Product Chat / Bamber Is Back

Author
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2016 16:54
I don't know how i feel about this. If GG is to layer on an existing engine, wouldn't that mean we'd have to abide by their license agreements?
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2016 19:03
I just want to chime in on the Unity/Unreal layer topic. It was a question posted elsewhere and I encouraged debate on the subject. I have not made any plans to deviate from what I have already set out to do, which is continue making fixes and tweaks with each update, and taking items from the top of the voting board. Remember that the voting board is fluid, and if you really want to push for a promotion in the ranking, you are free to make your case to the community and get some momentum to shift the order of things. Nothing is set in stone and anyone can change their votes at any time. It has happened a few times and I recall Menu Editing got to number one, and is presently fighting AI for the top spot. I am quite surprised Menu Editing got so high, but I am a willing servant and will dutifully implement it when the time comes
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2016 19:28
Glad to know.
GG following their own roadmap.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2016 21:12
I take 2/3 of all I said back and applaude on 1.32 - both the performance boost and the impact on AI is amazing.
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
AceRimmer
Reviewed GameGuru on Steam
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: classic British heavy metal mostly
Posted: 1st Oct 2016 22:22
Quoting Lee:
"Menu Editing got to number one, and is presently fighting AI for the top spot. I am quite surprised Menu Editing got so high, but I am a willing servant and will dutifully implement it when the time comes"

Boaty McBoatface, know what I mean

SpaceWurm
Game Guru Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 2nd Oct 2016 00:02 Edited at: 27th Jul 2019 14:44
A waaaay overlooked engine is NeoAxis. Which is open source and although GG has a far better community and the software is made by one man (same with NeoAxis), the ability to create a game in GG with amazing performance and graphics just isn't in scope right now. Performance is a major issue. Don't target lower PCs, it's not 2008. Obviously through MAJOR optimization in a game made in GG you can get decent visuals but let me show you a comparison. But still, even if you optimize, you need a beefee PC for a GG game.

1. I have a project in Unity which is an open world game, when you get into "zones" it loads and unloads entities to save memory. This game runs at minumum 45fps on my PC. There must be 600+ trees in the map. loading and unloading as you go.

2. In GG, an attempt to create the same map leaves me having to load new levels to compensate for the lack of performance. So you get to a point load the level and it still runs at 20+ FPS. AND my specs aren't bad. AMD 9290X, 8Gb ram, i7.

Sorry to sound like a knob, but get DX11 integrated and leave the OLD hardware behind.

@Lee, PLEASE look at NeoAxis and see what that guy has done. It really is worth your time for a bit of inspection.

Landman
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2016 10:10
a bit pricey, $695 for cheapest option, the free one is limited.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2016 10:11 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2016 10:14
I think Lee did mention this engine once.

https://www.khronos.org/vulkan/

check thiss too

https://developer.nvidia.com/Vulkan
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth.
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2016 11:14
The performance is really good now. Like, REALLY good.
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2016 11:15
I agree ertlov, Id like to know exactly how Lee did that big FPS jump.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2016 00:13
It was actually a suggestion by 'Stab In The Dark' from the community who suggested a single line of code in the physics finalization step which switches off the physics engine function to recalculate bound boxes for static geometry. As the static stuff does not move or change between levels, there was no need to calculate their bound boxes 60 times a second. This gave us a nice boost.

I am also working on another performance boost for the next update which similar shuts down static entity activity in both the entity and AI loops, and have already seen some huge gains for larger maps (levels with thousands of entities). Alas you will have to wait for the next update, but it's all part of the plan to include tweaks and improvements with every major update released.
PC SPECS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-5930K (PASSMARK:13645), NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 GPU (PASSMARK:9762) , 32GB RAM

kehagiat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2016 13:04 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2016 13:04
Just as a thought experiment: how would you feel about FPSC Classic exactly as it is now PLUS complete Lua access to all underlying DarkBasic commands? Performance should be the same as in FPSC.

How long would it take to implement this so that it runs on 64bit machines, win7, 8, 10 etc.?

PS: I proposed something similar in another topic and it was ignored, so probably I am out of touch with the community wishes.
Whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent
OldFlak
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2016 14:52
Quote: "A waaaay overlooked engine is NeoAxis."

Yeah loved that software! The only issue I had was trying to edit the terrain on a new map crashed the thing every time, which really was disappointing because the levels that came with it were really cool and performed super smooth for me, and that was on a machine with lower specs than my current one.

That led me to search for other engines after which I came across Game Guru, and the stability of Game Guru had me sold - for me it never crashes.

But yeah must dig NeoAxis out again (it is somewhere on my harddrive) and have a play

Reliquia....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2016 16:07 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2016 16:10
Quote: " Performance should be the same as in FPSC."

I think you are out of touch with the fact that performance was pretty bad in FPSC, lag was a constant moan factor. Also the latest update seems to have improved performance so there is no argument for backtracking.
"There is a vacancy for 'Village idiot' in the realm.... but I fear you may be over-qualified...." King Lear.
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 3rd Oct 2016 16:12
@rolfy

You forgot to add null space the single biggest draw back FPSC classic had
Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
There are a lot of drawbacks I could add, I think some folks forget how limiting it actually was compared to GameGuru even in early beta
"There is a vacancy for 'Village idiot' in the realm.... but I fear you may be over-qualified...." King Lear.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 3rd Oct 2016 17:13
Didn't fpsc have huge memory issues and problem exporting standalone too?

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2016 18:13
Quote: "Didn't fpsc have huge memory issues and problem exporting standalone too?"

HUGE memory issues is right, but when you tackled those, exporting was not a big issue.
kehagiat
Years of Service
User Offline
1. I am aware of the FPSCC memory cap. I did several small projects on FPSCC and never hit it.
2. For projects of the above size, I did not get any lag issues. And in fact, even with the latest update of GG, for the same size projects I still get better frame rates from FPSCC than from GG.
3. Never had export issues.

At any rate, I understand that there is not going to be any backtracking, there is too much momentum. I mentioned FPSCC+Lua as a comparison standard. I still think it would be a better option. Or maybe a nice mod of FPSCC. But, in all fairness, I have always been hoping for a different route than the one that GG has actually taken; and I would be really surprised if GG works for me anytime soon. But of course I wish it works for all of you guys.
Whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 3rd Oct 2016 20:16
Quote: "HUGE memory issues is right, but when you tackled those, exporting was not a big issue."

I never used it myself, but i'm sure there was a big issue with exporting standalone at one point. Maybe i'm thinking of X10.

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought fpsc looked pretty cool and was really fast on my machine ...
However then I put characters in
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2016 20:48
Quote: "As the static stuff does not move or change between levels, there was no need to calculate their bound boxes 60 times a second. This gave us a nice boost."

Nice one.

Quote: "I am also working on another performance boost for the next update which similar shuts down static entity activity in both the entity and AI loops, and have already seen some huge gains for larger maps (levels with thousands of entities)"

The trees could be good candidates, making the engine care about (collisionOn distance based), only when the player is near them.

3com

Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2016 08:29
Quote: "I never used it myself, but i'm sure there was a big issue with exporting standalone at one point. Maybe i'm thinking of X10."

You are right when you talk about the beginnings, We had to deliver Anderson back in 2007 with each level being an own game.
But from 1.09 and especially from 1.17 on, it was really no problem if you had a decent machine and time enough on your hands.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 11:08:36
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 11:08:36