Scripts / ezplatform.lua progress update (Lee Bamber please attend)

Author
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 20:51 Edited at: 19th Oct 2016 20:53
https://vimeo.com/188037918

Ok so before launching into a description of progress I'd like to refer to the video which shows up the 'issues' I mentioned on another thread.

The video is in 3rd person mode as I had too many problems in first person, when on a platform that is moving horizontally you can see a strange vibration going on, when on a rising or descending platform the player seems to be moving in discreet steps whereas the platform is moving smoothly. Rotating platforms, well I'll let you see that for yourself!

First person mode need a whole lot more work and probably an engine tweak or two.

I've attached the latest version of the script for those that want to play with it, make sure the name of the entity matches an entry in both lists (btw 200x200 floor tiles don't appear to be 200x200 so you might want to look for better entities than the ones Iv'e used).

I plan to post a tutorial style thread, hopefully a 'sticky' so I can help people with using this script (be aware it is not fully finished yet!) and maybe so people can post their really cool movement sequences. There should be enough examples in the fpm/script to give people a start though.

As I mentioned before I am working on a way of adding curved paths and acceleration/deceleration but there should be enough there for now to keep people occupied.

Please use this thread to add any suggestions for improvements.
Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 22:07
In order to overcome the 'freeze' position problems in 3rd person I added a global variable to the script referencing the player character (g_player_id), to set this simply place the character down somewhere in editor mode and hover the mouse over it, the entity id will then be displayed, then extract the character and attach it to the start marker as per normal. Edit the script and set the g_player_id to the value that was displayed. Experimentation shows that as long as you don't delete the player character, once it is set it seems to stay at that value. I haven't tried a standalone yet but it should work ok.

For first person the only way to get the player to move and rotate with the platfor it is on is to use the freeze commands but it appears that they have some problems, in particular the angle values seem to be integer so we can only 'freeze' in 1 degree increments, not exactly leading to very smooth results!

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 22:28
Updated script, works better in first person.

Attachments

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2016 23:14
Slight bug fix before I go to bed.

Attachments

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2016 19:53
Another fun example (I know it's a bit rubbish but it only took 5 minutes!) to show what the script is capable of.

Attachments

PM
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2016 14:59
Put the scripts in a directory/folder in the scriptbank called Platform_Stuff btw!

This example includes interaction, the lift is controlled by where the player stands on it, one corner takes it to the first floor another to the second etc.

The platform across the water shows how to trigger platforms.

The platform from the fourth floor just goes on a long meander and returns back to the start.

Can't seem to get Lee's attention to comment on the issues regarding the freeze commands though.

Attachments

PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-30 12:40:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-30 12:40:49