Off Topic / Greetings! Complete and Utter Newbie Here..... Just saying Hello!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2016 15:10
Well Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post the "Hello my name is" post, so I'll do it here in "Off Topic"
I just purchased GG, and am really impressed with the features of it for someone like me, which does not even know which way is up when creating a game.
I am going to be tinkering with some modeling and game making for a while, since it has always been on my mind, but never pursued.
I have been silently browsing this forum for a week or so now, looking at the various things that has been added to GG over the course, and the sheer amount of talent here collectively. Really awesome place.
Now, with all that being said, I'll probably have a lot of questions, and such about GG and blender, as it was the one I chose to try and model with since it seemed very powerful and free. Being a single parent of two, money is very tight for me at times!! I could and will (very soon) go crazy in the GG store!! Lots of nice things in there I have seen.
I am still thinking of a good original concept for a game, I will prob. decide on it after more research on GG and what all it can do, especially with the proper script plugins and such.
I have been gaming since the days of Pong and Atari 2600. I have seen a lot of advancement in video games, and now want to make my mark.

Well, if you made it this far, thanks for reading, you must not have much to do, sorry for the rambling....

Have a great day everyone!
Rick

Country of origin: USA (Central Time Zone)
Current Rig i5 6600 Skylake
R 7 260x 2Gig
16gig Ram
Current games played:
Star Wars The Old Republic
Net 7 EnB Emu (earth and beyond was my first MMO)
TF2 (MvM mainly)
PvZ Garden Warfare
Borderlands 2
Fallout 4
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome to the Community ...
Any problems or help please just ask
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
smallg
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
welcome, it's nice to first step into the world of making games but don't underestimate how long it can take to actually create a game no matter which engine.
i will say that while using GG it's best to aim for small levels and expand the game over multiple levels, its a fine balance in GG because too small a level and people wont like all the loading screens between the levels and too much content and the game itself can be sluggish to respond.

if you havent already seen them then the official GG youtube videos are a great place to learn, such as these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sua3g93ngI
lua guide for GG
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=398177770
windows 10
i5 @4ghz, 8gb ram, AMD R9 200 series , directx 11
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2016 18:29
welcome on board...
and if you need some help.. just ask.

harry
SOS help for shelter :
http://www.worldofcrowdfunding.com/shelter-car-asiel-auto-coche-de-protectora

Harry
When nothing goes right, go left
PM
.:glorifiednG:.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2016 20:20
Thank You guys for the warm welcome... I have played around with the demo games that came with GG, really cool, I hope the AI of the enemies can be improved, I found a couple kinda too easy. Possibly with some enhanced scripting?

Oh yes Smallg, I have watched a few of those, that's kinda what got me into it. showing the ease of use and such.

I already have a little test map i am doing.. Thinking of calling it "Slingshot Wars" simular to the old TFC sniper map, 2fortsniper. Only weapon will be slingshot. looks really fun to play around with.

I'll post my little tech question under the correct thread I do have one.

Looking forward to having a little fun with GG

nG Rick
PM
Jerry Tremble
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2016 04:05
I'm a little late to the welcome wagon, but I gotta say my "Welcome aboard!" I, too, grew up with Pong, Atari, Commodore, Apple, TRS-80, TI-994a, etc. I, to this day, have never completed a game. I do not expect I ever will, but who knows, maybe I will surprise even myself! I started back with those machines in my youth with game creation in mind, but time and life took over and I had to get a day job. This is a hobby for me, and I've been with TGC and their products for over twelve years! I can say this: This is the best community, ever.
Quote: "does not even know which way is up when creating a game. "

In game it's the Y axis. In Blender, it's the Z axis. This has never been an issue on exporting for me with Directx, but with some formats it can be, so pay attention!

Quote: "Well, if you made it this far, thanks for reading, you must not have much to do"

When my day job is over, (sometimes 10-12 hrs. long) you are correct! I have nothing to do except this! LOL! (Oh, and keep the dog entertained).

Don't be intimidated by Blender, btw. It, like anything else, is easy once you know how to use it. It is very "keyboard shortcut" oriented, and that adds to the complexity, but it actually streamlines production for those who are proficient with it. I, for one, am not very proficient, however, every week or so I learn a new superpower in Blender that I never knew before. I've tried learning Blender on and off for years, but only in the past few years has their been enough good information available online to help tame that beast.
MAME Cab PC: i7 4770@3.4Ghz (passmark 9945), 12GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX645 (passmark 1898); Shiny new laptop: i7 4800MQ@2.7Ghz (passmark 8586), 16GB RAM, Win 10/64, GeForce GTX870M (passmark 3598); Old laptop: i5@2.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Win 7/64, Intel 3000 graphics
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 01:02:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 01:02:41