Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2016 13:41
Hi guys, i'm using Sketchup in order to continue to learn and create 3d models.
I haven't touched this for a few years because my father was very ill and died, but now i'm finding the passion again.
Currently i'm busy with a house and have the plan to make some housing blocks which are enterable and with only groundlevel so that the ai works in GG.
The house i'm making currently, has a stairway to a second floor where the bedrooms are and a bathroom.
When they are finished these models will be shared for free at the other subforum.

I'm curious about your opinion and will need your advice on some occasions because i'm still learning.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2016 19:03
Looking good. Keep in mind that AI needs a little more space then normal to pass thru door and arches.

Allow 4 ft wide and 8 ft tall for openings. This will prevent AI from hanging up on the corners.

The AI capsule can also be adjusted in the setup.ini file in the game guru foot folder.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2016 22:16
Thanks, will make sure the openings are 4ft wide and 8ft high

Also i'm going to remove the windows and add them as separate entities, the doors as well.

Thanks for your reply and advice Pirate Myke.
Pirate Myke
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2016 01:05
Your welcome.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 8gb RAM, Nvidia gtx660, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Screen resolution 1680 x 1050.

grobyken
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2016 13:39 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2016 13:45
I use Sketchup for a lot of my initial modelling and would give just one bit of advise if I may. Be careful not to make your models on Sketchup as one piece if they are going to be as complicated as your picture 4. The reason for this is GG seems to have a great deal of trouble with handling them and fps can drop dramatically when the user approaches certain parts of the building. My advise make any large buildings modular to eliviate this problem. Also means the game designer can use your modules in a number of ways.

An example is my Cathedral kit. I could build a cathedral in Sketchup reasonably easy but it would be a nightmare in GG so I am building it as a series of modules. See here https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/213533
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2016 14:56
Quote: "See here https://forum.game-guru.com/thread/213533"

That looks really good, awesome work

I was thinking about making it modular because it must be textured as well, now i definitely have a good reason to do it, thanks grobyken.

That means a new start because the openings are to small also in the current building.
One question i have, do you apply textures in Sketchup or do you use another programm?
There are some great textures available in the sketchup club but i'm at a loss on how to apply the difusse, normal and specular.
TazMan
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2016 11:17
the way I do diffuse, normal and specular is I start with the standard color texture and add this to Mindtex, it is a great little program that even allows you to apply the textures on your own model so you can see how it looks in real time. This will then allow you to save the textures out to whichever maps you want. It is very cheap and makes creating normal, diffuse and specular maps.
HP Pavilion Laptop - AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics - 1.6GHz, 8GB Memory, Windows 10 Home, 64-bit Operating System.

I've got something to say - It's better to burn out than fade away.
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2016 16:32
Quote: "the way I do diffuse, normal and specular is I start with the standard color texture and add this to Mindtex, it is a great little program that even allows you to apply the textures on your own model so you can see how it looks in real time."

Wow, that is indeed a great little program for generating the maps.
Thankyou TazMan, this is really helpful, will buy this at Steam.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 9th Nov 2016 17:13
Quote: "Wow, that is indeed a great little program for generating the maps.
Thankyou TazMan, this is really helpful, will buy this at Steam. "

If you'd gone to the third party tools section of the forum you could have got a free beta version of Normalizator, a piece of software written by Oldpman from the community that basically does what MIndtex does, only less complicated.

It pretty much creates spot on normal and specular maps from your texture map for basic models, and has settings to tweak if you want more specific maps.

The community have actually funded his greenlight for him and it's in the process of being added to greenlight on Steam.

It might be worth waiting for it to get greenlit and getting that instead or as well, because seriously it is so much easier to use than Mintex and i've found it produces much better maps with less effort

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Earthling45
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2016 00:42
Than i'll wait until the version of Normalizator is available on steam
I can download a trail version of mindtex which is fully functional for 30 days in the meantime if i need it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-30 00:21:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-30 00:21:04