Scripts / RPG Module 2 : Turn-based battle, multiple player characters [wip]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 17:40 Edited at: 17th Jan 2017 18:10
Last year I created a set of scripts to turn a GameGuru game into an action RPG. Since it's January again, I figured out it's time to see how flexible an engine GameGuru really is. The end result is "RPG Module 2". Unlike the previous set of scripts which were built on top of GG's default game mechanics, the new ones start from scratch. The action part is no more, and the battle mechanics are 100 % statistics- and turn-based.

The mechanics are ready save for special enemy commands and some little details and bug fixes. Default weapons and 3rd player characters are not used in battles at all.

A battle begins when player moves close to an enemy character. The battle is turn-based. On each turn a command for each character is selected, after which the commands are executed in an order depending on the Agility stat of the character. This can be manipulated by inflicting Slow or Haste status.

There are total 17 status effects which are divided in 4 categories: Neutral (Normal, Critical), Negative (Feeble, Weak, Slow, Blind, Silence (not yet functional), Venom, Coward), Positive (Overdrive, Fierce, Shield, Haste, Sharp, Trance) and Deadly (KO, Petrify). If all characters reach Deadly state, player loses. If an enemy reaches Deadly state, player wins. The status effects can be controlled with Items, Spells and Attacks.

There are 4 character classes: Knight, Thief, Mage and Magic Knight each of which uses separate set of Weapons and Armor (menus for doing this are not yet completed) and skills. All characters can Attack and use Items. Some items target player characters and others the enemy. Mage and Magic Knight can also use Magic, which works like items, but consumes MP. Thief can Steal items from an enemy and Magic Knight can Examine the enemy to make his/her HP and status visible. Knight and Thief can try to retreat from the battle with Escape command. If Escape is succesful, the party has 4 seconds to move away from the enemy before a new battle begins.

The audiovisual effects are currently limited to fixing the camera to an enemy character and two sound effects: one (0 : misc\melee.wav) for menu commands and the execution of attack commands, and another (1 : misc\health.wav) ) for execution of all the other commands. I feel this is the only area where the limitations of GameGuru do take an effect...

In total, areas that still need work are different enemy classes and commands, utility scripts to add or remove party memebers, audiovisual effects (an area with most compromises, I'm afraid) and menus (and HUDs maybe?). I'm planning to add the script to the store as soon as I'm satisfied on its quality.

Comments, suggestions?
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 18:07
Try this ..

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Moshroom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 18:10
Ok, works now. Thanks.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2017 18:18
Very nice.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Tauren
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: PUBG,Conan Exiles,WoW,HoMM III,MoO 2,Master of Orion 2016
Posted: 19th Jan 2017 23:54 Edited at: 20th Jan 2017 00:04
Looks nice! Let's make a RPG Maker-style game on GameGuru
But visual effects (like spell attack, healing, melee attack) it will be difficult to do?
Also imho, HUD for party members (and additional mouse control for menu) will be very actual for comfortable playing.
PM
Moshroom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2017 15:26
Since I've made this much more flexible than my original RPG menu, it's possible to create an actual mouse support. However in my opinion the mouse cursor control in GG isn't the smoothest possible, so controlling the battle menu with only keyboard and mouse wheel might be actually more comfortable than by mouse cursor. But I'll make the option available.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-21 22:54:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-21 22:54:07