Product Chat / How To Make This Scene Better

Author
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just so we're on the same page, personally I have never had to delete the dbo for texture changes, I do have to restart GG for changes but never have to delete anything."

Perhaps for all it works differently. I do not remember that deleted DBO. Just restarted GG. But you must admit that this is not correct. When do 30-40 editions of the same texture, falls 30-40 times to restart the GG. This is a big flaw in the process for the artist.
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2016 00:23 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2016 00:26
Quote: "Perhaps for all it works differently. I do not remember that deleted DBO. Just restarted GG. But you must admit that this is not correct. When do 30-40 editions of the same texture, falls 30-40 times to restart the GG. This is a big flaw in the process for the artist."
I agree it would be nice to have a way to refresh scene content without closing GG, but far as I know dbo has never been deleted for texture changes. With recent versions the dbo is auto updated for model changes so there should never be a reason to delete it at all really.
Teabone
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2016 01:40
Quote: " And same thing with models ,the models we have are't bad but the are missing details for example the skeleton looks great but when you kill him he bleeds and falls like a human. Last time i checked skeletons don' t have blood and when the die they should break apart into a pile of bones ."

Sounds like you're referring to my lighting test video. I made that scene only to test the lightmapping process. The skeletons were put together quick and haven't yet been assigned the proper material index yet (i'll probably assign them as wood). Also the death animation is just a basic ragdoll. Nothing to do with GG itself or any of its officially released content.

On topic, I can say that with doing more and more tests with lightmapping and using better quality models you can achieve good results. Playing around with the brightness and constant sliders helps as well.
Twitter - Teabone3 | Youtube - Teabone3 | Twitch - Teabone3

i7 -2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz - Windows 7 - 8GB RAM - Nivida GeForce GT 740
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I also find restarting GG when updating textures to be painful. It makes fine tuning difficult at best. Definitely could be improved.

I find GG has a number of oddities with the graphics. I include this little video as an example of some of the things I have noticed with real-time lighting on occasion. It could be down to the models possibly, but in this you can clearly see through objects at certain angles. I also see light rays visible through buildings when they shouldn't as well on occasion.

It looks like reflections to me, but on the wrong side of the door

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.
m2design
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@DVader
Question... if you load this map into GG and set the entity shader to medium do the strange reflection/light leaks go away when you run test mode?
As you already know the realtime shadows only function at the highest settings. If the problems go away then the most likely cause is that the models
do not follow the requirements for realtime shadows to work as intended.
I believe realtime shadows, to work as intended, all horizontal shapes (roofs and overhangs) require a horizontal thickness of a minimum of 5 units. Vertical shapes (Walls) require a minimum of 3 units. I have found 6 units works best for sloped roofs.
Windows 10,64 bit|AMD FX-6200 Six-core-3.80 Ghz |CPU PASSMARK 6,142 |Memory 10GB |NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 SC |GPU PASSMARK 4,114
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2016 15:00 Edited at: 30th Apr 2016 15:12
@m2design
No, even setting to lowest settings the issues remains. In fact, I did that video awhile back and reloading the map into GG I've found not only does it still have the same weird reflections, the door also vanishes completely quite often, I can only think that is an occlusion issue (It is. A quick test verified it). The door is a free object on the Store I believe, most of the map is from the same artist. It's definitely more than 5 units thick from what I can see.

It's a weird issue and probably something to do with the model. But it is a good way of showing the weird light ray problem you get in GG quite often.

Even on a baked map this issue persists. So whatever is causing it is relevant to both real-time and baked.

SPECS: Q6600 CPU. Nvidia 660GTX. 8 Gig Memory. Win 7.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2016 22:28
Quote: "the door also vanishes completely quite often, I can only think that is an occlusion issue (It is. A quick test verified it)"

I experienced this problem in a mine gate, I remember that I solved collapsing all parts, except the animated ones.
Sometimes just setting "IsInmobile=yes" , I've got fix some other.

All those happens to me when animation complete (door close)>door vanishing>sometimes reappears when I go closest, or change camera angle of view, still the door have collision, and sometimes even open and close while remain invisible, I notice it because the sounds.

I must add I'm talking about an animated doors with various pieces, even doorway, plus the animated ones (the real door).

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
wizard of id
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: CSGO
Posted: 1st May 2016 09:16
This has been reported to lee, and he was able to recreate the issue, when it will be fixed, I am not sure.Light rays has always been an issue, there isn't a fix for it.
Win7 pro, Intel 2500K @3.7ghz 660GTX 8gig ram 16tb HDD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 23:09:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 23:09:08