Product Chat / Is it legal to use gameguru provided art?

Author
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought I would ask this question before I did too much. I wish to use the art work for a game not made with Gamguru. This is NOT referring to TGC-community or store artwork. I am only using the works from the medieval pack specifically. I wish to use modified (but potentially identifiable) works from this pack. They would be used as 2d sprites and thus the original 3d's would not be distributed. In short, is it allowed?
My blog site, free artwork, scripts, textures etc.

http://jadenstockartwork.blogspot.com/
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
You are free to use the stock content in other engines or any game you create .... Commercial or non commercial..
Your only restriction is selling the standalone models as your own .... What you want to do sounds fine ...

Hope that helps
The only person ever to get all his work done by "Friday" was Robinson Crusoe..
PM
exadion
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Wonderful! Originally I just started using snapshot from a game I made in game guru to make some quick sprites for proof of concept, Then I actually found I very much liked the look of my town.
My blog site, free artwork, scripts, textures etc.

http://jadenstockartwork.blogspot.com/
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually I would love to see what your creating if you ever post a video
PM
Polaraul
GameGuru TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
synchromesh wrote: "You are free to use the stock content in other engines or any game you create .... Commercial or non commercial.."

I was just curious if this extends to commercial works of 2D art?
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I was just curious if this extends to commercial works of 2D art?"

Can you be more specific ?
PM
lordjulian
Years of Service
User Offline
I have considered using GameGuru to produce landscape 'paintings'. Would I then be allowed to sell my pictures?
Julian
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have considered using GameGuru to produce landscape 'paintings'. Would I then be allowed to sell my pictures?"

Absolutely and why not ...Its just another way of creating art with another tool...
Looking in the screenshot section you could make incredible scenes .... Obviously it would have to be your own creations.
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

On the same principle, I made screenshots from a commercial game (Serious Sam 3).
From these screenshots, I reproduced objects using 3D software.

My objects are only copies, but for some I used the same textures ...

My question is the same as Exadion : Do I have the right to distribute these objects with the GG community, even for free ?

Below few examples of duplicated objects...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 04:16 Edited at: 11th Feb 2016 04:23
Mariokiki, if the models and textures are copies made by yourself entirely then I don't see a problem, if you screen grabbed the textures and put them on your models then you might be breaching copyright. Even though you aren't directly using the texture you are still using them in part which would be enough to say you were breaking the license on them.
If you used textures taken from the game itself then you are definitely breaking the license.

In the same way as any Artist creating media is basing his models on original architecture you are basing your architecture on their design so that isn't an issue provided you don't use any part of the other artists work.

When it comes to textures like these there is no reason to use ones from the game, you can find plenty of free to use material textures for buildings online.
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
Rolfy is correct .... If your models are 100% your own work then that should be fine but you are treading close to the edge using the same textures even if they come from screenshots and not the actual textures...
PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for your answer Rolfy.

The original models use several textures on them, and as you know GG uses only one texture by object.
I actually used some original textures of the game, mixed with others (found on the web) in order to create only one big texture.

I understand I need to change all the textures parts from the original model... After that, I would be in legality !

PS : I work in this way because I'm not good designer but I like to create 3D objects... and I don't do that for money but just for fun, like many people in this forum I guess ...
PM
synchromesh
Forum Support
Years of Service
User Offline
It would be a shame if you didn't redo them ..... They look like Great Models ...
PM
3com
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2016 14:38
And this a very good system to learn. Sometime I've downloaded some free rigged train model, just for see how the artist does, for do it myself; with that model plus video tuto, I've rigged my own. (unfortunatelly I've lost in my last crash).

Well, some day maybe I want to redone, but there is a lot work for do it.

3com
Laptop: Lenovo - Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz

OS: Windows 10 (64) - Ram: 4 gb - Hd: 283 gb - Video card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

PM
Mariokiki
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys,

I don't think it will be very long to redo or replace the only part of the "dupplicated" texture...

For Egyptian type monuments, it should be easy to found them on the Web... without copyright on the pictures...

I'll get back to work offering you my own creations...

Thanks !
PM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-24 15:53:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-24 15:53:48