Off Topic / Wolfs first TGC release

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2016 14:02 Edited at: 12th Oct 2016 14:04
If you ever wonder what the projects the ancient users made before they grew experienced, this is actually pretty close to that for me.
You can really see how much of a greenhorn I was back then.
While its in no way my first game, I had about 3 completed projects before this, its my first project with an english patch to it that has been played by a slightly larger audience.

If you want to check out my cringeworthy english at the time and somewhat cocky attitude you can browse the old thread here.

The version in the video came out too dark! Its about 3 minutes long but I can understand if you can't bare how unintelligible it looks with all the pitch black areas. This is odd, I never had this problem with fraps, but that recording app that came with my gpu seems to keep doing that to old FPSC games.

The game is broken. It pulls a classic FPSC on me and only loads level 1. Which is disappointing because it was a fully fledged game with 6 levels!
I managed to get level 3 to work too, (it had some pretty good leveldesign for what I usually did at the time ), but I had no weapons thus the enemies managed to kill me. No footage

If you have played Euthanasia, the game that came after this, you might have noticed that every level has a hidden cleaver in the starting area...in case this precise thing happens.

This is a rereleased version This version uses stock FPSCreator. The original game was running on Helix Games EFX Mod...which either didn't run or cause horrible framerate for most rigs at the time. The mod delivered some neat shaders and postprocessing.

Edited version The first game had a jumping puzzle in the prison cell where you had to climb up a set of pipes to find a hidden item which would allow you to blow up the prison door. Unfortunately, most players didn't make that jump so I patched it by replacing that puzzle with a "shock grenade" hidden in the toilet. There was a note under the shelve explaining that a prisoner smuggled it into the cell in his ...rectum.

If YOU, by any chance, have an archived copy of this game floating around somewhere, would you kindly upload it? The original went down with the former filehoster "megaupload". I have found this russian website here. However, they don't have a link either.

You can see some screenshots from other levels below

So! This is pretty old as far as releases go. However, as I said, there are 3 more projects that made it before this and I am scrounging up what I still have on them at the moment. My oldest one being from 2005 (!) Sadly I have the dark feeling that I threw away the copy when I cleaned out the attic.

-Wolf

Attachments

Login to view attachments
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2016 18:38
I can see even then you were into finding nice lighting setups for your levels.

Dave
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice screenshots. I could never get more than 3 levels to compile in FPC C. What is the national language in Lux?
Julian
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
Squeezing every drop from FPS C there! Love the atmospheric and scary sounds.
Julian
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2016 18:53
Thank you Julian! Luckily, Bugsy still had a copy of this games original version so I was able to archive it. I've had about as many games that loaded past 3 levels as I had games that didn't. And that is not good. Too many games either didn't load past level 1 or forced me to remove some levels to run in standalone. I'm glad these problems seem to no longer exist in GG.

I've released a bunch of way more elaborate games than this later but I find some of them lack the enthusiasm I had when making this. This was my first wider release.

National language in Lux is Lux. However, nearly all official business is handled in french.

-Wolf
arfur9
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2017 14:12 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2017 15:15
looks really cool sad to hear its gone to the place were old games retire too

I did some games in the 2000's but they were 2D (3D rendered) they all sucked lol, but a couple ended up tutorial levels for the Visionaire game engine.
When I say sucked the concept was sound but my quality control had issues, one game ended in a Lovecraft exhibition but it was so dark 75% of people couldn't see it..

So is FPSC a waste of time? I downloaded it last night and the FPS is way better than I get with GG.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 09:53:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 09:53:11