Product Chat / Steam Workshop

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know id this has been brought up before (I'm sure it has), but wouldn't it be good if users had access to the Steam Workshop in order to share their content (both free and paid). I'm sure there is a large number of users who have never visited the Game Guru website or been into the forums and the Steam Workshop would be an excellent place to post UGC and reach a wider audience. this would also make it easier (at least for Steam users) to browse through rather than visiting the forum.
PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 19:39 Edited at: 6th Feb 2016 19:45
At the moment Steam workshop support is limited to sharing maps.

You can share easily on the forums for free and via the store if you want to sell media. We make it very obvious to users there is a forum and a website in the application and there are multiple buttons to the store, so I think most users are aware they exist.

As for selling via Steam workshop, that would mean the artist will get much less money from their sales of media, compared to using the TGC Store. As Steam take a very large cut. For this reason and others we will be sticking to the store for the foreseeable future, and free media can be shared on the forums.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
Belidos
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: The Game
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 19:49
That last sentence sold it for me, Steam are major money grabbers when it comes to the workshop, selling through the TGC store is much better.
display mode error
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "At the moment Steam workshop support is limited to sharing maps."

I am confused by what you mean. From what I can currently see there is nothing relating to Game Guru in Steam Workshop. Will this be coming in the future? A map sharing platform would be cool.

I agree it is very obvious there is a forum, website and store to people. But I can see some people being put off. I have had a tough time myself trying to link my Steam account with the Game Guru website. It was a real pain for some reason and I'm still having problems trying to even edit my account details. It keeps displaying my forum name as 'display mode error' and it won't let change anything, which is annoying. But that's just my personal experience.

I agree the forum is easy to use if you have a specific thing your looking for (you can just type it in search), but is just a pain if you just want to browse through the script or free models section and see thread topics as vague as 'free model' or 'free script', which is very unhelpful.

I agree that maybe 'paid' content may not be considered as an option and why you would want to keep it in the TGC store. I thought I would bring this up as a topic for people who use the Steam platform almost exclusively (not me) and as way of easily sharing free media with a wider audience. It might also attract more users to Game Guru by allowing them to view how much free media Game Guru has through the Workshop (people like free stuff). Games like 'Skyrim' for example are literally sold on there user generated content. It might even be a 'showcase' to allow user to see what an artist has created and encourage them to visit the Game Guru store. But at the end of the day it's your guys decision. I thought I would just let you know how I felt.

Many thanks
PM
The Next
TGC Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 23:19
The map sharing is automatic when you create a multiplayer game, to allow other players to play your map. You cannot actually upload to the workshop at the moment. However it is something we may look at so you can share maps.

As for the linking with Steam we are working on improving this, we have just launched a new website and we aim to improve the Steam linking as a future update. Regarding your forum name if you want that changed you will need to contact an admin, such as myself and we will be able to change your name to whatever you want, you can only choose your forum name once.

We always take user feedback on board so thank your for the comments
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz (Passmark: 9021), 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked (Passmark: 8056)
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 23:31 Edited at: 6th Feb 2016 23:37
Quote: "is just a pain if you just want to browse through the script or free models section and see thread topics as vague as 'free model' or 'free script'"
This is something which should be addressed since there is no reason why anyone uploading free media cant put a clearer description in the title, this makes it easier to find in a search and since free downloads are now limited on the store then the free board is likely to be swamped.

If I see a free model offered that simply says 'free object' I avoid it as usually anyone who has taken time to script,model and texture will want to do it right and describe it properly, after all a few hours of work deserves a few extra seconds to do this. I won't go into why I would avoid it here as the reason would irk some folks who do this kind of thing but I wont touch it unless the Artist is already well known and those guy's don't do that kind of thing anyhow
display mode error
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2016 23:44 Edited at: 6th Feb 2016 23:44
Oh you mean multiplayer maps? I understand now, thanks for clarifying. A map sharing platform would be a nice feature. You could upload a map you have created and other users could use or edit those maps to use in there games. You could even build entire games or 'levels' and upload them to the Workshop and then have other users edit those 'levels' to either create new 'versions' of those level they can then share again. This could also be used as a way to encourage collaborations with other users.

It was a pain to set up, but I can use the forum and the store etc and I don't seem to have any problems with accessing the site, so I am not really bothered about my name displaying 'display mode error'.

Thank you anyway
PM
display mode error
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "If I see a free model offered that simply says 'free object' I avoid it as usually anyone who has taken time to script,model and texture will want to do it right and describe it properly"

I agree but it seems there is a great deal of threads that are just labelled in really vague way as simply 'free model' or 'free object' etc
PM
HarryWever
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2016 00:39
Quote: "why anyone uploading free media cant put a clearer description in the title"

Yeah i understand that, and i do agree that it is difficult to find a specific item, I called my free thread Dagored's free models, because i wanted everything in one thread and not flood the forum with each time a new thread.
But maybe i must change that for easier finds.
Or in the first post a sort of item list.

Harry

Harry
PM
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2016 00:56 Edited at: 7th Feb 2016 01:05
Quote: "Yeah i understand that, and i do agree that it is difficult to find a specific item, I called my free thread Dagored's free models, because i wanted everything in one thread and not flood the forum with each time a new thread."
Yeah I get that one and it is fine

What I am referring to is the individual items threads, if an Artist wants to keep everything in one thread then I feel that is of interest in a search since there is likely to be a lot of models available, all the same if you keep the first post updated with available downloads the user wont have to be reading through it all searching for the downloads. Smallg's script thread is a good example of this kind of format to follow.

Unless you got a list in first post that all items are called 'free object'

What really gets my goat is a 'pack' of free objects which invariably turn out to be 'free' models the author didn't create some of these don't even have screenshots and even if they do it takes someone in the know to point it out by which time the damage is done and some users already downloaded and put in their library. They run into licensing issues they might never learn they had till too late.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-25 01:49:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-25 01:49:47