referentes de GG (no el único... ja ja ja) que tengo, por eso respeto totalmente su opinión y además, me hizo caer en lo que entiendo ahora como una gran realidad y me hizo recordar en muchos proyectos de otra naturaleza (no tan compleja) que igualmente siguieron los rumbos que marca ud...
Pero como soy un persona optimista y la esperanza es lo único que se pierde, siempre estoy dispuesto a encauzar proyectos que no son egoistas sino para el bien común. Estoy de acuerdo con lo que planteas, pues refleja tu experiencia y una realidad que no se puede ocultar...

DVader: otro de mis grandes referentes... Veo una visión no muy distinta a la de Wolf, pero un poco más optimista... Veo y me parecía extraño que nunca se hubiera discutido sobre el tema... y comprendo que no he hallado los post correspondientes, nada más.

Comparto tambien el hecho que fui (a pesar de mi corta presencia en el Foro) invitado a integrar dos proyectos... cosa que amablemente rechacé. Pero si viera un proyecto en el que pueden encontrarse: Wolk, DVader, SmallG, Reliquia, 3Com, Bod, UnFamilia, Bored..., Pirate Mike, Cosmic..., Sincromesh, LandMan, Honkeyboy, UndeadJoe, Granada, Rolfy, Belidos... he incluso Lee... (no es necesario que estén todos he incluso hay algunos nombres que se me escapan... perdon)... de seguro me uniría al proyecto y me comprometería con él hasta las últimas consecuencias.

U gran abrazo!!! Y Muchas gracias por sus palabras... es un honor.

warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 15:04
3Com... No veo tu opinión sobre la idea de un Proyecto de la Comunidad... (ja ja ja). Bueno la idea no es original y no tiene mucho futuro, pero uno siempre tiene la esperanza... "Seré un soñador... Pero sé que no soy el único" (frase que no es mía... pero siempre me gusta compartir.
Muchas gracias por la velocidad en responderme sobre el tema de videos... Genial! Me encanta su potencial y características!!!

Un gran abrazo!!!

PD: Es muy distinto el Catalán al castellano que deberíamos escribirnos en inglés??? -Ja ja ja -Bazingaaaaaaaa-
Uh... tengo un profe Catalán con el que mantengo contacto y que trabaja en gamificación educativa... no será conocido tuyo (más o menos es del área)

Nuevo Gran Abrazo!
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 18:07
Quote: "@warlock12 : I'd oppose this. I've been developing in the indie scene for a decade now and I have been part of half a dozen community projects.
They where all dumpster fires. A game requires a clear vision and is very hard to make. Even among good friends and well organized teams its a challenge to keep a project going as it usually takes up to 2 years to finish one."

Fully agreed.

And Wolf's nice list here:

Quote: "
*Key members disappear during production.
*The majority of members are legendarily useless and drop their workload on 3 or less productive members.
*People are very excited at first but loose interest very fast and gradually in a time span of mere weeks.
*Art team tries to sneak in copyright protected materials
*Members of the team are productive and inspired but absolutely incompetent and then the core team ends up with inconsistent media they have to use because they don't want to hurt the feelings of others.
*People don't do the work assigned to them sometimes for good reasons, most of the time because they don't feel like it after work/school.
*Arguments and conflicting visions throughout the entire production
*Projects never even take off (a lot)

"

is far from being complete. However, it's not entirely impossible.

Quote: "I have yet to see a good community project."

The development of Gothic 3 AFTER the troublesome bug-ridden release, including all patches and the huge overhaul of story & quests, was indeed done by a team consisting of community members coordinated by one of my Community Managers back then.
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
not strictly on the topic of a community project but something that might be useful is; one of the biggest assets i've found when making a game is just having a clear path/idea/list of what i should be doing. this includes the end goal (which most people will have even in basic form - they see the grand end game result right from that start, their brilliant idea - and this is as it should be but even working alone it can be difficult to know how to achieve it and that's not even taking into account how to show others you may need to work with).
but i found i get far more done when i also have a very specific list to work from at all times.

and i say this from the point of someone who tends to grab an idea here, another idea there and just dive right in and produce it (you may notice this in my very long and random list of scripts but i can tell you i have a much longer list of half finished scripts and games you will never see because it took me far too long to work out how much more productive it is for me working from a list of objectives) but when it comes to full games you should give yourself short, achievable goals and work through them so that you don't lose your focus and also so production feels active at all times.
i also like to keep my list short and just focus it towards things i know need doing in the immediate future, this way i wont feel bogged down by how long the list is and how much i still have to do, it's just ever growing as i progress with the game.
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 22:38 Edited at: 6th Jun 2017 22:39
@Ertlov ... Gladly, my son and a great friend played Gothic 3 (in addition to the others and Risen ...) and confirm that despite the bugs and problematic patches, it was a great game. Well then, if you had to see: Congratulations!
But returning to the theme that summons us, it seems that everything is already said, that it is totally impossible to carry out a project in the hands of the GG community ... Well ... It is very good to discuss experiences and analyzes of potentialities, As we can see ... are not very encouraging for it.
Great greeting Ertlov !!!!

You will have to leave this topic aside ... Thanks to all Those who sincerely ...

@Ertlov... Alegrate, mi hijo y un gran amigo jugaron Gothic 3 (ademas de los otros y Risen...) y me confirman que a pesar de los bugs y patches problemáticos, se trato de un gran juego. Pues entonces, si has tenido que ver: Felicitaciones!
Pero volviendo al tema que nos convoca, parece que ya está todo dicho, que es totalmente imposible llevar adelante un proyecto de la mano de la comunidad GG... Bien... Es muy bueno plantear las experiencias y los análisis de las potencialidades, como podemos ver... no son muy alentadoras para ello.
Gran saludo Ertlov!!!! Habrá que dejar éste tema de lado... Gracias a todos los que opinaron con sinceridad...
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2017 22:46
@SmallG: Excellent contribution that is born from the experience itself and worth 1000 times more than theory. But what I'm not clear ... (ha ha ha) if there was a well defined and directed project, with the intention of generating a Great Development in GG ... Would you form part of the team ???
A great greeting Master scripter !!!!
Warlock

@SmallG: Excelente aporte que se ve nacido desde la experiencia misma y que vale 1000 veces más que la teoría. Pero lo que no me quedo claro... (ja ja ja) si hubiera un proyecto bien definido y dirigido, con la intención de generar un Gran Desarrollo en GG... ¿Formarías parte del equipo???
Un gran saludo Master scripter!!!!
Warlock
devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
lees update on DX11 looking good moving along fast.
very impressive work so far.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
No update since the 15th. Not sure if that's good or bad news :/ The only issue I have noticed is the FPS of the screenshots shown so far I imagine that's caused by it not being finished - not that it is even slower than before.
SPECS: Ryzen 1700 CPU. Nvidia 970GTX. 16 Gig Memory. Win 10.
MooKai
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2017 22:35
I guess the DX11 update will be ready at the end of the summer, I hope the AI bugs will be fixed then too...
Old school FPS fan, DOOM!!! Why GG not working on my AMIGA 500?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No update since the 15th. Not sure if that's good or bad news :/ "

Na he probably took a break over the "Fathers Day " weekend and I don't blame him with this weather we are having
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2017 22:59
Yes, I went away to Blackpool Friday afternoon for a chill and giggle, then spent the start of this week in 'Scorchio' office trying to cool my brain down. Will post an update this evening to my blog and show you the latest cool progress as a screenshot. Plenty more to come, but I am finally past them mystery issues and onto the donkey work issues. Don't worry about the FPS scores in the shots, they are debug builds, use dynamic vertex buffers instead of static ones and the object manager still need a scene graph refresh before I can be happy with my DirectX 11 efforts. You should see both visuals and performance creep up in tandem as work proceeds. I am not afraid
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

devlin
Years of Service
User Offline
New build is moving along fast .
nice to see you take a break to hot to sit in the coding room
as of late. to hot to sit anywhere at the moment .
hope we can beta this soon. great work lee.
PM
UNIRD12B
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2017 20:43
wow LEE ,
does this,,,,,,,,,,,,,

" A shot of the current build in release mode with the performance tackled..."

mean that we will have game guru dx11 RELEASE soon ?

Thx

UNIRD12B
Let\'s actually make something happen with this one !
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2017 06:31
Yeah, anyone know for sure that Lee is real?

The amount of work he gets though sometimes, it just seams like he is more than one guy - is it possible he is a replicator or something - lol.

- - - -
Great work Lee - it might be summer in the UK but your coding seat would be on fire even if it were middle of winter

Reliquia....

PS: that red sky is growing on me lol........

aka OldFlak
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2017 10:41
I am definitely one person, I've checked, twice. No plans for a release at present, we simply use the word 'release' to describe building a binary executable that has the debug hooks stripped out to provide a maximum performance test. Most of the time, I stay in debug mode so I can step through and monitor the armies of nasty gremlins that frequent any program of substantial size, and a game engine is no exception

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 22nd Jun 2017 11:26
Quote: "nasty gremlins"

Does Ravey know you talk about him like this?

Primary Desktop:
i7 7700,k NV1070 8GB, 16GB 3200mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Secondary Desktop:
i5 4760k, NV960 2GB, 16GB 2333mhz memory, 1x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.

Laptop:
i3, Intel 4000 series graphics, 6GB memory, 1x 500gb HDD, Win8.1.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2017 19:47
Yes, apparently he became desensitized to it years ago

granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2017 17:27
Another great progress update today Lee,things are moving along realy well.hope it stayed that way .

Dave
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2017 21:32
Great stuff Lee.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

TGPEG
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2017 06:20 Edited at: 28th Jun 2017 06:21
Things are looking good. For the shaders I'd be very interested in seeing something along the lines of Blender's Principled BSDF (itself adapted from Disney's Pixar BRDF). It's essentially a PBR shader which includes pretty much everything except illumination. You'd conceivably be able to have a single shader for Game Guru which would just react differently depending on the values given to it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:55:25
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:55:25