Feature Creep / A Tutorial page dedicated to coding?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

It's been awhile since I've been here. Took a few months hiatus from learning so I've taken a bit of a step back.

After browsing the tutorials on this site I've noticed there are no vids for the coding process itself. As someone who is coding illiterate (and currently busy focusing on GG itself, as well as basic 3D modeling with Wings 3D), I think it's important that we have some sort of lessons on the basics since it seems that coding is what really makes a persons game separate itself from other GG made games and gives it that independent feel (ex: custom HUD, custom weapon shades, radars, storylines, etc.)

Is it possible that general coding tutorials for how to customise various features be posted?

Thanks!
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
What sort of thing do you have in mind?
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
Dagger_Valley
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi smallg,

Basically, because I'm a beginner, I'm hoping to use coding for more simple things such as (if possible) altering the HUD, weapons, controls, how the enemies respond to getting killed, on screen blood graphics when getting attacked, etc.

Pretty much the small general features just to make my game look more independent.
AmenMoses
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2016 01:36
Well my approach (admittedly I'm not a beginner as I'm a professional programmer) to Lua scripting was to get the book and then watch the twitch broadcasts. That gave me enough of a start then it was just a case of experimenting with the various commands and learning by making many mistakes.

From never having heard of Lua to black-belt in around 4 months so it can be done.

I'd be happy to contribute to some form of GG-Lua master class, maybe a GG-wiki is in order?

Been there, done that, got all the T-Shirts!
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 00:09:32
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 00:09:32