Showcase / Redacted - Hired Gun - Xmas release!

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 20:56 Edited at: 29th Dec 2016 22:03
Oh dear!! That explains a lot! You downloaded the wrong game.
I have uploaded that old thing because it was somewhat similar. I figured it would interest someone who also came from the FPSC forums as a curiosity. Sorry 'bout that.

Deprivation is 7 years old by now. I made that game in about 8 hours back then.
Yes, the FPSC engine had an issue where it was very dark on some ends.
I attached a .zip with screenshot instructions on how to play that level if you are still interested in that. You can open the somewhat siny door with "enter". (I know, very inconvenient, but it was not as extremely alien back then as it is now.)

I'm sorry for annoying you with this and I hope you'll get time to play through the actual game!!

Edit: I have removed Deprivation Direct Action to keep this mistake from happening to somebody else.

-Wolf

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Now see, it's your fault for posting a 7 year old game up first I was excited to try this and just saw the link, not my fault at all, well, maybe a little, but I was going to read the thread later, I just wanted to try the game! Even when experiencing the issues, I still only scanned the thread :/ Ah well, lesson learned.

Goes to show although I thought it might be an FPSC game along the way, I still didn't try "Enter". Although to be fair it never said "Press Enter to open", which would have been a big help, you must have disabled that for whatever reasons. 8 hours is pretty impressive though, although I don't know how long it is I've downloaded the actual new game now and will let you know how it turns out.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 00:19 Edited at: 30th Dec 2016 21:42
Hey DVader!

Ya see, what is almost most exciting about posting games and read peoples opinions is that so many people end up doing things you never expected

Quote: "it's your fault for posting a 7 year old game up first "

Haha!! I removed the link for now, so this won't happen again.

Quote: "Although to be fair it never said "Press Enter to open", which would have been a big help"

I've only ever shared that one with the FPSC community, they all knew the default FPSC commands at the time. A big blunder designwise none-the-less.

Quote: "although I don't know how long it is"

Rather short. I've also premade most retextures and models for other games.

Quote: "I've downloaded the actual new game now and will let you know how it turns out."

Please do!! I'm looking forward to what you think of it.

Edit: I'll be traveling until 5th or 6th of january and can not reply to feedback. I'll get back to you once I've returned

-Wolf
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2016 23:00 Edited at: 30th Dec 2016 23:02
Hi,
here is my review:
First Level:
- FPS are ok on high
- activate switch(PS: I thought it is a bug that you see so long "E to interface", so I fixed it , if it is wanted don´t look at it)
- find key
- Nice Gunfights
- Graphics 7/10 Sometimes I get hugh FPS drops(Jumed on the hospital bed with the dead alien on it)

Second Level:
Looks like Far Cry 1 in beautiful and it has so much fps on low like far cry on my first PC as it released. No I had no great PC, the FPS is 1.
I can´t play futher because there is always one guy behind a corner I didn´t see and I can´t turn around fast enough, so I played it seven times too and now I hate your first level.
I make now a harsh statement: Your game is like COD in Veteran, besindes the fact that nobody shout in your ear "Reload" or other stupid stuff.

I will give it another try tomorrow.

Sorry
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.

Attachments

PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay. I've given this 3 attempts now, but can only say one life? One life! What were you thinking? Fine, I understand you want it to be difficult, but it's just taken 5 minutes to load up and I have no inclination to do it over. First time I died, was the low fps indicator popping up at a bad time causing me to die simply because I couldn't turn to shoot my attacker. So, yeah, probably a good idea to turn that off! Second time, was just me trying to be all head shots and accurate. Third time, the same, I'd took out the first group like a pro, all down with head shots, minimal damage, then the next caught me by surprise and instead of shooting madly to survive, I again tried to be accurate, needless to say it ended badly.

So apart from the lives situation, it's pretty good. I just don't understand why you made it one life. It's a killer. Really, if it had not been the fact you wanted feedback, I would probably have deleted it after the first try. Both this game and Bugsy's suffer the same way. Newcomers will probably die. Then they have to load it up all over again. Most people at this point will be hovering between "That's it, I'm done." and "Shall I try again?" After suffering that 5 minute loading screen over a second time, all but GG fans around here will have given up on it. Please take my advice, play test these things properly in Standalone! Get someone who doesn't know the game to try it in Standalone. It wouldn't take 10 minutes to find the obvious flaws here. Game Guru's insanely slow loading times are not good for high stakes, killed fairly easily type affairs. I've played the game 3 times and probably spent as much time loading as playing.

Please don't take this the wrong way, it's as much a critique of GG itself. Still, knowing it's weaknesses, devs should really do their best to avoid them. I've given critique on 3 Game Guru titles of late. All 3 suffer the same problem, load times. Perhaps, on faster systems the load time is less clunky, but on mine (and I do have an SSD Hybrid hdd, so it's not exactly slow) it's unbearable. Anyway enough of that, back to the rest of the game.

The graphics are great. It runs fairly well on lowest settings, but I have only seen the indoor parts and not too much of those The AI works well and as said, have managed to kill me every time at some point. So no issues there, just the fact they send me back to loading hell. The computers you have to interface with seem a little odd. The voice over says to interface with it. I do this but it just says interfacing and nothing else. I waited awhile the first time but there was no indication it was ever going to change. The doors did open though. You might want a little more confirmation on those bits.

I must admit, I'm not keen on the custom weapons overall. They look pretty good, but the lack of right click improved aiming feels off, in comparison to GG's default weapons. Only a small thing as I am used to GG games, but even in my limited FPS games experience, most games give a better zoomed in aim when right clicking. I could probably get used to it, apart from the loading times making it an unbearable task.

All in all a great Game Guru title. Looks good and plays well. Just a pity it is spoilt by only having one life, causing those loading screens to be seen way to often. Also, Game Guru the weird game maker? Lol. Anyway, very good apart from GG's lovely loading times, which you can't really control (apart from giving a couple more lives of course). I can say for certain, if this is given YouTube time by the usual people it would get most critique about that than anything else. Being free though, I think it would go down quite well.

There's also a picture that looks suspiciously like a man in a hospital smock and high heels doing a vague vogue pose that seemed a little odd considering the setting. Very arty, but slightly unsettling at the same time. Apologies if this is a woman you know and roped in to take the pic - my settings were on lowest. Of course, it could just be a stock image out of The Rocky Horror show or something. We'll probably never know.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 08:45 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2017 08:51
Well, what can i say...

I finally managed to get around to playing this most of the way through, and i'm impressed.

To start with the first thing i noticed was the lighting, overall it's very well done, just the right amount of light, with the right colouring, there were very few glitches, there were only two things that jumped out at me; 1. There were a few patches of light with no source, it looks like the old issue where a wall or something is too thin, and the light mapper projects a light silhouette where there shouldn't be one, 2. Shadows, they were very few and far between, i know this is probably because you have disabled as many as possible because gameguru just doesn't handle shadows very well. As i said, overall very well.

Entities, some very good entities, used very well, i tried my hardest to get stuck, or break out of the area, but everything is pretty well placed, both physically and aesthetically. The only issues i had with entities was with; 1. a door glitch, i had entered an area, killed the enemies and flicked a switch, so i turned to leave, just after opening the door i decided to save, and when i came back from the save the door was closed, but the collision was off on it, and 2. As mentioned before the table with a corpse on it has some mesh irregularities that are causing extreme frame rate drop and stuttering when you get right up close to it, if you switch the collision to box that should fix it, after all, who needs to jump on a corpse on a gurney? Apart from that one issue i can't complain at all about entities in the game

AI, this i was very impressed with, very responsive, used line of site and viewing angle very well, they actually chased, and even appeared to take cover, i actually spent a good 5 minutes running around being followed by one soldier, trying my best to glitch it through walls, get it to get stuck running in walls, to basically break it, which i couldn't, and the way you placed AI so that more would spawn in rooms behind you, so you had to be careful when back tracking, genius! Great job!

Scripting, this was very sparse, mostly generic default scripts, there's not much to say here, the only issue i had with a script was the interface script, the prompt to interface stayed on the screen and didn't change, so it took me a moment to realize it had done something, maybe a sound and another prompt saying "system active, operating door 2638" would have been appropriate here.

Story line/voice acting, it was an interesting, if a little generic, being an FPS game i would guess doesn't matter so much, but i love story lines, and like to get engrossed in them, there just wasn't enough of a story here for me, and what there was that was voice acted, was just way too quiet, and got drowned out. It's here that the game is mainly let down for me, but it doesn't really detract from the overall quality of the game.

Which brings me finally to difficulty, choosing the difficulty of a game is a hard thing to do, there are many contributing factors, and it's hard to get that fine balance between "too difficult i want to stab my own eyes out" and "it's so easy you might as well stab my eyes out because i don't need them to play", now i'm not an FPS'er, i don't do well in games like CoD, TF2, and BF, i enjoy them, but i'm not very good, and i personally found the overall difficulty about right, it wasn't too hard that i couldn't progress, but was hard enough that i had to be very careful entering new (and even re-entering old) areas, and i had to use the save regularly.

The one major issue i had that ties in with difficulty (not directly, but effected by) was the long loading screens (as mentioned by others), matched with the single life. In games where loading is a quick few seconds long, it wouldn't be an issue, and i would definitely leave it as it is if it was done on any other engine. However the long loading screens with gameguru just have you tearing your eyes out, after dying and having to load again two or three time i was ready to quit and delete. I would highly recommend adding checkpoints, and giving the player infinite lives to avoid frustrating them too much.

Overall, this is a really good game, if it had been longer, and published on Steam i would have purchased it, and i wouldn't have regretted the purchase at all.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 05:15
I'm home. expect a lengthy, completely biased review very soon
Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2017 06:51
The loading screen was so full of text I was sure I was going to be playing the game before I got done reading, but sure enough, I read the whole thing twice and had time to take my grandmother to dinner afterwards. What followed was 2 minutes of excellent balls-to-the-wall rambo action that led me immediately to my demise at what I thought was just way too goddamn many guards standing in one hallway. In the beta, the enemies didn't shoot and you had 400 health, so I kinda figured it was gonna be a little easier, and am happy to see it wasnt so pushovery as it used to be

This brings me to my first problem, This game is not difficult at all, however it is FAR too punishing. In FPSC when all games are of a similar difficulty, and the loading screens were half as long, this was a thing, but in a much larger scale gameguru game, I'd like to see checkpoints.

Ok, so I reloaded the game finally after about a week (I stopped counting when I ran out of food) and played a little more "call of duty on normal mode"; an absolutely BANNER 5 minutes of gameplay at about 60 FPS average (wouldnt DARE touch this game with reshade). Then came what , in the beta, was the end, however here, it told me I hadn't activated enough computer terminals, and so I of course had to backtrack through an amount of enemies (cowards who hadn't revealed themselves when I originally charged through the place) that at a certain point, behaved like lemmings, all running around a corner into their headshot-clothesline demise. I think the AI spawn positions could have been more careful, but we both prefer different difficulty experiences. I ran out of ammo before I started the whole "backtracking" part, and had to play WAY more careful, but I will say that with 200 health, and way more enemies firing slower and all just running at you at once, they kinda feel "not deadly"

I also must add that I'd rather have played a 6 minute level with 2 more simple little door puzzles than a 15 minute level where at a certain point I was frantically running around, hitting E at every computer screen I could. This was not a fun however many minutes.

So after my vacation, level 2 loaded and I daresay that it was one of the most graphically outstanding slideshows I've ever seen. I saved, knowing that 20 FPS meant that there was going to be a sharp difficulty rise. I ran outside the building and iced a few people as my framerate gradually increased, however not by much. I realized I would have to sneak around the outside to the convenient beachside spacewhip, and was delighted to find a few enemies had been placed there assuming I would do that. I thought they would be a lot tougher but with such a low frame rate and high rate of speed and jumping, they were not.

I've done a lot of complaining about difficulty and framerate, which are all things that vary greatly (and in relation to one another) based on your computer. Mine's pretty ok, but nothing special.

ok so, I'll do a TL;DR storyteller style
THE GOOD:
VERY IMPORTANT KIDS; TAKE NOTES: THE COLOUR GRADING. the difference between an ugly ass blue hallway and an emissive scene is in the surface and ambience sliders, and wolf is clearly very photographically inclined.
graphics, but I say this with a few minute reservations
environment design. everywhere you look is a decent screenshot
audio. this is one guy with a mic here.
anything to do with the artistic side of this game is nice. even the menus and splashscreens have a finesse that set this apart
the length, but honesly I say this with reservations as well

THE BAD:
puzzles- I think you could have gotten way more interesting here.
enemy AI- with so many of them and so much health, you could really see that they're not the most intelligent as a large squad. they also dont drop enough ammo for my liking. I wanted to play this like COD or soldier of fortune but the ammo they dropped made it more like resident evil sometimes.
frame rate in level 2- I refuse to play games on LOWEST or at less than 40 FPS MINIMUM if its gameguru but i make exceptions for you.

THE UGLY:
gun animations- soooooo 10 years old. no IK on hands for walk animations
lighting in level 1- I think more differentiation would have been good here. being able to tell the rooms apart more by different lights and walls would have made it less like running around in sanatorium looking for pages terminals and hoping not to get swarmed by slenderman guys who look like theyve come from the paintball arena

some final notes:
TOO MANY GUNS, and not enough difference between them. the MP5 feels like the M4, the glock feels like the beretta, and the "SCOPE" on the unscoped rifle appears in the middle of the screen. the shotgun does nowhere near enough damage up close, and the pistol becomes the best gun in the game if you play this like kshatriya wetwork

More Explosions Please.

Checkpoints for the love of god.

all in all, I'm giving this 3/5 wolfs howling at a moon.

I know you can do a whole lot better, but what you have here is REALLY AWESOME and makes me want to somehow mention it in some way in my games story somewhere. If the game had been 10 minutes of excellent gameplay it would have been a 5, but it was 20 or more minutes of gameplay- 5 of were awesome and 4 of which were okay but too choppy to properly enjoy.

It is, however, just as entertaining as fathers island seems to be so far, with a much lower pricepoint, and I can appreciate that. it's not as long unless you're REALLY BAD and REALLY patient, but it's another excellent example of what can currently be achieved with gameguru in its handicapped state. Excellent work.

Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
PLAY KSHATRIYA WETWORK
PLAY RUNNING AROUND
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2017 23:46 Edited at: 7th Jan 2017 22:19
Redacted - Hired Gun starts off as most First Person Shooters do with the player inserted somewhere safe, a place to get our bearing. After looking around we find a big powerful gun on the 1st floor level (far to easy to find) and a bit of ammo thats our reward for noseying around.

Heading down the shaft reaching the ground floor we find a terminal which activates the first door. Four guys run at us with guns a going. Now at this point if you don't have the gun from upstairs you better start running backwards and fast. If you took you your time to find the big gun then these guys are history very quickly. This is how a game should open being very easy to start with and giving a excellent build up for what lies ahead.

With cybernescence, DVader, Belidos and Bugsy to name a few leaving some great reviews there no point in talking any more about the game content I think wolf would preferred if I talked about performance.

Four test rigs see below for their CPU Benchmarks.

AMD 5350 APU @ 2.05GHz Total Rating = 2565 and Single Thread Rating of 808
Intel G2020 @ 2.9GHz Total Rating = 2780 and Single Thread Rating of 1545
AMD A10 7700K APU @ 3.8GHz Total Rating = 5181 and Single Thread Rating of 1489
AMD A8 4500M APU @ 2.8GHz Total Rating = 2653 and Single Thread Rating of 855

Second up is loading times from clicking on the game icon (after re-booting Windows) see below.

AMD 5350 APU @ 2.05GHz 4xcore, 8GB Ram and a AND R7 240 1GB DDR3. = 11.20 mins
Intel G2020 @ 2.9GHz 2xcore, 8GB Ram and a Geforce GTX750 Ti 2GB. = 3.50 mins
AMD A10 7700K APU @ 3.8GHz 4cores 8GB Ram and onboard R7 2GB. = 5.45 mins
AMD A8 4500M APU @ 2.8GHz 4cores 8GB Ram and onboard 7640g 2GB = 15 mins laptop

Third up after being killed this is the time to load a new game see below.

AMD 5350 APU @ 2.05GHz 4xcore, 8GB Ram and a AND R7 240 1GB DDR3. = 10 mins
Intel G2020 @ 2.9GHz 2xcore, 8GB Ram and a Geforce GTX750 Ti 2GB. = 2.21 mins
AMD A10 7700K APU @ 3.8GHz 4cores 8GB Ram and onboard R7 2GB. = 4.20 mins
AMD A8 4500M APU @ 2.8GHz 4cores 8GB Ram and onboard 7640g 2GB = 13 mins laptop

Frames Per Second running around the first area also Video Passmark see below.

AMD 5350 APU + R7 240 @1280x720 = 22fps to 55fps average 25fps Video passmark 900
Intel G2020 + GTX 750 Ti @1920x1080 = 45fps to 135fps average 75fps Video passmark 3685
AMD A10 7700K APU + R7 @1920x1080 = 35fps to 108fps average 50fps Video passmark 900
AMD A8 4500M APU + 7640g @1280x720 = 13fps to 38fps average 22fps Video passmark 600 Laptop

Total Video ram used is just under 2GB using nvidia drivers and about the same for AMD drivers

Both the 4 core AMD A8 4500m and AMD 5350 are powerful chips for their wattage (they take 35 and 25 watts) and both run level one ok (A8 4500m only just though). However their 11 to 15min's loading time makes them a no no for this game. its the slow single core rating and being a AMD chip which seem to be the problem here.

Now for the better chips the A10 and G2020 both have the same Single thread rating but the loading time is still a good bit slower on the overall more powerful A10 chip. I find GameGuru is the only program that I can tell the intel chips are faster when the thread rating are the same as in these two chips. Its hard to test like for like because they use different boards etc but I know the hard drive are much the same at 7200rpm type.

I've removed a wall of text here and condensed it to this:- I've turned off the occlusion in the setup file as I don't like the way the frame rate keep shooting up and down. I find the game much smoother on the less powerful systems.

Just like to point a few things out :-

Note how the A10 has double the average FPS over the 5350 yet both have AMD R7 240 cards. The 5350 a plugin card and the A10 7700k onboard, both have a video passmark of around 900. The 5350 CPU is just not up to the job when using GameGuru.

Note also how the A10 is not far behind the GTX750 yet this card is over 3 x faster. This does highlight the fact that GameGuru speed has a lot to do with the CPU. Also the A10 would be a lot closer if I was using 2133Mhz ram instead of 1600Mhz ram I have fitted.

So it looks like GameGuru loads slower on AND chips but plays the game ok. The G2020 loads a new game in 2.21mins after you've been killed. I think thats just ok.

Just to show you how bad AMD is with the GameGuru engine see how they start and run with retail games.

Laptop AMD A8 4500M APU + 7640g @1366x768 will load from the steam page The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in 37secs and run at 25 to 30fps outdoors with game set to Ultra.

AMD 5350 APU + R7 240 @ 1280x720 will load from the steam page Metro 2033 in 40secs and run at 20 to 30fps with game set to Very High

Those 37secs and 40secs are the times it takes to land in the game and start playing. So not much wrong with AMD chips here.

Wolf I just love this, you have crafted a great Game. Not one item looks out of place. All the colours seem to fit in well. Yes there are a few faults as the other guys have pointed out. You can't please everyone all of the time.

As its made with GameGuru it has to be a 9/10 from me.

Keep up the good work and thanks for letting us get hands-on with this.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2017 23:53
Quote: "Laptop AMD A8 4500M APU + 7640g @1366x768 will load from the steam page The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in 37secs and run at 25 to 30fps outdoors with game set to Ultra."

8 seconds on my i5

Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2017 00:02
Hello!! Thank you so much for your feedback!

I'm back and will reply to your points in detail tomorrow

-Wolf
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "8 seconds on my i5 "

WOW! Belidos thats eye watering fast. Helps me out no end.

Because I can compare it with by A10 7700K if you don't mind I'm going to up that 8 sec to 16 sec because those Hybrid drives you have are very fast, and my A10 has just a Sata drive running in IDE mode. So let the race begin... Nope I didn't stand a chance I came in with 31 seconds.

If you need a good on chip 3D speed for games and low power say for a Laptop AMD do OK. Sony and Microsoft think so too as the PS4 and XBOX ONE use the same design of chips. I brought my laptop 3 years ago, Intel are much closer now in that market.

It may be to late but the new AMD Ryzen chips have been getting good reviews. I'm watching the Steam survey which at the moment has Intel with 79% and AMD with 21% CPU's users. Month by Month AMD keep slipping back lets see if they can turn it around.

Quote: "I'm back and will reply to your points in detail tomorrow"

Waiting with cup of tea in hand
PM
Corno_1
GameGuru Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "8 seconds on my i5"

i5 + Nvidea 6gb on HDD 1.06 min
with ssd 5 sec. So the game profit very much from a ssd. More than any game out there. This could be advertisment
My dream is to develope games, which makes fun when I create it and fun when other people play it.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2017 17:26 Edited at: 7th Jan 2017 17:26
Hey gang!
These reviews are exactly what I hoped for! Thank you very much! Since there are a lot of frequently mentioned points and since I've already replied to some of these, I'll summarize them first before I go on to more individual stuff:

The difficulty level:

I think this aspect surprised me the most reading your feedback! For some of you it was just right, some of you found it way too easy and the enemies no threat and others didn't make it past the first room and found it punishingly difficult. I expected it to be slanted in one direction or another but apparently you all have very different approaches to FPS Games.

I design my games on purpose to rarely require quick reaction times (like Bugsy) because I find that less relaxing. I'm more a Half Life kinda guy. Hence all combat can be approached slowly and you can usually escape a conflict by running away.

I think this divide happened because I did not design this with a unified goal in mind. I was a bit scatter brained. I partially wanted this to be a decent small shooter, partially wanted it to be a simple test. Originally this was supposed to play more like a painkiller game. The player had 450 hitpoints in the beta that regenerated immediately but I reevaluated that after having so much fun with Bugsy's more challenging game.

I think this led to some unfair spawns and bad balancing. Pretty sure something similar happened to the game "Psychotoxic" back in '04 which is why that was so incredibly tonally inconsistent.

What am I taking away from this?? A full length game is naturally having a less steep rise in difficulty but I'll also pick a tone and approach right away and stick to it to have it result in less of a clusterhump. I'll also experiment more with the AI OR maybe Lee will give us more freedom here later down the road.

And checkpoints!! Plenty of them.

The loading times

I know!! Its awful! If I could do something about it I would. Its also why I crammed that giant wall of text in.

The performance

This is a tough pill to swallow. Its simply atrocious. Magicians like Bugsy can work against it and Ertlov also managed to ram a pretty large map in that runs at a considerably high framerate but its still simply not good.
...and I don't really perceive it as my fault. The way this game looks and the amount of polygons on display at any given time should have this run at twice the framerate it currently has. Seeing how Level 1 runs a lot faster on everyones rig despite being really densely populated with characters and entities really shows how pathetically power hungry the terrain and water in GG are. Same with the native bloom effect that cuts my framerate usually right in half. I'm not keen on being forced to use external postprocessing to mimic an at least somewhat modern look.

If this fieldtest has proven one thing, it is that GG is insanely CPU dependant which is good to know but does not really help me when designing levels and that complex architecture with polygonal collision eats the FPS right up and causes dramatic slowdowns.

Special thanks to 25-WATTS for his overview!! More on this below.

The puzzle

I had no intention to put in a very challenging puzzle and just wanted to test standard functions that worked (way better) in FPSC. There was an entirely different puzzle in this level originally that I had to redesign and mostly remove last minute (which is why so many terminals don't do anything). This also explains some odd spawning. Oh well!! Its a real weakness of this game, especially how unclear the instructions are. Won't happen again.

Now on to a more personal level:

@Corno: Thanks for playing and sorry for causing so much frustration. I'm glad you liked it up until it bloody ran at 1 FPS. ...darn!

Quote: "I make now a harsh statement: Your game is like COD in Veteran, besindes the fact that nobody shout in your ear "Reload" or other stupid stuff."

I don't...I don't know what to think of this Is this good or bad? What call of duty? I always played it on veteran

@Dvader:
Quote: "So, yeah, probably a good idea to turn that off! "
Not a fan either, because it basically says "HEY BUDDY; GUESS WHAT? THIS ENGINE IS BAD!" but I wanted people to be able to improve their FPS any means necessary.

Quote: "if it had not been the fact you wanted feedback, I would probably have deleted it after the first try."

Thanks for sticking through! I owe ya one

Quote: "Please take my advice, play test these things properly in Standalone! Get someone who doesn't know the game to try it in Standalone."

As said above the difference of opinion on how difficult this game is vary greatly. I did send this to a play tester. He still thinks its too easy

Quote: "I must admit, I'm not keen on the custom weapons overall. They look pretty good, but the lack of right click improved aiming feels off, in comparison to GG's default weapons."

That was a deliberate choice because it was originally going to be a run and gun romp that I later changed which caused a bunch of the rough edges mentioned here. I generally prefer aiming and no crosshairs, so I'll have it that way in my future games though.

The popularity of gritty world war 2 shooters has standardized crosshair aiming back in the day and its pretty omnipresent now. Most classic shooters (half life² for example) don't have it though. I must say, I really like the feature myself and it was a tough choice to remove it for simplification (only to later overcomplicate things with an unclear door puzzle...but more on that above)

Quote: " Also, Game Guru the weird game maker? Lol."

Quote: "There's also a picture that looks suspiciously like a man in a hospital smock and high heels doing a vague vogue pose that seemed a little odd considering the setting."

Thats a woman. Its also just a white robe Its from an old advert that I modified. I had to guess which one you meant and attached it below.
While some of my old games where rather full with suggestive imagery, this one is really tame. I just figured people working in such a facility would hang up posters, adds and pinups.

@Belidos: I always appreciate your perspective and am very glad you liked it.

Quote: "There were a few patches of light with no source, it looks like the old issue where a wall or something is too thin, and the light mapper projects a light silhouette where there shouldn't be one,"

I made sure that they all had a source or at least a reflective reason to be there. But yes, the lightmapper caused me grief on this level. The sun causing bright patches and glitches I wasn't able to remedy. I've added massive walls and entire rooms around the level to no avail.

Quote: "Entities, some very good entities, used very well, i tried my hardest to get stuck, or break out of the area, but everything is pretty well placed, both physically and aesthetically."

Very encouraging! Thank you! Its something I aim to really improve on in later games with more handmade models rather than pack ones.

Quote: "just after opening the door i decided to save, and when i came back from the save the door was closed, but the collision was off on it"

I never noticed that!! Thanks for pointing it out. The kind of glitch that could ruin an entire game if people who aren't GG users won't try to walk through the door.

Quote: "
AI, this i was very impressed with, very responsive, used line of site and viewing angle very well, they actually chased, and even appeared to take cover, i actually spent a good 5 minutes running around being followed by one soldier, trying my best to glitch it through walls, get it to get stuck running in walls, to basically break it, which i couldn't, and the way you placed AI so that more would spawn in rooms behind you, so you had to be careful when back tracking, genius! Great job!"

Thanks! But I can't take credit for this. I just spawned a bunch of premade enemies. Before Bugsy released his game I just assumed the AI was completely unusable as everyone was criticising it so much. I'm glad I finally bothered to really test it because its far better than I expected and worlds apart from the simple scripts we had in FPSCreator. Happy hear you didn't find the spawning unfair.

Quote: "Story line/voice acting, it was an interesting, if a little generic, being an FPS game"

Originally this didn't have any plot at all, then I wanted it to be a more developed tie-in game to Bugsy and my Cyberpunk universe. With 3 voice actors and a more "present" story but then the year was approaching its end and I just slapped together what I had and this was the result. I couldn't let it go without at least some plot related motivation for the player. Test game or not.

Quote: "i love story lines, and like to get engrossed in them,"

I'm the same way. Doesn't need to be a cerebral and complex plot as long as its delivered nicely with some touch and atmosphere.
I promise there'll be more of that in full releases of mine.

Quote: "Overall, this is a really good game, if it had been longer, and published on Steam i would have purchased it, and i wouldn't have regretted the purchase at all."

Thank you!! Very good to hear. Bugsy and I have been playing with the idea to make a commercial game but I doubt that I'll find the time for a project of this magnitude in 2017.

@Bugsy: Well its about time!!

Quote: "This game is not difficult at all, enemies firing slower and all just running at you at once, they kinda feel "not deadly""

Some players didn't get past level 1 there, killer! Hah!! I promise future shoot outs will be designed a little more careful.

Quote: "I also must add that I'd rather have played a 6 minute level with 2 more simple little door puzzles than a 15 minute level where at a certain point I was frantically running around, hitting E at every computer screen I could. This was not a fun however many minutes."

No denying it! I screwed that up royally.

Quote: "one of the most graphically outstanding slideshows I've ever seen."

You had to say it didn't ya?? Thanks for suffering through it, I know anything below 60 FPS makes your blood boil.

Quote: "assuming I would do that."

Its not easy to spawn enemies in an open level like this without the player being able to see them appear out of thin air but I think I managed it.
Which beach did you take? Level start to the right or to the left? I should have added a few more easter eggs now that I think of it. Aaah! next time!

I'm glad you liked it visually. I found the amber and teal toning a bit lazy but we are both going to outdo ourselves in 2017 so lets improooove!
I find it a little frustrating that so few GG users really fine tune the ambience and surface sliders. Its a tool so easy and so quickly to our disposal :S

Quote: "audio. this is one guy with a mic here."

Don't forget my mean synthesizers

Quote: "the most intelligent as a large squad."

Sadly, they don't have any squad based behaviour whatsoever..wouldn't that be a blast tough? To have hostiles like in FEAR? A man can dream!

Quote: "no IK on hands for walk animations"

Yeah, the IK... I've had a few but then a buddy came along who was in a tight spot so I've lent him some, he never returned them and then I had this gal over which outright stole the last one I had. Such is life....what on earth is an IK?

Quote: " I think more differentiation would have been good here. being able to tell the rooms apart more by different lights and walls would have made it less like running around in sanatorium looking for pages terminals and hoping not to get swarmed by slenderman guys who look like theyve come from the paintball arena"

Thats a very good idea to be honest! I should keep that in mind when I design these bunkers.
And yeah! I like the enemie character models but they seem more like Airsoft players than real soldiers

Quote: "the MP5 feels like the M4, the glock feels like the beretta"

I know! I couldn't help it...I had to leave the M4 in the game. To my defence: the shortened, front gripped M4 would not be too different compared to a front gripped SMG. I'll balance them a ton more in any larger release though. You can count on that. I could kick myself for forgetting to deactivate the scope on the large caliber rifle though. How could I?? Especially after you pointed that out in beta.

Quote: "but what you have here is REALLY AWESOME and makes me want to somehow mention it in some way in my games story somewhere."

Go ahead!! It'd be an honour.
Thanks for the review and happy new year, buddy!! I hope the fact that I'll be around less and have a sleep schedule like a normal puny human in 2017 won't detract from our chats and cooperation.

@25 - WATTS:

That overview is way more than I hoped for. Would you mind if I copy your data into my upcoming GG review, taking this game as a "field test"? I also think I should mail that review to Lee once I penned it.

Sadly, the results are not too stellar
I can only hope there will be somewhat drastic improvements on the engine in regards to performance. I also hope there 'll be less CPU dependability.
There is a lot that can be done once we get to the rendering engine overhaul because terrain, water and postprocessing in GG are absolute murderous framerate and resource hogs.

Quote: "Wolf I just love this, you have crafted a great Game."

Thank you!! I'm really glad you liked the game and you really took me by surprise by testing it on so many different machines. Thanks again for that.
Lets hope 2017 will double our framerates!!

-Wolf

Attachments

25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Would you mind if I copy your data into my upcoming GG review"

I don't have a problem with this go ahead.

Quote: "just after opening the door i decided to save, and when i came back from the save the door was closed, but the collision was off on it"

I had this happen also same as Belidos

Me and my son who still lives at home have been playing games for a long time, me 40years and him about 30years. We have still got and played just about all the game console there have been from the Vectrex and Atari 2600 right up to Xbox One and PS4. He is a hard gamer with over 100,000 achievements on Xbox Live. After he had just completed Gears of war 4 he saw me playing Redacted - Hired Gun and said to me "that looks good" he has never use GameGuru so it was a completely unbiased view. For him to say something like that made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2017 14:56
Quote: "I don't have a problem with this go ahead."

Wonderful! That will add something tangible to my ramblings.

Quote: "We have still got and played just about all the game console there have been from the Vectrex and Atari 2600 right up to Xbox One and PS4."

I've had only one console in my life: The PSX. I just know that a newer one would not excite me as much as that one did back in the day so I'll just stick to my PC.

Quote: "he saw me playing Redacted - Hired Gun and said to me "that looks good" he has never use GameGuru so it was a completely unbiased view."

Wonderful!!

Also, why not introduce him to GG?

-Wolf
stor
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd love to know which models you used for the building on beginning of the game. the Ventilation pipes and the building itself.
You did very good job.
PM
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Also, why not introduce him to GG?
"

He works from home on his internet shop selling computer games. We are together 24/7 and get on really well he is 37 now, but we are like chalk and cheese, maybe thats why we get on so well. I try to talk to him about GameGuru but his eyes start to glaze over and it looks like he's going to fall asleep. Never has he said a word in 18 months about my game I'm doing. thats why I was blown away when he said "that looks good" about Redacted - Hired Gun. I don't think my game looks that bad, just don't have any guns in it. Must try and get a WIP up one day maybe that would be the push I need to finish it.

Having got the xbox 360 controller to work with GameGuru using joytokey program (Thanks to an old lordjulian post) my next job is to get my son to play Redacted - Hired Gun on the big screen and see what he thinks. Maybe give us some idea what a Steam user would think about it.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 13:36
Quote: "Having got the xbox 360 controller to work with GameGuru using joytokey program"

Why? GameGuru has XBox controller support, you just have to go into the setup.ini file and turn it on, there's also an option in there to choose which of the many variations of xbox controller layouts there are.

25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 14:03 Edited at: 10th Jan 2017 14:08
Quote: "Why? GameGuru has XBox controller support"

Hi Belidos

Yes you are right, got it to work some time ago. It was the turning that was way to slow. Messed about with this with no joy xboxcontrollertype=0

Maybe the microsoft xbox wireless dongle I'm using is the problem. Do you know anyone who have this type working? I have a sealed wired Xbox controller but I don't feel like opening it.
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 14:55 Edited at: 10th Jan 2017 14:57
I had it working perfectly with my wireless dongle, before i sold my xbox 360 and bought the xbox1, i think i had it on controller type 2 or 3, no idea about the xbox1 controller, i don't have a dongle for that yet.

25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " i think i had it on controller type 2 or 3."

Ok thanks, will give it another go soon
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2017 15:10
Just a thought though, what windows do you have? If i remember right it's only Windows 10 that has full driver support for the xbox controllers (the other versions of windows it either just works by luck, or you need to use something like x-padder or something), i run Windows 10, so if you don't, that may be why we get different results.

25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
Xbox 360 Controller test.

Just run through some tests again with Windows 10. Gone from 0 to 6 for the xboxcontrollertype=0. 0 (zero) seems to be the best but without the flash light working from the controller. Keyboard F still turn on flash light though. Couldn't find a run button ether.

However turning speed and look up and down is still way to slow and it's because it linked to the screen frames of the game. Using Asylum as a test map on my slow AMD 5350 I was getting 30FPS and was taking 16 seconds to do a full 360 deg turn not ideal. After turning off the bloom shadows etc the game was then running at 60FPS and the time to do a full 360 deg turn was halved at 8 seconds, better but still not playable. If this is so we would need something like 120FPS for the turn Right/Left and Up/Down to be at playable speed.

The joypad movement/input Left/Right and Up/Down should be updating in the real world game time, and not dependent on the speed of the screen update. The moving forwards and back controls are not dependent on what frames per second the game is doing and stays the same for 30 or 60FPS this is how turning left and right should be.

e.g. If you have a zombie at the end of a corridor walking towards you it should take the same time to reach the player if the screen frames per second are 30 or 60 he will walk smoother at 60FPS but will still take the same time as 30FPS. This also goes for the turning speed of the player should be fixed and not dependent on the frames per second of the game.
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd like to add I thought the difficulty was fine overall, not too easy and quite possible to get killed(as I found out). My main gripe was with one life, as it forces the old loading screen too quickly and that is a major weakness with any GG game. If it loaded as fast as Half Life 2 or most other linear shooters it wouldn't be an issue, but GG doesn't load as quickly as that. As I've said, it's the loading that has hindered all the recent GG games I've tried, which is a real shame as they are excellent otherwise.

I certainly think GG could do with a better way to restart in games like this, as it forces you to add more lives or increase health to avoid the loading screen. Especially on level 1, as technically it doesn't really need to load anything if you start it over, just restore the game to start up conditions. If GG could keep the last level loaded in memory, it could then avoid loading it entirely. That would make reloading the last level you died on far, far, faster and transform this game and others into really playable games. You would only have to watch a loading screen once for each level then, as GG would simply have to restart the level in memory. It would only fall down if you opted to restart from the beginning rather than hit retry, which would be the players choice.

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2017 14:19
Quote: "Must try and get a WIP up one day maybe that would be the push I need to finish it. "

Please do! I'd be very interested.

Quote: "but his eyes start to glaze over and it looks like he's going to fall asleep."

Haha!! My loved ones don't get it either.

Quote: "My main gripe was with one life, as it forces the old loading screen too quickly and that is a major weakness with any GG game"

As I said: I concur. The next release will have checkpoints in the hopes that the release after that will have contemporarily short loadingtimes à la source engine.

-Wolf
Mouaa
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jan 2017 01:53
Quote: "The next release will have checkpoints in the hopes that the release after that will have contemporarily short loadingtimes à la source engine. "

Good, i will try that, because i was borred to loose and have to restart the whole level.
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2017 21:25 Edited at: 26th Jan 2017 22:20
awww this looks so good. Will give it a try asap. This makes me kind of jealous^^ Compared to my stuff... I feel so small and stupid..... xD

edit: wow. awesome work, Stunning visuals and a great overall atmosphere ! Didn't finish it tough - Don't know where to go^^ I'll try it some other time, when I got more ... time xD
Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 270X

Youtube:
The German Music Dude: https://www.youtube.com/user/DeutscherVolker
DK Productions: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIqwvScXnJL_zNYqSsfTCqA
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2017 06:53 Edited at: 27th Jan 2017 06:55
Hey wolf just tested your game out. Fantastic work by the way! Some feedback:

- The load times were quite a killer though i understand that's not something you can really fix.
- The word "loading" seemed to also be over top of some of the text for me.
- Also the one of the weapons has a scope that when I zoom in, the HUD doesn't fill the whole screen.
- My first encounter with enemies is where I couldnt actually get past cause I kept dying. The enemies were able to shoot through the door so I wasn't able to actually get close enough to them to shoot. For some reason my first try the door refused to open. On my second play-through it opened.
- Great atmospheric sound and wonderful interior structure
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3 | TGC Assets - Store Link

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2017 09:50
Hey gang!

Thank you for playing!

Quote: "Didn't finish it tough - Don't know where to go"

Someone uploaded a playthrough of the first Level to youtube. So you can see where to go! I'd really like ya to see level 2

Quote: "Also the one of the weapons has a scope that when I zoom in, the HUD doesn't fill the whole screen."

I could kick myself for forgetting to deactivate that. My beta tester even pointed it out to me

-Wolf

Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2017 15:16
yeah I will definitely pick it up again wolf, you made something very good
Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 8,0 GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 270X

Youtube:
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2017 15:24
So did you with Hunted! And thanks
Duchenkuke
GameGuru VBOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2017 19:23
aw, thank you !

Youtube:
UberPig
Years of Service
User Offline
Most of the major points have been covered here quite nicely by other posters both as far as the good (really excellent environmental design, lighting,) and the less good (obscenely punishing difficulty to load time ratio) but most of all I must say the AI here was a damn near revelation. As someone who sometimes (often) struggles to get the enemies in my little project to exhibit even baseline competency, the responsive, aggressive AI here was a treat.
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2017 21:40
It keep telling me: "Not disk in D drive".
I have not D drive, just C.
Any idea why?

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 14:46 Edited at: 7th Feb 2017 14:46
@Uberpig:
Thank you for playing!!
Did you try building your game and testing it as standalone? They (the AI) tend to act differently in standalone than in testgame. To be honest: I didn't change the enemy AI scripts for this game so yours operate under the same code

@3com:

Quote: "It keep telling me: "Not disk in D drive".
I have not D drive, just C.
Any idea why?"

None, sorry :S My D: drive is the DVD drive and I see no point why GG should somehow look for that. Did you download it from Mediafire or IndieDB?
Have you had this problem with GG games from other users before?
Did somebody else encounter this problem?

-Wolf
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 19:09
Quote: "Did you download it from Mediafire or IndieDB? "

Mediafire

Quote: "Have you had this problem with GG games from other users before? "

Nope.

3com

PM
25-WATTS
Years of Service
User Offline
@3com

If your computer spec is what you are showing on your posts and by the speed of your mouse pointer in your video it look like it is then your computer is not up to the job of running Wolfs games.

The main problem would be the ram only being 4Gb. Your computer Intel HD graphics may be limited to only 1.7GB. Wolfs game was showing as taking 2GB on my computers so you would run out of memory and that 1.7GBs comes off your total of 4GBs

Error like this looking for D: drive always show up when GG is running low on memory.

Try going to the setup.ini file and change dividetexturesize=1 to dividetexturesize=2 or =4 or =6 until it loads. See how it goes. =2 can cut the total video ram needs by up to 50%.

If you do get it going it will run very slow on your Intel HD graphics.
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 22:14
@ 25-WATTS
Yah, you can be right, since I go very few fps with GG and my Intel HD graphics.
I Expect some drops with fps, but does not running out of mem; anyway I've tried to help Wolf, about their game behaviour in a low specs than mine, but apparently it is not possible.
Thanks for the tip.

3com

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2017 22:39
Yes, the engine might be looking for more memory to load the data (?) While I try to keep my texture and model sizes as small as possible, I do use a lot of them and thus it might have overloaded your system.

Thanks for your time and trying to play though!! And thanks to you, 25 Watts, for a very probable explanation.

-Wolf

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 15:52
@ Wolf
Your welcome.
Anyway that's not the end, I just should take some time to full configure my new destop, so resources are not more the issue, at least I hope so.

So, give me a week, and I'll be ready to try again.

3com

PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2017 17:53
Ha! Cool!

I was meaning to ask if you intended to buy a better computer but than figured that it might not be tactful. Good to know you treated yourself with a new setup
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2017 02:03 Edited at: 5th Apr 2017 02:04
Someone was so nice to upload a playthrough of level 1. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I forgot linking that?

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a version with the new AI ?
I will bet it will be a lot tougher .
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2017 02:28
That is an idea that has "sequel" written all over it.

If possible, I could upload save games for level 2, if there is still any interest in that?
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I could upload save games for level 2, if there is still any interest in that?"

I wouldn't say no to that
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2017 19:18
Glad to hear Synchro! You also have the hardware to run it. Check back later and I'll attach it to this post or send you in skype.
Payam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2017 22:37 Edited at: 10th Apr 2017 22:53
Hi,
Very nice job, I can't remember seeing a game from you in years, very powerful comeback
I played the game a few days ago, for being more precise I replayed some parts again for a few times.
I just want to be constructive and that's why I spent lots of time playing your game and writing all these. I'm sure I can't do such thing with GG myself but I saw some problems and I have some suggestions that may help anyone who read my reviews.
I reviewed the game in 2 ways.

First [review as a Game Designer with consideration of limitations] :
The quality is better than most of GG games, it was fun to see some models from old FPSC again.
The quality boosted up even more by using Reshade. I think you showed us that it is necessary to have more post processing effects in GG games.
I'm sure it is cool to see more of them in the next version of GG so we can use them directly in engine and see the result while testing our games.
It is clear that integrated post effects will be more optimized than using another program like Reshade.
As a free game, the quality and overall gameplay is at a very good level. The environment is so detailed in some areas and medium at other parts which means the overall detail is good.

If you can't see the image use this link :
http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/6j9m6ohtgqp8.jpg

After all I think the game is good enough to be entertaining for a few minutes, I'm sure if you make a complete game with more than 10 levels, there are lots of people who wants to buy it.

In the second level my frame rates dropped sometimes even at 1080p. Comparing the frame rate with some of the most advanced games in terms of graphics like Crysis 3, Doom, Battlefield 1, Hitman, Rise of the tomb raider, etc. I just can say ..... em ..... ah.... nothing.
I think GameGuru developers need a lot of concentration on optimizing the engine first. Maybe an emigration to the brand new Vulkan API which will be so hard to implement can help incredibly. But for now, easier tasks like instancing and batch rendering for duplicated objects and culling non-visible objects can boost the performance a lot.
In both levels of the game, my CPU usage never exceeded 25% and I saw no use of multi threading which is not strange as we can't see it in many modern games. Using a little more CPU to do some tasks like culling non-visible objects can help the GPU to render the environment at higher frame rate.
Well this screenshot shows the CPU and VRAM usage @4K resolution, consider that my second monitor was on to see the task manager and MSI afterburner while I'm in the game, this means that it uses a little more VRAM than having only one monitor enabled.My VRAM usage with both monitors enabled, without running any game, is around 800MB.

http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/y10gu30kk1j2.jpg

Also the game designers must try harder to keep their games as optimized as possible.
I can suggest that before adding any model to your game, first make a backup then lower the resolution of the textures and even delete normal map and specular map and use simpler shader for unimportant objects.
Just keep the important objects and characters as what they are.
Try to learn making 3D objects and how to optimize them. So you can use as many polygons as needed, not more.

Actually I can't see people forming teams in the forum to co-operate in making games, none of us have the full knowledge of making a perfect game. I think it's better to concentrate on only a few parts of a game and let other people do the rest. Everyone are just competing to be better which is good but not ideal.
If any of us write a story, do the voice acting, create musics, code the game mechanics and AI, make 3D models, make animations, etc. alone we wont be even good at most parts.

Second [review as a gamer with no mercy]
Some problems are not related to the game itself and are GG's problems but I consider this game as a good one around here and I think if anyone want to publish a game as good as this one but with the exact same problems, there is no chance to be successful in sale and user score.

First I copied the game to my ssd, so the loading was fast enough to finish before reading even half of the text. After 3 loadings I managed to read it all. Here comes the first problem. I think the game should not start after the loading is finished. A hint which is saying "Press any key to continue" can simply fix this.

The first thing I noticed was my frame rate which was higher than 100fps @4K resolution so I closed the game and turned it off using the setup.ini
I think there must be some graphic settings, in the menu, so players can change things without closing the game.

103 FPS @4K :

http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/qytecj56ji57.jpg
In the screenshot above you can see that some models have a very good texture while others are so low. It's better to use textures with same quality as more as possible.

After opening the game again I felt the menu music is not telling anything.
I believe the music in movies and games must tell something, it can be about the atmosphere, situation, story, feeling of a character or anything else.

I couldn't read a few words in the loading screen because the word "LOADING" was on top of it.

http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/7snjg0u7qohy.jpg

The main menu and loading screen design are so simple. A more dynamic Main menu could make the experience a lot better as it is the first thing we see in the game. Main menu of some games are so beautiful that you want to keep watching it for hours, I don't expect that quality but a simple background picture wont do anything.

One of the weapons was not pointing at the center of the screen while shooting exactly at center.

http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/27mm23l4lozq.jpg

There was some lighting problems in the lighting in level 1. Some object where brighter than others.

http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/mp7a461ae14f.jpg

Also, there was a hole showing the outside world

http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/16amqyvg4kiz.jpg

The voice acting was not good and not clear. I couldn't understand some parts. I have Logitech z506 which is a high quality 5.1 system. So I had to replay from my save to hear again and again

I found some models with awful textures and UV's in level 2 :

http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/h7nalxqbhp6f.jpg

http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/04r1z3rsnohv.jpg

I'm not sure if I had to go to this place or not but the terrain texture is so bad and tiling is clearly visible like games from 15 years ago or more.It actually reminds me Hitman: codename 47 from 2000.

http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/651u5cw7p6i9.jpg

after going back to the right place with enemies around, I simply walked through an object.

http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/gso2zpdj23el.jpg

In the second level I got this while in zoom mode.
And also I was hearing no musics and ambient sounds after a few minutes, I think you forgot to make it loop.

http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/gtgn1h5fmwdz.jpg

After being killed by enemies, there could be options, to choose if I want to quit or continue from my save.
But it just goes back to the main menu and I had to watch the loading screen again, If it was on my HDD it could take hours.

Finally I finished the game without encountering any bosses and it got even more disappointing when I saw the Game Complete message without any further information on the story part. Even a few lines of text telling the rest of the story could make it tolerable.

I think this is the most beautiful part of the game which still lacks a good vegetation shader (4K Screenshot) :

http://s6.uplod.ir/i/00874/m6z53z5yasxk.jpg

End of the review (more like finding problems) .

I hope to see more games from you. I'm sure you are very talented.

If anyone has the plan to make a game and publish it through digital stores, more innovation is needed. A lot more. There are thousands of shooters out there, so there is less chance to convince a gamer to buy your shooter if it is only a shooter.
I7-6850K, 32GB ram, GTX 1080 GamingX, SSD 840EVO 500GB.
Interview with me by Retro Games Master :
http://www.retrogamesmaster.co.uk/self-portrait
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2017 17:45
Hello Payam! Thanks for your detailed review
There are some points that where very on point and others where I think you overestimated the scope of this project. I've developed this as a test game to see if making a somewhat decent FPS game is even possible in GG and to see if the necessary basic functions I need for my real project are easy enough to do. Regardless: All of your points are valid and correct either way.

Quote: "I think you showed us that it is necessary to have more post processing effects in GG games."

Depends! I'm not the biggest fan of "cluttering the screen" with lenzflarez but since my current projects are all cyberpunk/sci fi it helps the aesthetic.
I don't recommend it for every game though. Post Processing in GG itself has also improved since the release of this game

Quote: "It is clear that integrated post effects will be more optimized than using another program like Reshade."

So far the opposite was the case with GG, sadly. The native bloom effect was an incredible framerate murderer at the time of this games release.

Quote: "As a free game, the quality and overall gameplay is at a very good level. The environment is so detailed in some areas and medium at other parts which means the overall detail is good."

Ha thanks! I was mostly having fun designing these 2 levels. consistent quality wasn't that important for this.

Quote: "After all I think the game is good enough to be entertaining for a few minutes, I'm sure if you make a complete game with more than 10 levels, there are lots of people who wants to buy it."

Ha thanks! It won't be a bare bones test shooter like this though.

Quote: "Also the game designers must try harder to keep their games as optimized as possible. "

This is true. I've said this a couple of times before but I can't expect you to read the entire thread before reviewing so:
This is partly my fault. I've developed this game on my lower tier laptop and assumed it would just run way better on proper gaming rigs. However, this was not the case as we found out that GG is highly CPU dependant and only 32 bit app. Thus the 2nd level also lagged on plenty of PC's far better than my 2,20GHZ I5 laptop.

Quote: "I can suggest that before adding any model to your game, first make a backup then lower the resolution of the textures and even delete normal map and specular map and use simpler shader for unimportant objects."

This is hard to do consistently and generally not the best way to optimize a game. Making LOD stages, well optimized textures and good draw calling would be the way to go here. I'd never suggest removing normalmaps to anyone. That aside, there is only one shader for scenery in Game Guru.

Quote: "Actually I can't see people forming teams in the forum to co-operate in making games, none of us have the full knowledge of making a perfect game. I think it's better to concentrate on only a few parts of a game and let other people do the rest. Everyone are just competing to be better which is good but not ideal."

In an ideal world, yes. But I've been making games as a hobby for 10 years now and I think the likelihood of a team that formed online finishing a final game is as high as getting hit by a car. I've been part of enough teams that just disintegrated once the initial excitement wore off and won't join any bunch of indies anymore unless I know them very well or I'd get hired by a formed studio.

If you read the making offs or listen to interviews to indie groups that formed over the web that successfully developed a game you'll find that most had dire problems with members just not doing the work or simply not responding after a while. It almost never works.

What we have here is the community. You could say that this is a large scatterbrained studio as we are all helping each other out. Just this little test game here includes tons of content from members here on the community. I also don't know why you get the impression that we are competitive? I don't think we are!

And now to the gamer without mercy review

Quote: "I think if anyone want to publish a game as good as this one but with the exact same problems, there is no chance to be successful in sale and user score."

Again, this isn't a product, its a test run. I'd never dream of putting something like this up for sale.

Quote: "First I copied the game to my ssd, so the loading was fast enough to finish before reading even half of the text. After 3 loadings I managed to read it all. Here comes the first problem. I think the game should not start after the loading is finished. A hint which is saying "Press any key to continue" can simply fix this."

Thats what ya get for putting it on the SSD
There where only 2 reasons I added a story to this in the first place. 1.) So there was a motivation to push forward in the game and 2.) to put something to read on the loading screen because it loaded ages for most people.

Quote: "The first thing I noticed was my frame rate which was higher than 100fps @4K resolution so I closed the game and turned it off using the setup.ini"

I don't understand this sentence. You turned off the frame rate?

Quote: "In the screenshot above you can see that some models have a very good texture while others are so low. It's better to use textures with same quality as more as possible."

I absolutely agree. For this part of the game I just stitched some unrelated models together to give the player the illusion he climbed down some maintenance vent thingie. That low res thing is a hallway I bought off the store. I figured it was fine for this game. While there will certainly be differences in quality in the models in my full project, it won't be this severe anywhere.

Quote: "After opening the game again I felt the menu music is not telling anything."

I think I just left it to default.

Quote: "One of the weapons was not pointing at the center of the screen while shooting exactly at center."

Jupp! That was very frustrating to port. The first port had the weapon floating in his hand pointing upwards. After a lot of messing around this was as close as I could get it so I kept it.

Quote: "Some object where brighter than others."

Thats a GG thing, I managed to keep it to a minimum though. I haven't encountered it in recent builds though so I hope it won't happen again.

Quote: "Also, there was a hole showing the outside world "

Yikes! I hate it when that happens.

Quote: "The voice acting was not good and not clear. I couldn't understand some parts."

I just recorded it on my laptop. This will also be a lot clearer in future releases. For this I found it serviceable.

Quote: "I found some models with awful textures and UV's in level 2"

Very true for the first model, for the second one its a problem with how GG used to render normalmaps before Preben gave us some of his magic.

Quote: " but the terrain texture is so bad and tiling is clearly visible like games from 15 years ago "

I've noticed this but didn't mind so much. I was happy to have the colour and look of tropical beach sand down. Its a flaw I'd look at in a bigger project though.

Quote: "after going back to the right place with enemies around, I simply walked through an object."

Yikes again! Huge flaw.

Quote: "And also I was hearing no musics and ambient sounds after a few minutes, I think you forgot to make it loop."

The music was indeed intended to play only once but the ambient sounds should have looped. I dont know what caused this though :S

Quote: "In the second level I got this while in zoom mode."

Yikes the third. I know, even though my beta tester told me this I still forgot to deactivate the zoom mode.

Quote: "Finally I finished the game without encountering any bosses and it got even more disappointing when I saw the Game Complete message without any further information on the story part. Even a few lines of text telling the rest of the story could make it tolerable."

Again, this was due to the nature of it being more a tech test than a full game that I polished enough to be enjoyable as a game but not quite like a full one. I could have done a bit more here, that is true. As far as the story is concerned: After you retrieved the data rod and managed to escape they shell the island with artillery.

Quote: "I think this is the most beautiful part of the game which still lacks a good vegetation shader"

I know you speak from modern gaming standards but to me that shot is just beautiful. Thanks for uploading it in 4K, I run on 1600*900 and its nice to see my game like this. Plus again: GG does not have a vegetation shader, we use the same shader for almost all scenery.

Quote: "I hope to see more games from you. I'm sure you are very talented."

Thank you! Please check out my primary project here and let me know what you think

Quote: "If anyone has the plan to make a game and publish it through digital stores, more innovation is needed. A lot more. "

Oh yes! I agree in general. Have you seen the dirt a lot of people where putting up on steam greenlight? I'm happy that valve is killing that service off. We need "gatekeepers" to keep indie gaming quality. Steam Greenlight was just a cesspool in my opinion.

Quote: "There are thousands of shooters out there, so there is less chance to convince a gamer to buy your shooter if it is only a shooter."

I've released a few simple 1 to 2 level games in the past for fun but I think my big projects where all innovative and creative enough as they usually drew a sizable crowd of people who where interested. I think a game needs to have its own "soul". Yet it can just be a shooter. A lot of small and middlemarket studios make this mistake: Innovation for innovations sake. Look at it like this: if you have an awesome story/concept for a third person shooter, than by all means make a third person shooter. Make the best third person shooter you can just don't attach any silly gimmick to it. I hate gimmicks and they have taken over middle market gaming for a while.

Half Life² is just a shooter at its core. Its the universe and the feel they crafted around it that made it stand out and something very special.

A lot of developers make a terrible game around an innovative idea/ marketing gimmick. Here are some, you likely never heard of most of these game despite them doing some unique things:

Inversion : Its Gears of War! With gravity manipulation.

Steam Slug: Its Gears of War! Only with Steampunk!

Deep Black Reloaded : Its Gears of War! UNDERWATER

Fracture: Its Gears of War! With destroyable terrain

Dark Void: Its G o W. With jetpacks!

All these are innovative. Innovatively terrible.

My primary is also just a shooter at its core. My shooter, with my ideas, my priorities and my story to it. Gamers that like what they see will be invited to play and I hope they enjoy it but I don't cater to them. Here is an example: In my main project you can only checkpoint at a coffee machine. I'm sure this will frustrate a lot of players but I think its funny so it stays in the game.

Again! Thanks for the detailed review. I know its probably too much to ask but could you play through the game and maybe film it?? I don't have much to offer in return except for one of my model packs. I can't record with this laptop...it would be a slideshow. (720p would be sufficient.)

If you are up for it, I could also send you the beta for the big project. You have an eye for flaws!

-Wolf
Honkeyboy
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2017 23:11 Edited at: 12th Apr 2017 23:30
Ok i got bored of doing my own games so i thought i'd give yours a go tonight m8 hehe i was kinda expecting to get cripplingly slow fps but to my amazement i didn't it does dip down from time to time but I'm getting lows of about 30 fps - highs around 108-111 the lows were just for a second in a couple of places so thats pretty blooming impressive with my I5 with its crappy 7 series Radeon. I'm not going to comment on your level design m8 tbh as it was as i expected from what i see of your work nuff said on that lol.
I did spot a couple of things while reading the intro, dunno if anyone pointed it out (yes i actually read it) lol was you have strenght instead of strength (was you tired) lol and not too sure on this so checked it and i think its seal instead of seel from what i read (not nit picking m8 just thought i'd let you know as i know you like things just so)
A.I sweet they actually do chase you about (why dont mine do that?) lol
Played so far past the first 4-5 doors then ran out of ammo, before i got chance to change the weapon got ganked and shat mi pants lol (beatches) i'll get them tomorrow you got those set to spawn cos they proper just come out of nowhere (nice effect) anyway m8 i like it and am proper impressed with how it runs on my machine.(wish i could get that sort of fps on my open maps) will have another hour or so at it tomorrow (late now)

ahh yeah found it : Seal (mechanical), a device which helps prevent leakage, contain pressure, or exclude contamination where two systems join
might want to change those
Intel i5 4950 Quad core 3.3ghz AMD FX 6300 x6 cores 3.5ghz(unclocked)
8gb Ram 8gb Ram
AMD Radeon 7570 1gb AMD Radeon HD 6670 2gb
and a well fed mouse on a wheel

I only smile because i have absolutely no idea whats going on

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 05:46:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 05:46:28