Off Topic / Say HI : If you have used Unity too.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
It would be good to know how many of us are, Unity users too.
PM
Wolf
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 09:52
I have moved this to off topic. Please make sure to post in the right place.

Used unity before, mostly to get models ready for clients. I didn't like its interface back then and doubt that much has changed.
I was not so keen on the large amount of young people pretending to be professionals back then but other than that the user base was reasonably friendly.

I just preferred the unreal engine at the time, still do now, and tgc's tools.

-Wolf
"When I contradict myself, I am telling the truth"
"absurdity has become necessity"
msl_manni
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted in "Product Chat" as unity is also a product.
Thanks for shifting it to proper forum.

Well I like the simple interface as in unity, once you see some vids on youtube, its quiet easy. That is also how I learned GG. But Unreal is quiet intimidating, its very nested and not easy to remember. Its like comparison between Blender and Max, once you know Max it always stays in your memory.

I am mostly interested in GG because of easy Multi Player and Models. Though the amount of experience and my code base in Unity is inkling me to stick with Unity. Things are nowhere near in GG for me to do anything useful with. But I will keep GG with me. That way I can use these assets in Unity.

Wish that GG was more advanced.
PM
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2016 15:28
Quote: "Posted in "Product Chat" as unity is also a product."

As this is the GameGuru Community Boards, which is run by TGC; I would think it would be rather obvious that it wasn't meant to include products from other companies.

Perhaps you could list the things you see as a hindrance to getting something working with GameGuru, in a thread of your own design? You may get some feedback on it.

As far as Unity goes; it's a great piece of kit, with a solid foundation and large user-base. Of course, not everyone has the time or knowledge-base to tackle it (online videos or not). People have to use what they feel most comfortable with, and what will get the job done for them. Whether it's Unity, UDK, or even GameGuru; most people don't even attempt to delve into what the program is really capable of. Instead, they hop from one program to the next; never accomplishing much of anything the whole while. Just like UDK; Unity has been around for many years, with many developers working on it.

Personally; I plan on giving it a whirl, if anything to see about a relevant art asset pipeline.
Intel Core i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
PM
msl_manni
Years of Service
User Offline

I purchased 400$ assets last year at Unity Asset Store. Which are very useful my projects. Projects which can only be made in unity.

And I saw very cheap DLC here too, so I bought it for my projects. You cant have a DLC without the product on Steam, the way DLC is being update, owning GG is necessary for updates.

If I own a product, I would like to use it.

I know TGC from the Darkbasic period so I thought to buy GG and supposed that there would be all commands related to Camera, RayCasting etc will be available in GG too.

But even after email to Lee and posting on Steam forums, all I get is a reply that it will be available only when it gets on "voters list" top position. Lol. I suppose 2-3 years later.

Is exposing simple commands to LUA, so much trouble.

Its much more involving to port your Unity Projects to Steam. Whereas with GG you can easily put it on Steam. So there are some benefits with your GG projects. But I suppose you dont have enough experience about this as you dont know Unity.

PM
Anna Claire
Years of Service
User Offline
Been using for the passed year but never can complete anything I saw game guru love the interface so hopefully I will be able to finish something and learning unity for the passed few months should help a bit even though I suck at coding anything.

However I can't seem to make up my mind when it comes to picking what engine to choose they're just so many.
PM
Dagger_Valley
Years of Service
User Offline
Not gonna lie, I tried Unity on my first crack at video game development. But I failed .

I even bought a beginners guide too, which now serves as a stand for my laptop in order to tilt the keyboard into a more comfortable position haha.

There was a lot of information and I just felt overwhelmed by it. Pathetic excuse, I know. But I'm simply far to busy with my job and other things in my daily life that didn't allow me to go as deep into it as I wanted.

So I decided to try a more novice friendly engine which led me to Game Guru.

And so far GG has not disappointed!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 02:04:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 02:04:35