Scripts / Enemy attack each other?

Author
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: OUT DOOR GAMES
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 07:55
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/207801?page=5#msg2500805

The above link is about Allies vs enemies. But this script is not working. I did everything.

if the map is large and you get some "doesn't exist" error then try set always active = yes
Change distance between them. (1200 is limited i guess)
"enemy.lua;45; attempt to call global 'GetDistance' (a nil value) fixed but character stand idle.
Any way most of the free scripts dont work properly. (you must have the knowledge of scripting otherwise it will be tough to fix problems) That's why i buy gameguru so i can avoid scripting.

Is there any way that Enemy attack each other. Plus the classic characters, E.g Doctor, Female and all unarmed characters start running if any one fire at them. Is'nt it looks strange that you are firing at them and they are doing nothing but stand idle? especially policeman? Kindly guide me...
How is it Mario can smash through bricks... But he dies when he touches a turtle?
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 13:48
Look in global.lua and you will probably find that GetDistance doesn't exist (hence the 'nil value' error), it has probably been renamed since that script was written.

I don't know why people want to avoid scripting, the only way of making a game do what *you* want it to do is through some form of control script, otherwise all *your* game will do is what someone else scripted it to do. (this applies to ALL game engines btw, at least with GG the scripting language is really easy to learn compared to many other languages)

smallg is really good at updating the free scripts if you report that they don't work in the thread btw.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM
Sulman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 14:11
Game Guru homepage advertise this;

"Create, play and share fun games on your PC with absolutely no technical knowledge needed!

Have you always dreamed of making a game but have no wish to delve into the mystical realms of programming or 3d art? GameGuru allows you to fufill your dreams in a non technical, fun and extremely easy to share way."

Quote: "I don't know why people want to avoid scripting"

How its easy to criticize now days. I dont want to go into that debate. Because you are selling your software by advertising that you can make a game without non technical knowledge. One man is doing Rigging, modeling, Animating, motion capturing, story writing.... Then you ask him to learn scripting? I love exploring and learn new things. But i bought this software only for one reason. Thats what you advertise. I hope some one come up with good solution.

How is it Mario can smash through bricks... But he dies when he touches a turtle?
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 14:18 Edited at: 12th Dec 2016 14:20
Quote: "Because you are selling your software by advertising that you can make a game without non technical knowledge."

And you absolutely can, to a basic standard. They never said you would be able to make complicated intricate master pieeces.

If you want to create games above that basic standard, then you have to learn more about the system you are using. Nothing mis-sold here, just a lot of people who want to do more than what comes as standard, then complaining when they have to put a little effort into it.

Oh and cherry picking pieces of the homepage isn't an argument, to be more complete, it later also says very clearly ...

Quote: " If later, you want to take your creations further or perhaps delve into the world of strange technical magic, GameGuru can do that too, with editing tools and a mystical scripting language for those who want to take their game creation to an even greater and more complex level.

The power is there at your fingertips!"

Which is exactly what o'm talking baout.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Sulman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 14:46
Quote: "Nothing mis-sold here"

No one said that. Why you are taking into negative and different debate. I just use that advertisement part to express myself that i bought that software because i dont know about scripting. I am not complaining about advertisement... or mis sold. I love game guru. I dont know why we are even discussing this. I just humbly request that is there any way that Enemy attack another enemy. Thats all. I think you should read again

Quote: "Is there any way that Enemy attack each other. Plus the classic characters, E.g Doctor, Female and all unarmed characters start running if any one fire at them. Is'nt it looks strange that you are firing at them and they are doing nothing but stand idle? especially policeman? Kindly guide me... "
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 14:47
Not sure what you mean by "I hope some one come up with good solution". If you are referring to the scripts you can't get working then I already suggested a solution, report the errors you are getting to the author.

If you mean fix it so you can make a game with absolutely no effort whatsoever then I'm afraid that's never going to happen. With GG as it currently stands you can carve out a terrain (or even just let GG create one for you) and populate it with a ton of models. You can fiddle with sliding bars to your hearts content until you get the look you want, change sky/terrain texture combinations, add fog, shadows etc for ambience, you can even populate this little world with NPCs (rather dumb ones but you can't have everything ).

But what GG can't do is figure out your game for you, it can't make up the storyline, it can't guess where you want the player to go or what you want the player to do. All these things, the things that make your creation a 'game' rather than simply a pretty shooting range (like the proverbial fish in a barrel) have to be provided by the author and the only way of telling the engine these things is through scripting (not 'programming', no-one is asking you to recompile the engine after bashing out some C++) of some kind.

Even if Lee added some form of drag and drop Lua command thingy it still wouldn't be able to read your mind and put them all in the right order for you.

Lua is dead easy to learn, in fact in 40 years of code development I can honestly say I've not encountered anything simpler and learning it will stand you in good stead seeing as it is also used in other game engines (like Unity for example).
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 14:52
I just noticed something, if you go to the thread post in your link then the very next post in the thread answers your question, i.e. you need to add the commands in that post to the global.lua script.
PM
Sulman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 14:59
Quote: "Not sure what you mean by "I hope some one come up with good solution". If you are referring to the scripts you can't get working then I already suggested a solution, report the errors you are getting to the author.

If you mean fix it so you can make a game with absolutely no effort whatsoever then I'm afraid that's never going to happen. With GG as it currently stands you can carve out a terrain (or even just let GG create one for you) and populate it with a ton of models. You can fiddle with sliding bars to your hearts content until you get the look you want, change sky/terrain texture combinations, add fog, shadows etc for ambience, you can even populate this little world with NPCs (rather dumb ones but you can't have everything ).

But what GG can't do is figure out your game for you, it can't make up the storyline, it can't guess where you want the player to go or what you want the player to do. All these things, the things that make your creation a 'game' rather than simply a pretty shooting range (like the proverbial fish in a barrel) have to be provided by the author and the only way of telling the engine these things is through scripting (not 'programming', no-one is asking you to recompile the engine after bashing out some C++) of some kind.

Even if Lee added some form of drag and drop Lua command thingy it still wouldn't be able to read your mind and put them all in the right order for you.

Lua is dead easy to learn, in fact in 40 years of code development I can honestly say I've not encountered anything simpler and learning it will stand you in good stead seeing as it is also used in other game engines (like Unity for example)."

Strange. Topic is not about learning scripting... Plus am not saying spoon feeding. I am confuse by the answers. Never mind i hope some one will understand the topic.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 15:12
You say in the OP that you 'did everything' but the scripts did not work, yet you didn't add the commands to the global.lua script as described in the very next post on the thread you got the scripts from.

The other weird bit is where you say that you got GG to avoid scripting yet you are in fact trying to use scripts!
PM
Sulman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 15:20
zzzzZZZZzzzzzzz....... Forgive me, I will never ask any question again.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 16:04
Apologies if you didn't mean it that way, but to me the way you worded and quoted, it seemed like you were complaining that GameGuru was sold as a game system that had no coding, and that you were annoyed with having to figure out code, and i was just pointing out that it wasn't sold under those terms.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Sulman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 16:15
Quote: "Apologies if you didn't mean it that way, but to me the way you worded and quoted, it seemed like you were complaining that GameGuru was sold as a game system that had no coding, and that you were annoyed with having to figure out code, and i was just pointing out that it wasn't sold under those terms."

Dear Sir Belidos,
I have a great respect for you and you are dear to me. You dont need to apologies. My bad may be i lack some communication skill (English is not my first language) No worries. Good wishes and please take care.
Freakon
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 16:17
Quote: "Forgive me, I will never ask any question again"

Sulman, do not be put off! Ask as many questions as you need, but leave out the unnecessary bits, just stick to the question and what you have done so far, it helps the thread stay on topic and is a spring board to get the help you need.

This is a very complex script, GG is not where it should be and a lot of community fixes are in place. There is a feature vote and twitch broadcasts to offer assistance until new features are added.

You need to realign the focus of the thread now and try get some support from smallg or the valued members.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 16:36
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/207801?page=5#msg2500807

Direct link to the answer if that helps.
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2016 17:04 Edited at: 12th Dec 2016 17:09
amen is correct in that they miss the 2 extra functions but i already fixed them in my email to you yesterday and they now work fine (albeit very basic) but as i explained, GG is not at a time where allies can be freely dragged into the game without some user effort.
however perhaps this one is better suited to your game though?
https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/207801?page=15#msg2550158
simply name the soldiers on one team all the same (and repeat for all sides/teams).
note* the first soldier you place will be the team of the player.
and assign a gunshot sound at slot1 for them.
these will follow waypoints until they find a target too.

p..s thanks for reporting and the original post is now correct too
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Sulman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2016 07:05
lol no am not using it after all that leg pulling debate. Keep it to yourself.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-21 15:17:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-21 15:17:56