3rd Party Models/Media Chat / How do i create my own ground/texture with gimp

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 17th Dec 2016 14:25
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I could do with a step by step of creating and using my own ground textures, I have made a couple of models in blender and mapped/textured them with gimp (thanks to unfamiliar's tutorials) what I am trying to do is create roads/pavements (UK) what I am not sure about is do I just carry on and make them as entity's or can I not just create a texture and 'paint' it on as it were, I see there is an entity bank but also a terrain bank this is the one I am interested in but do not know where to start.

have I got this all wrong LOL help

regards
Kevan
Welcome to the real world!
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 03:28 Edited at: 19th Dec 2016 03:29
For terrains you will just need the textures.

In the terrainbank folder, copy one of the folders and rename it to your liking.
Find seamless textures you want to use for your road textures. (Striping lines will not be good for this)
Do you have the .dds plug in for GIMP? Do you have the photo normal map plugin also?
That will be the output of the files you want.
Open the textures in GIMP.
You will need to save these files to the names in the folder you copied over. Keep the same names, different textures.

For the _D textures:
Apply a layer mask for greyscale copy of the layer, and apply it.
This will make the texture transparent. Dont sweat that yet.
Save as using .dds format in the DXT5 compression.

For the _N textures:
You can use a photo normal map plugin to generate these from the Textures you found for your terrain.
Save these in .dds format with DXT1 compression.

The detail map is a greyscale copy of your default texture, then apply a greyscale layer mask to it.
Save this file at .dds format with DXT5 compression.

Erase the superpalet.ter file.

Open Game Guru and run a test game. Go into the metrics panel and choose your new terrain as the choice.
It will generate and then you should have your new terrain working.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

GraPhiX
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 10:47
Well that was very straight forward, feel embarrassed for asking now LOL thank you so much Pirate Myke, I'm not too concerned about the lines just yet,
would you recommend that I don't go higher than 1024x1024 with the textures or is that too much.

thank you
Kevan
Welcome to the real world!
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2016 13:56
You are welcome.

You can use higher then 1024 x 1024, but the bigger the terrain textures the less fps you will get.
This is because the terrain draw is every loop of the engine.

2048 x 2048 is not to bad.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 18:34:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 18:34:33