Off Topic / Space engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
A really nice free app which may have been posted around here already but not seeing anything.

http://en.spaceengine.org/

You can create some awesome screenshots and video (non-commercial use with credit required) but for those just wanting to create a space game to share with friends it could make some nice cut scenes.
All the same simply exploring the universe is pretty cool in it's own right.

Some screenshots I created below, with some tweaking of the graphic settings it produces great looking space views.

"There is a vacancy for 'Village idiot' in the realm.... but I fear you may be over-qualified...." King Lear.
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2016 01:05 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2016 03:47
Thanks for sharing, it looks interesting! I just started the download. On my internet connection, it's gonna take a while, lol, in fact I'm gonna have to try one of the other mirror sites because after 3 minutes it hasn't downloaded a single bit. My connection isn't that slow!

I downloaded it and messed with it a bit, of course without reading the directions, and it is amazing! There are a lot of things I need to figure out (I just zoomed around the galaxy for a bit, managed to find Earth and the moon, Titan and Saturn and all it's satellites. Amazing! With al the options I see, there is a lot that can be done, but I only played with it for a few minutes. I noticed it supports Oculus Rift. Tomorrow I will install it on my desktop and actually read (some of) the instructions so I can explore the universe! Thanks again!

On a side note, would Space Engine be a cool feature request for GG?
Desktop: i7 4770@3.4Ghz, 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX 1080, 1TB SSD, 1TB HDD; Laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz, 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M , 1TB SSD.
PM
cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 3rd Sep 2016 12:21
This is brilliant Rolfy - thanks for link!

Sort of a 'No Mans Sky' without the hype
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2016 21:31 Edited at: 6th Sep 2016 21:35
Been finding some cool places, landing on planets with atmospheres and weather systems capable of life. Can't remember which galaxy I found these in but a search for life sustaining ones you do come up with some really beautiful planets. Yeah it is a more realistic simulator than No Mans Sky and so far no life forms to see etc but it is in continuous development and only one guy working on it so may take a few to get there but it is still pretty awesome to play around with. Even the barren planets and moons can be interesting with the right graphic tweaks.

"There is a vacancy for 'Village idiot' in the realm.... but I fear you may be over-qualified...." King Lear.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 14:47:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 14:47:18