Work In Progress / The Island (working title - name will change)

Author
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2016 11:45
This is looking great belidos, cant wait to see this. Nice work there.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2016 11:59 Edited at: 29th Sep 2016 12:00
Quote: "any idea which lua command would do that? I've looked for some sort of ondeath command in global but i cant find anything for player, only entity."

I don't think there is a player script to edit anywhere. You would have to use an existing script that runs all the time. You seem to have plenty in your game In that, check the players health constantly. If it falls to 0 or below, set the flag there.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 29th Sep 2016 12:06 Edited at: 29th Sep 2016 14:57
Thanks Tarkus

Quote: "I don't think there is a player script to edit anywhere. You would have to use an existing script that runs all the time. You seem to have plenty in your game In that, check the players health constantly. If it falls to 0 or below, set the flag there."

OK i see what you mean, but wouldn't that set the player health before you re-spawn and then get overridden by the spawn setting the health?

i5, NV960 2GB, 16GB memory, 2x 2TB Hybrid, Win10.
i3 , Intel integrated graphics, 6GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAIII Win8.1.
Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.
Q6600, Intel integrated graphics, 8GB memory, 512GB Generic SATAII, Win7.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2016 13:47 Edited at: 29th Sep 2016 13:47
I've also started working on another script, i'll be removing the collectible items icons from the top bar, and adding them to a sidebar like the journal but on the left, this will display everything you collect, and how many of each item you have, and will toggle on and off by pressing I.

Intel Celeron (duel Core), Radeon integrated graphics, 4GB memory, 180gB Generic SATAII, WinVista.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
You wouldn't be resetting your health there, just the flag to set it when you respawn. If that helps. I've finally got the new version of Geforce Experience to record audio, the new version is not a great update so far. I was ready to blow earlier after recording the vid 3 times with varied results! I've done a custom HUD video which may help you do it a different way, replacing the default with your own and avoiding the issue entirely. It will be up later today probably, still waiting the 2 hours to encode, then probably longer to upload

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2016 14:32 Edited at: 29th Sep 2016 14:35
Awesome thanks DVader.

I'm putting in a lot of effort with these scripts to make them as streamlined and easy to use as possible, the reason i'm doing all this before making the levels is so that once i have all the main scripts in place it will be as simple as dropping an object/zone and adding a line to change a flag in its script for any events that occur in the game, that means putting the levels together will go much smoother and quicker without me having to worry about editing major scripts and conflicting variables.

It also means that once this game is done, i have a template i can use with any other project i build, just change the sprite images, and adjust the xy positions, and i can jump straight into level and game play design.

The other reason i'm doing it this way is because my OCPD won't let me move on until it's perfect :p

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2016 22:20
OK, here it is, the final draft for my games interface, there wil be a few tweaks here and there but this is pretty much how it will look now.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2016 17:47
Now that the majority of the scripts are in place and easily added, I've gone back to modelling, and I've gone right back to the beginning.

I decided it wouldn't male much sense starting them off on the beach without a lot of introduction, I need to explain how you got there and so on.

What I have chosen to do with the "story" is to present it as a first hand account of an incident that happened to the player in the past, a kind of a revelation of the real story after years of it being kept quiet if you will.

The game will start with a black screen and the date/time in the bottom left corner, the character "Mike" will introduce himself, tell you about his work, and begin the story, much like he's recording the story for the newspapers or something. He will end with something along the lines of "... it was Tuesday night around 11pm and I had just returned home....".

At this point you will load into the hallway of an apartment, there will be a laptop looping the skype call sound (need to find a sound that's similar but not actually the skype call to avoid copyright stuff), this is the intro area, you will have a voice call with a colleague who will send you off to meet Patrick, the captain of a fishing trawler that does some work for your organisation, who will drop you off at the island.

During the intro scene you will be prompted to gather a backpack, some food, a water bottle, fill the water bottle, collect your flashlight and some batteries, and pack a first aid kit, with text info explaining the keys and process behind, interacting with things, using the torch, eating, drinking, and healing etc.

So, anyway, enough rambling, when I decided on an apartment, I spent an hour looking through my purchased models, but couldn't find anything that was quite right for what I wanted, so I loaded up blender and knocked up a quick one bedroom apartment, here it is:

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2016 18:11 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2016 18:12
Wow Belidos, that is looking like a fantastic game. That hud looks amazing, clear and simple looking. Framerate looks good too.
Great Stuff. You have got the "It's a believable world" look, nice.
Aftershock Quad Core AMD FM2+ 3.5 GHz 8GB Motherboard and Processor, A7700k apu, Asus GT970 STRIX 4gb Nvidia gfx card.
King Korg Synth, Alesis SR18 Drum Machine, Akai MPX8 sample player, Roland Fantom XA Synth, Axus Digital AXK2 Digital Drum Kit, Novation Ultranova Synth, Waldorf Blofeld Synth.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2016 13:51 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2016 13:52
Thanks tarkus, I'm trying to make it look as professional as possible, I want to make a game that when I release it the haters on steam greenlight will say "wow was that really made in gameguru?" Instead of "gameguru? Kill it with fire!", having a nice clean usable UI/HUD goes a long way to give that effect.

Again with the " real world" look, its all about trying to make gameguru look good to shut the critics up, plus to be honest I'm a little OCD, so if it looked out of place I freak out.

Don't be so sure about the frame rate yet, so far these videos have been small areas with no AI for testing my script and models, so it may not run that well when I start adding more to it, we'll have to wait and see.

Today I should have a few hours to go over setting up the prologue and do some voice recording for the intro, if I can get the prologue donoe today I'll put another video up.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2016 16:37 Edited at: 24th Oct 2016 16:38
Now i have the apartment done, and a general layout for the furniture with placeholders, I've started making the furniture i will need:

Attachments

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2016 21:14 Edited at: 24th Oct 2016 21:15
I'm trying to get the light from the light fittings more realistic, how does this look to you guys? Any tips?

Attachments

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2016 11:07 Edited at: 25th Oct 2016 13:41
Four kitchen items so far; Sink unit, two plain units, and an oven/hob unit:

And because i was bored, a splash screen:

Attachments

Ertlov
GameGuru BOTB Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2016 15:07
AWESOME WORK!

This inventory and task system is really something great and yet unseen in GG.

You intend to also sell it?
AMD FX 8Core @ 4GHZ - 16 GB DDR4 - 2xRadeon7950 - Windows 7 Ultimate
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2016 16:01 Edited at: 25th Oct 2016 16:03
Quote: "AWESOME WORK!

This inventory and task system is really something great and yet unseen in GG."

Thanks, one of my main goals is to basically make it look as little like gameguru as possible, then shock the steamies when i reveal it's made in gameguru.

Quote: "This inventory and task system is really something great and yet unseen in GG.

You intend to also sell it?"

To be honest, with the inventory system, i probably will just do a write up on how to do it sometime, it's a little too complicated for selling.

It's not really an inventory system as in like many games where you can click and drag items, i's more just a hud that's hidden until you press I, the items don't go into the slots in order, they go in the slot assigned to them, so it's more just a set of hud icons with its own toggle enabled window.

With the quest journal system, its actually very simply done, it's two scripts, one is the actual journal, which you don't have to change, the other is a script that lists the tasks and their steps, you edit your steps into there, and if you need more you just copy paste more "if" groups, each group checks g_task to decide which to display, then in your items, or tasks just edit into its script g_task = whatever number the next task is.

So for example it would be something like:

if g_task == 3 and g_KeyPressE == 1 then

-- whatever stuff you want to do ...

g_task = 4
end

It's very simple, and only works with linear questing, it won't work with non-linear quests (although you could probably get it to with a little work, you'd have to set it up like those old choose your own adventure books "if you do this then go to this page" etc.), when i get time i'll post my scripts.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2016 14:03 Edited at: 29th Oct 2016 14:05
I've done a little more work to the prologue level.

1. Had to retexture the apartment walls as surface level due to issues with surface level, light, and solid colours (baked lights are really dim unless you adjust the surface level, and with the surface level up solid colours get weird pattern artefacts) .
2. Added glass to the windows.
3. Almost finished my kitchen furniture (need to do some tweaking of the normal maps and add door handles).
4. Started on the layout for the dockside area.

Attachments

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2016 01:06 Edited at: 1st Nov 2016 01:07
I'm following this with a lot of joy and can tell that this is quality development going on.

There are some visual choices I don't find that fitting though. Especially the background of that dock is "hard to read", meaning that the textures of the objects are not coherent (which can be hidden by some color correction later, don't worry about it.) and that the buildings are bleeding into each other visually, causing the illusion of a weird polygon blob. Perhaps spreading the buildings out a little so they are not so close to each other and working some magic with fog? (it being the same colour as the night sky can work wonders).
A lot of this is guru's dated rendering rather than anything you did but hey, I figured I'd point it out.

I have always tremendously enjoyed 3d adventures with a lot of attention to detail...there are way too few good ones! I'm looking forward to playing this

-Wolf
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2016 06:09 Edited at: 1st Nov 2016 14:26
Yeah the dock area is pretty much all placeholder in the background, and i haven't dealt with lighting yet, the buildings have just been put there quickly to hide the background buildings, there will be more gaps and slightly bigger buildings behind them to give the illusion of depth.

As to lighting, its on the same map as the apartment, so I'm working on some scripts to change the lighting when you transport to ifused and get sent to the docks, but I need to play with the lighting and fog in the editor until it's right then hard code it in a script so its just at almost default at the minute.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2016 11:36 Edited at: 1st Nov 2016 16:49
I'm actually working on some very low poly industrial building fronts for the dock area at the moment, this one's only 162 tri's..

Note: You may look at these buildings and think, hold on they're not very deep for industrial buildings, and you would be right. That's because they're only the front part of the buildings, the player won't be able to get around to the back of the buildings so there's no point having whole buildings, we just need the illusion of whole buildings

Attachments

darimc
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2016 13:47
Looking better and better with each bit of progress! I Really like the new buildings you're working on. They'll definitely be better suited to the atmosphere of your waterfront than the current ones. Keep it up!
Signatures are overrated.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2016 17:01 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2016 17:24
Some low poly background buildings.

Attachments

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2016 17:50
nice 3d models. custom media is absolutely necessary to set apart gameguru games (and these days, lots more games) and I can tell your city will look much nicer for it.
Hire Me! I model, animate, cook, clean, and texture!
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2016 18:02 Edited at: 4th Nov 2016 08:07
Thanks Bugsy.

I'm determined to make this game as much mine as i can, i'm terrified of releasing it and being accused of asset flipping, and being down graded because of that, even though i don't personally believe there's anything wrong with asset flipping if you design the environment right. I'm basically building the levels using stock/purchased media to get an idea of how it will look, then replacing all the models with my own ones.

There will still be some stock and store bought models, as there are some things i'm just not able to do, mainly organic models, like characters and animals, and characters i do make myself will probably use stock animations, but i'm hoping those will not notice so much and a mound of my own models.

One thing i really am going to need help with though, is music and audio, i don't have a musical bone in any part of my body (except maybe my bowels), so i'm on the hunt for some music that will go with it, i'm thinking along the lines of instrumentals similar (but obviously not the same) as the score for Alan Wake ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy0pAEF-VzM&index=16&list=PL39153BAB3713E86 ), i think that style would really fit in.

I'm also currently brushing up on animation in blender, specifically animations using paths. I'm going to be making a few vehicle models and have them animated to follow a path along the roads so the scenery isn't static, also on the docks some various animated objects, like a crane lifting cargo in the background, a fork lift trundling around, and so on.

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2016 20:21 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2016 20:22
Hmn, I know I wanted them big, but do you think I might have misjudged the size a little?

Attachments

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2016 20:43
OK, i'll just leave this here and back away very slowly ........

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2016 16:04 Edited at: 8th Nov 2016 22:40
Of course, we're going to need something to unload...

Attachments

Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2016 11:43
You are having a far better crane on your dock scene than I have!!

Shaping up nicely so far!!

-Wolf
Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2016 13:57
Seriously impressive Belidos, great stuff...
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2016 19:58 Edited at: 12th Nov 2016 20:51
Quote: "You are having a far better crane on your dock scene than I have!! "

It's actually a bit of an illusion, it's not that well textured, but in the distance like that with the fog it looks great, it's only there for background movement, I want to have some movement in the background to make the scene come alive. I'm working on some other animated elements, groups of super low (read human shaped blobs) quality people moving around, forklift trucks and vehicles shifting crates about, and so on, all the animations will be in the model as a single long animation, so no scripting needed, just set the base animation in the fpe and let it do it's thing.

Quote: "Shaping up nicely so far!!"

Quote: "Seriously impressive Belidos, great stuff..."

Thanks, it's nowhere near where I want it yet, there's so much more I want to do, but I just don't have time.. actually that's a lie, I do have time, i'm just not very good at using that time, every weekend I think to myself ok i'll do some hours with my game this weekend, then end up waking up late and getting engrossed in the tv or playing a computer game lol

I have done a little work today though, I've been working on the lighting in the apartment, which lead to me realising the texturing on the kitchen units was way too busy, so I gave them a face lift, I also replaced the stock desk with one of my own, my plan is to use stock media to build the levels so I can get a idea of how it will look, then work on replacing as many models as I can with my own.

Attachments

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2016 18:09 Edited at: 13th Nov 2016 18:59
A bit more work in the apartment today.

1. Replaced some furniture with my own models: TV Unit, Coffee Table, Book Case and Table.

2. Retextured the doors and doorways.

3. Reworked a few scripts to make them more consistent throughout the game, now all items that are interacted with, or need to be called to the players attention for some reason will always prompt the item name locally to the object when looked at whether active in the task chain or not. When they need to be collected for a task they will also prompt at the bottom of the screen "press E to .. etc."

Attachments

synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Those interiors look amazing ...
Great work ..
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2016 21:06 Edited at: 15th Nov 2016 23:08
Thanks Syncromesh.

I've done a little more work on the opening scene today, mainly reworking the task scripts.

1. Now, when you have a task with multiple stages, for example collecting multiple items, you can collect them in any order.
2. Items collected for tasks will now highlight in green in the task journal as you collect them.
3. Created a proper model for the kitchen tap.

Here's a video, apologies for the quality, I didn't realize that bandicam was set on super low settings, and I didn't have time to redo it.

Basically this will be the prologue to the game, more of a brief tutorial, and introduction to the storyline.

JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Great!!!
PC Specs:

Q9550@3,8GHZ - 8GB RAM - SVGA R9 280 3GB GDDR5 - HDD WD 1500TB
PM
nuncio
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2016 00:02
this is kinda impressing! i didn't know this adventure like stuff is possible with gg
http://www.nuncio-rap.de
intel core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz; 8GB RAM // NVIDIA GeForce GTX560Ti
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2016 13:28 Edited at: 18th Nov 2016 14:04
Quote: "this is kinda impressing! i didn't know this adventure like stuff is possible with gg "

There's a lot you can do with LUA, you just have to think it through logically, and on occasion use a lot of "smoke and mirrors".

I'm currently working on the scripts for the next part of my prologue, once you leave the apartment you will go down a hallway, turn a corner and head to the stairs to the exit, at which point a map will pp up and you will be offered a choice of locations to click on:

1. Head to the Museum
2. Head to the Professors home
3. Head to the Docks

At each location you will find various clues that when put together will send you on to the the next location (the docks).

One location will send you on to the docks, the other location will give you clues to a person you need to speak to, if you go to the first location then to the docks you won't know who to speak to and eventually you will be prompted to go back to either the museum or home, if you go to the second location it will tell you who to speak to but not where they are, your only option then will to be to go to the house and look for clues.

If you go straight to the docks then there will be nothing to do except wander around and explore, you will have to head back to one of the other locations.

So the task system will have a small amount of free choice, but still guide you in the right direction in your goal to complete the game.

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2016 14:14
@belidos - "smoke and mirrors" exactly, thats what i'm attempting, as long as the player is convinced and the world is believable is important, and you have done that extremely well, keep it up, great stuff.
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2016 21:17
Everything is smoke and mirrors in videogames... its just that the complexity of it may vary
(Having a working inventory interface for example or making the player believe that there is one is all the same in the end...as long as it works.)

-Wolf

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2016 09:53
Exactly like using sound effects off screen to fool the player into a massive change in the level, or moving stuff about, without actually moving anything, just using Hide(e) and Spawn(e)

Impressive interiors Belidos. I'm going to watch this game, very original looking.
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2016 12:51
Thanks its a long way off of what I want so far, but it's slowly getting there.

Another example in my work so far of smoke and mirrors, when you look out of the window it looks like your in an apartment building looking down on to a street, the street looks like its part of a city, but all I've done is put the rooms on top if a hill, there is no building, and the view is a long road piece with a line if background buildings extending far enough so no matter what angle you look through the window you will never see terrain, just buildings, so no city either

Tarkus1971
Audio Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2016 12:55
clever Belidos, very clever.
granada
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2016 17:19
This is coming along realy well,nice work.

Dave
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
AMD FX (tm)-9590 Eight-core Processor
31.96 GB RAM
1920x1080,60 Hz
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
This has come on leaps and bounds since I last visited. Nice work!

Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2016 15:00 Edited at: 6th Dec 2016 15:01
Thanks.

I've been working on some models for some of the other areas you need to visit before heading out to the island..

Attachments

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2016 11:52
Wow, you've come on leaps and bounds, loving the UI

Keep up the fantastic work
PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Geforce 760gtx 2GB
Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
When I say it has come on leaps and bounds, it was in no way saying it was rubbish to begin with, I just mean I like the level work you have done with your own models. When I last visited and helped you with your HUD and scripting stuff it was just an island with trees Your interior scene is very nice and annoyingly similar to an idea I have for my own game Looking very good I think.

Just noticed Emry's saying the same thing It's definitely coming along.

Emrys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2016 15:48 Edited at: 7th Dec 2016 15:48
Sorry Dvader, I didn't see your comment Both thinking the same thing.
PC - Windows 7 64bit, Intel i5, 12Gb Ram, 1TB WD Black, Evga Geforce 760gtx 2GB
Laptop - Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Core i7-3632QM processor, 8GB of RAM, 1Tb Hdd, Nvidia Geforce GT 740m
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2016 17:12 Edited at: 27th Dec 2016 17:13
I've been working on a segment system that I can add multiple textures so I can use it for multiple indoor scenes, here's a quick video testing to make sure AI works in it (ignore the dark brown wood texture on some of the walls, that's just a placeholder).

cybernescence
GameGuru Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Cogwheel Chronicles
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 09:02
Got some really good atmosphere and ideas in here. Like it a lot. Need more adventure games to play .

Looks like you have a perfectionism streak in you, hope that doesn't mean you don't get time to finish and release something.

Cheers.
warlock12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 12:03
"La Isla" has to be steamed !!! An alpha maybe and then updates ... maybe? The system proposed by "The Forest" is worth emulating.
The game is a serious thing (El juego es una cosa seria)
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2016 19:19
Absolutely enjoying what you do with this! One of these titles I really hope won't get cancelled.

-Wolf

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 15:57:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 15:57:11